• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix promises FF7 Remake Part 3 won’t "betray fans of the original"

Minsc

Gold Member
Persona 5 Series Surpasses 9 Million Copies Sold Worldwide, Represents Over 50% of Total Persona Sales. At the end of November 2022, it was reported that the Persona 5 series had achieved 8.3 million units sold—both physical and digital—worldwide.

They want the good old JRPG that they once loved FF for.

It didn't occur to me at the time - but Persona 5 is on:
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
Nintendo Switch
PlayStation 5
Windows
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S

While Rebirth is on:
PlayStation 5

That is definitely SOME of the issue IMO. Remake also had a stupidly long exclusivity period - and AFAIK no third party is thriving on solely PS5.

If they want to grow FF again, they can't keep it caged up time after time on the PS5 IMO.

Last edited:

Mayar

It didn't occur to me at the time - but Persona 5 is on:
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
Nintendo Switch
PlayStation 5
Windows
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S
At the end of November 2022, it was reported that the Persona 5 series had achieved 8.3 million units sold—both physical and digital—worldwide.
Now yes, it is on everything, at the time of release it was only on PS4 and it was a PS4 exclusive and I specifically posted data for November 2022.

Mayar

And I think when Metaphor: ReFantazio from Atlus comes out on 10/11 this year, it will also easily surpass all of Square Enix's games in sales. At the same time, Atlus spends significantly less money on game production and their budgets are lower.

It seems to me that they just need to sit down at the table, stop with remakes and incomprehensible games "oriented towards Western players", and just make a normal, full-fledged, separate part of FF, unfortunately, it seems to me that this will not happen, because they are afraid that no one needs it, now companies really do not like to take risks. Therefore, most likely, they will continue to make chewing gum games aimed at a "large audience".

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Now yes, it is on everything, at the time of release it was only on PS4 and it was a PS4 exclusive and I specifically posted data for November 2022.

Fair enough - I guess! PS4 exclusives did perform much better than PS5 ones seem to - that much is evident given Remake's 7M+ vs Rebirth's 2M+

Compared to Remake, Persona 5 is more or less in the same ballpark (especially when you consider P5 released in 2016 so that's 6 years of data).

And Wiki does say P5R released on al the other platforms in Oct 2022, but I suppose Nov 2022 sales figures wouldn't include that? Either way argument about PS4 third party franchise exclusives performing better than PS5 holds.

And I think when Metaphor: ReFantazio from Atlus comes out on 10/11 this year, it will also easily surpass all of Square Enix's games in sales. At the same time, Atlus spends significantly less money on game production and their budgets are lower.

This one will be interesting - I have little to no interest in this game so far myself, but I do have moderate interest in the Persona games. Something about the footage I've seen so far hasn't really grabbed my attention to the point I'm looking forward / sold on it yet.

Mayar

In addition, Atlus doesn't like to publish the budgets of their games, I would gladly look at their numbers. But "200 million amount being thrown around and numbers as high as 300 million. It was an average of the speculated numbers being thrown around." - This is FF rebirth rumored Budget

If you just look at it in context - money spent and copies sold.
PS5 ones seem to - that much is evident given Remake's 7M+ vs Rebirth's 2M+
With such expenses, such sales are terrible.

Last edited:

Mayar

I'm already 42 , I collect games and I have all the parts of FF on the shelf, they caress my eyes and heart. And as a fan of the series from the very beginning. I have moments of nostalgia when I replay old parts, usually 7-9-10.
And I have parts that I will definitely never touch again - the entire trilogy 13. And I can say with confidence that I will definitely never play either Remake or Rebirth again, I will much more gladly replay part 7 again =)

Although it is simply possible that I am already too old for all this =)
P.S. - I will not say anything about Final Fantasy XVI in principle, I have crossed the existence of this game out of my head, it did not exist, I imagined it and it did not come out =)

Brigandier

Yeah I was gonna say, lol. They're gonna need to do a lot of pivoting back to make it not betray the OG at this point.

They turned WEAPONS into fucking fish monsters .. not to mention the Rebirth end-game.

Come On Wow GIF by BrownSugarApp

I hope the real weapons the ones that awaken are still waiting for us fingers 🤞

Top Bottom