• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Star Trek series (TNG/DS9/VOY) is your favorite and why?

Which Star Trek series (TNG/DS9/VOY) is your favorite and why?

• The Next Generation

Votes: 70 58.8%
  • Deep Space Nine

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • Voyager

Votes: 16 13.4%

• Total voters

Pagusas

Elden Member
DS9 = TNG = TOS Movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> TOS>Voyager >> TNG Movies.

All are still better than all other modern Star Trek. Picard Season 3 at least being fun and a decent send off.

I love DS9. Though I will always say Babylon 5 was the better show and did way more, with way less, and deserves being mentioned. DS9 still eventually made a great name for it self, and how they portrayed war and character evolution from season 3 onward was amazing.

TNG is the perfect background show, you can jump into it anytime and always feel at home with it. I love it, and wish we had more of it in the world.

Voyager started with so much promise, I actually truely likely the idea, the characters and where it was going in season 1. But then it just dropped it all and turned into a cheap wannabee TNG and failed miserably. It should have been what Battlestar Galactica was, a ship on the run, running out of resources, constantly in danger and just trying to stay alive.

TOS just is too old for me, a few of the episodes hold up just for being well written, but the production, acting just rip me out of the immersion.

The TOS movies on the other hand are perfect to me, I love them all, even Final Frontier (especially the fan cut that replaces the effects and repaces the movies) The acting and charcters feel completely different than TOS, and the refit Enterprise is the most beautiful ship ever made. Plus the soundtracks are all time classics.

The TNG movies are just... not good. Even first contact, while pretty and epic, doesn't work for me in the end, too much tone shift and the sense of exploration is gone.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I motion to replace Voyager with Enterprise in the poll. All in favor say "You best start believing in Ghost stories Harry...You're in one!"

Last edited:

ManaByte

I motion to replace Voyager with Enterprise in the poll. All in favor say "You best start believing in Ghost stories Harry...You're in one!"

The last two seasons of Enterprise were so good Berman killed the show and the TV franchise because his ego was bruised. Seasons 3 and 4 were when Manny Coto (from 24) took over and Berman and Braga were sidelined.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The worst of voyager is still better than Enterprise to me. The show was souless and the the true end of Star Trek.
The Xindi storyline made Enterprise an entertaining watch for me. The final season was a mess, though.

jason10mm

Gold Member
As a person who started watching TNG due to being a fan of Orville, what are the selling points on Voyager and DS9?
Voyager...
yrPnrK8.jpeg

DS9
TZCjlIf.jpeg

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
TNG for me, followed not so closely by DS9. The characters and how they treat/interact with each other really works for me. Zero of the sassy one-liner bullshit that has infested the newer Trek shows(and pretty much all shows unfortunately.) There is a chain of command and you better follow it. Rewatched the whole thing a few years ago while recovering from surgery, and it totally holds up.

Bonus Worf getting bitch-checked for sassiness:

AZLil7

Banned
Definitely leaning towards Deep Space Nine for me. I love the space station setting and the whole Dominion War storyline—it added so much depth. Garak and Bashir’s dynamic is one of my favorite parts of the show. I also think Worf fit in way better on DS9 compared to TNG. It's a tough call because each series has its strengths, but DS9’s darker, more complex storytelling really pulls me in.

The worst of voyager is still better than Enterprise to me. The show was souless and the the true end of Star Trek.

There are good episodes of Enterprise! How much Enterprise did you even watch?

My favorite episode of Enterprise is "Similitude" from season 3. The one where Capt Archer orders the doctor to create a short lived clone of Trip to harvest organs or something to save the original Trips life. This was just good science fiction and really of the best of Star Trek in any series in my book.

Also objectively, the best episodes from Enterprise according to IMDB are rated 8.6 and 8.5. While Voyager has several episodes rated in the 5's. One being Threshold (rated 5.2/10) the one where Paris and Jane way get temporarily turned into amphibians and have babies... And is considered one of the worst episodes from any series of Trek

But I am a big fan of both Voayger and Enterprise. It's really DS9 I could never get behind. Nothing really wrong with the series or characters. It's just not for me. It's a bit heavy on both political bureaucracy and pseudo religious stuff for my taste. The intrigue is not from actual science fiction.

Ulysses 31

Definitely leaning towards Deep Space Nine for me. I love the space station setting and the whole Dominion War storyline—it added so much depth. Garak and Bashir’s dynamic is one of my favorite parts of the show. I also think Worf fit in way better on DS9 compared to TNG. It's a tough call because each series has its strengths, but DS9’s darker, more complex storytelling really pulls me in.
And Section 31 showing that Federation also has their way of dealing with certain things. :messenger_winking_tongue:

VOY without a doubt, exploration is what I like about star trek, and in that aspect it doesn't get any better than lost in space.

The real answer is lower decks though.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
DS9 is a masterpiece (not a fan of the vic fontaine stuff it fell completely flat for me but thats barely even a thing)

I've watched TNG many times and man at least 40% of that show is complete garbage and not just the early seasons either
The highs are so high that it kind of balances out

VOY is all over the place quality wise not touching the other two at all some of it I really liked other stuff is meme worthy bad

Last edited:

Trelane

I'll always remember the episode 'The Quickening' on DS9. Dr. Bashir says that there isn't a cure for the people and that he was arrogant to think he could find a cure so quickly. Dax agrees, but she says it's more arrogant to think that a cure doesn't exist simply because he hasn't found one. That one little exchange changed my perspective on humility and self-pity. Just because I couldn't fix something doesn't mean whatever that problem was couldn't be fixed, and it would be arrogant to simply give up because I didn't have the answers. I try to remember that when I'm dealing with problems at work or at home.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
TNG is the perfection of the franchise

DS9 is an amazing experiment with some excellent episodes and lots of trash in between

VOY is totally forgettable tv down to every core of its being

Zathalus

I’m not Native American and I’ve never set foot in America but even as a young kid I thought the spirit walk stuff in Voyager seemed wildly cringe. Turns out it was a hack Eastern European that was the “consultant” for Chakotay so that tracks.

Hudo

I try not to think about Paris and Janeway turning into slugs. LMFAO, what the fuck were they on about with that episode?
Yeah... after watching the episode I was like "what the fuck was that?"

But also kinda based that they've got that episode greenlit, tbh.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Next Gen was just what got me into Trek
Also it had Troy and the mother fucking Borg

star trek picard GIF

Plus first contact legit one of the best Trek Movies.
Data is great and Riker

Fuck yeah.
Star Trek GIF

DS9 was amazing and felt like it had better continuity kira was also a babe
It felt a bit rougher and ready and I loved it. Oh Word and O’Brien as well
It also had the cadassians and fleshed out the ferengi.
It stands along side TNG in my mind anyway

Voyager had seven of nine and that weird episode where Paris fucked Janeway when they turned into lizards?

Yeah don’t ask.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Native Americans being known for having well founded concern regarding secrecy, wide differences in beliefs between tribes and the show being fictional it didn't seem out of place that there would be a simulacrum rather than historical. Outside of those that focus specifically on them, there was not much organic presence in major shows or films.

Voyager kept recognizable basics like ancestor worship.

The akoonah as story device for the idea that the body didn't need drugs/stress to alter sensoria in a way to access a collective mind was useful and intriguing. Brings it together with some Hermetic ideas. Challenging to dogmatic notions, but not against people that hold them. Much like shows that challenge religious belief systems with science. It's science fiction.

Thaedolus

Also had one of the best themes out of all the movies (imho)

I remember being a kid watching Airforce One at home with my parents and saying “this sounds like a ripoff of the First Contact music” then I saw it was composed by Jerry Goldsmith and said “oh that’s why.”

My mom was like…how the fuck did you connect those dots?

Thaedolus

^If you had told me they fed the First Contact soundtrack mp3s into the AI song generator's maw and that's what it shit out, I would have 100% believed you.
Even John Williams stuff sounds like he plagiarized himself/ really same-y sometimes. You can hear the Imperial March in Hook so much that if I try to play it on piano, I can forget what I’m playing:

Paltheos

DS9 = TNG = TOS Movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>> TOS>Voyager >> TNG Movies.

All are still better than all other modern Star Trek. Picard Season 3 at least being fun and a decent send off.

I love DS9. Though I will always say Babylon 5 was the better show and did way more, with way less, and deserves being mentioned. DS9 still eventually made a great name for it self, and how they portrayed war and character evolution from season 3 onward was amazing.

TNG is the perfect background show, you can jump into it anytime and always feel at home with it. I love it, and wish we had more of it in the world.

Voyager started with so much promise, I actually truely likely the idea, the characters and where it was going in season 1. But then it just dropped it all and turned into a cheap wannabee TNG and failed miserably. It should have been what Battlestar Galactica was, a ship on the run, running out of resources, constantly in danger and just trying to stay alive.

TOS just is too old for me, a few of the episodes hold up just for being well written, but the production, acting just rip me out of the immersion.

The TOS movies on the other hand are perfect to me, I love them all, even Final Frontier (especially the fan cut that replaces the effects and repaces the movies) The acting and charcters feel completely different than TOS, and the refit Enterprise is the most beautiful ship ever made. Plus the soundtracks are all time classics.

The TNG movies are just... not good. Even first contact, while pretty and epic, doesn't work for me in the end, too much tone shift and the sense of exploration is gone.

Pretty close to my opinion too. I think TNG outedges DS9 because it's a more consistent show even accounting for its awful start, and a couple of those TOS movies are wonky (1 & 5) but hey that probably evens out with TNG's and DS9's shit.
I'd throw Enterprise, the TV series, below the TNG movies, I think. It's hard to understate how shit it is but at least it is still Star Trek (kinda).

Also had one of the best themes out of all the movies (imho)

I haven't heard that in years, but it instantly brought tears to my eyes when I listened to it again just now.

Also, regarding the topic, TNG. Bias maybe since that's what I grew up on.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I haven't heard that in years, but it instantly brought tears to my eyes when I listened to it again just now.

Also, regarding the topic, TNG. Bias maybe since that's what I grew up on.
one of the definite improvements in Picard season 3 (even though I still don't consider the season good enough to be canon... but that's another debate) was the ending sequence which borrowed the First Contact theme, with excellent visuals as well.

Hudo

one of the definite improvements in Picard season 3 (even though I still don't consider the season good enough to be canon... but that's another debate) was the ending sequence which borrowed the First Contact theme, with excellent visuals as well.

I feel like Picard Season 3 is what it should've been from the start.

Trelane

I haven’t seen any of Enterprise, Picard, Discovery, or any of the newer shows. I don’t like prequels and I didn’t like the direction they were taking the series with the newer shows. The Romulus was destroyed and now the Romulans, the ones with the EMPIRE are refugees? Because of one planet? In their EMPIRE IF PLANETS? Also they are supposed to be misunderstood? Seriously, the Romulans were worse than any other alien race when it came to backstabbing, just watch TNG. More than once the Romulans were about to fire on the Enterprise after the Enterprise HELPED them. Hesitation to help them is understandable when you don’t know if it’s just another trick once again.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
For me personally, Picard season 3 was an almost perfect ending for TNG. They really fucked up with season 1 and I've heard 2 was worse(I will never watch it.) I fully accept being manipulated by the nostalgia bait.

The only other show that scratches that TNG itch for me is Stargate SG-1. It doesn't rise to TNG's greatness, but I enjoy the earnest characters and stories.

When TV shows had 24+ episodes per season, there was a lot of filler crap, but it also left room to experiment and flesh out different characters.

Trilobit

TOS will always be my favourite, followed by ENT which isn't good in the classical sense, but it's so wildly entertaining that I can't help loving it.

Out of the ones OP mentioned I'd absolutely say TNG which is still amazing and in many ways the best since TOS. I gave VOY a chance, but it felt too dated and weirdly gloomy. I've heard good things about DS9, but haven't had the urge to watch it as I'm not a big fan of the "one space station" as an only setting for Star Trek(I mean, it's called trek).

TNG was the perfect show to watch when you were home sick from school. I was always so immersed in whatever was happening for that episode. Great show!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man, I really need to start watching Babylon 5. I've heard so many people say it was DS9s competition and did a lot of good things.
B5 is pretty dope for seasons 2-4. The first season is a bit uneven and they retool (and recast) a bit for season 2 onwards. Then they kinda sped up then ending for s4 and ended up with an "extra" season 5 that lost some momentum. The movies around B5 are pretty good, the Ranger series not so much, I always felt they were super cheesy (in a show that was quite cheesy to start with).

Not sure how well the effects hold up but GOD DAMN those CGI ships were ground breaking at the time. Plus the cool gravity well effect of their gun blasts, toned down in later seasons, was really cool. I'd but B5 up there with Farscape are the really really ambitious TV shows that were really ahead of their time (and effects tech). Wish folks would try stuff like that today, imagine the lush production of Star Trek Discovery but with good writers and vision :p

StueyDuck

TNG because it's the one that i mostly stuck with through to the end, not cause it was getting bad or anything, just that life happens, can't always watch every show and so on.

BillMaxwell

Neo Member
Man, I really need to start watching Babylon 5. I've heard so many people say it was DS9s competition and did a lot of good things.

Yes, you should watch it.

Season 1 is a bit slow, but even it has some excellent moments like the introductions of Bester (played by Walter Koenig) and Mr. Morden.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
When TV shows had 24+ episodes per season, there was a lot of filler crap, but it also left room to experiment and flesh out different characters.
yes, love all the character episodes on TNG for instance... every main cast member gets them

But also, those were the days when TV was willing to be serialized in such a way that each episode was a self-contained story. I despise the season-long plotlines of the newer shows, even something like Picard season 3 is still a failure overall since it tries to do the "mystery box" nonsense to stretch out revelations over a season, which is such an incredibly awful writing style to me, truly the worst possible format for storytelling.

DS9, for all the parts of it that were great along the way, also descended into the "big plotline" nonsense. I actually feel that the show peaked around season 4 and then ruined its potential by turning into the dominion-war show. But even that was far better than the new mystery writing of trash like Discovery.

sono

I don't get the love for ds9
Poor plots which turn on the breeze, poor quality video, ugly character's that are not relatable and poor dialogue !

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't get the love for ds9
Poor plots which turn on the breeze, poor quality video, ugly character's that are not relatable and poor dialogue !
I'd partly agree, but Voyager was worse by a mile in all these areas, particularly the awful characters. Maybe Tuvok passes as a decent character, but all the others combined are simply horrible to me in every episode, regarding both the writing and the acting talent.

Janeway is insufferable; Chakotay seems like a bad mistake they were stuck with, when clearly his acting is sub soap opera level and his character's concept had nothing to work with; Neelix is 10x more irritating than the worst of the Ferengis (and on the flip side, compare him to Quark, who is legitimately a great character... it's not even close); Klingon girl is just a bad mood stretched out with no substance; Tom Paris should have been actual Locarno from TNG episode but they screwed it up, he probably had the most potential after Tuvok; Harry Kim is cheesy TV at all times; the doctor is okay.

compare to some truly great characters on DS9 like Quark, Garak, O'Brien (most of my favorite episodes hinge on him), Worf in second half of series, etc -- it's still a gap that favors DS9. But TNG is on another level, far above either show even in its worst episodes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom