• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTupolev

If exocomet fragments are the most consistent explanation then this thread wouldn't exist and SETI would not have pointed it's radio arrays at the star.
Online discussions of phenomena veer toward ETI because they're a topic that's exciting on the surface.

SETI researchers pointed arrays at the star because the phenomenon seems likely enough to involve ETI that SETI researchers felt it was worth their time. Which isn't really the same thing as ETI being the most likely explanation.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
We should leave it alone.

I personally believe that the aliens in ID4 were going to broadcast a message of piece, but we sent up a helicopter that told them to fuck off in light form. They had no choice but to respond.

Would debris from an impact like that stay in a huge cluster like that and steadily stay in orbit?
Or wait.. a hot jupiter... what would that sort of impact cause? Lots of debris? Just a big cloud?
It would be an opaque gas cloud, I imagine, but this is just me speculating with no idea whether such an impact would even behave that way.

StayDead

We should put up a wall to prevent those dirty benefit scrounging allens from getting onto earth.

njlGcbn.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe this thing is hiding a planet on the other side of it, and blocks all radio signals or other information we could gather from that planet? A big shield to keep themselves hidden to some extent, which doesn't prevent us from thinking there might be aliens, but preventing us from collecting any more info than that.

Than again, I believe the triangle is known to be fairly flat, in which case at a certain point whatever is behind it could possibly be seen.

Aliens or not, whatever is happening around KIC 8462852 is totally unprecedented. They have never seen anything like it. THAT alone makes it very exciting. Also, maybe SETI didn't pick anything up, because the triangle or the planet or whatever is out of range (behind the star or whatever) right now?

Wolfe

Also, maybe SETI didn't pick anything up, because the triangle or the planet or whatever is out of range (behind the star or whatever) right now?

It's not likely that SETI would have picked up anything anyway unless they happened to be beaming signals towards us and also specifically from 1400 years ago.

@Joey, stick with dick tattoos dude.

low-G

Which would actually make sense. If we built a Dyson catchment system and wanted to keep it on the DL we'd have it imitate a natural phenomenon.

How about put a dyson sphere around a very energetic star, but have the outside appear like a less powerful star. It could be ANY of these stars!

Alexlf

Woah Woah Woah people, read the article. He says that comets are not satisfactory for describing all the effects based on our current knowledge. In no way does he rule out alien super structures. He's just saying comets are more likely, even with the strange effects, and he's right.

Either way there's (potentially) some cool new physics to discover.

Woah Woah Woah people, read the article. He says that comets are not satisfactory for describing all the effects based on our current knowledge. In no way does he rule out alien super structures. He's just saying comets are more likely, even with the strange effects, and he's right.

Either way there's (potentially) some cool new physics to discover.

This.

Kreuzader

So, KIC 8462852 is even weirder than Kepler saw:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.03256

From the early 1890s to the late 1980s, KIC 8462852 has faded by 0.193+-0.030 mag. This century-long dimming is completely unprecedented for any F-type main sequence star. So the Harvard light curve provides the first confirmation (past the several dips seen in the Kepler light curve alone) that KIC 8462852 has anything unusual going on.

[...]

Within the context of dust-occultation models, the century-long dimming trend requires 10^4 to 10^7 times as much dust as for the one deepest Kepler dip. Within the context of the comet-family idea, the century-long dimming trend requires an estimated 648,000 giant comets (each with 200 km diameter) all orchestrated to pass in front of the star within the last century.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Even if this isnt an alien civilization, and its most likely not, this is still an unprecedented phenomenon. Though damn... parts of me do want it to be a super civilization building a Dyson sphere in real time.

Actually this whole idea of Earth watching a species light years away slowly building a megastructure but not seeing anything in real detail and only being able to speculate about what is going on would make a great science fiction story.

Shit... I need to start writing this now! Dont steal my idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom