• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: TOS & Star Trek: TNG Complete Series Blu-Ray Mega Packs Announced (6/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's great these are finally coming out. Do these offer anything new from the previous Blus (TNG in particular) or is this just a straight repackage of the individual seasons?

Sojgat

158736-L-LO.jpg

But we can't get a DS9 Blu-ray release...

Does the TNG set have all the exclusive extras from the mini sets? (The Best of Both World, Chain of Command etc)?

Otherwise probably not worth it

Not likely. There was a lot of CGI in DS9 and it's not in HD. To release it on blu-ray (and make it look half decent) they'd need to re-render everything, and since all the original 3D models are gone, they'd also need to recreate every CGI scene.

That's a lot of time and money.

Actually, at the least, a lot of the original models exist.

But yeah, still gonna cost a lot to do and they don't think it's going to hit TNG sales, which they weren't that impressed with to begin with

Cheebo

Banned
Why are people blaming CBS? The reason we aren't getting DS9 is nobody bought the TNG sets. You can't really blame them on this one. DS9 is far less popular, if TNG was a sales disappointment then DS9 would be far worse.

jb1234

Why are people blaming CBS? The reason we aren't getting DS9 is nobody bought the TNG sets. You can't really blame them on this one. DS9 is far less popular, if TNG was a sales did then DS9 would be far worse.

If CBS and/or Paramount didn't sell the blu-ray sets for an absurd amount of money, maybe they would have sold better.

Why are people blaming CBS? The reason we aren't getting DS9 is nobody bought the TNG sets. You can't really blame them on this one. DS9 is far less popular, if TNG was a sales did then DS9 would be far worse.

This.

Face it people, Star Trek as we knew it is dead. I'm not saying there won't be a new good show that a certain audience will enjoy (I have high hopes for the upcoming one myself), just like the new movies that a lot of people DO like, but i get the feeling that overall, that kind of intelligently written, character focused serialized Sci Fi a la TNG & DS9 just went out of style.

Soon, all that the TNG era Star Trek stood for will only exist in the minds of a bunch of nostalgic oldtimers like myself. Commercially, that stuff is dead.

/end depressing rant

Where is Voyager on blu-ray? The second best series after TNG.

Same problem as DS9. Although a lot of the cgi models exist, getting them up to spec would probably be prohibitive for a series guaranteed to sell less then TNG did.

In fact it's even worse then DS9 given how many hardcore trek fans hate the series.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Where is Voyager on blu-ray? The second best series after TNG.

I loved Voyager, but it was too wildly inconsistent to be considered truly great. Also the episode where Janeway and Paris turn into lizards and have lizard children straight-up disqualifies it from being better than any other Trek show.

I was laughing even typing that out, WTF were they thinking?

I've finished TNG, DS9 the other day and now I'm working on Enterprise. I guess I'll do Voyager after this. I hear alot of Trek fans hate Enterprise? Why is that?

dalyr95

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/
What's more, Bonchune went on to reveal in our interview that while he was working in CGI and Digital Effects on Star Trek, a large amount of work was purposefully over-built with the team putting in a huge amount of detail which could never be seen at standard definition, but which makes a re-render in high definition all the more tantalizing:

...If it was built by my team, it was overbuilt. It’ll hold up. I would be more surprised to see something that doesn’t hold up. I would be shocked if it doesn’t hold up to high definition.

waltz_002.jpg

SD

NeblaClass_Honshu-DS9_HD_r24.jpg

HD

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I've finished TNG, DS9 the other day and now I'm working on Enterprise. I guess I'll do Voyager after this. I hear alot of Trek fans hate Enterprise? Why is that?

I can't speak for all Trek fans, but a lot of the hate for Enterprise comes from the first two seasons, which are pretty bad. Season 3 and 4 are great though, but it was too little too late. There are lots of other small issues, such as them completely fucking up first contact with the Klingons, but these could be personal gripes.

Also I'd recommend you do Voyager first personally.

Garou

A TNG complete BluRay has been out in EU for ages and are the exact same discs as the rest of the world. Probably even cheaper than those.

I can't speak for all Trek fans, but a lot of the hate for Enterprise comes from the first two seasons, which are pretty bad. Season 3 and 4 are great though, but it was too little too late. There are lots of other small issues, such as them completely fucking up first contact with the Klingons, but these could be personal gripes.

Also I'd recommend you do Voyager first personally.

I'm on episode 21 of season one. Outside the first two part episode which I enjoyed it's slow sure and I don't necessarily find the choice of alien races as interesting but tonally I feel like it's much more authentic to what a military vessel would be like.

Aa far as Klingons what's the gripe? That they don't play a large role?

GAF put me on to the individual TNG seasons on bluray when they hit some crazy sale price on Amazon, so I think I ended up getting them all for around $200.

The TNG remaster is phenomenal, got it when it released for me and it's well worth the price. The CGI clarity is the best part, the planets look awesome (it's a small thing but I love it) but yeah the overall bluray quality is great.

I'd also love a DS9 remaster but it'll likely never happen since so few people have bought the TNG remaster to warrant the cost to do DS9, they said it's not feasible. DS9 will happen if they can justify the costs, the situation with TNG shows that the sales vs cost is not feasible. If more people buy the TNG remaster then that can change their minds. It'll be even more expensive for DS9 since DS9 uses much more CGI than TNG and if TNG already was difficult to justify... it's unlikely we will ever see DS9 remastered. :(

It has been discussed to death on trekbbs with various threads, still has a long ongoing 130 page thread about a DS9 remaster.

Here are some articles discussing DS9 remaster.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/091014_1215

NR1

CBS and Paramount should be playing the long game with the remaster of DS9. They are looking at short term blu-ray sales of TNG as a measuring stick, when they need to realize that those remasters are being used for current and future television syndication, web streaming, and other distribution channels. We are now moving into a 4K generation of displays; do they really think those 480p prints are going to be doing them any favors moving forward? Remaster them, so that the content will be more appealing to audiences and broadcasters. Show some pride in your product.

I applaude Liongate for following through to the end with the remastering and release of all 9 seasons of Little House on the Prairie on Blu-ray; the 9th and final season is releasing on April 19. The seasons have been give huge praise over the course of its release since 2014, but by season 7, Liongate started to reevaluate continuing to the end. Thankfully they did, but rather than releasing seasons 8/9 full retail, they made them Amazon exclusive. Sounds like a good way of reducing costs to me. Hell, work out a deal with a streaming company like Amazon or Netflix to get exclusives access to the remaster prints for a limited time for streaming use to help offset costs.

CBS seems to have a major problem with releasing remastered content on Blu-ray at a reasonable price and then blame fans for not supporting the show. I Love Lucy is stopping at Season 2. It has 8 seasons total. For the longest time, Season 1 was $50- $80 for 35 episodes and Season 2 is currently $80 for 31 episodes. Many of the special features from the DVD releases are missing too.

EDIT

I will add that doing this now rather than later will likely be cheaper in the long run too. Wages only go up, plus the longer you wait to locate and remaster the source materials, the harder it will get. Things get lost. Things get destroyed. Things decay.

Cheebo

Banned
CBS and Paramount should be playing the long game with the remaster of DS9. They are looking at short term blu-ray sales of TNG as a measuring stick, when they need to realize that those remasters are being used for current and future television syndication, web streaming, and other distribution channels. We are now moving into a 4K generation of displays; do they really think those 480p prints are going to be doing them any favors moving forward? Remaster them, so that the content will be more appealing to audiences and broadcasters. Show some pride in your product.
Syndication market for hour long dramas is dead.

We also need to remember that DS9 is not a popular show at all. It's ratings at the time wee waaaaaay below TNG and it did worse than Voyager for a number of seasons.

No one even knows about the show outside of a small group of hardcore niche fans. It is not a show with mass appeal or really any awareness. It's going to be one of thousands of shows that just fade away and disappear as time goes on. Not every show gets remastered and continues as format changes, only popular shows get that treatment.

DS9 is my favorite 90s Trek but people need to be realistic, it's not a popular or well known show. It's not TNG Twin Peaks, or X-Files. The type of shows that get remasters.

TNG lost money for CBS, there is zero incentive to do DS9 after that. CBS types over at the Bluray.com forums already said it's not happening.

Not to mention you can't compare Little House on the Prarie to this. That was shot on film with no cgi that would need redone. Trek 90s remastering is vastly more expensive due to this. And it is a show that is massively more well known than DS9 to boot.

MC Safety

Does anyone know about the original series episodes in this boxed set?

If I recall correctly, most of the original episodes had a 50-51 minute air time, which was then cut down for syndication. I'd assume the mega pack includes the full versions of the original episodes, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of that.

Cheebo

Banned
Does anyone know about the original series episodes in this boxed set?

If I recall correctly, most of the original episodes had a 50-51 minute air time, which was then cut down for syndication. I'd assume the mega pack includes the full versions of the original episodes, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of that.
Every home video release has been the full cuts of the episodes. So no worries there.

TedMilk

They should totally do a kickstarter for DS9, judging by the responses on here it should have a chance of being made then?

Cheebo

Banned
They should totally do a kickstarter for DS9, judging by the responses on here it should have a chance of being made then?
Based on how expensive the TNG ones were it would have to be one of the most well funded kick starters ever for movies/tv.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm on episode 21 of season one. Outside the first two part episode which I enjoyed it's slow sure and I don't necessarily find the choice of alien races as interesting but tonally I feel like it's much more authentic to what a military vessel would be like.
Season one is mostly just kind of slow, and it's just kind of lame in spots.

There is a stretch of season two, though... man.

Aa far as Klingons what's the gripe? That they don't play a large role?

TNG mentioned a "disastrous first contact" that led to decades of war. that didn't really happen in Enterprise.

That said, I kinda thought the entire point of Broken Bow was that the Temporal Cold War was changing history a bit.

Cheebo

Banned
CBS said its not happening, people just need to accept the situation for what it is. Especially with the dying home video market.

As soon as the TNG blu-ray set drops to $100 on Amazon.ca, I am jumping on it. Could take a few years but hopefully it will happen.

I got a pack of all three TOS seasons on blu-ray for $60 on sale last year.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Not likely. There was a lot of CGI in DS9 and it's not in HD. To release it on blu-ray (and make it look half decent) they'd need to re-render everything, and since all the original 3D models are gone, they'd also need to recreate every CGI scene.

That's a lot of time and money.

IIRC it's the same deal with Babylon 5.

B5 was filmed in a HD-friendly format, but its special effects and all-CGI space scenes would probably need to be redone from scratch.

First two seasons are mostly terrible. I feel like it really picks up during season 3 though and season 4 is up there with the best.... Also the final episode doesn't exist.
It's a shame it got cancelled. It was building up to some really interesting events that have been talked about but never actually shown.

CBS said its not happening, people just need to accept the situation for what it is. Especially with the dying home video market.
Never

It's great these are finally coming out. Do these offer anything new from the previous Blus (TNG in particular) or is this just a straight repackage of the individual seasons?

Just counted, it's the same amount of discs I have got in this box set
STTNG.jpg

This is a great deal considering the detailed work that went into it. Yes, DS9 (and for weirdos, Voyager) super fans will never see their favorite show get the same treatment - but as a fan of the series we got more than I ever dreamed.

Be happy, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom