• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: TOS & Star Trek: TNG Complete Series Blu-Ray Mega Packs Announced (6/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher

Star Trek: The Original Series - The Complete Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series have been available on Blu-Ray in other regions for awhile now, and now finally CBS and Paramount will be releasing them in the U.S. this June!

Part of the influx of all things Star Trek-related to celebrate it's 50th Anniversary:

CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution have set a June release date for Star Trek: The Next Generation The Complete Series and the Star Trek: The Original Series: The Complete Series. The Star Trek: The Original Series – The Complete Series Blu-ray will feature all three seasons of the iconic sci-fi series in sparkling high-definition, available for the first time in new, shelf-friendly packaging and at an affordable price. The 20-disc collection will include all 79 TOS episodes as well as a trove of bonus material.

TOS11.jpg

The TOS bonus material will include segments devoted to specific episodes, the characters, actors, producers and writers, as well as trailers and the popular home movies shot on set by Billy Blackburn. In total, fans will be treated to nearly 70 hours of episodes and special features. Star Trek: The Original Series: The Complete Series will cost approximately $99.99.

TNG26.jpg

Similarly, Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Complete Series will feature all seven seasons of the award-winning show in high-definition, and available for the first time in new, shelf-friendly packaging and at an affordable price. Both the 41-disc Blu-ray collection and the 48-disc DVD set will include all 178 TNG episodes, along with a wealth of exciting bonus material, totaling nearly 135 hours of entertainment.

TNG27.jpg

The TNG special features will include several hours of featurettes, commentaries, character and actor segments, and more. The Star Trek: The Next Generation The Complete Series Blu-ray will sell for approximately $208.99 U.S, while the DVD version will cost approximately $144.99 U.S.

http://www.startrek.com/article/tos-tng-blu-ray-mega-packs

Set phasers to fun this Summer!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I got the next gen box set last year, well worth it.

When are we getting DS9?! I need me some Pale Moonlight and Sacrifice of Angels in HD already!

Love the artwork for the TOS set. I just need Season 7 too have all of TNG so it might not be worth it to me to buy the whole set.

Why does the TOS box get a cool, artsy cover while the TNG box looks like someone just wrapped it in a 90s poster of the show?

NeOak

I thought I would mind after getting the 7 seasons when they came out, but at least I have the slipcovers :p

Great deal though. Anyone on the fence should go for it.

Effect

Nice. I've been meaning to pick up sets for these. I hope they do a Deep Space Nine one. I'd even like a Voyager one but DS9 is a must.

The Complete Series will feature all seven seasons of the award-winning show in high-definition, and available for the first time in new, shelf-friendly packaging and at an affordable price.

Phew, about time. My shelf has been incredibly hostile towards my existing TNG blu-rays.

t-storm

I'm currently at the end of season 3 DS9 and loving it.

Never really got into it when I was younger and it was on the air. Although I can see why it is darker and more mature.

I was too in love with the brightness and optimism of TNG,

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm currently at the end of season 3 DS9 and loving it.

You have no idea how good it is about to get, seasons 4-7 of that show are god-tier, and is as good as Trek has ever been.

But where is DS9?

Not likely. There was a lot of CGI in DS9 and it's not in HD. To release it on blu-ray (and make it look half decent) they'd need to re-render everything, and since all the original 3D models are gone, they'd also need to recreate every CGI scene.

That's a lot of time and money.

Wow, based on the prices of the individual seasons, I figured CBS would make you take out a mortgage to afford them, but those are decent.

Is there a particular reason for this? I can't see why they wouldn't, it's best one!

TNG and DS9 are from a pre-HD era. TNG has been remastered. DS9 has not and the costs to do so are higher than what Paramount and CBS would probably be willing to pay.

It's the same reason Stargate SG-1 isn't on Blu-Ray, Atlantis was filmed in HD, SG-1 was not (for most of its run). You'll notice the issues in the first season of Atlantis on Blu-Ray, the special effects were done for standard def, so they look poor on high-definition, even though the show was shot in digital.

Fuchsdh

Is there a particular reason for this? I can't see why they wouldn't, it's best one!

Basically this:

Not likely. There was a lot of CGI in DS9 and it's not in HD. To release it on blu-ray (and make it look half decent) they'd need to re-render everything, and since all the original 3D models are gone, they'd also need to recreate every CGI scene.

That's a lot of time and money.

TNG didn't do that well by all reports sales-wise, and DS9 would be a similar undertaking for a by-all-respects less popular show. It's probably just not worth it for them economically.

It's gonna suck not getting DS9 or Voyager in HD but it might happen.

TNG didn't do that well by all reports sales-wise, and DS9 would be a similar undertaking for a by-all-respects less popular show. It's probably just not worth it for them economically.

It's gonna suck not getting DS9 or Voyager in HD but it might happen.

Yeah I was just reading how the sales for TNG kinda trailed off. That explains the high prices. I guess it's the same for Babylon 5, I'd love to see that in HD but it'd cost millions.

Markitron

I remember when one season of X-files on dvd was 150 bones.

I remember buying South Park season 1 on DVD in 98 (I think) and it was 115 pounds, fucking crazy. Trey and Matt's intro's were fucking fantastic though.

I tweeted this and someone pointed out I can get the UK Blu-Ray release for $100.

I got it off eBay for 85 euro's a couple of months ago.

Erevador

TNG and DS9 are from a pre-HD era. TNG has been remastered. DS9 has not and the costs to do so are higher than what Paramount and CBS would probably be willing to pay.

It's the same reason Stargate SG-1 isn't on Blu-Ray, Atlantis was filmed in HD, SG-1 was not (for most of its run). You'll notice the issues in the first season of Atlantis on Blu-Ray, the special effects were done for standard def, so they look poor on high-definition, even though the show was shot in digital.
Restored TNG seems to be a big success on Blu Ray and on streaming, and has helped bring the whole show back into public attention. It makes sense for them to bring more and more of the good Star Trek shows back in the run-up to a new show (similar to what's happened with X-Files and Twin Peaks).

I am sure that someone is working on restoring and remastering DS9 right now.

Bane

Huh, I've had seasons 3-7 of TNG on an Amzzon wishlist for a while and they would cost more than this set. Not bad, Paramount.

Cheebo

Banned
Restored TNG seems to be a big success on Blu Ray and on streaming, and has helped bring the whole show back into public attention. It makes sense for them to bring more and more of the good Star Trek shows back in the run-up to a new show (similar to what's happened with X-Files and Twin Peaks).

I am sure that someone is working on restoring and remastering DS9 right now.
We have been told they aren't doing the DS9 remasters because the TNG remaster sales did not meet expectations. So the situation is basically the opposite of what you theorized lol.

There was talk from CBS home video types over at the bluray forums. Some of the TNG seasons had such low sales numbers to be only 6 figures, only single digit thousands in total sales.

Eh, I have done okay I guess as far as buying the seasons separately. I have spent about 35$ per TNG for each season. Not too bad. For those who waited though, the boxset is definitely worth it.

Not

Banned
...Fuck, the DVD box for TNG looks way better than the bluray one :(

This is one show/movie I'd actually consider getting physical media for. Worth it to me.

boingball

Good price, hopefully it sells well and convinces CBS to release also DS9.
I already did my part and have TOS, TNG and even Enterprise on Blu.

All episodes are still 4:3 but they are great transfers from the original film material and the special effects have been redone (though the original special effects are also available). Great sets!

In for TNG. I hope the video quality is amazing. Any info about the quality?

Assuming these are the prior releases, they went back and recaptured from the old film masters, then redid many of the effects for 1080p, since they were at 480i/p for television broadcast originally.

If you're talking about the actual compression, I hope they don't crunch it down to fit more episodes on the discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom