• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
12 months from now, the multiplayer dogfighting alpha will release. 6 months later, the single-player campaign beta will release. 6 months after that, the full game goes on sale.

Zaptruder

Banned
Too bad they didn't have a crazy $7 million stretch goal, since it looks like they could hit it soon. :)

TBH, I don't even know why they bother to keep the counter up.

They won't post any more stretch goals... they've already got their work cut out for them... and at this point, more money will just go towards generically making everything better.

I assume that will translate to more stuff, more details. Possibly an extra ship or two if they can spare the time.

Whatever pre-planning they had before they launched the kickstarter have been exhausted; every single crowd funding goal was met.

I mean... I get that it's nice to keep it up to see how much more awesome it'll possibly be... but they set a record, and having the number write over that record number kinda sucks too - delegitimizes the record that has been set.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
TotalBiscuit posted a 30 minute interview with Chris Roberts. Really good stuff here, he starts to get into the nitty gritty of how exactly the multiplayer works, the universe, economy etc...

Good listen.

TotalBiscuit posted a 30 minute interview with Chris Roberts. Really good stuff here, he starts to get into the nitty gritty of how exactly the multiplayer works, the universe, economy etc...

Good listen.

Really good interview. Didn't know Roberts left Digital Anvil a couple years before Freelancer released. Definitely explains why some of the game feels very generic in some places. Was nice hearing how the MP works. I've actually come across that same style being used in Old Republic, each planet is an instance in itself and holds about 200 people a piece. Also, nice to hear there will be 3-4 campaigns a year and Roberts really wants to have those episodes each be quality pieces.

Xane

Really good interview. Didn't know Roberts left Digital Anvil a couple years before Freelancer released. Definitely explains why some of the game feels very generic in some places. Was nice hearing how the MP works. I've actually come across that same style being used in Old Republic, each planet is an instance in itself and holds about 200 people a piece. Also, nice to hear there will be 3-4 campaigns a year and Roberts really wants to have those episodes each be quality pieces.
Roberts is putting all his heart into this projects.
It's basicly his dreamproject, a game he'd play himself.
So much passion.

Also, only at page 20?

GAF. I am disappoint.

Xane

20/40 pages really isn't bad for a non-mainstream game on Gaf honestly.

CHRIS NEEDS US!

1oZYg.jpg

12 months from now, the multiplayer dogfighting alpha will release. 6 months later, the single-player campaign beta will release. 6 months after that, the full game goes on sale.

The full single player campaign. The persistent universe launches six months after that.

Zaptruder

Banned
I moderated a video chat with David Braben and Chris Roberts talking about Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. Here's Part 1:

http://youtu.be/NvPU8e2ezgo

Dammit. Boring as fludge. The first 5 minutes is Roberts repeating what he said in the last 10 minutes on the Total Biscuit interview.

And no cross-discussion about the actual games that they're making.

Is Elite going to have big ass multiplayer ships? Is it going to be traversable as in Star Citizen? Is Elite going to keep the ability to transition from space to planet to city without and cuts between?

Is Star Citizen going to allow for much in the way of planetary interaction? Mainly trading via star ports. How about mining a planet? Fuel Scooping from Gas Giants? Does that mean you can go down into the roiling gas clouds?

Zabojnik

Space Sim Fans: 100,092

Yeah, I know, those who pledged on RSI and Kickstarter are counted twice (for now), but still. Pretty cool. Approaching 7M$ too.

ghostmind

So the Citizen cards won't make Christmas. I was expecting this, as I didn't know how they were going to sort it all out and get things out for holiday shipping in such short order. It's a non-issue for me.

Perkel

Banned
As of a few hours back, we have reached a $7,000,000 pledged.

Fucking amazing dude. I was already saying at the end of Project Eternity kickstarter that in few months we will probably see 7-8 mln $ crowdfunded games and with first batch of games from crowdfunding (being good ofc) we will reach probably 10-15 mln $ in a year or two.

Munin

actually,it's not that much money if you count how much you need to make a game nowadays

They have another 10-20 from private investors. Well, I hope they do. I find it curious how Roberts never brought it up again since the initial pitch.

epmode

They have another 10-20 from private investors. Well, I hope they do. I find it curious how Roberts never brought it up again since the initial pitch.

He brought up the external investors in the recent Gary Whitta interview but there were no specifics about the money.

Grief.exe

actually,it's not that much money if you count how much you need to make a game nowadays

7 million, 10+ million from private investors, and a lot of the initial groundwork for the game is already done.

With a development time of two years you can hire a fairly substantial team even at 100,000 per employee per year.

And since he isn't tied to a publisher, they won't have millions of dollars worth of overheard to account for.

bengraven

This looks really pretty but I worry about the balance between sim and shooter.

That seems to be my biggest issue with space sims - I still haven't found one I actually like. They're either too complicated and boring or too linear.

KKRT00

Does anyone still not get pledge linked to their RSI profile? I've pledged on the backup site at the first day and i'm waiting for link like for 2+ weeks already.

Roberts stated, I think on Kickstarter, that the Freelancer renders were not the final design as the scale was not right and there are still going to be some changes to it. I'm glad because I was expecting it to be somewhat larger in size as it currently looks the same size as the hornet.

Top Bottom