• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Has Roberts actually talked about how big is team is? Because I dunno, there's like a handful guys in that room, so I wonder...are they going to contract everything out or how is it gonna work because this seems like a skeleton crew at best

He has made mention before that it will follow a geographically distributed development model. There will be people all over the world working on this thing

SparkTR

Has Roberts actually talked about how big is team is? Because I dunno, there's like a handful guys in that room, so I wonder...are they going to contract everything out or how is it gonna work because this seems like a skeleton crew at best

He mentioned getting a workplace that was enough for 30 people earlier.

Zabojnik

He said earlier that he hopes to keep the core team at about 50 people throughout the development process, however they'll probably peek at about 150 during higher load periods. Don't worry, he's not making it alone. :)

Jesus they will ruin everything with their shitty website...

Apparently there's a nasty bug buried deep in the code somewhere. Site crawls to a stop, then takes about 15 secs to reset and works great for some time. It's less than ideal, but it's not hurting them too much. If at all, judging from the numbers. :D

Perkel

Banned
Apparently there's a nasty bug buried deep in the code somewhere. Site crawls to a stop, then takes about 15 secs to reset and works great for some time. It's less than ideal, but it's not hurting them too much. If at all, judging from the numbers. :D

I think it is hurting them a lot. For the first most important 3 days site was dead.

If they would end it on normal date it would be only 2mln or 2,5 mln.

Zaptruder

Banned
I think it is hurting them a lot. For the first most important 3 days site was dead.

If they would end it on normal date it would be only 2mln or 2,5 mln.

Yeah, it's funny, they did 'cheat' a little... but honestly, I don't think anyone that pledges cares.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah, it's funny, they did 'cheat' a little... but honestly, I don't think anyone that pledges cares.

I don't consider this cheat at all.
I don't know why projects on kickstarter are mostly 30 days. There is option of 60 days.

Sure it is harder to keep people occupied for 60 days but amount of cash can be easily upped thanks to that projects can be more robust.

Star citizent is example. It's actually like 40 or 44 day rather than 30.

Babalu.

welp...to the guy who said that you'll be throwing in more money by the time this thing ends, you were right. I pledged $30 like 20 days ago but I just couldn't resist the temptation any longer. upgraded to the freelancer for $130.

Zaptruder

Banned
I don't consider this cheat at all.
I don't know why projects on kickstarter are mostly 30 days. There is option of 60 days.

Sure it is harder to keep people occupied for 60 days but amount of cash can be easily upped thanks to that projects can be more robust.

Star citizent is example. It's actually like 40 or 44 day rather than 30.

It's a 'cheat' in the sense that the timer started when the RSI site launched... it was 30 days long...

But then when they started Kickstarter, the RSI timer grew to accommodate the Kickstarter reset.

So... if there wasn't an unusual circumstance in the funding - I don't think it'd be as kosher to extend the count down clock... which you can do indefinetly with an external site!

Zaptruder

Banned
Even though they borked their launch record, they've definetly sealed up the biggest closing campaign.

How much did they pick up in the last 2-3 days? 2.5 million? It's been utterly insane.

FACE

Banned
Even though they borked their launch record, they've definetly sealed up the biggest closing campaign.

How much did they pick up in the last 2-3 days? 2.5 million? It's been utterly insane.

I think it was 2 million on 3 days.

Edit: Over a million on the last day or so iirc.

zam

11k left!

If I didn't get paid until Friday I would pledge more than the $40 I already have.

It's possible to upgrade your pledge or buy more ships after the countdown is done, right?

kadotsu

Banned
I won't pledge because I think this is a high risk project (especially the MP ambitions) and I don't want to spend money on games right now but I'll be buying this at launch.

Babalu.

I won't pledge because I think this is a high risk project (especially the MP ambitions) and I don't want to spend money on games right now but I'll be buying this at launch.

this was my thoughts as well but in the end I said Fuck it and spent $130

zam

Chris Roberts already has private investors lined up, and he made a deal with them that if he could raise $2 million from crowdfunding then they would invest in the project. Don't know how much money the private investors would be investing, but $20 mill has been mentioned in this thread.

FACE

Banned
1348002085422f1xewp4ks7.gif

Babalu.

seemed so impossible at the start. Shiiiiit it seemed impossible a few days ago. amazing. so happy.

this can only mean good things for the industry

Top Bottom