• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
It probably didnt....

Remember SWBF stats is both correct and incorrect with its numbers.

shifty+eyes1.gif

How convenient...

Can't complain, though. Gonna hop on for some more credits this weekend.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Got this in the sale. Really liking it but it makes me a little uncomfortable.

Before I played BF, I felt like Star Wars battles were very "safe", y'know? Just guys and gals running around going "PEWPEW! PEWPEW!" and people falling over in a shower of pretty sparks. The worst thing we got to witness was an Ewok death which was softened by the fact it was just an annoying teddy bear that got whacked.

Now they've brought in all the Battlefield bells and whistles, I feel like the Star Wars battles are no longer the fun flights of fancy from my youth but a horrific vision of future war. The first time I booted it up I felt a bit shell shocked: the horrific death screams of my comrades, deafening explosions, laser beams lighting up the sky, scorched earth, debris and dirt flying everywhere, the ground erupting under orbital barrages, and those monstrous AT-ATs that loom so large over the battlefield. Man, I was practically praying that they wouldn't look at me because I know that everything they do look at dies.

I started imagining all those poor Rebels we didn't see in ESB who probably shit themselves when they saw an AT-AT coming over the horizon or all their squad mates turned to mist when a broken solar panel from a TIE Fighter lands square on their noggins. I started imagining all those poor Stormtroopers cut down by Han Solo as he laughs manically, dancing across the battlefield like some vengeful trickster god.

Battlefront has brought the horror of war to the child-like wonder of Star Wars and I feel weird about it.

Great game though.

Before I played BF, I felt like Star Wars battles were very "safe", y'know? Just guys and gals running around going "PEWPEW! PEWPEW!" and people falling over in a shower of pretty sparks. The worst thing we got to witness was an Ewok death which was softened by the fact it was just an annoying teddy bear that got whacked.

Now they've brought in all the Battlefield bells and whistles, I feel like the Star Wars battles are no longer the fun flights of fancy from my youth but a horrific vision of future war. The first time I booted it up I felt a bit shell shocked: the horrific death screams of my comrades, deafening explosions, laser beams lighting up the sky, scorched earth, debris and dirt flying everywhere, the ground erupting under orbital barrages, and those monstrous AT-ATs that loom so large over the battlefield. Man, I was practically praying that they wouldn't look at me because I know that everything they do look at dies.

I started imagining all those poor Rebels we didn't see in ESB who probably shit themselves when they saw an AT-AT coming over the horizon or all their squad mates turned to mist when a broken burning solar panel from a TIE Fighter lands on their noggins. I started imagining all those poor Stormtroopers cut down by Han Solo as he laughs manically, dancing across the battlefield like Lt. Col. Kilgore in Apocalypse Now.

Battlefront has brought the horror of war to the child-like wonder of Star Wars and I feel weird about it.

Great game though.

This is a pretty good post btw.

The battle of hoth, especially trench fighting makes the movie battle of hoth, well...

tumblr_myulqp8MPg1r93xiko1_500.gif

Toa TAK

Banned

I started imagining all those poor Rebels we didn't see in ESB who probably shit themselves when they saw an AT-AT coming over the horizon or all their squad mates turned to mist when a broken solar panel from a TIE Fighter lands square on their noggins. I started imagining all those poor Stormtroopers cut down by Han Solo as he laughs manically, dancing across the battlefield like some vengeful trickster god.

Great game though.

This post made me both laugh and feel disheartened. Glad you're enjoying the game, too.

ewok-stormtrooper-attack-1441311086.gif

Sayers

Here's an image of all potential heroes, villains and costume choices all in one place:

JQkxDAV.jpg

Where's Ahsoka?

I know! Isn't it great?!

Ozorov

It probably didnt....
We were at 22% after 36 hours so... It probably did.

This will be a good weekend to save up some credits. Also interesting to see what Leia-outfit (it has to be a outfit, right?) they'll add.

If I don't remembering wrong we'll get two new big maps (one on Endor and one on Hoth) with the feb. update. Can't wait for that... oh and Turning point on all locations.

MADGAME

It wasnt a discount. I simply bought the Pass from a different region ;).

Oh. I just meant the season pass is a discount/cheaper than buying each expansion pack individually. The scenario I was working through out loud in here was to either gamble and buy the discounted season pass at $50, or wait and buy each expansion at $14.99 in case one is a hunk of poo. If they all pass the test, I end up paying $60, but if one or more suck then I save. Not a big deal, I'm sure I'll appreciate whatever they release on some level.

Some news i guess about the February Patch

sledgehammer70 said:
This is something we have already adjusted to go live with the February Update. The Battle of Jakku will become a mandatory update and the play list will be merged with the main launch playlist.

Here's an image of all potential heroes, villains and costume choices all in one place:

Its like my wishlist as a small child in the 80's all in one image. I think I may have collected a third of those at best :(

I did have the Millenium Falcon though. I was the envy of the neighbourhood kids.

EDIT: Damn! Looking at them all and thinking back, I had 31 figures from that collection, possibly a couple more. So many were lost or eaten by pets...

The lightsabers on those things were so ghetto lol. Just a piece of colored plastic that would extend/retract from the arm. They didn't even look proportionate to the movies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I watched The Burbs the other day

Every time she came on...

Fuck ma dick

Lol

Some news i guess about the February Patch

Yes! This is good. The game is coming along.

Pffft! There was no AhSoka in 1983.

She's OT era now, she should definitely qualify.

Not unless Vader has his way with her this season. She may not even exist at the start of ANH.

On a side note... the only thing that bothers me about all the amazing job on the models in this game, is the lightsabers. They do not taper enough or at all at the tip. It is almost as if they used the ForceFX sabers to do a scan, poly blade and all, lol.

Originally Posted by sledgehammer70
This is something we have already adjusted to go live with the February Update. The Battle of Jakku will become a mandatory update and the play list will be merged with the main launch playlist.

Finally.

Also, they better not fucking nerf the E-11.

Da Hell, I got shot down in my tie fighter by one of those tall ass turbo laser towers in sorosuub.

I thought they were supposed to be on my side!!
damn.png

Quick question about the consumable star cards, so I upgraded my personal shield star card from 7 to 9 sec duration.

When it was white it was at 20+ charges, after I upgraded it was only at 5 charges than a few matches later it bumped at 25. Is it a bug or something?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Quick question about the consumable star cards, so I upgraded my personal shield star card from 7 to 9 sec duration.

When it was white it was at 20+ charges, after I upgraded it was only at 5 charges than a few matches later it bumped at 25. Is it a bug or something?
I have had something similar happen.

Xzan

Finally.

Also, they better not fucking nerf the E-11.

I wouldn't think theres much left to nerf after the last patch, they hit most things pretty hard.

Obviously the A-wing needs a nerf, and maybe Pulse Cannon, but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few corrections the other way (i.e. make Barrage and Bowcaster at least vaguely useful again). Explosive Shot could be made more consistent imo. Burst fire weapons were heavily punished when using it but its just as annoying with other weapons too.

It'd be nice if the Cycler Rifle got a smidgen more love.

I wonder if they'll try to reduce the incentive to take the Jump Pack at some point? I keep meaning to try loadouts without it but I just can't. The ability to escape at a moments notice is way too handy but its the thought of being funneled through those death channels on the larger maps that puts the thought completely out of my mind.

I could see them keeping Luke in his tunic and Leia in her buns and dress as part of the season pass. Those are probably in high-demand and something that people would be willing to pay for.

SO excited for the double exp. weekend. I've been neglecting the game in anticipation!

MADGAME

I could see them keeping Luke in his tunic and Leia in her buns and dress as part of the season pass. Those are probably in high-demand and something that people would be willing to pay for.

SO excited for the double exp. weekend. I've been neglecting the game in anticipation!
Bun Leia would be perfect for Death Star!

I think (and hope) that we won't have to pay for new hero skins and that they'll save them as rewards for the community challenges.
What I could see them doing is making new heroes and playable characters available through DLC outside of the season pass, and I'd be totally fine with that.

This is rather interesting:

Sledgehammer70 said:
Some great feedback here and is something our team is looking into. Overall keeping the community together is very important. I have passed this information along to the team.

In response to this:

Nemeesis2310 wrote:
So as everyone is saying, they fear that the DLC will split the community and I do also. So! my suggestion would be to copy Payday's 2 DLC model.
So what they do for people who dont own the DLC is:
1. You CAN play DLC maps but you CAN'T create a private match or start a public match with that DLC map , you can just play it.
2. You CAN'T use the new characters (heroes in Battlefront)
3. You CAN'T use the new star cards or weapons
4. You CAN'T play the new gamemodes.
In conclusion, let the players who DONT own the DLC atleast be able to play the DLC maps just so the community doesn't get split in two.. The community on PC is dwindeling, it's very low.. And that's only a couple months after official launch! So imagine after...
Please consider this suggestion EA/DICE, it would be magnificent if you could do this to not split our community!
PS: If you guys do this, it will make players want to buy the Season pass or the expasions. Why you ask...
Because everyone would see that the new maps are awesome! they will see people using the new weapons, new heroes, etc, and they will also want them! Why? Because im sure they are going to be amazing.. So think about it, it could be profitable for you guys and really helpfull for us the community, we could enjoy the game MUCH MUCH more!!!
PS2: I own season pass since day 1, but I really want people to be able to just play the map if they dont own it, dont want splitted community.

This is rather interesting:

In response to this:

I would be really pissed as a season pass owner if people who dont want to pay any money for new content get to play all the maps.

Sure they can release some variants of this maps for free (like they are doing in hardline), but not the paid DLC maps.

And yeah in regards to the progress DICE is making. The game will probably play very different when the Death Star DLC comes around.

And my guess is the last DLC is a Rouge One themed dlc with Sand Troopers and Death Troopers as new outfits for the imperials :D

CaucmdGXEAAoZJK.jpg

A mockup from the making starwars site

I would be really pissed as a season pass owner if people who dont want to pay any money for new content get to play all the maps.

Sure they can release some variants of this maps for free (like they are doing in hardline), but not the paid DLC maps.

And yeah in regards to the progress DICE is making. The game will probably play very different when the Death Star DLC comes around.

And my guess is the last DLC is a Rouge One themed dlc with Sand Troopers and Death Troopers as new outfits for the imperials :D

CaucmdGXEAAoZJK.jpg

A mockup from the making starwars site

They're are obviously not going to do it, but it would be a good way to prevent the playerbase from splitting.
I would personally be even more pissed if I paid 50€/$ for a season pass and constantly having trouble finding matches on the DLC maps.
Happened to me in the Uncharted 3 MP. Bought some retro map packs and never could find any matches. Still bums me out.
I would buy 50€ worth of character packs or even pay for new modes if that would mean the maps were free for everyone.

Ozorov

I'm ok with everyone getting all the maps for free. And season pass owners get more modes, weapons, star cards, skins and heroes. But it aint gonna happen. Maybe some maps will be free for all, but no way all 16 of them will be.

Ya know, one thing I wanted to comment on, noticed this especially in Heroes vs Villains - If you're force choked by Vader, and Vader is defeated while you're still being choked, it releases you from his grip.

I dunno, of course that makes sense, but I still think that's cool, and it doesn't kill you right away like Luke's Force push.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom