• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Delayed Into 2005 (IGNCube)

border

Pinning all these hopes on games like Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario just seems absurd to me. The people that want those games bought a Cube 2 years ago. Metroid still has appeal outside the current userbase, given how many people are still being turned on to first-person titles by Halo.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Teddman said:
So your point is... This year's lineup is bad, but last year's was worse?

The key difference is that both PS2 and Xbox have huge, huge marquee titles this year and they didn't last year. So your point is moot because the GameCube will probably have less of a slice of Xmas sales in relation to the competition, compared to last holiday.

In short, they will lose more ground this Xmas to PS2/Xbox than they did last year.

You would've said this regarding last year's Nintendo holiday lineup as well, Teddman.

Teddman

Li Mu Bai said:
You would've said this regarding last year's Nintendo holiday lineup as well, Teddman.
Whatever, the point was last year both Xbox and PS2 didn't have big exclusive titles either, so it didn't matter that GameCube only had Mario Kart--a top peformer.

But they do this year, and in GameCube's corner, Metroid Prime will NOT equal Mario Kart: DD sales. Again, how are you figuring that this is a stronger, more competitive holiday season for the GameCube than 2003?

This year's GameCube Xmas lineup is their weakest yet.

Alcibiades

Li Mu Bai said:

I'm not so sure, PGR2, Crimson Skies, and Counter-Strike pretty much disappointed and weren't generating the mainstream hype that Mario Kart was generating. Thing is, the PS2 did have FFX-2, and FFX had already done like 2 million, so it was still a big title considering the increased userbase in FFX

That said, I think Halo 2 and San Adreas are pretty much going to own this Christmas, the only solace is Pikmin 2 has a head start on the holiday season to at least stand out (although Fable is out 2 weeks after)...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
border said:
Pinning all these hopes on games like Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario just seems absurd to me. The people that want those games bought a Cube 2 years ago. Metroid still has appeal outside the current userbase, given how many people are still being turned on to first-person titles by Halo.

MP: Echoes is not the same type of game as Halo 2. It has generated a much stronger fanbase following since it's predecessor was released. (not as strong as Halo's of course) Pikmin 2 & MP2 will both sell very well. Have you ever heard of multiple purchases btw? Or is everyone still going to buy solely Halo 2 & ignore everything else?

border

Geez, I guess it will sound horribly slanted, but....do you really think that Pikmin's head start means anything? This industry is unhealthily obsessed with "The New" and the only thing an August/September launch guarantees is that the game will be a non-factor in the holiday sales season. I am not so sure that even Fable will make much of a difference for Xbox. KOTOR saw a late summer release last year, and while it continued to prosper over Christmas I don't believe it really helped move Xboxes off of shelves.

After two months, a game has pretty much blown its load, unless it ignites an exceptionally large sensation (as was the case with GTA and Halo). Game releases are becoming as "front-loaded" as Hollywood movies.
Have you ever heard of multiple purchases btw?
I'm not really talking about software sales alone, but the synergy between software and hardware. I don't think that Pikmin and Paper Mario are going to motivate consumers to buy Cubes. Metroid is the only big title with mainstream appeal, which is why I have characterized it as being the title that Nintendo is banking on this holiday season.

Shoryuken

Teddman said:
Whatever, the point was last year both Xbox and PS2 didn't have big exclusive titles either, so it didn't matter that GameCube only had Mario Kart--a top peformer.

But they do this year, and in GameCube's corner, Metroid Prime will NOT equal Mario Kart: DD sales. Again, how are you figuring that this is a stronger, more competitive holiday season for the GameCube than 2003?

How is Metroid Prime 2 not a big game? It's outsold all but 3 Xbox games in the US. And about Metroid Prime 2 not reaching MK: DD sales well..........no shit. No Xbox game besides Halo has sold more and in 10 months its already become the 18th best selling game this generation (PS2,Xbox, GC).

Also, I don't see why the GC shouldn't perform decently this fall (although it'll sell less than both Xbox and PS2). If this generation has shown us anything, people will buy a system during the holidays as long as they think they're getting a deal (Xbox bundles, $99 cube and bundles). With the Metroid bundle and the release of MP2 and PM2 the cube should do fine.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
border said:
Geez, I guess it will sound horribly slanted, but....do you really think that Pikmin's head start means anything? This industry is unhealthily obsessed with "The New" and the only thing an August/September launch guarantees is that the game will be a non-factor in the holiday sales season. I am not so sure that even Fable will make much of a difference for Xbox. KOTOR saw a late summer release last year, and while it continued to prosper over Christmas I don't believe it really helped move Xboxes off of shelves.

After two months, a game has pretty much blown its load, unless it ignites an exceptionally large sensation (as was the case with GTA and Halo). Game releases are becoming as "front-loaded" as Hollywood movies.I'm not really talking about software sales alone, but the synergy between software and hardware. I don't think that Pikmin and Paper Mario are going to motivate consumers to buy Cubes. Metroid is the only big title with mainstream appeal, which is why I have characterized it as being the title that Nintendo is banking on this holiday season.

I'm not saying that those titles will, I simply stated that MP2 & Pikmin 2 will sell very well. (to the already installed userbase primarily) Also that Echoes will definitely sell better than its predecessor, with or without Halo 2.

Alcibiades

border said:

After two months, a game has pretty much blown its load, unless it ignites an exceptionally large sensation (as was the case with GTA and Halo). Game releases are becoming as "front-loaded" as Hollywood movies.I'm not really talking about software sales alone, but the synergy between software and hardware. I don't think that Pikmin and Paper Mario are going to motivate consumers to buy Cubes. Metroid is the only big title with mainstream appeal, which is why I have characterized it as being the title that Nintendo is banking on this holiday season.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Shoryuken

Teddman said:
It's not a big game next to Halo 2 or GTA: San Andreas. END OF STORY.

That's fucking stupid. First of all Halo has sold almost 3 million less the GTA:VC (PS2), so by your standards how are they in the same league (sales wise)? Secondly despite your rather convincing arguement Metroid Prime 2 is still a big game whether you like it or not. Based on your defenition of a "big game" Xbox hasn't had one since 2002 and that hasn't stopped it from selling so I think the bundled GC with it's "little game" MP2 (whose predecessor outsold all but 3 xbox games) and PM2, along with other smaller games, should do just fine this holiday.

Teddman

Shoryuken said:
And about Metroid Prime 2 not reaching MK: DD sales well..........no shit.

Also, I don't see why the GC shouldn't perform decently this fall (although it'll sell less than both Xbox and PS2).
Save the hot air, you're basically agreeing with my key point right there.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Shoryuken said:
That's fucking stupid. First of all Halo has sold almost 3 million less the GTA:VC (PS2), so by your standards how are they in the same league (sales wise)? Secondly despite your rather convincing arguement Metroid Prime 2 is still a big game whether you like it or not. Based on your defenition of a "big game" Xbox hasn't had one since 2002 and that hasn't stopped it from selling so I think the bundled GC with it's "little game" MP2 (whose predecessor outsold all but 3 xbox games) and PM2, along with other smaller games, should do just fine this holiday.

I agree Shoryuken. Echoes will still sell over a million+ copies, something that Ninja Gaiden, Escape from Butcher Bay, CS, KOTOR, PGR2, etc. all failed to do.

hmmmm...

Given previous sales trends on these franchises; I'm almost tempted to wager that GTA:SA will outsell the COMBINED totals of Halo 2 and Metroid Prime 2.

Edit: just an observation.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
MP2 will sell to core Nintendo fanbase,first one failed to ignite sales,second wont do much better.
PM2? Great game,but i cant see people running out and buying GC for an RPG with Mario.
Pikmin 2? See MP2
Baten Kaitos-good game,200-300K sales in best case.

So,Donkey Konga and Prime Bundle are the only things that could significantly attract new hardware buyers (I doubt either Mario Tennis or Mario Party 6 make it to US this year) to GC this year,we will see how good are they at it.

And btw,Mario Kart:DD is a sequel to game that sold 4.8 Mio copies,i dont think its a good idea to compare it to MP

Grubdog

Banned
Teddman said:

Mario Tennis? Mario Party 6? I think they'll be huge.

Why don't you wait and see before dismissing this years lineup as the "weakest yet"? Nintendo could have a few tricks up their sleeve.

why has this tread devolved into a discussion about MP's selling prowess? Of course it will sell at least one million.

That's really all needs to be said.

Li Mu Bai said:
I agree Shoryuken. Echoes will still sell over a million+ copies, something that Ninja Gaiden, Escape from Butcher Bay, CS, KOTOR, PGR2, etc. all failed to do.

I think what they talk about with big are games that are going to break a million this year. The "big" games this year will do that.

Timbuktu

All I see is that Halo 2, GTA:SA and MP2 will all be pretty huge, why do we really care about the astronomical figures these big guns will pull in? I mean, what will this holiday season sales battle really affect? This gen is pretty much decided, MS and Sony will still be here and Nintendo will, in all probability, survive into next-gen. Meanwhile, the small boys will be dying left, right, and centre.

Wait, Geist was delayed?

You know what. This Christmas sucks ass for GC. Baiten Kaitos is the only 3rd party exclusive worth anything at all. Last year there was Viewtiful Joe, and... Well nevermind. This still sucks though.

Prine

Banned
What did MP sell alst Xmas? 700k??

If i remeber correctly, Nintendo gave away MP free with every purchase of GC at the beginning of 2003. Whats MP current situation? 1.3 mill

Prine said:
What did MP sell alst Xmas? 700k??

If i remeber correctly, Nintendo gave away MP free with every purchase of GC at the beginning of 2003. Whats MP current situation? 1.3 mill

1.1 million according to Shrine of Data.

Greekboy

Banned
I hope MP2 isn't rushed or comprised in any way in order to make up for recent GCN software delays. MP is the best next-gen game on any console IMO and I'd hate to be disappointed by MP2 if it feels rushed.

Not that it means anything, but the StarFox page at Camp Hyrule says it will still be released November 29, and when some of the Nintendo people were asked when it would come out, they said Novemeber 29.

Memles

Flaming Duck said:
Not that it means anything, but the StarFox page at Camp Hyrule says it will still be released November 29, and when some of the Nintendo people were asked when it would come out, they said Novemeber 29.

Yeah...I saw that too. I think this is even the first time we'se seen a concrete date for the game. Interesting of them to give a concrete date now, and not earlier, if they don't plan on getting it out before Christmas.

Mind you, I still wouldn't be shocked by a delay, but it's odd.

It's in the nature of this board to jump to conclusions, so it's good to remember that Star Fox hasn't been delayed yet. Officially it's still on for November 29, which definitely reeks of "placeholder" but is still the date.

What we can take from the IGN story is that we have it on decent authority that the game's development is headed for a delay.

Top Bottom