• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

AEREC

Was so hyped for so long, not thrilled about the reactions I've been reading, and I've been too busy this week to try the demo. Renting the PS3 version to try it out.

Most of the reactions seem to be postive...also why not just try the demo instead of renting it when you have time.

iFootball

Hot damn I LOVE THIS GAME. Been waiting for SSX for so long all in all I'm really happy with the results. Sure there are some big differences but none of that stuff makes it any less fun.

Right now I'm consistently ranking in right about the middle of my friends list but the constant push at trying to move up the leaderboard is very addictive and is making me much more competitive than I usually am. I've topped out my trick run at about 11m but someone on my list has something like 23m which is completely insane to me. One day I'll catch them.

I think that's exactly what I believe will make this a successful game.... by itself, and despite many people's complaint about controls or the non-old_school-SSX feeling to it, this demo has proven to be very effective at showing the game's potential... when you think about it, some people are spending HOURS playing this demo trying to improve their times/scores or just having a fun time down the slope... and it only has two drops... TWO...

Expand that to 150 drops...BOOM... mind blown...

Yes, I'm also loving this game :)

jkoch

Awesome OT soultron, thanks!

I added my name to the PSN list (jkoch, same as here), and also invited a few of you last night while I was playing the demo.

Most of the reactions seem to be postive...also why not just try the demo instead of renting it when you have time.

Don't mind me. I'm tentative about spending money on anything for the next few weeks, thanks to the latest update bricking my 360.

I dig the entire album, Foster the People - "Torches".

Helena Beat is also really good.

This is definitely my favourite track from the SSX soundtrack. It's weird because I usually hate "indie rock."

I find games have expanded my taste in music, as well as augmented my tolerance for stuff I usually can't stand. Little Big Planet alone exposed me to old stuff I loved and new stuff I'd have avoided otherwise. Same goes for the previous SSX games.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else feel that it is too easy to get on a rail? Like not rewarding enough because you always hit the rail even if your aim is slightly off.

What type of genre of music is the SSX soundtrack classified under? They are way better than any shit on the radio how comes I never hear these songs? Whatever it is its very good.

I think that's exactly what I believe will make this a successful game.... by itself, and despite many people's complaint about controls or the non-old_school-SSX feeling to it, this demo has proven to be very effective at showing the game's potential... when you think about it, some people are spending HOURS playing this demo trying to improve their times/scores or just having a fun time down the slope... and it only has two drops... TWO...

Expand that to 150 drops...BOOM... mind blown...

Yes, I'm also loving this game :)

But that means everyone is spending all their time on these two drops, constantly shaving away their times, finding the perfect run, and creating new high scores. With 150 different drops, the competition on each one isn't going to be as brutal and fun as it is right now. It'll be spread too thin.

I mean, that's just another way of looking at it. :)

What type of genre of music is the SSX soundtrack classified under? They are way better than any shit on the radio how comes I never hear these songs? Whatever it is its very good.

It's quite diverse, ranges from indie rock to dubstep. As far as I know the soundtracks to all the games have been freaking amazing. Especially Johnny Morgan's work on SSX Tricky.

Anyone else feel that it is too easy to get on a rail? Like not rewarding enough because you always hit the rail even if your aim is slightly off.

I think there are some assists on with landing and grinding... Did I remember reading that as you progress, it turns them off?? Someone prove me wrong?? Please....

Hale-XF11

Out of curiosity, are there any tracks in this game where you're not ramping and railing every 3 seconds? I would loooooooooove at least a few mountain runs where it's mostly Zen-like and you're just enjoying a nice ride instead of bouncing all over the place. I just don't recall seeing any videos like that ever for this game.

Managed to get my Bulldog run up to 21M. I have gotten so close to a full run combo but I always fuck up at one point. The second half of the run is brutal. So much shit everywhere.

I didn't like the demo. Why is it so automatic? I flipped and spun so fast and I wasn't even holding a direction. Came down and landed without even needing to correct myself and grinds take zero effort. Pass.

soultron

Banned
Managed to get my JT2 time down to 1:54, IIRC. I did such an evil genius laugh when I got it. Hahaha.

Almost in the top 5... bakalhau is just too damned good. I always lose my TRICKY at the worst points!

Dany

Banned
SSX soundtracks have always been great. I would say better than Burnout considering they got 'girlfriend' in Paradise.

iFootball

But that means everyone is spending all their time on these two drops, constantly shaving away their times, finding the perfect run, and creating new high scores. With 150 different drops, the competition on each one isn't going to be as brutal and fun as it is right now. It'll be spread too thin.

I see your point but, if you consider that RiderNet will not only match against your contact list but also people across the globe, there will always be an incentive... :)

... also, many in GAF are adding their names to the PS3 & XBL lists!...

Are you using standard or classic?

Standard, buttons. It's mostly a matter of making sure more of your tricks are flips than spins, and that you keep the combo going.

I've got my JT2 run down to 2.09 and I can probably shave it down more but I'm not really competitive in that regard.

soultron

Banned

The community at MerquryCity.com has already decided that they'll be doing community events where they focus in on a few drops a week.

Haha. It's completely free. Do you have a cellphone with a camera on it?

It amazes me that you'd rather spend $60 (depending on where you're buying) than spend a few minutes uploading a video to YouTube and then PMing it to me.

If I put this on MerquryCity I bet everyone there would find all of the snowflakes in less than a day. :p
My time is more valuable than money, and it'd be a waste of time since someone would beat me. It's cool you're giving a way a copy don't get me wrong, it's just not worth the time and effort to me to bother.

This game is going to need a community thread to keep track of all our global events. This will be the first time I basically EVER go into a community thread.

As for community events... Soultron did you take a look at my thread on MC? Everyone wants in, but I have no one to help me on PS3. I'm going forward with the gamertag and weekly events, but it's a bit unfair only 360 players get it. I'm selecting some fun drops and doing a variety of runs to suit all player tastes, so I think those will be fun. I just stole the idea from every NeoGAF community thread here. Namely Forza's :D

http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9775

If you guys want to take a look, I'm doing community events every week on the 360. If you're a fan of the game, and want to help me do the same thing, but on PS3, I'd really appreciate it. No one there seems to want to help, so if any of you want to, just register there and drop me a PM, or just simply reply here.

These are for MC only members for a variety of reasons. I was hoping we could do the exact same thing (gamertag and events) here on NeoGAF. I was sort of hoping soultron would like to pick up the idea and run them, but I'm not sure if he will, and I can't force him to do it. I'd love to play these with you guys too, and have a gamertag to check if GAF members are online.

soultron

Banned
As for community events... Soultron did you take a look at my thread on MC? Everyone wants in, but I have no one to help me on PS3. I'm going forward with the gamertag and weekly events, but it's a bit unfair only 360 players get it. I'm selecting some fun drops and doing a variety of runs to suit all player tastes, so I think those will be fun. I just stole the idea from every NeoGAF community thread here. Namely Forza's :D

http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/vie...hp?f=18&t=9775

If you guys want to take a look, I'm doing community events every week on the 360. If you're a fan of the game, and want to help me do the same thing, but on PS3, I'd really appreciate it. No one there seems to want to help, so if any of you want to, just register there and drop me a PM, or just simply reply here.

These are for MC only members for a variety of reasons. I was hoping we could do the exact same thing (gamertag and events) here on NeoGAF. I was sort of hoping soultron would like to pick up the idea and run them, but I'm not sure if he will, and I can't force him to do it. I'd love to play these with you guys too, and have a gamertag to check if GAF members are online.

I've not had the time to check it out yet, no. Also, your link is broken!

Fixed1979

Once I get a chance I'll review exactly what's involved (gaming sites are blocked at work), depending on that and if no one else steps up I'll do the PS3.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you were looking for help with the PS3 version here @ Neogaf. I won't be able to properly support it if I can't log in from work.

Soultron if you decide to do anything with this here and want help or someone to take care of the PS3 side let me know.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
saw the demo was up, checked thread, buzz was terrible.

checked today... its amazing?
People realized that while you can play 'automatically' and get to the bottom, you really have to step it up to compete with ghosts online. My 23 million and 1.57.86 scores weren't simple grabs, nor even the the best on the list. They're also above and beyond what you need for Gold, so the 'offline' game may be a little lax.

Fixed1979

People realized that while you can play 'automatically' and get to the bottom, you really have to step it up to compete with ghosts online. My 23 million and 1.57.86 scores weren't simple grabs, nor even the the best on the list. They're also above and beyond what you need for Gold, so the 'offline' game may be a little lax.

They're probably early drops and the requirements aren't that high for gold...that being said getting gold in previous SSX trick and race events was never difficult.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They're probably early drops and the requirements aren't that high for gold...that being said getting gold in previous SSX trick and race events was never difficult.

I hope they keep it easy in offline. A lot of the unlocks are tied to these golds right, so getting people used to the game and unlocking a bajilion things will be great before we venture online to conquer people's times/scores.

Regarding the Mt Fuji DLC coming to 360. Do we have any evidence of past EA PS3 exclusive DLC being mentioned on the box for a game, and then later coming to 360?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Demo sold me. I'll be buying as soon as I have a chance to get to the store.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Starting to get the controls down on the PS3, I stink using the 360 controller.

Gonna get it for the PS3... Mt Fuji is a nice bonus.

I need to play the demo more, because I think I'm close to pre-ordering this. I played a some Tricky years ago, but my best memories are of 1080. Jeez, it's been so long ago!

Top Bottom