• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this Village show grants us with some more lovely pie gifs. (Apologies for the quality on the second one).

XbjhKqp.gif

giphy.gif

Not a pie gif, but can't forget about this classic either.
suayh5eu3ckd32eohdutbm3xtfbavyam_hq.jpg

Sölf

I hope this Village show grants us with some more lovely pie gifs. (Apologies for the quality on the second one).

XbjhKqp.gif

giphy.gif

Not a pie gif, but can't forget about this classic either.
suayh5eu3ckd32eohdutbm3xtfbavyam_hq.jpg

Oh god, the last one. I never saw the show, should I watch it? I know it's bad. Do I want to see it? I am conflicted here!

doop_

Banned
The lost village seems like my type of anime, the character design reminds me of Persona 4 for some reason though.

Sölf;199956658 said:
Oh god, the last one. I never saw the show, should I watch it? I know it's bad. Do I want to see it? I am conflicted here!

Another was quite the experience, its pretty good and really took things in a nice unique direction that the novel attempted to but toned down. Another is very memorable.

Sölf

Well, I know the death scenes are completely over the top. Aside from that, has it any other redeeming qualities? xD

Sölf;199957414 said:
Well, I know the death scenes are completely over the top. Aside from that, has it any other redeeming qualities? xD

- Hilariously bad writing

- Hilarious death scenes

- Random ass motherfucking dance scene

- Grimdark at many points

It's like a dark comedy basically.

Sölf;199956658 said:

Another wasn't bad. Some people just had wrong expections.

Qurupeke

Mayoiga 1

Hell, I'm in. I have no idea what I'm supposed to expect, and this won't be a proper mystery show, but I guess I can enjoy the ride. I mean, you have 30 characters, a lot of them are going to die and if this is going to be a hilarious dark comedy as people say, I think I'm in. First episode was enjoyable, even though I don't remember most of the characters. The girl that was crying because of the hippo is cute, I hope she won't end up as a crazy person, because she totally seemed like one.

Lost Village 01

Ok I changed my mind. I'm not sure if I should have, but here we are.

Nothing makes any sense and every line is a death flag or some morbid bullshit. I'm almost awestruck about how nonsensical it is. I dunno why the bus driver is here if he isn't drinking the kool-aid. So this is the true power of Okada...

Mayoiga has so much meme potential, I'm really excited to see where it goes. I'd love to see it become a train buswreck.

The eerie vibe that you get just because deep down inside you know that everyone is going to die at some point works wonders I think.

Yeah, a competent director like Mizushima went with something like the beach episode because it was totally a serious horror series and not Moe Destination.

Directing =/= writing though. The writing had plot holes that aren't uncommon to well, shitty anime. So if it really was meant as a dark comedy then they did a fantastic job because they were able to fool plenty of people who are so used to shitty writing they thought it was just another.. well Another.

Endride Episode 1
tumblr_o50tg2aGCt1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o50tg2aGCt1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Pretty excellent episode, Shun and Emilio are easily a good duo right from the start and one of the images in the ED is so good they are so friendly and perfect together.

Im glad we have a true fantasy other world anime with us though as usual we have to have the sad departure whenever the story ends :( I hope Shun can help bring sunshine and happiness to Emilio's life, the pain he's had to face growing up in the home of the one who was his fathers enemy, poor guy.

Instro

I still have a few Another gifs on my PC.

9xMb.gif

AxMb.gif

Don't know that I can be bothered with Mayoiga though. I suppose it depends on how other shows turn out.

Sölf

Endride Episode 1
tumblr_o50tg2aGCt1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o50tg2aGCt1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Pretty excellent episode, Shun and Emilio are easily a good duo right from the start and one of the images in the ED is so good they are so friendly and perfect together.

Im glad we have a true fantasy other world anime with us though as usual we have to have the sad departure whenever the story ends :( I hope Shun can help bring sunshine and happiness to Emilio's life, the pain he's had to face growing up in the home of the one who was his fathers enemy, poor guy.

I will wait for some comments on this one. I don't need another one of those, but if it turns out to be actually good (like Overlord for example), I may also have to watch that.

Which would bring me to 14 anime this season. God damnit.

Cornbread78

Lost Village 01

Ok I changed my mind. I'm not sure if I should have, but here we are.

Nothing makes any sense and every line is a death flag or some morbid bullshit. I'm almost awestruck about how nonsensical it is. I dunno why the bus driver is here if he isn't drinking the kool-aid. So this is the true power of Okada...

Mayoiga has so much meme potential, I'm really excited to see where it goes. I'd love to see it become a train buswreck.

The eerie vibe that you get just because deep down inside you know that everyone is going to die at some point works wonders I think.

So much potential, lol. That exactly why I created the OT for the show, because if a "buswreck" does happen with the show, we can all be in misery together, lol. If nothing else, it should be good conversation of craziness each week!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace Attorney Episode 1:

Oh hey, they fixed that one puzzle that screwed over the continuity of the game for all time. Also, seems like a decent adaptation of the game series in spite of the A-1 blandness filter.

Wanderer5

Ace Attorney #1

It finally here, and blargh. Well, meh it was alright, but I feel like it lacking some energy and tension. The trial felt rushed and wasn't really that compelling, which might not be that big of a deal with this case in the end (even through they got rid of the best part), but I hope it improves from here on out. I think some craziness could be used more in these trials along with better some better music too, including using more of the game music hopefully.

I like how they are using the text boxes for intros through, and the force push thing going on with Objections is kind of amusing heh.

pbayne

The lost village set-up reminds me a bit of Bokurano...except it has double the cast and half the episodes to cram in as much as possible.

Aria 1

Pretty sedate, relaxing atmosphere. I guess the episode was more to establish the setting, which looks really nice, and the characters. So no idea if it's just a pure slice of life yet or whether there is more of a plot but im aboard for it.

Endride Episode 1

I guess the best word to describe Endride is okay.

Almost everything about it is just okay. The visuals, the characters, the setting, the music (actually there's not much music), the opening. Animation is not there though. It's mostly just a set up episode. Character gets sucked into fantasy world, meets other important character there, out of world character is confused.

Perhaps the only thing of note is how the villain fights with a giant bobby pin. (But it's not cool like it was in the first episode of Rolling Girls.) But hell, even he looks bored during the fight scene. Speaking of the fight scenes, all of them have this weird effect whenever a weapon hits another weapon. These CG sparkles fly out, and they really don't add anything to the fight scenes.

I can't see this developing into anything great. At the same time I can't call it bad yet, because there's not really anything there to judge.

BluWacky

I still don't really see Blood-C as a hilarious comedy in the way that it seems to be perceived in this thread. It's undoubtedly blackly comic in how over-the-top it gets, but that's as far as I'd take it - regardless of Mizushima's input, it felt like a CLAMP work (which of course it was), and I felt that much of what people seem to find hilarious made the "horror" elements work better for me.

Of course, removing any of Mizushima's touches left us with The Last Dark, which was frankly rubbish, so what do I know?

Exalted

Endride Episode 1

I feel kinda underwhelmed by the first episode. It wasn't bad, but it kinda lacked something to hook you, get you excited for more. It's an regular guy gets transported to an fantasy world anime, but it wasn't really similar to others series in this setting, it had a somewhat more serious tone. Will have to watch more to see if it goes anywhere.

Tuck

Lost Village - 1
I liked it. Got a few laughs, the premise is intriguing. Interesting cast of characters. I have no idea where this is gonna go - could easily be a train wreck. But at least for now, I'm in for the ride.

I look forward to seeing most of them die.

My only issue was that the bus driver randomly tries to kill them all, then afterwards they all act like it didn't happen. Hell, the tour guide even apologies to the guy for making a mess of the bus. Wat.

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 14
Well, didn't see that coming. 267 years, eh? And I am happy to finally get more answers to all these questions. It must have been hell to watch this when it was current. xD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like how Phoenix Wright has a sub track with the English names. I hope they don't drop it mid way though, it says its a "Test" in the Availability Notes.

Haikyuu S2 - 24

Q7bTa3b.gif

Good stuff. Guess I found my favorite (longer running) sports anime.

Chihayafuru is great, too, and I wanna say I feel like it got stronger direction, however, overall Haikyuu beats it with a much stronger second season.

Ascheroth

Endride - 01

Not sure how to describe how I feel about it. There wasn't any hook or gimick in this first episode as it was pretty much by the book 'boy gets transported to fantasy world and gets some power', but it was actually this lack of hook that made it kind of refreshing to watch? (if that makes any sense)
It really feels like an old shool fantasy anime (and also looks the part, I guess). I'm on board for now, but I can also see myself dropping it fast if I get bored.

TheChaos0

Sölf;199962632 said:
Shin Sekai Yori 14
Well, didn't see that coming. 267 years, eh? And I am happy to finally get more answers to all these questions. It must have been hell to watch this when it was current. xD

Just like anything else, hehe. It's least it's not a decades long shounen where hardly anything happens.

So I had some free time to catch on some of shows from a few seasons back. I've gone through School-live! and Rokka Braves.

School-live!

This was surprisingly good...

I like how each episode destroyed the fantasy world little by little. I knew things would turn out mostly OK but man the last few episodes were a bit nerve-racking.

Rokka

Not quite what I was expecting, in a good sense. It sort of went from save the world to who-done-it island mystery.

I've suspected the princess from the very first scene but only because I already knew there would be seven of that.

That extra Brave at the end was..eeeeehhh!? Surely that's not in the novel's. xD

The Rose of Versailles 40 END

Liberty, equality, fraternity, or death; the last much the easiest to bestow, O Guillotine.

Ending was a real kick in the balls but I expected that. I didn't expect for the last minute to be dedicated to "Remember this guy? Well, he died too."

Haikyuu S1 - 8/10
Haikyuu S2 - also 8/10, although a slightly higher one.

Glad we're going to get a third season soon. I'm really the most impressed by the character writing, even if the portrayal of some of the drama felt melodramatic to me. While the time frame of these two seasons is still fairly small it's still recommendable that the likes of Yamaguchi and Tsukki had their own 'storyline' setup early on and developed it throughout before getting to their (partial) payoff. It's easy and thus common to just throw in highly character-centric episodes which give someone their 'huge moment' even though it isn't actually properly supported by the story so far and doesn't rectify a character's bad writing up to that point. In Haikyuu it appears to be a well planned and steady development of a rather large cast. Even quite a few of the opponents get some attention outside of the actual matches every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom