• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Dragnet

Regarding the Mt Fuji DLC coming to 360. Do we have any evidence of past EA PS3 exclusive DLC being mentioned on the box for a game, and then later coming to 360?

When it was asked if 360 owners would ever see Fuji on the SSX Ubercast with Todd Batty, I'm pretty sure he hinted at it happening, then got told off by someone in the room with him and started saying 'no comment' and laughing. Can't remember his exact words but it sounds like it's something you'll definitely get in the future.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Regarding the Mt Fuji DLC coming to 360. Do we have any evidence of past EA PS3 exclusive DLC being mentioned on the box for a game, and then later coming to 360?

I believe not. Even if it does come, I imagine it will be months down the road, if not as part of a goty edition and/or for extra money. So its a better value up front on PS3.

I need to play the demo more, because I think I'm close to pre-ordering this. I played a some Tricky years ago, but my best memories are of 1080. Jeez, it's been so long ago!

Ha, I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't played an SSX game since SSX 3, but I loved Tricky and had a ton of fun in the SSX demo. Just preordered it last night.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Mt Fuji would be nice but, in my opinion, the Xbox controller is superior for this game so I'll get it for the Xbox.

So you got gold on both drops?
Why would I care to with gameplay I dislike? If I felt I was in full control, I'd bother trying. But as is feels like I'm simply guiding a cursor down a mountain with automatic flips and spins and miraculous lands.

And no, the super spins didn't hook me in and make me say "awesome, dude" and keep going as was probably the intention. It more distracted me and I kept fighting it to see if I can take back control.

JaseMath

No matter how hard I try, I cannot wrap my head around the new controls. I always end up going back to classic. Other than being easier to grind, I'm not sure there's really any other reason to go standard if you're comfortable with classic. Unless I'm missing something...

Dragnet

No matter how hard I try, I cannot wrap my head around the new controls. I always end up going back to classic. Other than being easier to grind, I'm not sure there's really any other reason to go standard if you're comfortable with classic. Unless I'm missing something...

What specifically do you prefer about classic?

JaseMath

What specifically do you prefer about classic?

Nothing. It's overly complicated. I'm just too used to it. ;_;

I spent an hour trying to figure it out and kind of got it, but because I couldn't spin with the D -pad, it felt too loose. Kept getting square and R2 confused, too. I want to compete, so I may have to learn.

Dragnet

Nothing. It's overly complicated. I'm just too used to it. ;_;

I spent an hour trying to figure it out and kind of got it, but because I couldn't spin with the D -pad, it felt too loose. If I want to compete, I may have to learn.

Fair enough. It had been so long since I'd properly played an SSX I adapted quite quickly. Muscle memory made me use the D-pad initially too. I actually find going back to classic harder now, the new controls feel smoother and quicker to me. I don't use the right stick though, I struggle with that.

Can't play the demo yet and still excited about having a new SSX that looks fun and really fast, but I'm still really concerned about many design decisions. Characters for examples : I'm a huge fan of the series and when I look at OP, there's only two characters I can recognize from the go : Eddie of course (and love his new design) Zoe from her face painting and Kaori because she's asian but she doesn't look anything like her. Psymon looks like Nate. Same for Mac... etc...

Also OP, her name is Alex, not Alexis. Alex in short for Alexandra in french, when Alexis is a separate and only male name (even if it has gone female for some reason in USA)

Finally, from all the vid I saw, is it possible to miss a landing when doing a trick ? The game doesn't already got rid of balance on rails (that wasn't even hard to begin with) but how assisted trick reception is compared to other entries in the serie ?

Dragnet

Can't play the demo yet and still excited about having a new SSX that looks fun and really fast, but I'm still really concerned about many design decisions. Characters for examples : I'm a huge fan of the series and when I look at OP, there's only two characters I can recognize from the go : Eddie of course (and love his new design) Zoe from her face painting and Kaori because she's asian but she doesn't look anything like her. Psymon looks like Nate. Same for Mac... etc...

Finally, from all the vid I saw, is it possible to miss a landing when doing a trick ? The game doesn't already got rid of balance on rails (that wasn't even hard to begin with) but how assisted trick reception is compared to other entries in the serie ?

Really? The characters have definitely lost some definition but they're still all pretty unique. Nate's not even in the game and everyone looks pretty individual, I could probably tell them apart TF2 silhouette style infact, going by their menu pics at least.

You can still bail, it's just harder now. As long as you time letting go of the trick right you'll pretty much always land it. The punishment for not landing right is more about the direction and speed you land now, rather than simply just landing the trick. Land facing the wrong direction and you can really fuck up your flow. That's how I see it anyway..

Really? The characters have definitely lost some definition but they're still all pretty unique. Nate's not even in the game and everyone looks pretty individual, I could probably tell them apart TF2 silhouette style infact, going by their menu pics at least.

You can still bail, it's just harder now. As long as you time letting go of the trick right you'll pretty much always land it. The punishment for not landing right is more about the direction and speed you land now, rather than simply just landing the trick. Land facing the wrong direction and you can really fuck up your flow. That's how I see it anyway..

Well, my problem is that I think SSX had very cartoony and distinctive characters. It worked because the game was, a no point, trying to be the slightest realistic. Riding mountains, doing 2160 rotations with a girl in a jetpack, tiny short, hawaiian shirt or whatever : you could. Now the game looks more " serious " in his chara design and all riders wears snow suits so it makes the shapes less distinctive. Or maybe I'll get used to it...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Also OP, her name is Alex, not Alexis. Alex in short for Alexandra in french, when Alexis is a separate and only male name (even if it has gone female for some reason in USA)

I thought so too but it is actually Alexis.

xl2y4.jpg

Curufinwe

Elise's wing suit makes her look like she's sponsored by Neogaf

Well she has always been the best character, so that makes sense.

Not being able to easily boost while grinding or doing a manual are the two things that put me off classic controls.

I don't want to have to contort my fingers to press X/[] and Y//\ at the same time for boost grinds or press X/[] and the right stick for boost manuals.

soultron

Banned
I thought so too but it is actually Alexis.

http://i.imgur.com/xl2y4.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

He's actually right. At the community event someone there was French and corrected them on the masculine/feminine nature of the name. It's just stuck in my head, is all. :P

littleornothin

Neo Member
Played the turorial, did one race. Was about to start over again when all sounds just vanished. Hmm.. still did the race. When I hit the finish line, it crashed... :\

Preordered anyway :p

PS3 btw.

red731

Played the turorial, did one race. Was about to start over again when all sounds just vanished. Hmm.. still did the race. When I hit the finish line, it crashed... :\

Preordered anyway :p

PS3 btw.

I didnt have any problems, well just once - on the first loading screen when you need to press X to continue.
It didnt react to button press so home button and quit game, then the system restarted.

omg. just got 32,165,792 on Bulldog in the the PS3 demo.

From the demos, iIs there a consensus on which version fares better? Not sure if it's my imagination but the PS3 version looks slightly lower-res, though the menus run smoother.

soultron

Banned
omg. just got 32,165,792 on Bulldog in the the PS3 demo.

From the demos, iIs there a consensus on which version fares better? Not sure if it's my imagination but the PS3 version looks slightly lower-res, though the menus run smoother.

Dawg, you's a champion!

I wish I was a huge trick person but I'm totally a race fiend. :p

tm24

the game just clicked. Went from 5mil to 14mil on bulldog. I'm not sure what happened. But it was amazing. I like to think it was all that Two Door Cinema Club.

Add me PS3-GAF!: mightytm24

EDIT: Holy crap at that score!!!

Daante

Swedens biggest gamemag "LEVEL" gave the game a 7/10 in their review.
(havent read it so cant translate or link what they liked/disliked)

red731

EDIT: Holy crap at that score!!!

edit: I saw that you read it - I am nowhere NOWHERE near that :D hehe

The game clicked with me too finaly. When I begun to play I was mashing buttons, but now I press one and hold the other, tweak them, use nose tail slides and dont forget yall...

FLARES ARE THERE TO CONTINUE COMBOS!

whitehawk

Banned
Just tried the demo finally on my PS3. Holy hell this game is amazing. I'm glad I'm getting it on the 360 though because I'm constantly holding R2, and I hate that my finger keeps slipping off.

Anyway, I found my first run I was doing terrible. Partially because I was constantly holding down which made it difficult to steer so I was confused. I fixed that, and the 4-5 runs later I was having so much more fun.

I have one question though. I'm supposed to hold R1 to activate the flight mode right? Well I tried, and nothing happened...

red731

I have one question though. I'm supposed to hold R1 to activate the flight mode right? Well I tried, and nothing happened...

That was just tutorial. Did you see that you have wingsuit equiped at the character screen? Not available in demo tracks/modes.

Game-breaking Discovery: Quick-tap Rewind = Time Dilation?

Now, the super high scores seem like they are exploited ..... or valid. But this raises some questions about them.

soultron

Banned
RiderNet will be FUBAR on release. I hope they developed this game with a "Wipe all scores" switch.

I'll test this tomorrow since my advance copy is supposed to be arriving before noon and see if it's in there. In any case, I'm sure it'll be fixed in a Day 1 patch. (You know those ones where you get the game, pop it in, and then it tells you to update? No word if it will affect people who decide to skip that prompt/are not connected to the internet, however.)

Good thing is that this won't affect Global Events once it's fixed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder if a ghost of someone using that glitch make them look like they're going normal speed, and the score would just be higher.

Top Bottom