• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

So I've started watching Another and I immediately noticed one thing.
TW10LcG.jpg
Looks like even the Sekkou Boys are investigating this show. Incognito of course, we wouldn't want their numerous fans immediately noticing them, but it looks like Mars didn't quite get the Memo.
That or Mars is touring with a bunch of imposters. Do I smell a hidden backstory here?

Haikyuu S1 - 8/10
Haikyuu S2 - also 8/10, although a slightly higher one.

Glad we're going to get a third season soon. I'm really the most impressed by the character writing, even if the portrayal of some of the drama felt melodramatic to me. While the time frame of these two episodes is still fairly small it's still recommendable that the likes of Yamaguchi and Tsukki had their own 'storyline' setup early on and developed it throughout before getting to their (partial) payoff. It's easy and thus common to just throw in highly character-centric episodes which give someone their 'huge moment' even though it isn't actually properly supported by the story so far and doesn't rectify a character's bad writing up to that point. In Haikyuu it appears to be a well planned and steady development of a rather large cast. Even quite a few of the opponents get some attention outside of the actual matches every now and then.

I agree that the character writing is admirable, and I like Haikyuu's balance between its various cast members, so that the focus doesn't rest exclusively on Hinata and Kageyama, or even Karasuno as a whole. If you haven't, be sure to watch the first OAD episode centered on Lev that came out, as it continues this tradition of good character writing within an amusing framework.

BluWacky

Regardless of whether any of this season's shows turn out well - even if they do, I probably won't ever get around to watching any of them - I'm happy because a second season of Asterisk War provides us with a new Rasmus Faber ED! It's not as good as Waiting For The Rain was last season, but it's still pretty decent if you like cheesy house music (like I appear to).

I can't think of many other Swedes who are "working in the industry". I haven't been keeping my eyes on credits for foreigners outside the usual Korean/Thai names cropping up for outsourcing (I note that Thomas Romain is still at Satelight, apparently doing art for some 12 episode sci-fi show I watched earlier today, the gimmick being that said show only has 30 second long episodes...). I did see Cindy Yamauchi was in charge of an episode of Yona of the Dawn I idly watched the other day - has she moved from Madhouse to Pierrot now?

Regardless of whether any of this season's shows turn out well - even if they do, I probably won't ever get around to watching any of them - I'm happy because a second season of Asterisk War provides us with a new Rasmus Faber ED! It's not as good as Waiting For The Rain was last season, but it's still pretty decent if you like cheesy house music (like I appear to).

I thought hes on both the OP and ED, I kind of prefer the OP a bit more, and waiting for the rain for the first half was just as good as Brand New World.

jgminto

The Lost Village 1
This wonderful Year of Okada continues! First we got a genuinely entertaining and fairly well written show from her with Gundam IBO and now it seems we're on the other end of the Okada Entertainment Spectrum. Let's see where this nonsensical ride takes us!

I can't think of many other Swedes who are "working in the industry". I haven't been keeping my eyes on credits for foreigners outside the usual Korean/Thai names cropping up for outsourcing (I note that Thomas Romain is still at Satelight, apparently doing art for some 12 episode sci-fi show I watched earlier today, the gimmick being that said show only has 30 second long episodes...). I did see Cindy Yamauchi was in charge of an episode of Yona of the Dawn I idly watched the other day - has she moved from Madhouse to Pierrot now?

Sakamoto should be pretty decent assuming they follow the source material and you haven't already read it.

If you have, I guess we'll have to see just how well the anime adapts it.

rrvv

Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova Cadenza

Well it was fun movie. The story kinda questionable at time but they really nail on with the character personality. The 3D animation is quite low quality (but higher compare to other anime) but the chirography and the action make up for it.

Ashigara is love. blupblupblupblup

Yes, Rasmus Faber is great, especially with Maaya Sakamoto. I love Waiting for the Rain.

Yes, she's working at Pierrot these days. She was a regular on Yona and character designer on Divine Gate.

Ascheroth

I thought his name was on the new OP as well (which I think I like even more then the first seasons), or was that for something else?
I preferred last seasons ending, but I like this one too.

Sölf

That ending sounds pretty neat.

Taruranto

Generic Anime Plot #1

vJSDPix.jpg

It's like a gay Escaflowne. Or YU-NO without all the rape, incest and tits. Well, not sure about the last one.

What happened to Brain Base? This is 24 episodes too.

Little round up of what I watched this afternoon

Space Patrol Luluco 1

Basically what I expected, surprised the main love interested didn't make his appearance yet, shorty and wacky seems like it'll be fun.

Ushio & Tora 27

Kind of an odd spot to start season 2, I dunno if this is going back to cover the important arc the first season skipped or just the arc that follows the hammer arc. The OP/ED tease some epic shit for the finale though and I've heard U&T's endgame rivals FMA;B's which is very excited.

Diamond is Unbreakable 1

Yep, this was pretty great

Line_HTX

Exactly one minute into the special episode about Kiznaiver and I already want to cut myself across.

Gah, can't resist Junichi Suwabe's narration voice.

BluWacky

I thought hes on both the OP and ED, I kind of prefer the OP a bit more, and waiting for the rain for the first half was just as good as Brand New World.

No, Rasmus Faber isn't involved in the OP for either cour, although he has obviously written all the rest of the music for the show (hence why he is credited in the opening). The OP for this new cour is fine, but it's chock full of that weird sound that I associate with para para - I don't know what that sound is called, but it's like... cheesy 80s synth noises? Like the keys in Europe's The Final Countdown playing the iconic theme. Lots of anisons feel like that these days.

Someone more knowledgeable than I about composition can probably comment better than I can, but he always modulates in interesting ways in the chorus (I have a terrible musical ear so can't really say exactly what it is he does, but he does it in EVERY single one of his anisons), I love his use of strings and "soft" electronic sounds, and he's got a real ear for melodies. It feels like all his songs would work with just a piano - in thinking about this I went back to listen to the Rasmeg duo version of Try Unite! from Lagrange, and the song works just as well without all the frippery around it.

Ascheroth

Exactly one minute into the special episode about Kiznaiver and I already want to cut myself across.

Gah, can't resist Junichi Suwabe's narration voice.

How Okada is it on the Okada spectrum and how Trigger is it on the Trigger spectrum?
I feel like there is going to be an interesting equation there : P

Generic Anime Plot #1

It's like a gay Escaflowne. Or YU-NO without all the rape, incest and tits. Well, not sure about the last one.

What happened to Brain Base? This is 24 episodes too.

This reminds of that anime from a few years ago about the two guys with the same name bodyswapping across dimensions. One of them was in the real world, one in a fantasy world. Anyone remember the name of it? DTL surely you know?

Ascheroth

This reminds of that anime from a few years ago about the two guys with the same name bodyswapping across dimensions. One of them was in the real world, one in a fantasy world. Anyone remember the name of it? DTL surely you know?

Arata Kangatari, me thinks. I think I've watched only 1 episode, though.

No, Rasmus Faber isn't involved in the OP for either cour, although he has obviously written all the rest of the music for the show (hence why he is credited in the opening). The OP for this new cour is fine, but it's chock full of that weird sound that I associate with para para - I don't know what that sound is called, but it's like... cheesy 80s synth noises? Like the keys in Europe's The Final Countdown playing the iconic theme. Lots of anisons feel like that these days.

Someone more knowledgeable than I about composition can probably comment better than I can, but he always modulates in interesting ways in the chorus (I have a terrible musical ear so can't really say exactly what it is he does, but he does it in EVERY single one of his anisons), I love his use of strings and "soft" electronic sounds, and he's got a real ear for melodies. It feels like all his songs would work with just a piano - in thinking about this I went back to listen to the Rasmeg duo version of Try Unite! from Lagrange, and the song works just as well without all the frippery around it.

Rasmus is himself a pianist, with a jazz background, so it's not surprising that his songs sound written with piano in mind. One of these days I'll get around to transcribing some of them.

I agree that the character writing is admirable, and I like Haikyuu's balance between its various cast members, so that the focus doesn't rest exclusively on Hinata and Kageyama, or even Karasuno as a whole. If you haven't, be sure to watch the first OAD episode centered on Lev that came out, as it continues this tradition of good character writing within an amusing framework.

I've yet to watch that. Sounds good.

Quasar

Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova Cadenza

Well it was fun movie. The story kinda questionable at time but they really nail on with the character personality. The 3D animation is quite low quality (but higher compare to other anime) but the chirography and the action make up for it.

Ashigara is love. blupblupblupblup

Finally new content. Tried the recap movie, thought it was worse that the show.

BluWacky

Assumedly a bad gay Escaflowne, otherwise...

The person-in-another-world storyline is a favourite of mine, because that was my particularly brand of wish fulfilment growing up - I'll always be a fantasy fan more than sci-fi as that kind of escapism was always my thing. Escaflowne and Twelve Kingdoms remain my absolute favourites, although Twelve Kingdoms really ceases to have anything to do with that displacement after the first arc. I've always wanted to like El Hazard, but it's full of all the same cheesy harem antics as everything AIC was putting out at the time and Tenchi Muyo was enough for me. In fact, as a trope these days it seems to mostly be a harem show thing; I hope to get something more interesting, but from the sounds of it Endrive is about as boring as Arata Kangatari was.

Line_HTX

How Okada is it on the Okada spectrum and how Trigger is it on the Trigger spectrum?
I feel like there is going to be an interesting equation there : P

I didn't know Okada was in this. As for the Trigger spectrum, probably have to wait for the actual Episode 1 next week, haha

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'll line up my 4 different allergy medications beside it next time so people don't automatically match it to masturbation.

Tissues aren't used in the age of onaholes anyway. ITS. TWENTY. SIX. TEEN.

Line_HTX

I believe she's writing the entire thing.

Yep, I see they mention the script is by her.

Oh man, Yuki Kaji is the lead. This is going to be all kinds of fun.

Edit: OK, the producer said it's completely different from Kill la Kill. Excellent, now I'm sold.

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV 1

That was nice. Sasuke, eat your damn vegetables. Some good action too.

Hyped for more + the game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom