• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

Medalion

Banned
Lifers may have subscribed for "life" but if they get pissed off enough they can still stop playing altogether if it's that unstable.

ButtaKnife

Neo Member
So, I recently switched my Recon build from phaser beams + 1 photon fore and aft to 3 phaser cannons fore, 2 phaser turrets aft, and 1 phaser beam aft. It's so awesome watching shields simply disappear, even though they're only single cannons.

LordAlu

So I'm at Captain 10 and just about to move on... is it Admiral or Rear Admiral next? Also I'm not sure but my Fleet list never shows anyone on except for Unox@Neckbeard, who has been online forever and is still a Lieutenant, yet the activity list shows some people still playing. Everyone just stopped? :(

JWong

Banned
LordAlu said:
So I'm at Captain 10 and just about to move on... is it Admiral or Rear Admiral next? Also I'm not sure but my Fleet list never shows anyone on except for Unox@Neckbeard, who has been online forever and is still a Lieutenant, yet the activity list shows some people still playing. Everyone just stopped? :(
I know I quit... end game is dead. Never felt powerful when I was RA either.

Bru

LordAlu said:

I'll be back on at some point. My LOTRO friends have been asking for help with their high level questing and raids. So my allotted gaming time has been spent in Middle-earth for the past few months.

I will eventually see you out there :)

JWong said:
I know I quit... end game is dead. Never felt powerful when I was RA either.

Agree, haven't played it for like 2 months even tho im a lifer, just don't have any kind of urge to go back and play it either. What a shame :(

Delio

Yeah once i hit RA and got my Big ship there just wasent enough at the end to keep me. It's to bad i was really into it and the fleet. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I'm a lifer but just haven't gotten on in a while - last thing I did was preload the 2 gig patch. There are just all these MMO things that I can't get over. But hopefully I'll drop in sometime in the future.

ButtaKnife

Neo Member
I'm still playing and PvPing, usually in the late evenings or on the weekend. If not for the PvP (which isn't that great), I'd have left by now, too.

I want to play this game (i own it, just don't pay monthly anymore) but the price per month really doesn't justify the game. Especially when I mostly play alone.

Walshicus

For those still playing [or interested in doing so] the Series 1.2 update was released yesterday. Basically introduces Achievements [with minor stat bonuses], Squadding [i.e. teaming with lower or higher level characters], and a tonne of new balance changes which *really* improve PvP.

This is all in advance of the Series 2 update which brings a new Klingon PvE mission set, a cross-faction mission set facing the Breen and the ship-interiors system that lets you walk through your ship.

syoaran

Guardian Bob said:
I want to play this game (i own it, just don't pay monthly anymore) but the price per month really doesn't justify the game. Especially when I mostly play alone.

This sadly, its just not worth the monthly price and for me personally, I doubt it will be any time soon before theres enough content for me to pay for a months admission. A shame really.

LordAlu

Aye, I'm afraid there was just nothing to keep me coming back. Maybe in a year or so once there's a lot more content, I might return, but until then my starship will remain docked at Earth.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I just fired up the game and have no idea how to play anymore. :lol

Is the GAF fleet still active or did everyone move on?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
syoaran said:
Was thinking about re-activating for a month too - but have no idea what the state of the game is haha

I spent money on a lifetime sub... but the samey nature of the missions bored me to tears. I have no idea what's going on any more though. I log in and pop, I got like a hundred messages telling me I completed various quests or whatnot.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just downloaded the demo for the heck of it. Finished it and liked what I played, but not enough for a monthly fee. I really dig Star Trek too.

Walshicus

I still play every now and then. It's actually not in too bad a state - there are some PvP queue changes that are long overdue, the new Klingon missions are fun and the weekly episodes start soon. It's pretty much in the position it should have been launched in...

Oh, Series 3 will have User Generated Content as its big feature so that could be pretty cool if implemented correctly.

glaurung

I played a bunch of it, but stopped once I realized just how pointless the whole endeavor was.

Space combat was slow and silly. Mass battles were fun, but playing through them ten times in a row grew old very quickly.

Away mission combat was - and still is - a complete joke and broken.

All that plus the fact that the game crashed over four times during one game play session... Yeah, better luck going free with micro-transactions.

But even then you cannot end up like EQ2Ex with the free players insanely gimped.

Best Free to play model is something like DDO did. Very open and not overly gimped. Lot of Trek stuff they can add to the game for pay transactions down the line like new races and stuff.

