• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Cross Game END

What a fantastic ending. Kou finally reached Koushien and found a girl that will replace his dead girlfriend. I'm quite happy that I picked up this especially since I'm having doubts if this show will turn out good or not. Thankfully it did and enjoyed the show. Too bad I was hoping that there will be an epilogue on how he did in Koushien and after that...

Those last few episodes of Cross Game were pretty intense from a baseball standpoint and heart melting at the same time with that confession scene (more of a reveal of true feelings from the past and present than anything). It was beautifully written because it carried the central theme throughout the show and everything they worked in from the beginning came back in a big way. The only part of the anime I didn't really care for was the look-alike, which ended up perfectly in the end for his bestie and was done really well in the end.

Glad you liked it.

javac

Wind rises was pretty good. Still below Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls and Kikis Delivery Service for me.

I surprisingly liked it more than all four of those, never expected to like it as much as I did going in but in all honesty you can't go wrong with any of them. A lot of people have genuine issues with Howl but even taking that out of the equation there's lots to enjoy. Hoping to watch Kaguya as soon as I get time, very very excited for that one.

Hey well I beat Danganronpa 1 and that was pretty good even though I knew the main twist so I'm gonna go ahead and do

DANGANRONPA THE ANIMATION 01???

WOW. And I thought Ace Attorney was taking the easy way out of just literally being the game but this makes that look creative (although it at least looks marginally better then AA and has better voice acting.) No chance of putting the defense attorney and the prosecutor on the wrong side when you just copy/paste.

GCwNmjN.jpg

Not a screenshot

Its hard to even joke about it because its so blatant. Everyone stands the same as their sprites even though it looks fucking terrible because this isn't a game and they don't look like they are from Doom in the anime, so what you get is a cluster of people standing around in random locations. During the intros they will even shift into their default sprite...then back to whatever sprite they were in before. Music is the same. Cutscenes are the same but redrawn. Sound effects are the same. Like damn this must have been the easiest project ever, 90% of the work was done for them. I dunno who this is supposed to be aimed at - people who played the game probably won't want to just see it on replay and people who didn't play the game should just...do that instead? I don't even know who would do something like thi-

YHOg740.png

Oh. Ohhhh.

Edit: I skipped around in later episodes for Sawashiro purposes and holy shit the trials are even worse copy/paste. I'm 90% certain the executions are just the actual in game cutscenes.

Bahamut remains the best videogame adaptation so far, because they were given some liberties with it.

I think people would tolerate the bland look of the Phoenix Wright anime more if they were doing something new with it.

Danganronpa and Ace Attorney are the worst of game adaptations. Completely pointless.

Bahamut remains the best videogame adaptation so far, because they were given some liberties with it.

Mobile game adaptations in general can be quite good, often because there is little to no story in the original game to use. Sengoku Collection, Show by Rock, Majin Bone: they all exhibit a high level of creativity.

As far as traditional game adaptations go, I.G.'s Sengoku Basara seems to be the best, though I haven't yet seen it myself.

Mobile game adaptations in general can be quite good, often because there is little to no story in the original game to use. Sengoku Collection, Show by Rock, Majin Bone: they all exhibit a high level of creativity.

Yep, those work because they're not so much adaptations as original works using the IP. Videogame adaptations that actually attempt to recreate the story of the game in anime form have an appalling record.

ibyea

Banned
Man, when even the pachinko cut scenes are better you know it is complete shit. I still can't believe how much better the pachinko Ace Attorney cut scenes are.

Kiznaiver 00: I'm really looking forward to this show. It was nice to see and get to know the cast. I hope the show is good so that Trigger can continue to do their thing.

Space Patrol Luluco 01: This show is cool and everything, but why doesn't Mako take off her wig and pretend this guy is her father? But seriously, I like the premise and feel so far and probably couldn't take a 24 minute show on Mako alone, so the 8 minutes of Luluco are cool.

Persona 4 animations are only worth watching for Swagtagonist antics. His no sell and King's Game bullshit had me in tears. Other than that, it's not worth watching.

Yep, those work because they're not so much adaptations as original works using the IP. Videogame adaptations that actually attempt to recreate the story of the game in anime form have an appalling record.

Even aside from their general writing quality, video game stories tend to have a pacing that expects stretches of gameplay in between story bits and work awkwardly when you take that out.

Man, when even the pachinko cut scenes are better you know it is complete shit. I still can't believe how much better the pachinko Ace Attorney cut scenes are.

There's been a lot of great animation made for pachinko machines!

Quasar

Persona 4 animations are only worth watching for Swagtagonist antics. His no sell and King's Game bullshit had me in tears. Other than that, it's not worth watching.

