• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

red731

lol, is it just me or I want to be in uber tricky as much as possible because of the music? (set on loop)

dat quake

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hot damn I LOVE THIS GAME. Been waiting for SSX for so long all in all I'm really happy with the results. Sure there are some big differences but none of that stuff makes it any less fun.

Right now I'm consistently ranking in right about the middle of my friends list but the constant push at trying to move up the leaderboard is very addictive and is making me much more competitive than I usually am. I've topped out my trick run at about 11m but someone on my list has something like 23m which is completely insane to me. One day I'll catch them.

preordered this today...

First I was all: "I'm gonna wait until price drop since I'll be playing ME3 anyway..."

*plays demo*

*preorders game*

SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So the preorder bonus is just that one snowboarder?

This is what was posted when I asked several pages back.

GameStop – receive legendary SSX character Eddie Wachowski, and his Ultimate Snowboard with an attribute Perk.

Origin – receive Elise’s Ultimate Snowboard with an attribute Perk.

Amazon – receive Mac’s Ultimate snowboard with an attribute Perk.

Best Buy – receive Zoe’s Ultimate snowboard with an attribute Perk.

Wal-Mart – receive Kaori’s Ultimate snowboard with an attribute Perk.

Seems like gamestop is the best one.

Fixed1979

So the preorder bonus is just that one snowboarder?

The pre-order bonuses are dependent on where you pre-order from. For example Amazon has a Mac snowboard and attribute boost.

Which leads me to my next question, I'm a Mac only player for tricks and only do racing to boost stats (I might try to get into it a bit more this time round). Amazon.ca doesn't have release day shipping but wondering if we can count on his board an attribute perk to be DLC, or if I should wait on extra days for an Amazon delivery...also fuck shop dependent pre-order bonuses.

Edit: Fuck it, I checked it out and with expedited shipping it has an expected delivery of Mar 6 2012 - Mar 7 2012 @ more than $70.00. This is why I don't buy games day 1 at Amazon and why shop dependent pre-order bonuses are a terrible idea.

The pre-order boards are lvl 6 boards that you can use at lvl 1. Once you max out at lvl 10 there will be much better boards to use. That's why I went with GameStop. You get a whole extra character!

soultron

Banned
The pre-order boards are lvl 6 boards that you can use at lvl 1. Once you max out at lvl 10 there will be much better boards to use. That's why I went with GameStop. You get a whole extra character!

You get Eddie later on, IIRC. Which means you don't have to pre-order from GS.

soultron

Banned
I'm trying to find where I read that, but I can't imagine an entire character (especially one key to franchise history) being retailer-exclusive to the point where you'd never get him otherwise.

I'm trying to find where I read that, but I can't imagine an entire character (especially one key to franchise history) being retailer-exclusive to the point where you'd never get him otherwise.

I know in the Ubercast Todd kinda skipped the question about Eddie being available later.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can't seam to get over 9M, Silver on bulldog... Seam to mess up around the dam, keeping the tricky going right before it is a bit tough..

I learned that wiping at the top of the dam means sliding down on your belly the whole way down, 20-30 seconds. Kills a run.

Its a very fun game, but I echo people's reaction that its burnout on snow. Its super fast.

I could not go over 9 million on tricks then I realized I was holding buttons like the old setup, so not doing any grabs or anything. lol.
I need to switch to classic controls and closer camera.

krpiper

2 questions.

1. How do you activate the wingsuit? Holding RB doesnt work for me like it says to in the demo

2. Is there just like a "free run" mode, just to board and check out the scenes and stuff?

Nopren

DJ Atomika announcer DLC is totally a thing that I would pay five dollars for. Just putting that out there.

Amen, brotha!

It still amazes me, that he never got boring in SSX3. And I have played through that game more times than I care to remember.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What lines are you guys running for Bulldog in the demo? I normally go right at the start, stay right for a bit, then keep toward the center. After the dam, I keep to the right until the huge drop after which I transfer over the to left which is where I generally stay until the end. My high score is about 24.1m. Really struggling to improve it. Should I have more than about 2.5-3m at the top of the dam?

Also, what seems to be the best application for signature tricks? Save them for long drops or throw them out more often?

Well damn, here I was feeling accomplished for hitting 16.8 mil last night. Back to the slopes I go.

lol, is it just me or I want to be in uber tricky as much as possible because of the music? (set on loop)

dat quake

Just the opposite. I went into the menu and turned off that Tricky music. Makes my ears bleed. Can't stand dub.

Hey Soultron, has EA ever answered the question on whether or not Fuji is coming to the 360 version in the US? They dance around it as much as possible.

AEREC

Man...I really want to like this game as videos make it look incredibly fun but the demo really didnt do anything for me...graphics weren't that great, the feel of carving through snow wasnt there, and it seems the game is really forgiving on the landings.

I guess Ill wait for reviews and user reviews on how the rest of the full retail game is. I wish MS or 2K would make another Amped with a more realistic tone, or even if EA basically made SKATE with snowboards.

Man...I really want to like this game as videos make it look incredibly fun but the demo really didnt do anything for me...graphics weren't that great, the feel of carving through snow wasnt there, and it seems the game is really forgiving on the landings.

I guess Ill wait for reviews and user reviews on how the rest of the full retail game is. I wish MS or 2K would make another Amped with a more realistic tone.

Blech I have no desire to ever play another realistic boarding game, but there's no reason they had to cut out the feeling of actually carving snow in SSX. That's my biggest disappointment with the demo. It no longer feels like SSX.

What's the verdict? Xbox or PS3 ?
Does one perform any better than the other?
Thanks.

360 is a bit sharper, but both run exactly the same for me. Go with the one whose controller you prefer.

soultron

Banned
DJ Atomika announcer DLC is totally a thing that I would pay five dollars for. Just putting that out there.

DJ Atomika is in World Tour mode. He doesn't narrate the entire thing, but he's in there!

2 questions.

1. How do you activate the wingsuit? Holding RB doesnt work for me like it says to in the demo

2. Is there just like a "free run" mode, just to board and check out the scenes and stuff?

1. The wingsuit is not available in the demo runs. You have it in the tutorial, but you don't get it in the Race or Trick events for the demo. You'll have access to it in the full game, however.

2. There is no actual free run mode, but nothing's stopping you from letting the ghosts and AI advance ahead and then ride on your own. I did it today in the demo and discovered some neat hidden areas on Bulldog! You can turn down the music using the options menu too, if that's your thing!

I hope you're right...all this pre order crap is fubar.
Do you know if you also will get the additional drop points of Mt. Fuji that has been mentioned in the limited edition of game.co.uk?

game.co.uk ssx-limited-edition

I'm pretty sure that's just a semantical snafu. In that there are additonal drop points because you're getting Mount Fuji.

Example:
Non-Mt. Fuji version has 153 drops.
If Mt. Fuji has, say, 8 drops, then a version with Mt. Fuji has 8 "additional" drops for a total of 161 drops.

I hope I'm right too. I pre-ordered from a place that doesn't give Eddie as their pre-order bonus.

soultron

Banned
Just the opposite. I went into the menu and turned off that Tricky music. Makes my ears bleed. Can't stand dub.

Hey Soultron, has EA ever answered the question on whether or not Fuji is coming to the 360 version in the US? They dance around it as much as possible.

There was a recent podcast, the SSX Ubercast (independent, non-EA), in which Todd Batty and an EA PR representative were on; Todd was asked about Mt. Fuji and you could tell he wanted to answer, but he was cut off by PR. I'm hoping we get it because although I might be playing it on PS3, the majority of my time will be on 360 because of my controller preference.

I guess Ill wait for reviews and user reviews on how the rest of the full retail game is. I wish MS or 2K would make another Amped with a more realistic tone, or even if EA basically made SKATE with snowboards.

I'd love a realistic sim snowboarding game too. Skate is one of my favourite games of this gen, and if someone wanted to do that with realistic physics (or rip SSX's phyics engine directly) I'd be in love. I was thinking about grabbing Stoked: Big Air Edition, but gameplay videos of it make it seem very stiff and outdated in terms of physics.

Was so hyped for so long, not thrilled about the reactions I've been reading, and I've been too busy this week to try the demo. Renting the PS3 version to try it out.

soultron

Banned
Has the full soundtrack list been released yet? One of the best parts of SSX has always been the soundtrack.

The OT has the full soundtrack listing and YouTube links. There is an OST available for purchase, but it's only the 12 original compositions made specially for SSX. Those details are in the OT too, under the "Soundtrack" section.

Finally got to spend some time with the demo, and hot damn.
A flood of old SSX Tricky and 3 memories came rushing back.
They really did a great job reeling in the mechanics and feel.

I even love the Uber-Tricky dubstep drops.

02:14.83 on the race - this game is so addictive.

Any tips for getting down even lower? I've just been tricking big on large jumps for boost, and occasionally when flat to get a bit of an advantage.

soultron

Banned
Yeah it's way too much work for me, I'd rather just spend the money frankly

Haha. It's completely free. Do you have a cellphone with a camera on it?

It amazes me that you'd rather spend $60 (depending on where you're buying) than spend a few minutes uploading a video to YouTube and then PMing it to me.

If I put this on MerquryCity I bet everyone there would find all of the snowflakes in less than a day. :p

pxleyes

Banned
The OT has the full soundtrack listing and YouTube links. There is an OST available for purchase, but it's only the 12 original compositions made specially for SSX. Those details are in the OT too, under the "Soundtrack" section.

Dont know how I missed that in the first post. Thanks

Top Bottom