• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if this new Update is correct it's been dimming for over 100 years, and most likely can't be explained by comets.

A dyson sphere seems slightly more plausible. But whatever is happening with KIC 8462852 it's really interesting. Even if it's (most likely) a natural phenomenon. It's something we've never observed before.

Right now, I just wish we had much much better telescopes outside of earth's atmosphere, compared to anything currently available.

Ditto. Good thing is, the next 10-15 years will bring quite a few awesome telescopes to light (no pun intended).

Quazar

Great update. Kepler project has been so great. Time to start checking Keplers results by looking at atmospheres of planets found.

Frodo

So if this new Update is correct it's been dimming for over 100 years, and most likely can't be explained by comets.

A dyson sphere seems slightly more plausible. But whatever is happening with KIC 8462852 it's really interesting. Even if it's (most likely) a natural phenomenon. It's something we've never observed before.

Right now, I just wish we had much much better telescopes outside of earth's atmosphere, compared to anything currently available.

Well, the James Webb Space Telescope will be launched in 2018, if this can wait until then...

Edit: beaten.

There's the JWST, the E-ELT – European Extreme Large Telescope, the SKA – Square Kilometer Array, the GMT - Giant Magellan Telescope etc

spekkeh

Banned
Wouldn't it "just" be a large collision that caused one of the planets to explode and that is now circling the sun getting increasingly fragmented?

Eric C

So in addition to weird dips of light we first found out about, now we find out it's also been dimming for over a century.

WTH is going on with that star. This new update makes me wonder even more about just what is causing this. I'm impatient, I want to know now.

So in addition to weird dips of light we first found out about, now we find out it's also been dimming for over a century.

WTH is going on with that star. This new update makes me wonder even more about just what is causing this. I'm impatient, I want to know now.

To be fair, we should at least wait for the latest article to undergo the peer review process before taking it as fact.

SETI found no artificial signals. People were freaking out back in the day when PULSARs were first discovered. They didn't know wtf they were. I say this star probably has the most comets around any star ever. Just a bunch of comets and asteroids and shit. Maybe a failed solar system. But yes, the updates just get weirder and weirder. What ever happened to people saying the dimming events were shaped like a triangle?

I think its worth it to point a dedicated space telescope at this thing to see whats going on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SETI found no artificial signals. People were freaking out back in the day when PULSARs were first discovered. They didn't know wtf they were. I say this star probably has the most comets around any star ever. Just a bunch of comets and asteroids and shit. Maybe a failed solar system. But yes, the updates just get weirder and weirder. What ever happened to people saying the dimming events were shaped like a triangle?

That's still true.

BTW how come we know it's been dimming for 100 years at least?

I think its worth it to point a dedicated space telescope at this thing to see whats going on.

I'm just spitballing here, and definitely not a scientist, but what if there was a black hole in an irregular orbit around that star?

SkyOdin

Can we even be sure they are related phenomena? Isn't it just as likely that the dimming and occlusion are due to different reasons?
It is possible, but it seems highly unlikely that one star would possess two wholely unrealted qualities that have not been seen in any other star. So the odds of them being unrelated are low.

That's still true.

BTW how come we know it's been dimming for 100 years at least?
Someone went back and checked through a hundred years' worth of historical star observations. It is possible that the dimming has been occuring for longer than that, I think.

I'm just spitballing here, and definitely not a scientist, but what if there was a black hole in an irregular orbit around that star?
If there was a black hole, we would have detected it by noticing a wobble in the star's movement caused by the black hole's gravity. The Kepler telescope is designed to do that specifically, since it is designed to look for exoplanets that we can't see directly. A black hole is significantly more massive than a planet, and is thus much easier to detect.

It is possible, but it seems highly unlikely that one star would possess two wholely unrealted qualities that have not been seen in any other star. So the odds of them being unrelated are low.

The universe is huge, and rare things happen all the time. I'm probably just invoking the anthropic principle here, but it's at least a possibility.

If there was a black hole, we would have detected it by noticing a wobble in the star. The Kepler telescope is designed to do that specifically, since it is designed to look for exoplanets that we can't see directly. A black hole is significantly more massive than a planet, and is thus much easier to detect.

Does the star not have any wobble at all?

" I do not see how it is possible for something like 648,000 giant-comets to exist around one star, nor to have their orbits orchestrated so as to all pass in front of the star within the last century. So I take this century-long dimming as a strong argument against the comet-family hypothesis to explain the Kepler dips."

Yikes...

Something unprecedented is happening there.

Its exciting to think that something weird that has never been seen before (like a pulsar for example) is so close to earth, and not in the middle of some galaxy billions of light years away

A negative SETI finding shouldn't rule things out as there are a few things to consider. KIC 8462852 is 1480 ly away, and SETI I believe would fail to detect Earth at greater than 100 ly (or even far less). There's also the factor of catching the other civilization during peak broadcast, which may not be a large window. What I mean by that is as technology evolves so does transmission of information, look at the evolution of broadcast TV, not only moving away from omnidirection broadcasting but also to digital which requires less power so it won't propagate as far. And this all assumes that they have not moved to some kind of post radio communication. Then there's even also the possibility of encryption, where advanced encryption in theory would not be discernible from white noise.