Though maybe it's because I've not played the game, I really enjoyed both of 'em. Would like to have tried the P3 movies except Netflix doesn't have the first one.

Wanderer5

Kiznaiver 00: I'm really looking forward to this show. It was nice to see and get to know the cast. I hope the show is good so that Trigger can continue to do their thing.

Yeah I hope Kiznaiver turns out well. Interesting premise, and I love the character designs (along with many from Trigger really). Still a week away, ugh.

Wanderer5

Kind of amaze that I made it so far into Yamishibai Season 3, cause wow.... probably has one of the worst ED ever too, even through it short lol.

I guess this season is a comedy theme or something, with all the wacky designs and crap, but I here just rolling my eyes alot.

TheFlow

Banned
just finished Haikyuu season 2, gundam ibo season 2, and one punch man.

Definitely going to start Erased

give me some more good recent manga. the less ecchi shit the better

duckroll

I still don't really see Blood-C as a hilarious comedy in the way that it seems to be perceived in this thread. It's undoubtedly blackly comic in how over-the-top it gets, but that's as far as I'd take it - regardless of Mizushima's input, it felt like a CLAMP work (which of course it was), and I felt that much of what people seem to find hilarious made the "horror" elements work better for me.

Of course, removing any of Mizushima's touches left us with The Last Dark, which was frankly rubbish, so what do I know?

It's not a hilarious comedy until the very end though. Most of it is very deliberate slowburn with touches of black humor. There is no question that the climax is meant to be tragic exaggeration turned into comedy. Mizushima da gawd.

ibyea

Banned
It's not a hilarious comedy until the very end though. Most of it is very deliberate slowburn with touches of black humor. There is no question that the climax is meant to be tragic exaggeration turned into comedy. Mizushima da gawd.

Lost Village, with the combined power of Mizushima and Okada, is going to be amazing.

Persona 4 the Animation is good enough for if you want to get the plot details without sitting on your ass through other things for a much longer period of time.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 25 (End)

That was pretty good. Man
chocolate man
is really an asshole isn't he? We have no idea why he's such a dick so hopefully the second season will explore why he's been angry for so long.

Solid show. I enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah, Mitsuru Adachi likes to end his baseball mangas when the team reach Koushien.
If you still want more baseball anime to watch, Touch is really nice.

I think I preferred H2 slightly more than Touch. At the very least, I'd have liked H2 to run longer, and Touch to be a little more condensed. Cross Game definitely the best of the bunch, though.

duckroll

http://shin-godzilla.jp/gvse/

As it turns out, Godzilla vs Evangelion wasn't an April Fool's gag. It is a real collaboration project for 2016, meant to promote both the upcoming Shin Godzilla film and the Evangelion franchise. For now there is no indication that it will anything more than a brand collaboration though. They are selling merchandising with the collaboration logos, and the key visual they put up on April 1st was drawn by Mahiro Maeda. There will be more guest illustrations of that sort to come, from various top creators in Japan.

While there's nothing to substantiate it, maybe there's a possibility that when Shin Godzilla opens in July, there will be a Godzilla vs Evangelion short attached to it?

As it turns out, Godzilla vs Evangelion wasn't an April Fool's gag. It is a real collaboration project for 2016, meant to promote both the upcoming Shin Godzilla film and the Evangelion franchise. For now there is no indication that it will anything more than a brand collaboration though. They are selling merchandising with the collaboration logos, and the key visual they put up on April 1st was drawn by Mahiro Maeda. There will be more guest illustrations of that sort to come, from various top creators in Japan.

While there's nothing to substantiate it, maybe there's a possibility that when Shin Godzilla opens in July, there will be a Godzilla vs Evangelion short attached to it?

Can I have this instead of 3.0 + 1.0?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Will EVA-01 do an Izuna Drop on Godzooky?

Cornbread78

Like I have time for a long ass jrpg. And an old one at that. I might give P5 a try though. I've never actually played a jrpg before.

Oh damn. I've loved jrpgs since playing Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on my NES. Before you delve into the depths of social links (character shipping) and timed events maybe give something like Tales of Zestiria or Star Ocean a whirl.

Quasar

Oh damn. I've loved jrpgs since playing Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on my NES. Before you delve into the depths of social links (character shipping) and timed events maybe give something like Tales of Zestiria or Star Ocean a whirl.

Part of it is that ps3 was my first console. Prior to that I was a pc only, so I grew up on western rpgs (even moreso on tabletop games).

I was tempted to order a shirt, such a cool collab.

WHAT.

I don't care if we get an OVA, animation for a pachinko machine, or whatever. Evas fighting the King of the monsters would be freaking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom