• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Developer Cloud Imperium Games Imposes 7-Day Work Week

diffusionx

Gold Member
Somehow I doubt the "rest of the world" never ever works a couple of weekends in a row.
"Is that.... THIRTY HOURS OF EXTRA WORK IN TWO WEEKS? AHHHH IMMM GOING INSANE SAVE ME URSULA!!!!!!!!!"

The problem with "crunch" is that it is continuous, like work 70 hours a week and eat pizza under your desk for six months. Not a couple extra weekends. A good employer will ensure that this is not necessary but sometimes it is.

Dorago

They gotta get out a new trailer for the next donation drive. What a fucking joke. Are they still on Cry-engine (which has been out of date for 5 years)?

StereoVsn

Tech folks are not really blue or white collar, imo. Kind of a gray area. Highly skilled people, but not management, executives, etc. Where I work, I get paid for OT,but yeah, that isn't always the case.
Oh, that’s pretty great!

I haven’t seen a job that does that over a fairly long time in the industry. Most work will give you some comp time at most.

But yeah, software dev is interesting because you have a lot of contractors as well as mix of outsourcing and more.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I guess I'm spoiled doing electrical construction. Anything after 8 hours is time and a half. After 12 hours its double time. Saturday is time and a half whole day. Sunday is a double time the whole day. In construction a lot of guys love when jobs have overtime.

Badly managed game has bad management.
Sutton Foster Surprise GIF by YoungerTV

Topher

Gold Member
Do they give you time and half at least? If time off is the compensation then where I am the standard is usually Saturdays gives you time and half and Sundays gives you double.

Doesn't even sound like they're getting that here.

Nah....just straight time for me as well, but I get paid OT so I rarely use comp time. Last time I got time and a half was working retail.....many moons ago.

Oh, that’s pretty great!

I haven’t seen a job that does that over a fairly long time in the industry. Most work will give you some comp time at most.

But yeah, software dev is interesting because you have a lot of contractors as well as mix of outsourcing and more.

I feel fairly lucky, tbh. I've had jobs where I get paid salary and still have to work weekends. It does suck a lot. That is taking time away from my family and not even getting a boost in pay for it. That is not wise for a long period of time. Good employers will recognize that and not let their employees get burned out.

clarky

Gold Member
I guess I'm spoiled doing electrical construction. Anything after 8 hours is time and a half. After 12 hours its double time. Saturday is time and a half whole day. Sunday is a double time the whole day. In construction a lot of guys love when jobs have overtime.
Preach. I'm an electrician and would (and do) work 100 hours a week.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I've worked 80 hours a week for about a month once, but never 100. That's.....a lot.
I get to take time off as and when i like so when the works there, i tend to grab it with both hands. Plus i work in remote locations most of the time, not much else to do other than work (and play videogames of course).

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I get to take time off as and when i like so when the works there, i tend to grab it with both hands. Plus i work in remote locations most of the time, not much else to do other than work (and play videogames of course).

My current foreman describes being a construction worker as "feast & famine".

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm a manager over a small software dev team. We are lucky enough to work on an agile system and almost never get hard deadlines. If things go over time, I've been able to set expectations with my exec team and they're almost always okay with it. We've only had one project in the last few years where I had to ask my team to work OT to get a project done by a deadline.

Because it's so infrequent and I have a great relationship with the team, they've pulled together and got it done without any drama or issues. I'm well aware if I were working at a bigger company where we were delivering projects for external clients instead of our internal app, it would be very different.
Not having deadlines is abnormal compared to most dev shops. I've been in situations many times where changes in government regulations or economic conditions require changes by a certain date. If not completed on time the impact to company operations would be in the millions. Missing a deadline will almost certainly mean people losing their jobs. Sometimes in this field we have to work a few weekends and hours around the edges to keep the ship afloat. It's just the way it is.

Cyberpunkd

Cloud Imperium Games, the developer of Star Citizen, has mandated its developers to work seven days a week to meet deadlines for Citizencon on October 19th.
An internal email sent to staff yesterday states that the company needs to “double down over the next 18 days to make sure that once again we create an amazing experience for our community.” This includes finalizing patch 3.24.2 for Star Citizen and having a Squadron 42 demo showcase for Chapter 1.
A. I'm pretty sure mandating overtime is illegal, so I'm curious how this will go?
B. Why bother? It's not like they are ever releasing the game? Roberts probably needs extra whale surge to siphon more money.

Mownoc

clarky clarky , you live in Europe, don't you?
You think someone who just said they work 100 hour weeks is representative? Some try to have a healthy work life balance. The vast majority of people in Europe if told they had to work 14 days in a row would be majorly pissed to put it lightly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You think someone who just said they work 100 hour weeks is representative? Some try to have a healthy work life balance.

Then you probably shouldn't make broad generalizations about "America" and "the rest of the world". Plenty of people in America take jobs that require no overtime. I'm merely suggesting that there are probably plenty of people in the "rest of the world" that do work overtime.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Then you probably shouldn't make broad generalizations about "America" and "the rest of the world". Plenty of people in America take jobs that require no overtime. I'm merely suggesting that there are plenty of people in the "rest of the world" that do work overtime.
I'd be hard pushed to find anyone in my field, in the UK or Europe who works a standard 37 hour week.

Sentenza

Exempt employees (most white collar workers) don’t get paid overtime in vast majority of cases.
I'm not aware of a single job here in Italy (and I would guess in the rest of Europe as well) where you aren't paid for overtime.
Unless it's your own private business and you are doing it as the owner...

That said, it's two fucking weekends to meet a deadline. Not sure who needs to make an internet drama out of it,

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I'm not aware of a single job here in Italy (and I would guess in the rest of Europe as well) where you aren't paid for overtime.

That said, it's two fucking weekends to meet a deadline. Not sure who needs to make an internet drama out of it,
US is completely different for labor practices and it’s a two-sided coin. On one hand general treatment of employees is meh. On the other hand salaries are much higher, especially in IT/Software Dev.

Comandr

And then everyone that did work the extra time gets the Monday after the event off. So that week will only be a 4 day work week. It's just too easy to jump on literally anything CIG is doing and scream SCAM.

I'm not gonna virtue signal and pretend shit like this is bad.

I'd much rather see devs crunch in short periods and deliver quality than have devs like Bungie who waste time and resources on fucking knitting lessons only to launch fucking horseshit expansion content like LightFall.

And then everyone that did work the extra time gets the Monday after the event off. So that week will only be a 4 day work week. It's just too easy to jump on literally anything CIG is doing and scream SCAM.

It's not 14 consecutive working days. It's a four day work week. How generous of them

Last edited:
"It's just too easy to jump on literally anything CIG is doing and scream SCAM."

Have you ever wondered why that is?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Maybe now they can finish the game before 2077.

The good news is that the project is still alive, I think. So, there's still hope...

I'm surprised they didn't run out of money yet.

News how? There is early access with regular updates to try the game.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I will say this, I never made overtime while serving and if some fucker wanted to pay me overtime for sitting in AC, in a chair, on a puter, i would have been retired in my 30s instead of my 40s. Give me all that, while sitting on my ass.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Because people see open development going on for years, know nothing about game development, and shout their armchair opinions on internet message boards.
Seems like you are quite knowleadgeable about game development, so please tell us what is the reason that game that should have been released 10 years ago still doesn't have even vague release date? Maybe there is some benefit for higher-ups in stretching this process as much as they can?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yes, because at this point they have to put something out and they are desperate.
Get you, you are just regurgitating shite because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Game has been playable and "out" in one form or another for many years now.

Top Bottom