• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smile ChildCure 38

Warning: Picture loaded

2ZJQL.jpg
2ZK1v.jpg

Oh God

Ooooh God

OOOOOH GAAAWD

2ZL4Q.gif
2ZLcu.gif

OOOOOOH GOD

Smile KidCure Transformations and attacks

That's called a gun but...

2REMq

Here it is. CAUTION: YURI (nsfw I guess)

There's a whole series of these by the artist. Let's just say that SDBurton's is the only one that is able to be avatar'd :lol

I picked the wrong time to hit the too many images. But :O

Tenumi

Banned
Future Diary: 24

So this is the second Yuno, who killed the first Yuno, and was going to go back in time and kill the third Yuno so that she could live with the third Yukki until starting everything over again. Think I got that figured out now. Never-the-less, Deus messes up her plan, saving the Ninth so she can save Yukki so he can save Yuno from Yuno, and...

My brain hurts.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

NeonZ

I don't see how Precure fans can like this period.

Based on what I've seen some Cure fans saying in other forums, they seem to love it just because it has had quite a few plot episodes and (in universe) smart characters, differently from Smile's crew. Because the plot being extremely mediocre apparently isn't a problem as long as it's there. I really don't get their opinion at all regarding that show...

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Episode 7
tumblr_mn9ztdc24Y1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mn9ztdc24Y1qbxqfpo2_500.png

How odd that we both share the same OTP for this. Hayama feels like the one who ought to have been the lead (all his suggestions and everything are that which the good and perfect protagonist would say and whose plans and suggestions would always work) but just somehow, the writer decided to go the other way with his character. I kind of like it. I kind of do share quite a few traits as Hiki and had those same thoughts back in the day and sometimes even still today even the phone thing I always and still do. Thankfully no one bugs me that much like the teacher. Fun episode.

Based on what I've seen some Cure fans saying in other forums, they seem to love it just because it has had quite a few plot episodes and (in universe) smart characters, differently from Smile's crew. Because the plot being extremely mediocre apparently isn't a problem as long as it's there. I really don't get their opinion at all regarding that show...

And this is why I'm here, because people have sense.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was about to go for one of the more intimate ones but I didn't want to push my luck after getting pm'd by Mumei recently.

care sharing the story on this?

Sure. (nsfw).

Edit: not risking it here lol

actually, scratch what I said before, this should be your avatar.

I wish they'd also have the characters not transformed as well, but then I guess they'd have to actually sculpt more of them instead of just painting their eyes differently...

Well now I'm just feeling worse and worse about this purchase all the time.

bubububu, plot is easily the worst part of Precure. It's always babby's first good vs. evil narrative and even when it's not it's just a vehicle for the espousal of virtues. Remind me never to go seeking this dark side of the fanbase that values it over antics.

CorvoSol

Slayers 18

So we finally make it to Sairaag and are introduced to Perfect Waifu Sue Sylphiel, aka Worst Girl for the foreseeable future. In true Worst Girl fashion, her name is the only one Gourry can be bothered to remember, and she always calls him Gourry Dear and so on and so on. I think you're not meant to like Sylphiel, though, as this is Slayers, and absolutely every aspect of this show is meant to be a send up of Fantasy and RPG tropes. As such, I expect she's meant to be a send up of canon love interests.

And so, just as Fire Emblem Awakening's Sumia is truly Worst Girl, awful, pie-baking lame queen, Sylphiel is a good cook, soft-spoken, but can definitely contribute and totally won't be a waste of your time to build up white mage.

Even though the party already has a perfectly competent white mage in the form of Amelia.

But anyway Rezzo is back because we have to make fun of how being dead redeems you of past evils (which Zel never bought into in the first place) and speaking of, Zelgadis rejoins the party.

Lina, Gourry, Amelia and Zel are more or less the permanent party. Everyone else is a guest and can be expected not to stay on for the next season.

SDBurton

care sharing the story on this?

It was back when I had this as an avatar:
3Q6JsHp.png

and was posting in the gaming threads. :lol

Got a msg from Mumei saying that my avatar was overly risque and that I need to change it. ;_;

I'll see what I can do. Seems a little tough with Mako being so far down there on Rikka. :D

Tenumi

Banned
Future Diary: 25 & 26 (COMPLETE)

And so the story falls to a close.
Yukki is the new god of the 2nd world, by virtue of Yuno stabbing herself instead of him. Yukki becomes the only human left in that world, with only MurMur left at his side. The 3rd world is safe, and will continue without the Survival Game ever existing.

HAPPY END

--------------------------------------------------------

I managed to stay spoiler free throughout this entire series, so hurray for that. As for everything that happened, well... I really liked it. Yeah, the plot was somewhat hard to follow at times, with all the Diary owners and later worlds, but it had a clear, concise road that it never deviated from. It was certainly bloody, something I thought I was prepared for. Turns out you can only take so many decapitations and knife stabs over a short period of time. Fanservice and Nudity didn't really detract from the story at all, which is good. The best part of the finale, though, was
seeing the futures of all the main characters
. That is something that I wish every longer-running series would do. You invest so much time into characters that you want to see some long-lasting payoff.

Anyway, under my rating scale, I give Future Diary a...

9/10

Future Diary: 25 & 26 (COMPLETE)

And so the story falls to a close.
Yukki is the new god of the 2nd world, by virtue of Yuno stabbing herself instead of him. Yukki becomes the only human left in that world, with only MurMur left at his side. The 3rd world is safe, and will continue without the Survival Game ever existing.

HAPPY END

--------------------------------------------------------

I managed to stay spoiler free throughout this entire series, so hurray for that. As for everything that happened, well... I really liked it. Yeah, the plot was somewhat hard to follow at times, with all the Diary owners and later worlds, but it had a clear, concise road that it never deviated from. It was certainly bloody, something I thought I was prepared for. Turns out you can only take so many decapitations and knife stabs over a short period of time. Fanservice and Nudity didn't really detract from the story at all, which is good. The best part of the finale, though, was
seeing the futures of all the main characters
. That is something that I wish every longer-running series would do. You invest so much time into characters that you want to see some long-lasting payoff.

Anyway, under my rating scale, I give Future Diary a...

9/10

You should check out Mirai Nikki Redial, and Mirai Nikki Paradox

SDBurton

Nearly choked on this instance. ANYWAY

Smile Precure 39

Final Smile episode for today, will watch the movie later. Ending this tomorrow.

SOOOOOOO MUCH PAIRING MATERIAL! OOOH SO MUCH! CLEARLY, This was the best use of a fairy tale ever in Pretty Cure.

Glad I was able to keep my mouth shut from ruining any moment from that episode. I knew you would love it!

Alright I made one (
three different versions
) but it's pretty steamy. Feared I'm gonna get sniped if I post outside AnimeGaf.

Dresden

I don't think Beautiful Dreamer is all that different from Oshii's later works with where it goes.

Well, that's why I think it's representative of his overall range. For me it's a nice bridge between his more slapstick works to the introspection and reflection of his later projects. Gosenzosama was like that too, with the physical comedy giving way to oblique symbolism and the surreal.

CorvoSol

Gun x Sword 15

NOOOOOOOOOOOO VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh snap, things're gettin' all heated up now! And It looks like both Worst Girl Priscilla and the Eldora 5 are on their way to bail out Van in what is sure to be a super awesome mecha all star showdown. Can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

Meanwhile, Wu seems to be going somewhere with his trash talk about how Van can't let go of the past, but I think it's pretty lame of these people to ask him to get over the fact that their "comrade" brutally murdered Van's wife for no apparent reason.

Like seriously, The Claw has murdered, in brutal fashion, two women on their wedding days, and all his underlings know this and are cool with it. It's like sticking with a guy you know is a rapist because he also has the best plan for sorting out the economy.

Hataraku Maou-Sama 8

Service! And Maou has no tact with his suggestions, typical main character.

In case you were like Emi and didn't get obvious clues
Kimono girl came through a Gate from Ente Isla to watch over the two, and she's not the attacker from last episoder

2ZQ08.gif

Marvel at her observation.

Articalys

Hataraku Maou-sama! ep.8

There is absolutely no way I could have predicted this would end up being one of the most consistently entertaining shows of the season for me.

-----------------------------

Well, I guess I should make my seasonal power ranking for now.

Greatly enjoying:
Gargantia
Maou-sama

Enjoying:
Titan
Yuyushiki
Muromi (leaning towards average)

Average:
DeSu2
Oregairu

Stockholm syndrome:
Oreimo S2

Space Brothers:
Space Brothers

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hataraku Maou-sama 08:

BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL!!

*ahem*

Anyhoo, Chiho continuously proves to be the best girl, Kimono continues to be the funniest, Emi is... there I suppose. At least Emi + Kimono are a funny combination to watch. I love the pacing of this show, it's what makes the show just... work.

Well, that's why I think it's representative of his overall range. For me it's a nice bridge between his more slapstick works to the introspection and reflection of his later projects. Gosenzosama was like that too, with the physical comedy giving way to oblique symbolism and the surreal.

That's a fair assessment. I suppose another reason for my opinion is that I haven't watched much, and of what I've watched not particularly liked much, of Oshii's work on Urusei Yatsura TV. Beautiful Dreamer was way more interesting when it went into the surreal and dreamlike as opposed to the early antics that grounded it in the franchise.

cajunator

Banned
There is a substantial amount of cute on this page.
also, why does Maou-sama's art style and character designs keep changing? Its wildly inconsistent.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Alright I made one (
three different versions
) but it's pretty steamy. Feared I'm gonna get sniped if I post outside AnimeGaf.

oh wow, I would have felt bad if you'd actually taken me seriously and paid the ultimate price for it :lol

Black Jack - 2

Now THIS was the episode that got me hooked when watching this for the first time. The scenes that play in this episode from the halfway point are just as suspenseful as a medical drama needs to be. It was also the episode where we learn why he asks for so much money from his patients, because he thinks that his prices are nothing compared to the cost of a life.

The payoff of this episode was also good, as it shows that while this character is supposed to be "the god with the scalpel", he's not perfect, and can suffer setbacks as seen in this episode.

But what's really interesting about this show is the fact that, while it's a medical drama, not every episode involves a hospital or an operation of some kind like in the next episode.

I don't watch a lot of other medical dramas, so I can't say if those other medical dramas do that as well.

jgminto

Hataraku Maou-sama! 8

Amazing! Oh god Chiho! Too strong for my heart!

This episode was so much better than the previous. The comedy was much stronger and Suzano was so much better after her lackluster introduction. I definitely enjoyed her fish out of water moments. Most of the minor characters had strong moments too, like the manager and Emi's friend. Mcgronalds battle with Sentucky is going to be super fun.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou 1

This OP song sucks ass.

But this animation is gorgeous, wow. Like, crazy good. It's really quite the unusual style, but it's so appealing.

dzrXpj6.jpg

Like, damn, son. Shit's tight.

It'll be interesting to see how they reshape the culture and characters, changing the setting to space. I'm sure there will be some very cool twists because of that.

I'm really liking the design and showing of the Count. And the English VAs so far are really well placed; the Count's VA is killer. (I think Corvy, you're watching the Sub right? Albert's English VA is Lelouch's from Geass, so if you're watching the dub of that, then you may have made the good choice, lol.)

Albert is so pliable and naive; its cool seeing him being tugged to and fro by his friend and count.

the skulls in her dress were a dead give away

This ED is baller.

Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% 08

All the idol hearts you can possibly handle.

Well ok, I guess this is our conflict. Not a bad one and I'm already looking forward for each pretty boy to win over our prince's heart and get him to stay. Probably by singing and shaking them hips.

Though, I'm still waiting for our Mamoru Miyano episode.

The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou 1

I'm really liking the design and showing of the Count. And the English VAs so far are really well placed; the Count's VA is killer. (I think Corvy, you're watching the Sub right? Albert's English VA is Lelouch's from Geass, so if you're watching the dub of that, then you may have made the good choice, lol.)

I would suggest listening to the Japanese VA track; whoever they got to play the Count in the English dub, I doubt he can match Jouji Nakata's charisma.

Mature

I would suggest listening to the Japanese VA track; whoever they got to play the Count in the English dub, I doubt he can match Jouji Nakata's charisma.
No kidding? I watched it completely on dub and I don't think I've heard any of the Japanese track. That would make for an interesting rewatch if it comes recommended. Though, like FelixOrion, I quite liked the dub. Especially the Count.

Majestic Prince Episode 8 – Battle of Ceres

I wish the Sentai Filmworks BD was here. This had to have looked great on tv in HD instead of via crunchyroll's tiny window for SD->480p. So many explosions, and high speed action with vibrant colors, closeups shots as weapons were being fired, and just tons of wasted yet really fast movement darting back and forth zipping and zagging and even spinning while firing lasers, dodging, and all that typical mech action. It was amazing and surely what other mech anime this season need to be doing and fast. The hilarious dialogue mixed in, while at first a bit distraction, was quickly welcome as it added a layer of some uniqueness to this whole anime and really kept the characters believable and fun.

It took me a while to notice his whole Red 1 was slashed and he was completely exposed to space. That was a too close for comfort move. I thought he'd panic not stay calm

Gargantia - 03
I'm confused by this episode ...

He did kill people , ok BUT the pirates were harming them first.
The whole "you're at fault" is nothing but a flawed argument.

"Why have you weapons then ?"

" Because they need to believe that we will fight if necessary "

"ok but they already know that you won't fight , so having weapons and not fighting is pointless"

Yeah that pirate girl was quite strong ( they would have lost if not for ledo ) BUT STILL .

I haven't seen such a flawed way of thinking .... They are so accustomed to surviving that they don't even think of retaliating when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom