• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

But what if it's a planet more than 22 times the size of Jupiter? Or over 22 Jupiter-sized planets in a cluster?
A planet 22x the size of Jupiter in what way? Because our sun is less than 10x Jupiter in diameter.

I can't imagine a cluster of 22 Jupiter-sized objects would be a cluster for very long.

I have a different question.

Could there be intelligent beings for whom sense of time-scale is different. For example for ant's perception of 1 second is different compared to us humans.

If we take this analogy further, there could be intelligent beings who could live for thousand/millions of years and for whom 1 second (instant) is like our 1 year?

Plants do this from my understanding, and they seem to be more intelligent and understanding of their environment than most would give credit for. A highly intelligent "plant" like life form could be there.

A planet 22x the size of Jupiter in what way? Because our sun is less than 10x Jupiter in diameter.

I can't imagine a cluster of 22 Jupiter-sized objects would be a cluster for very long.

In girth of course. :p I'm just spitballing and having fun here, don't take me seriously.

But we know so little about the universe that I think assuming it could be something we'd not expect is the most likely scenario.

Red

Plants do this from my understanding, and they seem to be more intelligent and understanding of their environment than most would give credit for. A highly intelligent "plant" like life form could be there.
I don't think there is any indication that a plant "understands" anything. They react to stimulus, but they do not perceive. If you push a rock from the top of a hill and it rolls down, it has reacted to you, but it does not know it is rolling–at least not in the sense that animals "know" things.

It's hard to imagine what an "intelligent plant" would be like. What kind of competitive advantage would intelligence bestow on a plant? Surely such a creature would be very different from the plants we have on earth. It would presumably have developed the ability to move, and would exist in an environment where it would benefit from cunning. So it may be unfair to call such a creature "a plant," which implies it is rooted to one place.

Log4Girlz

I don't think there is any indication that a plant "understands" anything. They react to stimulus, but they do not perceive. If you push a rock from the top of a hill and it rolls down, it has reacted to you, but it does not know it is rolling–at least not in the sense that animals "know" things.

It's hard to imagine what an "intelligent plant" would be like. What kind of competitive advantage would intelligence bestow on a plant? Surely such a creature would be very different from the plants we have on earth. It would presumably have developed the ability to move, and would exist in an environment where it would benefit from cunning. So it may be unfair to call such a creature "a plant," which implies it is rooted to one place.

We know so little about the universe. Maybe .00000001 percent at best. Maybe plants are manipulating reality using pure willpower.

KIC 8462852

What a name.

Could it not be a large planet orbiting it? Or several large planets if the pattern is frequent.

Is frequent AND rhythmical, so they are thinking of a structure. They also dismiss planets because the light dimming is stronger than the one a planet would provoke, it has to be induced by nearer objects to the star.

FyreWulff

I have a different question.

Could there be intelligent beings for whom sense of time-scale is different. For example for ant's perception of 1 second is different compared to us humans.

If we take this analogy further, there could be intelligent beings who could live for thousand/millions of years and for whom 1 second (instant) is like our 1 year?

If we ever meet such beings, it would be a interesting event.

Also about this star, I saw someone mentioning about some species using it as a message broadcaster (beacon). I find it interesting. Radio waves lose their energy as they propagated further, plus they have to be very focused. On the other hand light from a star propagates through all directions, forever. What do you think about such a proposition?

At the physics level, it's possible for two entities to have a different perception of time. Someone traveling up near light speed can have decades and millienia pass back here on earth while they only (and can confirm with a clock) that only a day or two has passed for them.

At a biological level, an organism can have a different recall of time of time based on how they mentally store and retrieve information. For instance, when you're given a drug during sedation to turn off your memory, your brain turns off it's recorder. And since it forms no memories, a multiple hour operation passes by in minutes from your perception.

In theory, an organism could over-record and take a long time to process their information, so yes, a second could last a year - but it'd be more like lag from their view than an actual change in time itself. And it's unlikely for organisms to evolve like this since they'd become food for anything faster.

But what if it's a planet more than 22 times the size of Jupiter? Or over 22 Jupiter-sized planets in a cluster?

It's not a planet because we know it's not spherical. Planets have a very clearly defined light curve. With this there is a very unusual light curve which doesn't match anything observed before.

Unai

scan0031.0.jpg

So are they actually going to setup new equipment to better study this?

One of the SETI scientists working on this project says if a resolution isn't made within the next year, then he expects to see dedicated missions and perhaps a dedicated telescope just to observe it.

As for a planet with the mass of 22 Jupiters, I'm pretty sure the matter would collapse into a star itself.

gutshot

So are they actually going to setup new equipment to better study this?

They have plenty of existing equipment they can use to study the system, which is what they are doing now. If those observations still don't solve the mystery, they may try to setup new equipment for further observation.

ibyea

Banned

It can't be a planet over 22 times the size of Jupiter. An object will remain the size of Jupiter and even shrink once past Jupiter mass because of degeneracy. Once the object achieves around 100 Jupiter mass, the core will ignite and start nuclear fusion, and size starts increasing again when mass increases. At that point it's a star though and shines its own light.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One of the SETI scientists working on this project says if a resolution isn't made within the next year, then he expects to see dedicated missions and perhaps a dedicated telescope just to observe it.

As for a planet with the mass of 22 Jupiters, I'm pretty sure the matter would collapse into a star itself.

Why collapse? Isn't it just that there is so much mass that the rotation's friction cause it to heat up to a point where all matter burns, turning the planet into a flaming ball and hence a new star?

Unai

It can't be a planet over 22 times the size of Jupiter. An object will remain the size of Jupiter and even shrink once past Jupiter mass because of degeneracy. Once the object achieves around 100 Jupiter mass, the core will ignite and start nuclear fusion, and size starts increasing again when mass increases. At that point it's a star though and shines its own light.

I've tried that in the "Universe Sandbox" and it was exactly what happend. Pretty amazing software.

Why collapse? Isn't it just that there is so much mass that the rotation's friction cause it to heat up to a point where all matter burns, turning the planet into a flaming ball and hence a new star?

ibyea did a good job explaining it.

Just to further the point, It's not friction that causes it, it's gravity. If enough matter is putting pressure on the core, it'll cause some atoms to actually fuse together releasing an enormous amount of energy. A star isn't so much a fireball as it is a release of nuclear energy over the course of a few million years to potentially trillions of years depending on the type of star.

So, if its a big triangle surrounded by lots of little triangles, (which is what it seems to be), what is it? They have ruled out gas and dust because of no infrared light. Anyone care to weigh in?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Where do you guys get multiple triangles from? It's one triangle, and even that definition is an abstraction from the way the light was dimmed over time.

raphier

Banned
Where do you guys get multiple triangles from? It's one triangle, and even that definition is an abstraction from the way the light was dimmed over time.

meteorite shower

How in the hell would a series of triangles/pyramid shapes even form? Any natural way for it to happen, however unlikely?

grass, rocks, petals, lce, lilies, crystals and minerals, H2O, gold and fluoride out of top of my head.

Can someone please explain in depth where the idea of it being a bunch of triangles comes from?
It was from the link in this post:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=183749909

Dunno how familiar you are with deep space analysis, but most of it is done via spectography and light analysis -- which is obviously how they found that this star was being weirdly blocked by something not corresponding to its age.

The way that some of these dimming events happen can be modeled by a triangular shape passing in front of the star. That doesn't mean that it is a triangle, but that that's one geometrical shape that can produce the spectograph results they found.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
It was from the link in this post:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=183749909

Dunno how familiar you are with deep space analysis, but most of it is done via spectography and light analysis -- which is obviously how they found that this star was being weirdly blocked by something not corresponding to its age.

The way that some of these dimming events happen can be modeled by a triangular shape passing in front of the star. That doesn't mean that it is a triangle, but that that's one geometrical shape that can produce the spectograph results they found.

Can it be modeled by a sphere passing by? Can it be modeled by comets passing by?

Can it be modeled by a sphere passing by? Can it be modeled by comets passing by?

It's distinctly non-spherical going by the light curve that's been measured. There isn't any natural phenomenon that we've seen before which would cause the measurements we are seeing.

From the interview with Dr. Andrew Siemion from SETI:
Dr. Tabetha Boyajian who wrote the paper about this object spent quite a lot of time herself trying to model it. The short answer is that these are very, very difficult light curves to model with natural objects. The difficulty in modeling what we see with this star with natural objects is what has led us to consider, even more strongly, the possibility that what we are seeing here is due to something artificial.

Quazar

It's distinctly non-spherical going by the light curve that's been measured. There isn't any natural phenomenon that we've seen before which would cause the measurements we are seeing.

From the interview with Dr. Andrew Siemion from SETI:

Those words are striking!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Those words are striking!

They are, for a scientist. I wish they wouldn't be so conservative and just state that it can not be modeled by anything observed previously. If that means it must be artificial, why beat around the bush? If I recall, the research paper didn't even mention artificial as a possibile explanation. If it's the most likely explanation just say so.

HTupolev

Imagine that a very long and narrow triangle like this began to move in front of a star:
XWRogOX.png

At first, the tip wouldn't cover the star much, but as the wider portions moved in, the star would slowly appear dimmer and dimmer. Then. as the back of the triangle moved across the star, it would quickly go back to full brightness.

A sphere wouldn't do this; the rate at which the star got brighter at the end would mirror the rate at which it had gotten darker at the beginning.

This is literally all they're saying when they say it's behaving like a triangle. No arcane astronomy sciencemagic involved.

Could it be explained by objects like comets? Sure, if said objects began passing in front of the star in a drizzle, increasing slowly to a downpour, and then cutting off. A cloud of comets of triangular density, if you will. The problem is, why would a cloud of stuff have triangular density?

akira28

NASA is working on EM Drive. SETI is finding artificial structures in space.

Z8hbhna.gif

EM Drive to get out into deep space. Albecurrie Drive to get there. Artificial structure as our destination, spray on condoms and antibiotics and a holographic doctor just in case.

aaaaa0

They are, for a scientist. I wish they wouldn't be so conservative and just state that it can not be modeled by anything observed previously. If that means it must be artificial, why beat around the bush? If I recall, the research paper didn't even mention artificial as a possibile explanation. If it's the most likely explanation just say so.

Because science doesn't work like that.

When faced with something completely unexpected, you must be extra careful not to be fooled by your own biases and errors. If this means you have to work hard to rule out every other possibility first, then you have to do that.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
-- Carl Sagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom