• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

Just started with this yesterday. Not terribly familiar with everything yet; mostly right now I'm grinding the first exploration quest as I familiarize myself with things and try to get a bit of energy under my belt. Procht of the U.S.S. Illucia if you see me around.

Medalion

Banned
I was subscribing with prepaid cards for several months at a time but my subscription long ran out and I can't find the prepaid cards anymo... I don't care enough about the game to risk putting my credit card info on the nets for my time... but if the game makes drastic improvements, I may wanna pop back in sometime.

Walshicus

I still play. Add E'Sel@Walshicus if you want. Might need to make it ESel@Walshicus to work.

Sector Space is getting a big revamp in Series 3 - currently on the Test shard - and it looks pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDu6mXngQo&hd=1

Game's definitely starting to shape up pretty nicely. Had money been an issue for me, I'd probably have regretted playing in the early days... but there's some great content released lately and in the near future that makes it a worthy proposition now.

Walshicus

I thought this screengrab from the forums was pretty cool;

NXVulcan.jpg

They added the NX class as a Tier 0 refit [i.e. an alternative to the starting ship you get].

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I like the look of the new Sector Space.

Can anyone who still plays say if it would be incredibly difficult to get back into the game starting from a low level?

Walshicus

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, I like the look of the new Sector Space.

Can anyone who still plays say if it would be incredibly difficult to get back into the game starting from a low level?
Should be fine. There's a tonne of new content to play through - both of the weekly episodes [level-agnostic], new daily missions and soon the Foundry mission generator tool will go live [along with a revamp of the mission selection system]. They're opening up a new sector block for the Klingons too, so it should be viable to play them from start to lvl 51.

markatisu

My 1 month just ran out, due to finances I have to take some time off but I liked what I played.

Got to Lt 8 (I think) and that was just by playing a few hours here and there, glad I waited till the game was out for a while as I could have easily put in another 2-3 months if Christmas were not coming up.

Nishastra

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Should be fine. There's a tonne of new content to play through - both of the weekly episodes [level-agnostic], new daily missions and soon the Foundry mission generator tool will go live [along with a revamp of the mission selection system]. They're opening up a new sector block for the Klingons too, so it should be viable to play them from start to lvl 51.
Yeah, the two feature episode series and the daily missions that go with them are a godsend for low level characters. The Breen one can be started at level 10 and the Devidian one at level 6.

I always found the beginning of the game the most dull, and having those to do with their great level-scaling weapon rewards was a big help with my most recent character. Also they're just awesome missions, especially "What Lies Beneath".

BobLoblaw

Banned
I thinks it's time I got back into this game. Bought the lifetime sub and got bored like a month after the game released. Looks like they've added a lot. :D

Enterprise uniforms now available, The Motion Picture and All Good Things future uniforms coming soon... they've got to be running out of MAJOR ones to add. This can only mean we're getting closer and closer to the eventual addition of the skant.

star_trek_man_in_skant.jpg

Juice

I really want to join gaffleet. How do I make that happen? My nick is Juice, but I'm not sure that those are unique

Walshicus

Juice said:
I really want to join gaffleet. How do I make that happen? My nick is Juice, but I'm not sure that those are unique
Hmm, not sure who's admin of it these days. It might be that we need to start a new GAFfleet with maybe a lifetime member as the admin.

Hopefully whoever setup the fleet will see this bump of the thread and respond.

Looks like the Foundry [User Generated Content] will be making its way into public beta next week. I'm looking forward to working on a series of "A Final Unity" follow-up missions with the Garidians. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I was made an admin because I was lifetime, but I haven't logged in ages... what would I have to do to check? (Other than probably download a 5 gig patch. :lol)

Walshicus

firehawk12 said:
I think I was made an admin because I was lifetime, but I haven't logged in ages... what would I have to do to check? (Other than probably download a 5 gig patch. :lol)
Hmm, well if you log in and go to the Fleet page [within the communications bit] it should tell you your rank within the fleet. You might then be able to send an invite to Juice's character.

Juice, you'll need to give us your full character name; for example my Fed character is E'Sel@Walshicus.

Walshicus

firehawk12 said:
1.5 gig patch... god damn, I don't think I know how to play this game anymore. Is there a guide for all the new stuff?
Shouldn't be too bad - give a couple of the new episodes a try like the Breen series. ;)

Reminder that the big Season 3: Genesis update hits today. Plenty of changes though it seems the most noteworthy are a change in look of sector space, the ability to replay episodes, and big changes to crafting. I know the user-generated stuff was supposed to come, too, but at a quick glance through the release notes I didn't see information on how to go about that.

Walshicus

JoshuaJSlone said:
Reminder that the big Season 3: Genesis update hits today. Plenty of changes though it seems the most noteworthy are a change in look of sector space, the ability to replay episodes, and big changes to crafting. I know the user-generated stuff was supposed to come, too, but at a quick glance through the release notes I didn't see information on how to go about that.
User generated content is in testing [currently disabled] on the Tribble Test Server. Right now you can play UGC missions, just not create.

I've actually made a mission during the 48 hours or so it was active this week! Log on to Tribble and search for "The Law Giveth pt1" [just "The Law" will return the result. I've done the script work on a short series focusing on the Garidians of "Star Trek: A Final Unity" fame.

The tools are basic, and there's a fair amount missing... but the roadmap is robust. Linear missions are first, branching missions and class specific switches are in development.

Walshicus

Oh! Forgot to mention that sometime today Cryptic are going to announce the terms of a big competition that they and CBS are going to run. Fans are going to get the chance to design the Enterprise F, and have it considered "canon". The design will be incorporated into the game.

Should be an interesting way to promote the game!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finally logged in. I'm a "senior officer", so I don't know what that means for the fleet.

I kind of wish there was a way to relearn how to play without having to create a new character though. I have no idea what to do now. :lol

Are there any good guides on how to level now? I can't even remember what the stats do. :p

Walshicus

Hah, just go to your contacts list and see what's out there to do! Should have the two weekly mission series to run through, and a bunch of other missions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sir Fragula said:
Hah, just go to your contacts list and see what's out there to do! Should have the two weekly mission series to run through, and a bunch of other missions.

Is the leveling still the same in principle? You want to get to level 7 or so of each skill and then move on?

I figure all the combat and stuff is the same too?

I did notice that someone raided the guild bank. I think there were some credits in it the last time I checked. :lol

Awww, when you die there's an actual penalty now? That's no fun. :lol

Walshicus

firehawk12 said:
Is the leveling still the same in principle? You want to get to level 7 or so of each skill and then move on?

I figure all the combat and stuff is the same too?

I did notice that someone raided the guild bank. I think there were some credits in it the last time I checked. :lol

Awww, when you die there's an actual penalty now? That's no fun. :lol
Death penalty is optional for those choosing Advanced or Elite In the PvE difficulty slider. Skill progression is basically the same, as is combat.

I was a bit annoyed with the Fleet Bank, was saving up for a new tab when I noticed the credits went.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yup, I guess you can set the Permissions and all that, but oh well.

Playing a bit, I like the game, but it looks like no one is playing any more since I don't get thrown into random parties. There's also the fact that the space combat missions go on for far too long. They should be quick encounters, especially since the combat is so samey (at least at the Lt. Cdr level), but instead you have to go and kill 6 squadrons of the same enemies over and over again.

Maybe I just need to stick to the quest missions.

Oh, do all the respecs you get in the game stack? Apparently you get one for each level... and presumably I have three of them for being a life time "veteran"? I wouldn't mind just rebooting, but I also don't want to use up my free respec either. :lol

Effect

When I last played I only got thrown into parties on a few missions but that was when the population exploded one night and people were doing more then just the new episodes. Even when the game first game out I only got automatic parties a few times anyway unless I was doing fleet actions. It really does depend on the sector and time of day I think. At least now anyway.

Anyone have a screenshot of what the new sector space looks like. Might sign back up again over Christmas break to check out the new missions. Never finished up the second set of new episode missions after the Breen ones (really enjoy those).

gillty

Banned
Sector space was not what was wrong with this game, it was the mundane off ship missions and combat which were ripped straight out of CoX.

Effect

Sir Fragula said:

Great. Thanks :)

@Valru That really differs from person to person. Every MMO I've played offers mundane quest or missions to go on. All the same from game to game with slight spins due to their IPs. Even WoW which has revamped a lot of it's content in the end is filled with nothing but kill task and fetch quest. I never had a problem with the mission structure in STO. I was annoyed by controls in ground combat at times but overall I never had many complaints about the game.

Walshicus

Valru said:
Sector space was not what was wrong with this game, it was the mundane off ship missions and combat which were ripped straight out of CoX.
The newer missions added to the game have been much better structured. And of course most of the UGC missions are plot heavy (though the benefit of this depends on the player-author's writing skills...) by design.

The ratio of post to pre-release content is definitely shifting rapidly.

The girlfriend and I just picked up two copies of the collector's edition of this off of Amazon.

Anyone still playing? Is the game worth devoting a bunch of time to?

Sir Fragula said:
Yes! Though I don't know who has admin of it... and by active I mean, I still play.

That would be me. ;) Really need to get back into this, I decided to take a few months off to let the Developers "cook" it a bit more and iron out the bugs. Luckily I put everyone who told me that they bought a lifetime like I had to tell me and put them in a position to add new players. I'll log in sometime later this week, been wanting to get back into this game anyway. :)

So how is space handled? I love Eve Online but know this is much simpler game overall, but wondering what to expect from the naval aspects. Probably going to pick up the game from the Amazon sales for $2.50, see what it's about.

Walshicus

BattleMonkey said:
So how is space handled? I love Eve Online but know this is much simpler game overall, but wondering what to expect from the naval aspects. Probably going to pick up the game from the Amazon sales for $2.50, see what it's about.
Space is done in a hybrid of dog-fight and "tall ship" styles. You have three degress of movement; Z, pitch and yaw. Probably best to check out the video I linked to earlier for a demonstration of how it works!

Sir Fragula said:
Space is done in a hybrid of dog-fight and "tall ship" styles. You have three degress of movement; Z, pitch and yaw. Probably best to check out the video I linked to earlier for a demonstration of how it works!

Hmm will have to play to determine if I like. Eve is my go to space game which I still sub to, but the price can't be beat even if I don't go past the initial 30 days.

Top Bottom