• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Luluco 4:

Better than Gravity.

EDIT: BEST MOM EVER

phaze

Mawaru Penguindrum [END]

I had some issues with certain plot elements,
like the fact that Ringo, the diary and Momoka/Penguin Himari barely played a role at the later part of the series, despite all of them being very important for the conclusion
, but that was an excellent series. Maybe more episodes, to flesh out everything more, or less episodes, to focus on the most central story lines, would be more suited to the show, but the result was acceptable. The strongest point of the show, the relationship between the Takakura family, was presented perfectly, and delivered one breathtaking finale.

Glad you came around on it. I should make time for a rewatch.

KnK 02

I dunno, the execution is certainly still there (though the stills stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest) but I've yet to care about what is happening on the screen. Not really fond of any character yet, mc has weird hair (very important) and most of the story beats for this episode were readily apparent. Still by all means decent, just leaves me a bit cold and unable to care.

Also, loli not Mikasa needs to drop the awful new costume and don back her yukata.

Luluco S02E01

Never underestimate the will of justice.

Or something.

Qurupeke

If it continues this way, just imagine how awesome seasons 3 and 4 will be!

if Luluco's mom becomes the protag Luluco will be a 10/10

jojo23_ze_R.jpg

duckroll

Kuromukuro - Episode 3

Fuck, this is the real deal. The writing is fun as hell, and the character animation is by far the best PA Works output since Uchoten. Love both the lively character antics/expressions, and the solid samurai action. I really dig where the show's going. Kennosuke reacts in really funny ways, the cast is likeable, and the backstory feels like the first Transformers movie except set Japan. Can't wait for Megatron to show up. :D

Cornbread78

Big Order ep. 2:
gaABHL3.png

I'm not even sure what to say about this one, I'm already starting to hate or love the plot direction that just took. Although, I love the way they handled the whole Rin relationship going forward. I laughed histarically when she grabbed his junk because you can tell that hate/hate relationship is binding but will be hilarious at the same time. Poor dude needs to watch what he wants to dominate.... Oh well, I'll give it a few more episodes, but this wasn't as crazy as I thought it was going to be... But the whole round circle ala Mirai Nikki, is like c'mon dude....

Oh, the dark humor with Rin's deaths was pretty funny.

duckroll

Space Patrol Luluco - Season 2 Episode 1

Better than Kill la Kill, giving Panty and Stocking a run for it's money, and getting dangerously close to Gurren Lagann. Grandmaster Imaishi has made another epic anime hit!!!!!

Ascheroth

Man, they're really not trying to differentiate Big Order and Mirai Nikki in any way. It even has a Yousei Teikoku opening. (It's pretty awesome tbh).

Big Order #2

Did he really just... basically order her to become his Yandere? This is amazing. But yet wrong on so many levels. But amazing. But so wrong.
Oh god I can't. She tried to indirectly kill him with ricocheting bullets but ended up giving herself a headshot, falling in a way her panties are in full view to him. There is some next level stuff going on here. But I was honestly surprised it was neither visible to the viewer nor did he even comment about it.
And then it ends with some council of ten blackmailing him into becoming their puppet king (although they let themself be bound by his Order?) by declaring war on the whole world in his name.

tl;dr: The soundtrack is damn good.

Exalted

Big Order episode 2

That was pretty weird , but not as crazy as i thought it would be. Was an ok episode but fells like it could have been even better, by having better direction.
The episode ends with the MC and the group declaring war to the entire world, and planing to conquer it, so should be interesting in the future.

Just T

Space Patrol Luluco Season 2: Ep 1

Lol what a start to the new season, her mother should be a fun character.

Concrete Revolutio: 16

I'm content with this episode, wasn't the most eventful but still had some interesting things about it.

Lautaro

I need to finish Another soon because all these gifs are spoiling me.

AssClass: 1hit

Ushio and Tora: 2hit

Jojo: 4hit SUPERCOMBO!

pbayne

So i guess i have a good idea of what im watching now.
Watching

Jojo-Its Jojo.
Flying Witch-Probably my stand-out that isn't Jojo.
Kanberi-Hits the sweet spot for OTT action.
Kiznaiver-Pretty wary of it atm. Itll probably be very bi-polar; great or fall on its face.
12-sai-Sweet romance. That's enough for me.
Luluco and DJ Tonkatsu and the ongoing greatness of Rainbow Days-All fun and all short.

Dropped
Hero academy-Looks alright but i have no interest in watching a 13 episode slice of a manga that will probably run for hundreds of chapters.
Bungou Stray Dogs-Pretty chunni set-up and the humor did nothing for outside the opening skit.
Ace Attorney-Ive already played the games so...whats the point?
Joker Game-Ambivalent towards what ive seen. I think it focuses on the wrong things. I want to see the consequences and dilemmas of espionage life, not the show trying to show me how badass and cool the spies are.
Sakamoto-A bit of fun but it looks like something that works better in manga form.
Kuromukuro-After the sleep-inducing first ten minutes its actually a very pretty show at times and the samurai guy was cool. Ill keep an eye on it.
Super Lovers-I like the characters but just not together.
Anne Happy-Hit and miss comedy, it had some great visual gags though. Not a bad show by any means but just couldn't be bothered with it atm.
Ushio and Tora-Ill watch it eventually but the start of this season really pissed off with its pacing.

And everything else i probably didn't even make it 5 minutes into them. Big Order and Lost Village seemed like stupid, crazy rides though.

Qurupeke

I dropped Netoge, DJ Tonkatsu and Joker Game. Ace Attorney and Sakamoto will probably follow.

I'll certainly keep watching Mayoiga, Jojo, ConRevo, MHA, Kabaneri Flying Witch, Kuma Miko, Kiznaiver and Luluco, and more or less I enjoy all of them so far.

phaze

Big Order 02

We have to go dumber - the episode. What a bizarre turn of events.

Outside of the hilarious death scenes compilation, this was rather dull. Not sure if I'll continue. I'm glad that at least mc is an idiot and didn't use his Stand to fully brainwash Rin. Last episode that seemed to go into territory I was pretty uncomfortable with.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Indeed, I think I have finished my usual early season purge to land on what I am watching this season.

Kanbari of The Iron Fortress
Ushio and Tora Season 2
Jojo Bizarre Adventure Season 4
Sapce Patrol Luluco
Ace Attorney
Kiznaiver
My Hero Academia
Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3

At least one show a day for most of the week with Tuesday and Wednesday off is the mark of a good seasonal watch.

Kuromukuro 3

What duckroll said. The dialogue in particular stands out as pretty smooth to me; the cast are likeable and amusing in the details. The most slept on show this season, probably?

Stray Dogs 3

Tonal whiplash isn't a problem in and of itself but married to the shock tactics employed in this episode it came off poorly. There's some cool stuff in here and some voice talent I'm very ready to hear again (Miyano, Omigawa) but this feels like one of those shows I keep extending by "one more episode" only to remain unconvinced by the end so it's getting dropped.

pbayne

My favourite pairing :)

Smh. Id rather they lonely and miserable than together.

Texhnolyze 4-6

I don't think ive ever seen an MC suffer so much in such a short amount of time(except maybe Guts). Ichise, its hard to get a handle on him so far. He's a pretty reactionary guy, like he just does what he has to do in the moment to satisfy his immediate needs. His only real trait so far is his immediate reaction to any situation is extreme violence and his determination to live. I think that extends to most of the characters, there no great plan or morality behind what they do, they simply "do things" in the heat of the moment.

Im surprised that with the name and all, the show not really sci-fi. Its more a mob/revenge story so far. Also the amount of detail in the backgrounds and the setting is insane at times. A lot of work went into depicting this shitty, dilapidated world.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think was great about it since, while I can appreciate so-bad-it's-good shows, I'm definitely not going to label them as being legit good. People dying in convoluted ways due to
a magical curse that works in the most convoluted and obtuse way itself
wasn't entertaining, and people constantly behaving in dumb ways for the sake of the plot was equally boring.

Seriously, the mystery being explained as
a curse that revived someone into a specific class in a specific school each year, warped the whole town's memories to make them think the person was still alive, and then began randomly killing people each month until the dead person was killed again
was the most stupid premise I've ever heard.

I thought it was great too. It absolutely had problems (Mei being vague when her words could have saved lives, people treating the event without the proper weight though that may be a Japanese culture thing) but I thought it was legit tense with good atmosphere and effective death scenes. At least in terms of how it was framed, I thought the ending was damn effective and thought about the implications of it and lead up a while after finishing it.

I'll still enjoy the silly gifs though.

zulux21

Re:Zero:1-3

Can animations studios stop making these game world centered anime jesus, pretty sure there's better material out there (Damn you SAO)..

There is likely better material waiting to be adapted, but there is a crap ton of worse material being adapted as well.

I get hating on the current in thing, but the show is an entertaining watch even if it is boy goes to fantasy world. If you don't like that type of setting it's simple, just don't watch them.

I mean I avoid the massive amount of 4 girls in a club room shows that we get every year because I can't stand that setting anymore :p

Kuromukuro 3

What duckroll said. The dialogue in particular stands out as pretty smooth to me; the cast are likeable and amusing in the details. The most slept on show this season, probably?

Netflix kills general interest in any show they pick up, since their "binge" model is very out of step with anime fans who are used to following right along with Japan.

Kuromukuro 3

Eh. I'm still waiting for Kuromukoro to explain what it's about. It doesn't really have a strong direction so far. I can agree that the dialogue is on point though.

Quasar

Netflix kills general interest in any show they pick up, since their "binge" model is very out of step with anime fans who are used to following right along with Japan.

It kills my interest in any new/current show. I think I need my shows to be episodic where I can have discussions between episodes and not feel forced to binge watch just to avoid spoilers/take part in the discussions.

I do find it curious though that Netflix is streaming some j-dramas weekly and decided to hold anime back. And that netflix is happy to show anime weekly in japan but nowhere else. Dies each region have its own policies? Is it simply a matter of netflix wanting dubs day one? Wonder what that means for anime netflix actually produces. Will it be made with that on mind so issues of rushing for a weekly show wont be there?

Line_HTX

Space PatrOL LULUco 04

Season 2 Ep 1, lol

I can never get tired of that GUN MORPHING JUDGEMENT.

Bomb has been planted.

Space MILF ASSS with that Imaishit giant smirk on her face.

JulianImp

I thought it was great too. It absolutely had problems (Mei being vague when her words could have saved lives, people treating the event without the proper weight though that may be a Japanese culture thing) but I thought it was legit tense with good atmosphere and effective death scenes. At least in terms of how it was framed, I thought the ending was damn effective and thought about the implications of it and lead up a while after finishing it.

I'll still enjoy the silly gifs though.

I guess I was just too caught up in realizing it wasn't about blurring the line between reality and the supernatural/fantasy to enjoy the rest. On top of that I never liked Final Destination-style premises where people die one by one in overly complicated and horrible ways, so what I ended up getting was something that just didn't appeal to me on any level (other than the desire to see where things ended up for the sake of giving the story some closure).

Clov

So, RightStuf's new e-mail revealed what their best-selling anime has been so far this year!

Some of these aren't really surprising (Eva, Death Note). Others are a little more; I'm definitely surprised that Zeta Gundam is doing so well! Judging by the upcoming ZZ BDs, it seems as though Sunrise and RightStuf's releases of the series have been successful enough to get other big entries on BD.

Another surprise for me is Higurashi, since it did very poorly for both Geneon and Funimation when it originally released (in both volumes and the complete series edition). Not sure what happened there.

Ladies Versus Butlers' performance must explain why Media Blasters is still hanging around, and why they're releasing more titles on BD lately.

Thoraxes

So, RightStuf's new e-mail revealed what their best-selling anime has been so far this year!

Some of these aren't really surprising (Eva, Death Note). Others are a little more; I'm definitely surprised that Zeta Gundam is doing so well! Judging by the upcoming ZZ BDs, it seems as though Sunrise and RightStuf's releases of the series have been successful enough to get other big entries on BD.

Another surprise for me is Higurashi, since it did very poorly for both Geneon and Funimation when it originally released (in both volumes and the complete series edition). Not sure what happened there.

Ladies Versus Butlers' performance must explain why Media Blasters is still hanging around, and why they're releasing more titles on BD lately.
LvB is great too because not only is it the uncensored XEBEC goodness release, but it's quite cheap too.

Though, it is missing the OVAs.

Also it's good for Gundam too, and I hope the trend continues.

One Piece 1-22(dub)

I did not expect the english opening but it's soooooo cheesy it's great! Wonder how far I'll get before stopping since the only reason I'm watching it is for Luffy but maybe some other characters will catch my eye.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece 1-22(dub)

I did not expect the english opening but it's soooooo cheesy it's great! Wonder how far I'll get before stopping since the only reason I'm watching it is for Luffy but maybe some other characters will catch my eye.

...which dub are you watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom