• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Delayed Into 2005 (IGNCube)

Sho Nuff

Banned
As long as they make it -better- I'm down with it.

When a game comes out, nobody cares how long it took to make. They care how fun it is.

(Well, maybe some GAFfers do...)

I seriously don't understand why Nintendo doesn't really choose to pursue the starfox 64 mode of gameplay that they know they can make and make flawlessly. Its great that the franchise has gone in a different direction but how hard is it for them to get their own team together to make Star Fox cube. And one that kicks major ass. A REAL SF game without all these off shoots diluting the gameplay (both SFA and this one will feature flight action and make new gamers think bleh).

As it stands the franchises has lost a lot of its cred (again.. due to the horrific SFA). Fingers crossed that this will be halfway decent. I'm with Eric CGA - I will wait to see if the game gets get impressions/reviews.

border said:
Some might question the wisdom of banking the whole season on a title that underperformed two years ago, though...

Well I think I think more people questioned the wisdom of launching Metroid and Resident Evil on top of one another in the first place. But really, talking about it like a bomb is kind of a stretch. There are like 5 GC games that have performed better (only like 2 or 3 on the Xbox), and Metroid is within a couple hundred thousand of most of them.

As far as the U.S. is concerned, the only other Nintnedo titles that would make more sense to bank on for Christmas would predictably be Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros., or a new Mario platformer.

Spike

Nintendo's sales will be fine. Unlike the other two competitors, they also have the GBA to fall back on for sales.

Jst off the top of my head for:

GC:

Metroid Prime: Echoes
Donkey Konga
Pikmin 2
Paper Mario
NFS:U2
Tony Hawk Underground 2
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Prince of Persia 2
Baten Kaitos
Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Second Sight
TMNT 2

GBA:

Pokemon Red/Green
DKC2
F-Zero Legend
Megaman Collection
Astroboy
Kirby
Metal Slug Advance
Mario Pinball
Boktai 2

- Nintendo DS and lineup

Spike said:
GC:

Metroid Prime: Echoes
Donkey Konga
Pikmin 2
Paper Mario
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Prince of Persia 2
Baten Kaitos

GBA:
F-Zero Legend
Megaman Collection
Astroboy
Kirby
Metal Slug Advance
Mario Pinball
Boktai 2

- Nintendo DS and lineup

buying the above.

lordmrw

Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, I hope the single player mode isn't some tacked-on BS.

It would be a damn shame if it was. Cuz if they spent two years plus to make a multiplayer focused game with a half assed single player mode, then that is just sad.

cvxfreak

I think people are underestimating Star Fox's sales potential. Star Fox Adventures, despite being touted as generally mediocre, has sold 750,000 copies after being Player's Choice and by the end of this generation I expect it to be at or near 1 Million copies. And Star Fox 64 sold about 2.5 Million copies between the Rumble Pak and Rumble Pak-less releases. It definitely would have helped out Nintendo this generation, but I personally take the quality over the sales.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i hope they've delayed it in order to excise the awful Third Person Furry segments and turn it into a proper rail shooter. the starfox franchise has gone steadily downhill since the brilliant original. i have a feeling this game could make nintendo fans nostalgic for rare's brand of butchery.

oh, incidentally: 2005 - YEAR OF THE GAMECUBE

border

FitzOfRage said:
Well I think I think more people questioned the wisdom of launching Metroid and Resident Evil on top of one another in the first place.
Except that the Resident Evil delay was not Nintendo's decision. As publisher of Starfox, they probably have a good deal of control over when the game comes out. I doubt that Capcom is pushing back their game just to foster Nintendo's "Let's not release too many good games at once" strategy. More than anyone else, they know the problems associated with trying to launch a high-profile project in the January/February dead months.....Devil May Cry 2 and Maximo both took it on the chin because they hit shelves during a slow period.

If Nintendo is pushing back Starfox because they are worried about splintering sales, I think that's a fairly stupid decision. If the game truly isn't anywhere near finished and can't conceivably be released by Christmas, then it's just mismangement by Namco and/or an unfortunate circumstance. If the multiplayer experience really is awesome, they are really missing the chance to catch some of the momentum that Halo got because of its multiplayer modes. In Q1 2005, they will be facing the same slow market that turned its nose up at Twin Snakes and Crystal Chronicles.

Ranger X

Maybe they delay the game in order to have time to give us a TRUE hot one player mode that would kill Starfox64??

Oh well, i wish that those big games that are for 2005 will sell well. It's good for us actually. For the market to grow we have to prove that a game can sell out of holiday time.
If the market grow it's an opening for more games, more ideas and then more good times for us.

Whua whua whua, did anyone honestly expect this game out this christmas?? Does the fact we've had nothing on previews, no new media released for the past year other than the E3 coverage tell you anything? Hmm..

Alex

Pikmin 2 sounds so good after scouring over the previews. This is the kinda sequel I wanna see Nintendo doing.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I was hoping for this game to be delayed along with Geist, cause both of them didn't look like they would be products ready for release in the Fall when I played them at E3.

I'm more dissapointed from IGN's wording that Namco is making a "multiplayer focused game with a single player mode". It will reflect badly on Namco if all this development time has been used to make only a sub-par MP mode as the highlight of the game.

Wait. We keep hearing about Mario Party 6 but I haven't seen a goddamn thing as far as screens or info. What gives? There is no way we can expect this game to actually arrive this year.

jarrod

Banned
With both Geist and StarFox now delayed, I wonder if NOA will push up the localizations of Mario Tennis and Mario Party 6? They could also dig into their back catalogue for a few releases (Puzzle Collection, Doshin, Giftpia, etc) or pick up a 3rd party game (Naruto, Home Land, etc)... Donkey Konga, Paper Mario 2 and Prime 2 simply isn't enough for the holidays.

Memles

evilromero said:
Wait. We keep hearing about Mario Party 6 but I haven't seen a goddamn thing as far as screens or info. What gives? There is no way we can expect this game to actually arrive this year.

It's a confirmed Japanese 2004 release, and there's no media there either...so it could still happen.

jarrod said:
With both Geist and StarFox now delayed, I wonder if NOA will push up the localizations of Mario Tennis and Mario Party 6? They could also dig into their back catalogue for a few releases (Puzzle Collection, Doshin, Giftpia, etc) or pick up a 3rd party game (Naruto, Home Land, etc)... Donkey Konga, Paper Mario 2 and Prime 2 simply isn't enough for the holidays.

Puzzle Collection with Transfer to GBA and subsequent Wireless Single-System multiplayer...is it even possible (I'm just spitballing)? On the whole, it seems as if a pickup or two would make a lot of sense in simply padding the lineup. I'd expect, at the very least, MP6 to launch in December, and maybe to fill in a gap or two Puzzle Collection and Doshin...Giftpia might be too obscure, although they might be able to promote it as if it is similar to Animal Crossing and get some mileage out of it.

But, I think it's wishful thinking...Nintendo is likely focusing on DS Launch and hope the Nintendo press carries over to GameCube.

"Nintendo releases new Handheld" may be the titles of news reports, but perhaps they might also mention the GameCube lineup.

I'm glad Starfox isn't going to be a rail shooter. How old is the rail shooter Genre anyway? At least 20 years old. The only reason they made rail shooters is because a free flight game was beyond their means. Rail shooters can die a terrible death as far as I am concerned.

Starfox on Cube is trying to be a Battlefield 1942 and I'm all for that.

AniHawk

border said:
Except that the Resident Evil delay was not Nintendo's decision. As publisher of Starfox, they probably have a good deal of control over when the game comes out. I doubt that Capcom is pushing back their game just to foster Nintendo's "Let's not release too many good games at once" strategy. More than anyone else, they know the problems associated with trying to launch a high-profile project in the January/February dead months.....Devil May Cry 2 and Maximo both took it on the chin because they hit shelves during a slow period.

If Nintendo is pushing back Starfox because they are worried about splintering sales, I think that's a fairly stupid decision. If the game truly isn't anywhere near finished and can't conceivably be released by Christmas, then it's just mismangement by Namco and/or an unfortunate circumstance. If the multiplayer experience really is awesome, they are really missing the chance to catch some of the momentum that Halo got because of its multiplayer modes. In Q1 2005, they will be facing the same slow market that turned its nose up at Twin Snakes and Crystal Chronicles.

Wow, so 340,000 in sales is bad now?

Memles

AniHawk said:
Wow, so 340,000 in sales is bad now?

Ooooh...I know how this goes!

Next Post - For a Final Fantasy Title, it is!

Next Post - Oh come on, it's an offshoot ARPG with only the name, you expect millions?

It's like predicting the future.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Wow, 500,000 is not bad at all for such a late N64 release (it came out February 2001 IIRC, just a month before Conker). I hope the sequel will enjoy similar, if not more success, cause it sounds like it deserves it from the impressions I've read here from those who've gotten it in Japan.

AniHawk

Memles said:
Ooooh...I know how this goes!

Next Post - For a Final Fantasy Title, it is!

Next Post - Oh come on, it's an offshoot ARPG with only the name, you expect millions?

It's like predicting the future.

Well he mentioned FFCC in the same breath as TTS... I think I read somewhere on OldGAF that Square Enix said there were high sales from the game in their yearly/quarterly statements. FFCC was by no means, by no stretch of the imagination, a failure.

Whua whua whua, did anyone honestly expect this game out this christmas?? Does the fact we've had nothing on previews, no new media released for the past year other than the E3 coverage tell you anything? Hmm..
You heard it here first! Halo 2 delayed.

NWO

but has instead been quietly repositioned for a 2005 release, allege insiders.

Who IGN Insiders?

If they KNOW for a fact then say it. Or is this another its going to happen but it doesn't. *cough* Rebel X *cough*

We contacted Nintendo of America for comment and received the standard response. "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation," a spokesperson said.

I thought this was a Namco game.....

IGN will have much more on the game in the coming months.

Is that going to be like their INTENSE coverage of what SK was going to do after they left Nintendo? That was only a couple months ago and we haven't heard a peep from IGN about it. I thought Matt and Denis were "buddies".

jarrod

Banned
I dunno, IGN has some pretty good sources with Namco Japan. I wouldn't hesitate to belive a StarFox delay either... Nintendo should soften these delays with Mario Tennis in Nov/Dec along with budget priced Doshin & Puzzle Collection imo. :)

ge-man

Warm Machine said:
I'm glad Starfox isn't going to be a rail shooter. How old is the rail shooter Genre anyway? At least 20 years old. The only reason they made rail shooters is because a free flight game was beyond their means. Rail shooters can die a terrible death as far as I am concerned.

Starfox on Cube is trying to be a Battlefield 1942 and I'm all for that.

I absolutely disagree mainly because of the state in which the multiplayer seems to be in. As long as it's broken, a solid single player rail shooter would be infintely better.

I do hope that Nintendo plans to bump up some other games if possible.

NWO

Matt said:
Where did you get that idea?

Namco is just the developer.

Yeah I know. So I thought it would be up to Namco to decide if it gets delayed or not. Not Nintendo. So shouldn't they have contacted Namco instead of Nintendo if this was the case?

SantaCruZer said:
Umm Namco make starfox now. I don't think it's nintendos fault you know.

I'm not the only person who thought that Namco delaying it was up to them and not Nintendo....

Matt

NWO said:
Yeah I know. So I thought it would be up to Namco to decide if it gets delayed or not. Not Nintendo. So shouldn't they have contacted Namco instead of Nintendo if this was the case?

I'm not the only person who thought that Namco delaying it was up to them and not Nintendo....
Delaying the game is certainly up to Nintendo, as they own the project. It’s not like Namco can say “We don’t want to release it yet,” and Nintendo just has to suck it up.

Besides, IGN contacted Nintendo of America. It’s not like Namco Hometek would know anything about the game.

ge-man

Matt said:
Delaying the game is certainly up to Nintendo, as they own the project. It?s not like Namco can say ?We don?t want to release it yet,? and Nintendo just has to suck it up.

Besides, IGN contacted Nintendo of America. It?s not like Namco Hometek would know anything about the game.

It's up to Nintendo, but responiblity is still largely in Namco's hands if the game isn't ready for retail.

Matt

ge-man said:
It's up to Nintendo, but responiblity is still largely in Namco's hands if the game isn't ready for retail.
That’s not really the point. NoA would know just as well as Namco (if not better) if the game was coming out this year.

Memles

AniHawk said:
Well he mentioned FFCC in the same breath as TTS... I think I read somewhere on OldGAF that Square Enix said there were high sales from the game in their yearly/quarterly statements. FFCC was by no means, by no stretch of the imagination, a failure.

I couldn't agree more, but I was expecting someone to fly back with "But it's an FF title, it should sell millions"...alas.

border said:

I wasn't clear enough. Since you brought up Metroid's performance 2 years ago, I was talking about Metroid Prime and Resident Evil Zero. Metroid did fine, even though launching on top of RE0 probably wasn't the best move to maximize sales of both games. So even though they probably could have done more to push Metroid Prime even further, I definitely don't see it as unwise banking on MP2 this year.

As far as that slow period - well first off DMC 2's release date was the least of its problems. Capcom rushed out a sub par follow up to the first game. But of course Capcom first launched RE1, RE2, Code Veronica, Onimusha, and REmake around that time. So you're right that Capcom possibly knows more about launching in that time period than anyone else.

Tenguman

Get rid of the ground missions. Replace them with air missions. Beef up the air missions and graphics. Do this and Starfox = get.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I loved Star Fox 64. Absolutely loved it. Of all the N64 games I had, I most wanted a sequel to Star Fox, and specifically for a next-gen system. I had thought that adding foot missions would have been awesome, especially using an engine like Jet Force Gemini. Like in some of the levels you'd blast away the air support and then land at the base. In SF64, that'd be a brief cutscene. In my dream, you'd take over and have to fight your way through the base and it'd be cool. Stuff like that.

Unfortunately, this game is doing nothing for me. The flight missions just look weird to me. They don't remind me of Star Fox 64 much at all. I'm not really sure why, but they don't make me nostalgic at all. The ground missions just look like mindless shooting sprees, pretty much the last thing I want in this game.

I guess I don't mind a delay, since I'm not really anticipating the game and I can only hope that it gets better with the added time. Still, I don't really care for how it's shaping up.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Let's see what exclusive titles Nintendo had going into last holiday season.

1080: Avalanche=December
MKDD: =November
Veiwtiful Joe=October

MKDD was the second best-seller next only to the cross-platform NFS:Underground. This lineup is substantially weaker than this year's.

border

AniHawk said:
FFCC was by no means, by no stretch of the imagination, a failure.
I didn't think (much less say) that Crystal Chronicles was a failure. But it obviously would have done a good deal better in the Christmas season. People can bicker all day as to whether or not it should have sold better by virtue of its brand, but it certainly didn't help to sell systems......which was more or less the purpose of trying to use the GBA to strongarm developers into making GC exclusives.
As far as that slow period - well first off DMC 2's release date was the least of its problems. Capcom rushed out a sub par follow up to the first game.
I really don't think it has too much to do with it. Atari has more or less spent this generation proving that you can force a game to have great sales if you have a heavy marketing push. DMC2 would have done much better in the summer, even if it were the same piece of crap that got released in January.

Mrbob

From the article:

Star Fox is a multiplayer focused title, though a single-player mode is also featured.

Muiltiplayer focused? Offline too you know it with Nintendos anti online stance. This game will be lame. I want huge space battle based single player campaign. Why the heck do developers think they have to fuck with premise of games to give it some sort of lame hook "OHH LOOKEE WE HAVE A MULTIPLAYER FOCUSED STARFOX IT WILL BE DIFFERENT THAN PREVIOUS ONES.", bleh.

Teddman

Li Mu Bai said:
MKDD was the second best-seller next only to the cross-platform NFS:Underground. This lineup is substantially weaker than this year's.
So your point is... This year's lineup is bad, but last year's was worse?

The key difference is that both PS2 and Xbox have huge, huge marquee titles this year and they didn't last year. So your point is moot because the GameCube will probably have less of a slice of Xmas sales in relation to the competition, compared to last holiday.

In short, they will lose more ground this Xmas to PS2/Xbox than they did last year.

Alcibiades

Teddman said:
So your point is... This year's lineup is bad, but last year's was worse?

The key difference is that both PS2 and Xbox have huge, huge marquee titles this year and they didn't last year. So your point is moot because the GameCube will probably have less of a slice of Xmas sales in relation to the competition, compared to last holiday.

In short, they will lose more ground this Xmas to PS2/Xbox than they did last year.

While the bundle doesn't seem to be helping move Cubes all that much, I say wait till Pikmin 2 is released to fully get the idea of how Gamecube's lineup will perform...

Mrbob

Pikmin 2 is a niche release at best. Looking at how Metroid Prime kind of fizzzled in sales after its first two months I'd argue that GC doesn't have one true big "system seller" this Xmas. Although Nintendo will do their best to make MP2 that title.

Top Bottom