• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

xenist

I've never played a space sim (played arcade-y ones), are the classic ones user-friendly?

Depends. Would you feel that a game where you have to re-route all power to your front shields in order to go through an anti-air barrier so you can dive bomb a spaceship and then quickly trasnfer it to the rear shields so the lasers don't rip you to shreds, is user friendly?

epmode

Wing Commander doesn't really get that in-depth. At least, the first two don't (I'm currently replaying them.) X-Wing and Freespace are much better when they come to the actual sim stuff and you do have to think about shield alignment.

However, even Freespace is a lot easier to grasp than your typical modern flight sim. You can pick up the basics very quickly.

xenist

Wing Commander doesn't really get that in-depth. At least, the first two don't (I'm currently replaying them.) X-Wing and Freespace are much better when they come to the actual sim stuff and you do have to think about shield alignment.

However, even Freespace is a lot easier to grasp than your typical modern flight sim. You can pick up the basics very quickly.

Yeah, you do a lot of things but they are all single button presses.

Decado

The whole MMO thing is why I didn't fund this project. Just seems overly ambitious and I'm not remotely interested in online. I have my doubts whether this game will be worth playing as a single player game.

Depends. Would you feel that a game where you have to re-route all power to your front shields in order to go through an anti-air barrier so you can dive bomb a spaceship and then quickly trasnfer it to the rear shields so the lasers don't rip you to shreds, is user friendly?

That sounds okay...

Which of the classics are downloadable? GoG?

epmode

The Wing Commander and Freespace games are all up on GoG. X-Wing is nowhere because Lucasarts is a terrible company.

Wing Commander has more simplistic combat with a really neat story section (although the first game is very light on story) and Freespace is a little more about the missions. I hear Freespace 2 actually has one of the better stories around but I haven't played it yet.

It bears mentioning that Freespace 2 has a wonderful mod scene and you can easily get the game looking 64896746x better than it did at launch.

Mindlog

Save Freespace 2 for last. It's the high-point to begin the long wait until this game hits.
Depends: Am I dropping thrust to 1/3 to make the turn or am I turning off my stabilizers, pointing my main thruster off-axis and then jamming down on the throttle as hard as I can?

Space!

Hackbert

736516_476658325709528_2118818737_o.jpg

popped up on facebookpage of RSI
Seraphim-Seven, you are clear to land on runway Zero-Two. Good to have you back, pilot.

epmode

Oh man. Oh MAN. Gimmegimmegimmegimme

Between this and Oculus Rift, 2013 is going to crawl.

What's the news? Isn't that the carrier they've been showing throughout the funding campaign?

First in-game shot of the Constellation.

edit: now that I'm looking closer, what is that?
I'm clearly insane.

Keasar

That ship is just so damn beautiful, I am so happy they managed to reach the goal to have it playable both off and online. I really hope they will have more capital class ships in the game like battleships.

If that is in-game (I do not follow it closely) then "Whoa!"

It is in-game.

xenist

The thought of flying up to this, landing in it, getting out and walking around without load screens or ever breaking immersion gives me a boner.

Keasar

The thought of flying up to this, landing in it, getting out and walking around without load screens or ever breaking immersion gives me a boner.

I somehow have a doubt you will land this thing itself, maybe use personal shuttles to go planetside.

Keasar

If Evochron Mercenary could do it, why not this? That was the best moment of that GB quick look.

Considering the extreme detail they put into things. I doubt they can design entire planets. So my guess is they will have special hubs placed on planets that you can land on from orbit , roam around and then travel quickly back up into orbit. Kinda like Freespace. If they did however, that would definetly be awesome.

Hackbert

i am not sure you guys read his post correct. he means landing with a smaller spacecraft in outer space on the carrier. you than can get out and walk inside it. and yes, planets will be like a Hub.

Vlodril

Jinroh

Now add localized and visible damage as well as hull breach, lack of pressure, oxygen, etc. and we have the best space sim ever.

Darkkn

Just watched the trailer again and wow, this game has better spaceship visuals than Battlestar Galactica CGI.

I hope they can deliver that quality of graphics to the final game. My GeForce GTX660 am cry.

Shooting lasers looks super lame tho. Hopefully it's just a alpha thing.

i-Lo

Is the video only watch-able in the US? It keeps on giving me http404 error. I tried chrome and firefox without any avail. Any suggestion?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hopefully these guys discover that niche market Crysis had for a bit, basically being so uber it needs crazy ass hardware, and because it was a quality experience you had a whole population of gamers that then aspired to get new hardware to play it. You just have to be careful your initial launch is still playable by a decent enough %

GrizzNKev

Banned
Hopefully these guys discover that niche market Crysis had for a bit, basically being so uber it needs crazy ass hardware, and because it was a quality experience you had a whole population of gamers that then aspired to get new hardware to play it. You just have to be careful your initial launch is still playable by a decent enough %

I think they said it currently runs at or near 30 FPS on a 570 right now, so I'm not too worried about performance. A game with assets of this high quality running at 30 FPS 1080p on my 580 would leave me completely satisfied.

pottuvoi

Banned
I think they said it currently runs at or near 30 FPS on a 570 right now, so I'm not too worried about performance. A game with assets of this high quality running at 30 FPS 1080p on my 580 would leave me completely satisfied.
Hopefully they will change to CE4 before release.. ;)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As someone who never really played a space sim before, even though it's one of the most interesting genres to me, what would be a good one to jump into? Preferably available on Steam or DD in general.

I have X3 on Steam, but never really got into it pat an hour or so in. I could give it another spin if its the best out there though.

Lime

As someone who never really played a space sim before, even though it's one of the most interesting genres to me, what would be a good one to jump into? Preferably available on Steam or DD in general.

I have X3 on Steam, but never really got into it pat an hour or so in. I could give it another spin if its the best out there though.

MUST PLAY: Freespace 2 on GOG.com with mediaVPS.

Also, Tie Fighter if you can get a hold of it.

DarkStar One is on Steam for cheap.

Also, you can never go wrong with the Wing Commander series. They're old, but they are still awesome.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
There should be no issues, though I have only tried on one of the early betas. I am also one of the few that believe Freespace 1 i worth playing as well.

Nice. Well looks like I will be buying Freespace 2 imminently. Any tips?

DarkStar One is on Steam for cheap.

Also, you can never go wrong with the Wing Commander series. They're old, but they are still awesome.

How is Darkstar One in comparison to FS2?

I actually did play Wing Commander back in the day, loved it at the time, but looking for a more modern space sim at the moment. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Top Bottom