• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix promises FF7 Remake Part 3 won’t "betray fans of the original"

Minsc

Gold Member
The funny thing is, they actually believe their own bullshit.

Almost 100% of headlines like this is just PR talk and BS from sources looking for clicks IMO, but they did hit it out of the park with Rebirth:

Enjoy.

Both these guys are huge FF7 OG fans, and probably know the games inside out better than anyone here - hell they pick up on little and big references from the original dozens of times I've missed myself. The love they put in to making the game and enjoyment it brings others is pretty clear, even if you hate it yourself. And if the improvements from Remake to Rebirth are anything to go by, Part 3 is going to succeed in pleasing fans, and the inevitable trilogy remake of the remake should also be amazing.

The pressure to deliver on this game is massive considering the ending of Rebirth.

The way this trilogy of games will be seen and talked about in the future is riding on this one.

I would argue the future of the entire Final Fantasy franchise will be riding on it. If they fuck this up too bad, there won’t be anything left of the old fanbase. I am pretty confident they will deliver on the original ending in at least one timeline and restrict the nonsense to the others.

The Saint

If Visions of Mana can give us a controllable "airship" They have no excuse in this game to let us manually fly the Highwind around the world instead of menus.

Dynasty8

Almost 100% of headlines like this is just PR talk and BS from sources looking for clicks IMO, but they did hit it out of the park with Rebirth:

Enjoy.

Both these guys are huge FF7 OG fans, and probably know the games inside out better than anyone here - hell they pick up on little and big references from the original dozens of times I've missed myself. The love they put in to making the game and enjoyment it brings others is pretty clear, even if you hate it yourself. And if the improvements from Remake to Rebirth are anything to go by, Part 3 is going to succeed in pleasing fans, and the inevitable trilogy remake of the remake should also be amazing.

Overall I enjoyed Rebirth. It was ambitious, nostalgic and well made overall. Probably my GotY... But the story, especially the way they handled the end again (just like Remake), left a very, very bitter taste.

All they had to do was stick to the script, make the game gritty like the original. Instead they chose Kingdom Hearts cringe with multiverse BS with a more anime "cutesy" style. Not a fan of that story direction at all.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Overall I enjoyed Rebirth. It was ambitious, nostalgic and well made overall. Probably my GotY... But the story, especially the way they handled the end again (just like Remake), left a very, very bitter taste.

All they had to do was stick to the script, make the game gritty like the original. Instead they chose Kingdom Hearts cringe with multiverse BS with a more anime "cutesy" style. Not a fan of that story direction at all.

I think if they chose to release it as a single game we would have gotten what you wanted, but I'm happy with the getting expanded story, and I prefer the more zany and colorful/crazy FFs over the gritty "mature" ones like FFXVI.

World of FF was probably one of the ones I'd rank highest, along with FFX. I'd love to see another updated WoFF game. Also the turn based combat helps a lot. So VI and IV or III and II SNES get points for that too. But a villain like Kefka is no less dramatic and crazy than gilgamesh wackiness IMO.

I get it's not for everyone, but do believe what they accomplished in terms of exploration and combat is pretty special.

Getting the water chocobo - that essentially can fly and turn into an airship was pretty awesome, and just how unrelenting the Hard mode VR fights are (that recommend max level) is also pretty great. Really makes it feel rewarding for going all out and getting all the OP materia and abilities.

I also think Part 3's performance will have little to do with the success/failure of the franchise - as each game is so divisive anyway. Fans of FF8 and fans of FF6 and fans of FF12 or FF10 or FF7 and all the others tend to not be the same group of people. Whatever happens with Part 3 - it won't be a Concord situation where the brand is tarnished beyond salvaging for future entries.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is a small snippet from a bigger interview which can be read here at the original source.

I need the final game asap, but I fear they're switching to UE5 and so it will be 2028 instead of 2027. :(

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I didn’t know ff7 remake would be multiple parts, cloud felt like a real hero in part 1, barret is dangerous with that gun.

Minsc

Gold Member
What convincing and thought out arguments all the haters put up, almost like they're just butthurt over the story changes and nothing else.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean .. yeah ?

The topic is about them promising not to betray fans of the original. Fans of the original who don't like the changes are the one's who will come in, right?
I enjoyed original FFVII a lot but at same time I played that game to death, I didn't want to play EXACT game.

I personally liked the changes, if you played Remake you should expect the direction they are going for Rebirth.

Pejo

Fuck at this point, why hold back? Let's have Sabin come in and suplex the lifestream and the time ghosts can whisk him back to FF6 (after he plays a few games with Kid G and enjoys a Cup Noodles.)

I don't view this trilogy as canon anyways, it's just Kitase's fanfic and they've already ruined any meaningful changes to the story, so I say go crazy.

Hope for the next "big" anniversary of FF7 they give us a straight up remake with gameplay/story intact and just upgraded visuals, maybe an orchestral soundtrack. This was not what I wanted back when the remake was revealed in the E3 of Dreams™.

ZehDon

Part 1 is like an alpha compared to Rebirth. This is quite possibly one of the most complex and most punishing games SE has released in a long, long time. From exploration to hard mode difficulty, I can't think of anything SEs released in recent times that can compete to Rebirth. The 1% of people who earned the platinum had to put in blood, sweat and tears. Or use a guide for so many hard mode fights. It pretty refreshing to see the vast ways the game forces you to adapt in hard mode, and even some fights on the dynamic difficulty.

Pretty much expect 150-200 hours for clearing through hard mode + platinum.
They made a sequel and pretended it was a remake. Then they fucked it. So, sorry, but I really don't give a shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
They made a sequel and pretended it was a remake. Then they fucked it. So, sorry, but I really don't give a shit.

None of this really has to do with the actual gameplay which rocks. Game is fun as hell to play. Combat is great, provides incredible challenge on hard, Queen's blood is great, you have tons of options to mix and match between party members, rewards for exploration are great. It gets right everything that is wrong with FFXVI imo.

And I don't even think that's correct. You falsely assumed you were getting a remake, they made a different game, and provided tons more backstory, then they mostly explain it all in Rebirth - and you see it converging into the timeline we know. The 2nd half of Rebirth is legit one of the most enjoyable gameplay loops I've seen in a while in a SE game. It goes so much further than I ever expected - it makes the hard mode on Remake look like a training mode. And the map is legitimately great to explore and rewarding, unlike XVI. Also Chocobo Racing is surprisingly great too, it had no business being that good, as a pretty great Mario Kart player, there's actually stuff in Chocobo Racing in this game I think that is done better than Mario Kart in MK8. Granted it did come off of them releasing Chocobo GP not too long ago, so it's not surprising they'd have a handle on making it well made.

Last edited:

ZehDon

None of this really has to do with the actual gameplay which rocks...
Yeah, the story of a story-driven RPG is kind of an important part, and doesn't get handwaved away.
... And I don't even think that's correct. You falsely assumed you were getting a remake...
Ah yes, how silly of me "assuming" that when Square Enix announced that they were remaking Final Fantasy VII with a game called "Final Fantasy VII Remake", that they were remaking Final Fantasy VII, instead of making a sequel - the reveal of which was deliberately positioned as a climatic twist-reveal at the end of the game called "Final Fantasy VII Remake" (which alone demonstrates their intention to hide the fact they made a sequel instead of a remake). What a blunder I have made...

Trelane

Didn’t they introduce the multiverse in the last game? Does the story even matter that much anymore?

At first I was interested in a faithful 1:1 adaptation. I was disappointed that it changed up the story, but then I was pretty hyped about an alternate take on the classic story given the setup at the end of Remake. Then they backpedaled on that in Rebirth while at the same time injecting multiple timelines and universes and I just gave up. At least I can always play the superior PS1 original.

I really enjoy the direction they have taken these games,

I haven't been as invested in a game as I was with Rebirth for quite a while.

But I can understand why longtime fans who thought they were getting a proper remake
Would feel betrayed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hardcores fans are not playing the game, look a the sales… are shit compared to the original.

Are they? I'm not sure what numbers you're using, but ballpark google shows FF7 OG series at 15 million, and FF7 Remake series at 9 million, and FF7 Remake series will be adding to its total for quite some time between the PC release, Part 3 and the collection of all three games. The HD port of FF7 OG on the PS4 looks to have around 3.3M while Remake had 5M on the PS4.

I guess the hardcore fans are not playing the original either are they? If it got less sales than Remake did.

Anyway, it's not like Concord. They aren't going to retcon the game. Rebirth got great reviews too. It fared better than Remake iirc, both in the 90s.

But like complaints about the story I don't put much stock in those. Reviews, complaints of the story - it's all subjective. What's not is the gameplay and systems/mechanics. The things I have a problem with in FFXVI are not an issue in Rebirth. I've yet to see any one put forth a serious argument that doesn't amount to "I don't like the story" or "I don't like the optional mini games."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wish after part 3, they release a complete version close to the original without all the last chapters non sense of Remake and Rebirth

Isn't that basically what Ever Crisis is ?

I hope I got the name right, it's one of those games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've heard nothing but great things about rebirth! I was sold after remake to be honest and I was a big fan of the og game. I like the changes.

Same ol G

You don't need a huge following online to have a valid opinion. Are you actually retarded? Grow up dude.
You should read his other comments in the topic.
Because he likes the gameplay nothing anyone says matter, to us old fans who felt betrayed with the story that's not important because gameplay is good.
Once in a while you come across a complete moron on GAF, i guess this is one of those weekends.

Mayar

After what they did to the game in the first two parts, I am no longer sure that in the third it will be possible to do anything to somehow compensate for everything that they piled up in the two previous ones.
The funniest thing is that this whole situation just appeared out of thin air. All they had to do was just a remake with updated graphics, like what Capcom did with Resident Evil 2-3-4. That's basically it.
As a result, they chopped the game into incomprehensible pieces, crumpling the entire narrative, stuffing it with unnecessary things.

Minsc

Gold Member
You don't need a huge following online to have a valid opinion. Are you actually retarded? Grow up dude.

You don't of course, but you honestly expect "game is garbage" and that's that opinion to hold more weight over someone who has put out 50+ hours of discussion on the game and all the little details in it?

I simply prefer opinions that have more weight to them than a mere blanket statement or "I hate thing". Those opinion gets responses equal to their effort, worthless ones.

Those opinions will never matter as much to me as someone who actually have viewed the game for all it is, and fairly, rather than a gut visceral reaction to the story alone.

At least when I gave my opinion of FFXVI it wasn't "game is garbage" - I took the time to list out all the gameplay elements I didn't like, I took the time to make comparisons to other games, I took the time to create a dozen or two reasons why I had the opinion I did.

You're saying the game lives or dies by the story and the story was garbage? And that's it? That's an opinion that holds no weight to me.
Get over with this shit already and make a proper new entry FFS.

FFXVI just came out - is that not exactly what you wanted? Going by the time since FFXV was released, you have until around 2030 or later for FFXVII.

Last edited:

robor

What is this, my ex-girlfriend with borderline personality disorder promising not to throw a plate at my head again?

Who is going to trust them at PART 3???

What a shitshow of a company.

Top Bottom