• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
MUST PLAY: Freespace 2 on GOG.com with mediaVPS.

Also, Tie Fighter if you can get a hold of it.

So I just bought FS2 off GOG.com, downloading that as we speak. The DL page for MediaVPS is telling me that it only works with Freespace2 Open, and causes Freespace 2 to crash.. am I okay with the GoD version?

Lime

So I just bought FS2 off GOG.com, downloading that as we speak. The DL page for MediaVPS is telling me that it only works with Freespace2 Open, and causes Freespace 2 to crash.. am I okay with the GoD version?

Yeah, the mediaVPS work fine with the GOG versions. You can also just get the Freespace Open installer, as it will automatically guide you through which fan-made mods you want to install to the GOG version.

Alternatively, use this Guide. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

Or this on on GOG: http://www.gog.com/forum/freespace_series/quick_and_simple_freespace_2_scp_installation_guide/page1

BigTnaples

Yeah, the mediaVPS work fine with the GOG versions. You can also just get the Freespace Open installer, as it will automatically guide you through which fan-made mods you want to install to the GOG version.

Alternatively, use this Guide. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

Or this on on GOG: http://www.gog.com/forum/freespace_series/quick_and_simple_freespace_2_scp_installation_guide/page1

Thanks, well I think I have it all up and running properly but when I launch the launcher I get a fatal error "Failed EnumAdapterModes in UpdateAntialiasList" and "Failed to set graphic mode" everytime I change a graphical setting.

I just played the tutorials and the very first mission and the game runs fine, but according to the launcher it is running in OpenGL with AA and AF off and in 16bit color. Solution?

Also sorry for the brief hijack, just between watching a rewatching all of the Star Citizen footage, and my recent discovery of the show "BattleStar Galactica" on Netflix, I needed a SpaceSim fix.

Lime

Thanks, well I think I have it all up and running properly but when I launch the launcher I get a fatal error "Failed EnumAdapterModes in UpdateAntialiasList" and "Failed to set graphic mode" everytime I change a graphical setting.

I just played the tutorials and the very first mission and the game runs fine, but according to the launcher it is running in OpenGL with AA and AF off and in 16bit color. Solution?

This thread might help you

Also sorry for the brief hijack, just between watching a rewatching all of the Star Citizen footage, and my recent discovery of the show "BattleStar Galactica" on Netflix, I needed a SpaceSim fix

Talking about Freespace 2 automatically justifies any form of hijack, no matter the thread.

BigTnaples

This thread might help you

Talking about Freespace 2 automatically justifies any form of hijack, no matter the thread.

Haha got it working, thanks a lot for the help.

Now for embarrassing confession time. All these years I for some reason had Freespace 2 confused with Freelancer.

256px-Freespace2box.jpg

Freelancer_Cover.jpg

Didn't realize until like the 4th mission that this was nothing like the demo I remember playing. Haha.

That said, this game is amazing so far. Playing with my Logitech 3D pro and having a blast. (Only issue is my roll function stopped working on the last mission? I am sure I will figure it out)

So pumped for Star Citizen, I think I will build an entirely new rig just for this game at launch, as I will want 60FPS vsync and stereo 3D so I can play with Occulus.

Perkel

Banned
Haha got it working, thanks a lot for the help.

Now for embarrassing confession time. All these years I for some reason had Freespace 2 confused with Freelancer.

Didn't realize until like the 4th mission that this was nothing like the demo I remember playing. Haha.

That said, this game is amazing so far. Playing with my Logitech 3D pro and having a blast. (Only issue is my roll function stopped working on the last mission? I am sure I will figure it out)

So pumped for Star Citizen, I think I will build an entirely new rig just for this game at launch, as I will want 60FPS vsync and stereo 3D so I can play with Occulus.

Play it. Freespace 2 has one of the best stories in gaming and i am PST fan.

Death of a Spaceman

One of my goals with Star Citizen is to make it feel very visceral and real. I want to feel the effects of physical damage on my character, loss of limb or other mishaps that can happen in the danger of space. If my character has been through several wars, I want to see the scars on him/her – perhaps a cybernetic arm because one was lost in firefight or the wrong side of a dogfight. I want to be able to walk up to another player in a bar and SEE that he or she is a grizzled veteran with the battle scars to prove it. This is the kind of detail, texture, and immersion that I want to achieve with Star Citizen.

That's just a short quote about the general aim for it, but a lot more at the link.

Mentions unique bosses, character creation, more on insurance, boarding, single player, and of course--the death system.

Game of the forever.

Man, I want to believe so badly that he can pull off everything he's been promising so far, but i keep thinking what if this turns out to be like another molyneux situation, and I like molyneux, but he's gotten a lot of flak over the years for those promises that he's never been able to keep. I don't want that to happen to roberts, since I'm such a fan of the Wing Commander series.

Yeah. Luckily the Squadron 42 side of things seems totally doable, as he knows how to do that kind of thing well, so I'll be happy with that.

Star Citizen side of things is far more ambitious.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RSI website said:
The Character creation screen will be done “in-fiction”. You’ll start the game in 1st person view looking at two bathroom doors – one with a male sign and one with a female sign. Which door you walk through will determine what sex you are when you walk into the washroom. Walking up to the mirror, you’ll see your reflection. Wiping the condensation off of the mirror with your hand (or some similar mechanic) will change / reveal your facial appearance. When you’re happy with how you look, you will exit and return to the UEE recruitment office and officer.

If this game turns out badly, reviews will lead off with, "Star Citizen starts in the toilet and gets worse from there." =P

I think it's a cool way to handle death. I don't think it'll be particularly hard to pull off — this doesn't seem like one of Chris Roberts' most ambitious plans for this game.

And it looks like the Galactapedia on the front page of the website will play a more integral role with the game than I thought.

Sentenza

I don't know... I don't want to sound overconfident because that's never particularly wise for unreleased projects, but even ignoring his past track record as game designer, the more I read about his ideas, the more Chris Roberts sounds pretty damn aware of what he's trying to do.

I don't get the Molyneux comparisons.
Molyneux is notorious for pulling out shit like "This game will destroy the foundations of what you think to know about games, love and life".
Roberts is describing his line of thinking about how to handle death in game and mentioning Demon's Souls as inspiration.

We are on two different planets here.

I don't know... I don't want to sound overconfident because that's never particularly wise for unreleased projects, but even ignoring his past track record as game designer, the more I read about his ideas, the more Chris Taylor sounds pretty damn aware of what he's trying to do.

I don't get the Molyneux comparisons.
Molyneux is notorious for pulling out shit like "This game will destroy the foundations of what you think to know about games, love and life".
Taylor is describing his line of thinking about how to handle death in game and mentioning Demon's Souls as inspiration.

We are on two different planets here.

We clearly are, since his name is Chris Roberts.

Just a lapsus. I had a long day.
Beside that, my argument doesn't change a bit.

Neither does mine. Roberts has made a number of rather ambitious statements as to what he'd like to do with Star Citizen, especially when combining the elements of the MMO with the single player portion, and other things such as exploration of uncharted star systems, and other things i can't remember off of the top of my head. As much as I'd like his vision to be realized in its entirety, there's always that possibility that some of those goals might not be realized, and i would hate for him to be grouped together with molyneux in that regard as a consequence, since some gamers are quick to raise those pitchforks to complain about some minor niggle. I wasn't specifically referring to his discussion about death and how the game might handle it, but his statements overall.

CTLance

Aw yeeeah, come to Papa.

Kinda wish they had included an NFC/RFID chip, just for shits'n'giggles.

Also:

Freelancer > Colonel

There, I said it.

Just got a reminder e-mail, the deadline to turn in your information for your customized Citizen Card is this Friday, February 15th.

Go to your account page and click the red box to input your shipping info and the name you want on the card, if you haven't done so already.

Hari Seldon

Just got a reminder e-mail, the deadline to turn in your information for your customized Citizen Card is this Friday, February 15th.

Go to your account page and click the red box to input your shipping info and the name you want on the card, if you haven't done so already.

I pledged and got this email, but what exactly is this Citizen Card?

gdt

Death of a Spaceman

That's just a short quote about the general aim for it, but a lot more at the link.

Mentions unique bosses, character creation, more on insurance, boarding, single player, and of course--the death system.

Game of the forever.

This just sounds so amazing. I haven't followed the game at all, but have they talked about KB/M and gamepad support? I'd get a joystick if I have to though.

epmode

This just sounds so amazing. I haven't followed the game at all, but have they talked about KB/M and gamepad support? I'd get a joystick if I have to though.

They're planning on supporting most anything that works with DirectInput or XInput.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Pledgers at the bronze and silver levels have until midnight CST tonight to pitch in $10 more and upgrade their plastic citizen cards to brushed metal cards. I guess they got enough votes in the poll to go ahead with this.

Make sure you login, put your shipping information under "Your Account," then go back to "Your Account" and click the red link concerning upgrading to the metal card.

Anyone who pledged at the gold level or above are getting metal cards at no additional charge. Pledgers below bronze don't have the option of getting metal cards.

Also, the thread title should be updated to reflect that $8 million have now been pledged to this game.

Vlodril

I somehow missed the death of a spaceman blog post. It sounds fantastic. everything i want from an mmo. I always had doubts if he can deliver on his promises but man he dreams big and i love it.

Leave themeparks mmo's for those that enjoy killing onyxia over and over(no offence to everyone that enjoy's it but the first time i saw the XXXX Has killed onyxia and she respawning after 5 mins for the next person to get XXX has killed onyxia i was done with the game).

jett

D-Member
I hadn't realized that C64 musical legend Martin Galway is the sound designer for this game. Pretty fucking awesome.

Mindlog

It's weird getting this massive nostalgia when at the same time I'm imagining that concept image through an Oculus Rift.

Mindlog

What we decided was that this style of play demands a different approach to items. You won’t necessarily find that “level 2” laser cannons are objectively better than “level 1” laser cannons. In fact, you won’t find the word level anywhere in the game – except maybe next to an elevator shaft.
Yes. I have been saying this and it felt like shouting into a hurricane. It's so refreshing to read from a developer with the same perspective.

Anno

There's no way this game can actually live up to how awesome the promises/concept art/concept in general make, right? 'Cause if so...fuck, man, I might not need another game.

garath

Getting harassed by the website as someone that signed up for the golden ticket but didn't back yet. Worst part is it is working. The threat of minimums going up soon makes me want to throw 40 at the game to secure beta access and the full game later.

I just wish it wasn't late 2014. Ugh.

Babalu.

I got an email showing the aurora starting ship and an upgraded version. It looks cool but I'm on my phone. Anyone care to post the pictures.

Top Bottom