• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

GrizzNKev

Banned
is there a stretch goal for 6 mln?

Yup:

Project Update #47 said:
When we set out to crowd-fund Star Citizen we asked for two million dollars, the absolute minimum with which we thought we could build a solid game. And then we planned stretch goals so that we could include everything else we imagined. We expected three million, hoped for four million, dreamed of five million and so on. And the absolute top option, the impossible dream, was six million.

Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million you'll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines.

It's not as sexy as unlocking the carrier, for sure, but would certainly be pretty amazing if we met every one of our goals. So let's push this campaign all the way to the last minute. We can make this march!

Wubby

You can update your pledge at any time for the first 12 months. inside your account on the website it will say your pledges , pledge customization. So you can upgrade your pledges or add on ... add ons lol.

Knowing this I just put down $40 to get my foot in before the door closes. I'll upgrade to the Hornet package next year.

Acosta

I was thinking in doing a moderate backing, I have already three 100+ backed projects from 22 in total, and is weird for someone like me that doesn't preorder and is not very into collector's editions to put that kind of money.

But you know what?

66S7K.jpg

Fuck that.

Zaptruder

Banned
I was thinking in doing a moderate backing, I have already three 100+ backed projects from 22 in total, and is weird for someone like me that doesn't preorder and is not very into collector's editions to put that kind of money.

But you know that?

66S7K.jpg

Fuck that.

Nice. Good work.

But you know what?

66S7K.jpg

Fuck that.

This post made my heart flutter.
I bow to you

todahawk

I'm confused, Chris's site shows almost $6 mil pledged and almost $2 mil from Kickstarter. Is he taking funds through his site too?
edit: his site is up and down (at least for me).

Hari Seldon

So I pledged $40. I have been kind of on blackout. What higher tier is worth it? They are all just differentiated based on the ship type you get but I'm not sure which ship is worth getting.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cool details gleaned from chat-cast...

Their aim is to create very fine grained damage and targeting for all ships.

I imagine this means that every part that is modelled will also have corresponding visually damaged part(s) with equivalent game effect.

Like with the Bengal Carrier - they won't be doing the old the cap ship has 400 hit points thing, just hit it from anyway and it'll blow up eventually.

They want it more like WC2 where you'll need special cap ship bombers to take down a cap ship (I guess they're equipped with bombs that are geared towards destorying capital ships; slow, high explosive, wide area of effect).

But if you have a bunch of fighters, you can still hack at parts of the ship - turrets, engines, shield generators, landing bay doors, etc. Eventually, if you concentrate enough fire, you'll start gouging holes into the ship - I imagine you'll start to compromise parts of the ship as they become de-oxygenated.

On a smaller scale, this is true for small ships as well - except they'll probably have an overall hull that can be damaged and blown apart, ending the ship. Larger ships like the constellation might have additional hull parts (left engine, right engine, central body, cockpit) that are blown apart independently... but the central part could be the critical hull point that would destroy the ship once compromised.

The idea is to let you disable strategic parts and then board the enemy ship, but it should be difficult and rare enough that when it happens it's a cool boon.

Otherwise, I guess the ability to specifically target your shots preferentially may allow for better salvage from ships that you destroy.

Zaptruder

Banned
So I pledged $40. I have been kind of on blackout. What higher tier is worth it? They are all just differentiated based on the ship type you get but I'm not sure which ship is worth getting.

Depends what kind of role you want to play.

@ 60, you get the Origin 300i... which is a second tier ship (one step above the starter Aurora ship), faster, more guns, more improvement points. Basically a better ship all around.

@ 125, you choose between the Hornet and the Freelancer...

Hornet gives you an advanced fighter frame... if the Aurora is the Y-Wing, the Origin 300i the A-Wing, the Hornet is the X-Wing; prototypical space superiority fighter.

While the Freelancer is a frame more geared towards trading, it'll likely have the fighting capacity of an aurora (more firepower, but less mobility), but with much more cargo space, room for a co-pilot and more upgrade space.

@ 100 as an add on, you get the Drake Cutlass, which is a ship that specializes in piracy - i.e. disabling and boarding other ships.

@ 250, you get the Constellation, which is the equivalent of flying a Millenium Falcon around... but better, because you get a drone/mini fighter to help you out.

It's a larger ship with more weapons than everything else (below it in price point), but naturally slower and less agile as a result. But it's made up for with the inclusion of the snub nose fighter, and a great deal of add-ons which can improve performance in various ways (if you want to gear it up for fighter performance, it'll be extremely potent in combat, or if you want to gear it up as a trading ship, it'll do well in that role too).

Beyond that, there are things like Heavy Bombers (I imagine the thing that's used to take out Cap ships), and cruisers (small/Medium scale capital ship).

epmode

None of the higher tiers are worth the money.

Regardless, I have spent far too much on this.

Grumbul

Well thanks to this thread and the Robert Space Industries site I've just put up for the $40.00 pledge. Wierd thing is because I had to pay in Euro's (I'm actually in the UK) this ended up equating to over $51.00 according to my account info.

Anyone able to confirm payment should have gone to Twin Bros GMBH? The entire affair was a mish-mash of time outs and broken links.

FACE

Banned
I've just noticed that there is a surprising lack of recent news about this from the websites I usually visit(RPS and Eurogamer), one would think shattering the crowdfunding record would be kind of a big deal.

Majukun

Kickstarter is the best thing to happen to the industry since Steam.

well,let's see the results first...until now we got FTL (one hell of a game),and one project canceled if i remember correctly..most of the founded projects are still in development

I've just noticed that there is a surprising lack of recent news about this from the websites I usually visit(RPS and Eurogamer), one would think shattering the crowdfunding record would be kind of a big deal.

probably they are checking only the kickstarter page,and not tha main site that has the big part of the donations

Zaptruder

Banned
So I'm having money issues and haven't been able to pledge to this. Is there any way to after the campaign finished?

Yes. They're keeping things open after the kickstarter drive ends - but we won't be unlocking anymore goals with more crowd funding (not least because after 6 million there are no more goals planned).

epmode

well,let's see the results first...until now we got FTL (one hell of a game),and one project canceled if i remember correctly..most of the founded projects are still in
Chivalry, FTL and Gianna are all finished and excellent, and a bunch of other recent games are in beta. The funding method is fine.

I also think Kickstarter is the best thing to happen to videogames in years. Even if we have an occasional total failure.

jett

D-Member
Wow this is going to make it to 6 million, that's insane. Hell, a couple million more and they would match Witcher 2's entire budget. :lol PC gamers really do come out in droves if you cater to them.

Teleporter

Hey guys i went for the bounty hunter kit and im happy woth it. since my friend is gettin a constellation so we can play together! thing is i wanna help the game more so i tought on gettin some small addons like the skin kits but i have no idea what they will look like and if i can use it on my ships! Can someone get more info on this pls!
awesome thread lets rock on!

Zaptruder

Banned
Wow this is going to make it to 6 million, that's insane. Hell, a couple million more and they would match Witcher 2's entire budget. :lol PC gamers really do come out in droves if you cater to them.

With the additional private investor funding, I don't think that there's a doubt that they've got a bigger budget than Witcher 2.

But the upside of getting such an awesome response from crowdfunding is

1. it's a complete vindication of Chris' vision - the vision that people are funding.
2. It reduces any power than independent investors might have on shaping the outcome of the game. Of course if those investors have good ideas, I'd expect that they'd be used, if they're congruent with the original vision. But it means that they don't have to bend over backwards to cater to anyone other than the vision that everyone is excited about.

sflufan

Banned

Keep saying this after me:

The Witcher 2 was made in Poland.

Xavien

We've been waiting for someone to make this type of game for just under a decade, so there's gonna be some pent up demand :)

Sentenza

Keep saying this after me:

As I said in another thread, you people waving around this argument so insistently are *way* overstating how cheaper developers' salaries are supposed to be in Poland.

Llyranor

Upped from 110 to 125+15 physical Hornet tier.

Come on, orchestral soundtrack! Slightly more than 150k to go in 3hrs. Let's do it!

SparkTR

Plus 20 million in private investor cash. They've got a full-fledged bordering on AAA budget for this title.

SparkTR

Did you read that in an interview? The amount of private investor money that is...

Yeah. I can't find the link, but he said the investor money would scale based on the crowd funding reaction with 20 million at the top, and since the reaction has been great I assume he's roped it all of them.

Durante

To be fair, 330 of those are Oculus Rift, and 280 for Eternity. Still, even the small stuff adds up.

It's basically every dedicated GAF'ers dream: buy games without having to play them.

Perkel

Banned
140k to 6 mln.

When this funding starter there wasn't even single sould who said 6mln is doable. Everyone was like 2-3 max.

And now here we are almost 6 mln $

Now there is not question if kickstarters will reach 10mln$ question is when.

I will say at the end of 2013 we will see first 10mln game kickstarter. Which is amazing.

but 2014 will be most crucial. If games which are currently developed will be blast then sky is only the limit.

edit:

lol site is down again.

edit2:

To be fair, 330 of those are Oculus Rift, and 280 for Eternity. Still, even the small stuff adds up.

It's basically every dedicated GAF'ers dream: buy games without having to play them.

lmao. This is GAF we buy games and talk about them but we don't play them :D

So Oculus Rift + 7.1 Phones + Fly stick that will be glourious. It would be even more amazing if they could do Freespace 2 copilot videos with your own lipsynced voice and head movement.

Acosta

I just reduced my pledge to $35 after realizing that I spent over 800 USD this year on kickstarter.

Sorry!

I hate you for making me think how much I have spent on KS this year...

No regrets, it has be kind of special too, I doubt KS can keep offering the kind of projects I have backed the most this year. Next year it will be more moderated.

Given we are doing confessions: 941$ adding this one, 22 projects (FTL was one so it was a good start!).

Zaptruder

Banned

Haha... when you put it like that... I'm sitting at $710 too! Holy crap :p

Oh well... I'd gladly do it again!

Munin

Has Roberts actually talked about how big is team is? Because I dunno, there's like a handful guys in that room, so I wonder...are they going to contract everything out or how is it gonna work because this seems like a skeleton crew at best

Zaptruder

Banned
Has Roberts actually talked about how big is team is? Because I dunno, there's like a handful guys in that room, so I wonder...are they going to contract everything out or how is it gonna work because this seems like a skeleton crew at best

To be fair, they haven't gotten the money yet, and they've been way too busy doing this whole crowd funding thing to actually actively recruit new people.

Top Bottom