Walshicus

They started their weekly episodes yesterday and they're actually pretty good. Feds and Klingons both get to aid a new race the "Deferi", who are under attack by the Breen. The Breen themselves are quite tough to kill. They've also added a couple of new Breen ship design - a Frigate and Battlecruiser. Anyway, they did a much better job of the Deferi homeworld/social area:

Defera1.jpg

Defera2.jpg

Defera3.jpg

Again, this is the quality they should have had at launch... but still. Deferi series runs for five weeks, with a two week gap followed by the start of a new series.

Walshicus

kyo_daikun said:
Actually looks really good, might have to get back on, dread to think of how much patching I will have to do tho...
Yeah, probably a fair bit. Though they've slimmed down the process.

If you're wavering, wait a few weeks to see how the weekly episodes turn out.

Sir Fragula said:
Yeah, probably a fair bit. Though they've slimmed down the process.

If you're wavering, wait a few weeks to see how the weekly episodes turn out.

Yeah will do, I have a life sub so its not going to cost me anything other than bandwidth and patience I guess...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I hated the way they did the trial.

I was having a bit of fun, but I completed the opening module in a few hours and after that I couldn't do anything else. I would rather have had a week to play as much as I wanted :lol

Effect

Well signed back up last night after spending all that time patching Age of Conan only to change my mind in the end. Crazy. Though needed something that wasn't going to frustrate me the way FFXIV has. Also the updates for STO sounded better and I'm more of a SciFi fan in general. I still play Anarchy Online from time to time due to that. Though as soon as the graphic update ever hits that then I'll be back to a paid subscription. Anyway. My screen was freaking me out after I logged into the game though as my accomplishments were being recalculated and re-award to me with accolades for things I had completed before they were added. Took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. I think I ended up with an additional level out of the deal as well. Nice to see those badges too.

Curious as to what this new injury system is about. Only made it back to Earthdock before I logged out so didn't get a chance to really look at it.. There were several instances up of the areas I traveled through so the population isn't horribly low but perhaps healthy as the new producer of the game has said. Time will tell. I'll get a chance to really play tonight. I do still wish they'd do something about the bridge section. I wonder if they even can though at this point.

Decent impression so far but I don't think I'll be playing this every night. I didn't when I was first playing it. Just logged in after work some days and played. The game was somewhat relaxing in that way. Didn't feel I needed to be in every day in order to advance. That's a good and bad thing I guess.

I really enjoyed the BETA from a gameplay point of view, but it didn't inspire me from a MMO/Paid Subscription model. However, its good to see them adding new content to this, I'd be very tempted if the price came down.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I had fun with this, but with my classwork I can't justify a few hours every night.

*guiltily* Thats for Minecraft and TF2

If they went F2P, I'd support with microtransactions. Question though: is it completely barren now? Does it have any kind of playerbase still?

Effect

I think I read that (in the State of the Game letter I think or something similar) some of the new ships will be avaliable both in the C-store and obtainable in the game without purchase. Of course they'll be easier and faster to get if you just bought them.

The_Technomancer said:
If they went F2P, I'd support with microtransactions. Question though: is it completely barren now? Does it have any kind of playerbase still?

I saw several instances up when I was in for the short time I was last night. The forums give mixed opinions. It doesn't have the numbers it did at launch that is clear. I don't think it's barren though. If the reports for how much it cost to make are true, I think 15 million was said in one post on the forums, then they paid off development sometime ago. That they are continuing to produce new content even with a small staff (was it ever large?) is usually a good sign I think.

Did Cryptic let people go in the past few months? Other then the heads of both STO and Champions Online?

Walshicus

Jack Random said:
yes, if you want to pay for them :/
Actually you get the Tier 3 Excelsior without paying. The T5 is currently available for a fee.

The Nebula T3 [or was it T4?] will be available the same, and the T5 for either a fee or for in-game currency. They're hoping to trial various methods here.

Klingons get a bunch of new ships soon - T5 Gorn, Orion, Naussican ships and a refit Vorcha.

The game's a lot more fun now they've started the various weekly series. The Breen episode arc showed some promise. Upcoming series features the Devidians - who were featured in the TNG time-travel episode set in 19th century San Francisco.

Medalion

Banned
I wonder if overall STO play has dropped dramatically by now... that they would bother keeping the servers running anymore?

I still feel the need to pop in once and again, but my subscription ran out and Ihave no more intention of renewing because whenever I do, I only pop in for a short time and lose interest again. Waste of money.

markatisu

I bought this last night since I had some Gamestop gift cards to spare (and it gives 30 days free)

It runs pretty well on my 2008 Macbook under boot camp and so far I like it except for flying the ship (that just seems harder to me then it should be)

I am having more fun with this then World of Warcraft, but that may be because I like the Starcraft and Sci-Fi genre more.

Top Bottom