Mindlog

The universe is huge, and rare things happen all the time. I'm probably just invoking the anthropic principle here, but it's at least a possibility.

Does the star not have any wobble at all?
That actually brings up a rather interesting point that's probably been brought up before, but I just noticed. Light dimmed by a massive amount. It would be weird for a hypothetical structure (or anything really) of that size to not produce a wobble. For funsies someone should guess at the structure and materials of an object that could produce that kind of dimming without a tell-tale wobble in the parent star.

Also spitballing.
And a little inebriated.

UFO

Banned
since its so far away, isnt it possible that theres an object between us, like a dead star, thats blocking progressively more light as it moves closer to us ans further from them? That coupled with a large planet to explain the daiily dips might explain it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. great bump.

2. I'm not saying it's aliens,

3. But if it is, how fucking amazing and scary would it be if the first time we detect intelligent life it might be a type-II civ? I don't know what you all grew up believing would happen with aliens but the popular portrayal has always been a species powerful enough to reach FTL speeds and it just kinda stopped there and went exploring. But a species capable of building a Dyson sphere?

That should stop everyone in their tracks for a long long time.

Yagharek

since its so far away, isnt it possible that theres an object between us, like a dead star, thats blocking progressively more light as it moves closer to us ans further from them? That coupled with a large planet to explain the daiily dips might explain it.

A large planet with regular dips would be easy to detect or infer with standard methods based on wobble of the stars orbit or light curves with consistent periodicity.

The light curve/dips are irregular; it's not a planet causing this.

Mindlog

Eh, not necessarily. The important thing to remember is that while they're big they're also hollow
Dyson Ring or Islands™. Not O'Neill's I have been reminded.
No observed wobble because the star is the center of mass in a properly built Dyson Object anyway.
Still working out the orbital period of 1,500 days. That's going to win this Ring vs Island™ argument. Going to need more beer.

Definitely aliens though. 100%. The lightweights claiming natural phenomena have been plowed under the table.

Where did they live in the interim? Wouldn't the planet start falling out of it's orbit as your consumed its mass? Is there enough mass in an earth sized planet to make such a structure?

Beats me, the more I think about this the less comfortable I am with exactly how you acquire resources for such a project

My little ape brain keeps fixating on the prospect of planetary manifest destiny

I wonder if a planet sized debris field could account for these observations, like if two planets collided or something

AyzOn

Neo Member
That is really exciting and I really hope its aliens but I have to agree, we´re most likely just spectators of a natural phenomenon that we haven't seen yet.

Space´s crazy yo. :)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Beats me, the more I think about this the less comfortable I am with exactly how you acquire resources for such a project

My little ape brain keeps fixating on the prospect of planetary manifest destiny

I wonder if a planet sized debris field could account for these observations, like if two planets collided or something

There is a whole asteroid belt to mine in our own solar system so these hypothetical aliens could have one to mine in their own solar system

There is a whole asteroid belt to mine in our own solar system so these hypothetical aliens could have one to mine in their own solar system

But that whole asteroid belt doesn't have enough material to stretch all the way around the sun. If you were to coalesce all of the mass of our asteroid belt together it would be less than half the size of our moon.

1. great bump.

2. I'm not saying it's aliens,

3. But if it is, how fucking amazing and scary would it be if the first time we detect intelligent life it might be a type-II civ? I don't know what you all grew up believing would happen with aliens but the popular portrayal has always been a species powerful enough to reach FTL speeds and it just kinda stopped there and went exploring. But a species capable of building a Dyson sphere?

That should stop everyone in their tracks for a long long time.

A species capable of building a Dyson sphere far surpasses us in technology and engineering.

To harness energy at that scale is a civilization that should be left alone imo.

I'm fine with SETI doing their best to capture possible radio signals from advanced alien civilizations, but disagree on Active SETI broadcasting our signals out there.

#teamscary

ntropy

A species capable of building a Dyson sphere far surpasses us in technology and engineering.

To harness energy at that scale is a civilization that should be left alone imo.

I'm fine with SETI doing their best to capture possible radio signals from advanced alien civilizations, but disagree on Active SETI broadcasting our signals out there.

#teamscary
tumblr_neec7hdR981rwq84jo1_400.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But that whole asteroid belt doesn't have enough material to stretch all the way around the sun. If you were to coalesce all of the mass of our asteroid belt together it would be less than half the size of our moon.

Is this true? Just curious as I thought there was a lot of raw material out there. Planetoids and such

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Could the material used for the sphere be some super high yield super strong discovery of theirs?

Imagine for the sphere,

Modular design

Ground breaking battery/energy storage technology

Super high yield space grade composite material

Fool proof automated building process

Isn't this what we need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom