• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Dantooine

Banned
Clicking square on the dlc box will let you choose what game to play - but good luck with that. Chances are you will be put in at the end of the mode you've chosen, only to then play the next mode in rotation. So stupid. In the vanilla game you choose a mode and the maps rotate, in the dlc, it's the reverse! Wft were they thinking?

Luckily I like all the modes in the Death Star so I just play that now. It feels the most Star Wars to me. I'd love to play blast in all the dlc maps but it's not going to happen now. Not impressed with Scarif, but the heroes and new weapons are fun. I want to be more excited about Rogue One, so the Death Star scratches that itch as well.

Like I said, the one death star map I played was a complete unfun clusterfuck in the second phase with heroes that didn't even make sense there (heroes should be map dependent and it's dumb as hell they aren't)

Furthermore I understand a dlc space battle isn't going to be fully featured but Battlefront 2 got knocked at release for having half-baked, undercooked and barebones space battles and this Battlefront managed to lack half the features of BF2. Transports? Gone. Hangars? Gone. Stationary weapons? Gone. Freighters? Gone. Bombers? Gone. I will say the multi phase idea is neat but I'd rather just have space and hangar battles in the same map like BF2 had them 10 years ago...

The game manages to shit on everything I enjoyed about its predecessor and doesn't even end up a well designed game in the end with the sole exception of having classic gunplay. Hopefully they learned their lessons for the sequel.

Pure luck.

It does 90 damage if someone walks right on top of it or you land a direct impact on someone.
Does Jyn's do more damage? I haven't been able to play as her yet. With them adding Cargo and Droid Run (I hate Cargo) to Death Star it makes playing Battle Station far and few between.

RyanW

So I really like the idea of the multi-phase modes. It kind of adds story telling to multiplayer and introduces unique objectives. What if they took the idea of it and combined current gamemodes and maps instead of creating brand new ones?

I'll keep it brief and leave the rest for your feedback but imagine a playlist that goes like this with the following example: Multi-Phase Hoth. It starts off by playing a normal game of Fighter Squadron on Hoth, either in space or close to the planet's surface. Whoever wins that will get some sort of advantage into the next phase which could be either Walker Assault, or maybe Conquest if they bring that mode back. The winner of the game would be determined on this phase.

That would act as one full game. You keep your stats and whatnot throughout the game. It's not 100% a new experience, but adds another way to play the game with a couple of new and interesting twists and longer individual games. It almost acts like Galactic Conquest from the original game where in some cases you would have to play in multiple areas to fully win over a planet while getting rewards to help you.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So I really like the idea of the multi-phase modes. It kind of adds story telling to multiplayer and introduces unique objectives. What if they took the idea of it and combined current gamemodes and maps instead of creating brand new ones?

Imagine a playlist that goes like this with the following example: Multi-Phase Hoth. It starts off by playing a normal game of Fighter Squadron on Hoth, either in space or close to the planet's surface. Whoever wins that will get some sort of advantage into the next phase which could be either Walker Assault, or maybe Conquest if they bring that mode back. The winner of the game would be determined on this phase.

That would act as one full game. You keep your stats and whatnot throughout the game. It just adds another way to play the game and almost acts like Galactic Conquest from the original game.

Yeah, I wish something like this could be implemented.

Hell, it makes way more sense to do so given how some maps have different time of day variants. One of note is Jakku, where the SSD doesn't crash to the ground during WA.

Was there ever a given reason why you can only roll in two directions?

Also I seriously can't believe no one ever thought upgrading star cards or having the charges not reset was a terrible idea. Like way to add more useless grind to the game I suppose for the former and the latter is just... stupid for so many reasons.

Finally I don't remember it being this way at launch but heroes not being map dependent is stupid as fuuuck

Also meta game balance is a shitshow, just joined a game where the enemies had like 6 more teammates. How is that even possible?

5taquitos

The fact that every DLC is a different player count (with none being 20v20) and the fact that there is no system in place to handle switching between modes with different player counts is one of the most baffling things about this game.

It just doesn't make any sense.

The fact that every DLC is a different player count (with none being 20v20) and the fact that there is no system in place to handle switching between modes with different player counts is one of the most baffling things about this game.

It just doesn't make any sense.
Every time I join the Bespin playlist it kicks me to Walker Assault on Cloud City or Sabotage on that dusk map. Every time. Every time the empire loses the former right before the end and the rebels fail to take the third generator in the area with the open bridges for the latter. Every time.

I don't understand how it's even possible outside of horrific objective/map design. I still don't understand how the people who made Battlefield Rush made Walker Assault.

But yeah the way they handled the dlc was bungled to all hell. I wish battlefront 2 (4) gets rid of the paid season pass, just has cosmetic microtransactions and makes all dlc maps the same player count to their base game mode variants. The way it is now is just... awful.

Speaking of awful things, if they wanted to keep the authenticity that they strives so hard for, walker assault in bespin should have never been a thing. Make it turning point and supremacy only (and make supremacy not suck, just make classic conquest). Who could forget the fateful battle of Jyn Orso vs. the At-At in Cloud City.

One day I'm going to write up all my bitching about this game and it's gonna be 20 pages long.

5taquitos

Looking at the Battlefield 1 patch notes and then comparing them to any patch we've received for Battlefront is incredibly depressing. Makes it feel like this game was made by the JV team.

Seriously, go read the latest BF1 patch notes and compare that to the notes from any Battlefront patch. It's shameful.

Compare it with the Jakku patch, which is about the same timeline for BF1's current patch and it's even more embarrassing.

Looking at the Battlefield 1 patch notes and then comparing them to any patch we've received for Battlefront is incredibly depressing. Makes it feel like this game was made by the JV team.

Seriously, go read the latest BF1 patch notes and compare that to the notes from any Battlefront patch. It's shameful.

Compare it with the Jakku patch, which is about the same timeline for BF1's current patch and it's even more embarrassing.
Its like 10 people right now on SWBF, I just wish they were more conservative and just fixed things and didn't try to add anything like hero traits.

It sort of was the JV team too, while during the height of development the majority of DICE was working on it, but it's been a core distinct team within DICE that "owns" Battlefront. I just hope they've cut their teeth well on this first game. They've got an amazing base to work with for the sequel.

5taquitos

Its like 10 people right now on SWBF, I just wish they were more conservative and just fixed things and didn't try to add anything like hero traits.

It sort of was the JV team too, while during the height of development the majority of DICE was working on it, but it's been a core distinct team within DICE that "owns" Battlefront. I just hope they've cut their teeth well on this first game. They've got an amazing base to work with for the sequel.
I know it's like 10 people now, but look back at the earliest patch notes, when it was still a full team. They pale in comparison the BF1 patches, even back then.

MADGAME

I got my Sonic Imploder kills by throwing it at a player, preferably a group, then while it is in flight fire a shot or two at players in the blast radius. That softens them up for the kill when the imploded goes off. I don't like the card, but the contract wasn't so bad.

Alucrid

Banned
There are 4 tapes. Looks like there was a glitch where the HUD was not registering the 4th one. I have seen that happen once while I was playing as well.
i want to say that's not true because i've never seen more than 3 tapes on either side and from what i've looked at online there's only ever 3

Alucrid

Banned
I think there's four tapes in the beginning? 2 on each side?

...no? random youtube screen grab

VSJO4yV.jpg

Ozorov

So now that all DLC-packs are out and we have played Rogue One for a week. You season pass-holders whats your rating in the DLCs?

My favorite is probably Outer Rim, it felt like the most well-done one, and I'm not even a fan of the smaller modes. I think the free maps that we had, Jakku, Survivors of Endor and Twilight on Hoth easily is better then 99% of the ones we got in the DLCs.

My ratings:
Outer Rim: 7
Bespin: 5
Death Star: 5
Rogue One: 4

5taquitos

So now that all DLC-packs are out and we have played Rogue One for a week. You season pass-holders whats your rating in the DLCs?

My favorite is probably Outer Rim, it felt like the most well-done one, and I'm not even a fan of the smaller modes. I think the free maps that we had, Jakku, Survivors of Endor and Twilight on Hoth easily is better then 99% of the ones we got in the DLCs.

My ratings:

I'm pretty much in agreement. Outer Rim was by far the most fun, and the Jabba maps were fantastic. It also had a well-made, polished game mode, and while the heroes were clearly selected due to the low amount of work that had to go into making them, they were fun to play.

Bespin was cool at first, but the maps are lifeless. Also some serious jank started to be introduced with the updates around Bespin.

Death Star was meh after running the trench a few times, but I haven't gone back since the new modes were added. I'll have to try that tonight maybe.

Scarif is lol

RyanW

I think Battlefront having so many different experiences in terms of team sizes is what really hurt the DLC:

- Outer Rim was 8v8 focused
- Bespin was 12v12 focused
- Death Star was 16v16 focused
- Scarif is I think 14v14?

Add that to the 6v6, 8v8(at launch), 10v10, 10v10 with bots on both sides, and 20v20 this game really struggled with its identity and trying to find its core experience. I just hope in Battlefront 2 they condense some of that.

Plus while the last 2 modes they introduced sounds good on paper they are a mess. Battle Station's infantry phase is a huge clusterfuck and part of Infiltration suffers from map design. When your big new mode that's suppose to be a huge selling point for that pack isn't fun, then you're in for a rough time.

Edit: Plus no additions were made to Missions for each new DLC pack. That's a bit disappointing.

5taquitos

Yeah, Battlefront 2 should stick to 32v32, 16v16, and 8v8. Just build any mode around one of those three player counts and things will be much better.

Finally I don't remember it being this way at launch but heroes not being map dependent is stupid as fuuuck

Please tell us again for a 4th time.

Silly complaint in the first place, if heroes were map dependent then when exactly would heroes like Bossk, Dengar or Nien Nunb even show up? There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the choice to the player.

My ratings:

Twilight On Hoth sucks donkey dick, then again so do the Death Star maps. Bespin maps aren't too hot either but they're ok outside of objective balancing. Comparing the classic BF Hoth, Death Star and Bespin maps to the new ones is fucking depressing. Or comparing Supremacy to Conquest. Or the old class system to the cards...

Anyway when do I get more than 2 loadouts? Ever?

Also things like the Rebel Officer and pilot suit and stuff, those are separate from your head right?

Please tell us again for a 4th time.

Silly complaint in the first place, if heroes were map dependent then when exactly would heroes like Bossk, Dengar or Nien Nunb even show up? There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the choice to the player.

On the maps that they were designed for like in the beta and the previous two games? Then again Nien Nunb is still fucking laughable as a hero choice it doesn't bother me too much that people are allowed to pick someone else.

MMarston

After reading Ward's thoughts on the maps and just because I feel like it, I'm gonna reinstall Lucasarts Battlefront 2 and report back how said maps feel layout wise compared to now.

After reading Ward's thoughts on the maps and just because I feel like it, I'm gonna reinstall Lucasarts Battlefront 2 and report back how said maps feel layout wise compared to now.

I just played BF2 conquest earlier this year and I swear to god they hold up better than the maps we have now. Most BF3 maps suffer from either being way too open with very little cover (twilight) or just unfun clusterfucks (outpost beta suffers from both things in supremacy, death star maps suffer from this too)

then the few maps that seem well made design-wise like the bespin maps suffer once you play an objective game mode, because the games usually end in the same exact spot each time

also bf2 somehow did saber combat better, considering this one locks you in to an animation that you can't even freely move in along with just generally feeling clunkier. Like as Luke my force pushes don't do shit about 3/4 of the time

edit: idr if bf2 had a bespin map, the bespin map i was referring to was the one in bf1

Also round draws for heroes v villains is so stupid, it should reveal enemy villains for like a minute or so and then end

MMarston

I just played BF2 conquest earlier this year and I swear to god they hold up better than the maps we have now. Most BF3 maps suffer from either being way too open with very little cover (twilight) or just unfun clusterfucks (outpost beta suffers from both things in supremacy, death star maps suffer from this too)

then the few maps that seem well made design-wise like the bespin maps suffer once you play an objective game mode, because the games usually end in the same exact spot each time

also bf2 somehow did saber combat better, considering this one locks you in to an animation that you can't even freely move in along with just generally feeling clunkier. Like as Luke my force pushes don't do shit about 3/4 of the time

edit: idr if bf2 had a bespin map, the bespin map i was referring to was the one in bf1

Also round draws for heroes v villains is so stupid, it should reveal enemy villains for like a minute or so and then end

Welp, reporting back from duty but mind you, I was playing bots the entire time due to constraints and such so that obviously affects how it felt playing them.

Anyways, the larger, open scale maps generally operate the same way as they are now in that it involves a lot rushing head on. That said, just like I remembered, there's way way more open space and options for maneuverability whereas the current Battlefront involves a lot of chokepoints. The only downside is that there's a whole lot of fucking nothing in these BF2 open spaces such as Hoth which ends up in a shit show.

More importantly for urban maps, it also involves a lot more thought for using heights and balconies. This is why I really like the Bespin DLC and the vanilla Tattooine maps because plenty of that returns there.

Yeah I'm sure some aspects don't hold up as great as I remembered them to but overall I don't see how anyone can say the new maps are better than Pandemic's. That being said I agree that the Tantooine maps are the best of the base lot. I find it weird how much love Death Star gets though, I find the maps a boring mess of forgettable corridors, Scarif can't possibly be worse than it.

Also it's kinda silly I need to pay 7k credits to unlock an upgraded hurt contract, this is gonna take forever to unlock all the gameplay related things eh

Anyway what are some tips for dogfighting? I'm sure part of the reason I suck is because the way evasive maneuvers are scripted and on cool down and part of the reason I suck is because there's no way to rebind the flight controls but I also jut plainly suck.

antonz

Decided to test out the new rogue one content tonight and was greeted by the fact apparently Anti-Cheat software on the PC side doesn't work very well. Player by the name of Jagdpanzer87 running around 1 shotting everyone with the basic rebel rifle that is somehow firing unlimited orbital strikes. He had something like 190 kills and 0 deaths before I even quit the map after filing a report.

PrankT

Outer Rim: 8
Bespin: 3 (introduction of disruption)
Death Star: 4
Rogue One: 3

The heroes are the best part of the dlc, and I thought Nien and Greedo were the best heroes added. Too much flying and silly cards were added after Outer Rim for me.

Enthus

Are we expecting the content from this game and the DLC to be ported into the next Battlefront game? I'd hope so, with some adjustments to allow standardized player counts across all planets (40, 20,10, etc.)

Are we expecting the content from this game and the DLC to be ported into the next Battlefront game? I'd hope so, with some adjustments to allow standardized player counts across all planets (40, 20,10, etc.)

I think its been said that the next game will be new trilogy focused, where as Battlefront 1 was original trilogy. So almost all of the environments would be out of place. I cant wait to see the new storm trooper designs and the new locations in Battlefield 2.

Outer Rim: 9
(best heroes, best new mode, best cq map in the game with Jabba's palace, looked great)

Bespin: 6,5
(had some good moments with Bespin, but didn't grab me that much. Disappointing heroes)

Death Star: 8
(before patch a 7, but +1 with added modes. I really like FS, so Death Star was quite enjoyable for me. Good heroes, although Chewie looked a bit rough.)

Rogue One: 7,5
(Although I don't quite enjoy the first phase, I like the new mode. Heroes are excellent and as opposed to others I really like how the maps look and play.)

So, I seem to be a lot more forgiving in rating the Battlefront DLC 😂

Ah some concept art. Do we know if its legit?

Wasn't this in a vid shown at a EA conference?

Almost time for Dogue One, GAF
IMG_4824_zpsowk84vda.jpg

Hahaha

Ozorov

Outer Rim: 9
(best heroes, best new mode, best cq map in the game with Jabba's palace, looked great)

Bespin: 6,5
(had some good moments with Bespin, but didn't grab me that much. Disappointing heroes)

Death Star: 8
(before patch a 7, but +1 with added modes. I really like FS, so Death Star was quite enjoyable for me. Good heroes, although Chewie looked a bit rough.)

Rogue One: 7,5
(Although I don't quite enjoy the first phase, I like the new mode. Heroes are excellent and as opposed to others I really like how the maps look and play.)

So, I seem to be a lot more forgiving in rating the Battlefront DLC ��

Wasn't this in a vid shown at a EA conference?

Hahaha
Yeah looked it up now. It's from Motive Studios

Enthus

I think its been said that the next game will be new trilogy focused, where as Battlefront 1 was original trilogy. So almost all of the environments would be out of place. I cant wait to see the new storm trooper designs and the new locations in Battlefield 2.

I'm pretty sure the only quote was that it would include content from the "new movies", not that it would be exclusively new movie based. One of the biggest complaints for this game was that it only covered one era, so I don't see them letting the Galactic Civil War go.

5taquitos

I'm pretty sure the only quote was that it would include content from the "new movies", not that it would be exclusively new movie based. One of the biggest complaints for this game was that it only covered one era, so I don't see them letting the Galactic Civil War go.

Yeah, just covering the new movies would be another monumental mistake, considering there will only be two to draw from. If they want to address the major content concerns that the first one had, they'll need to use the new movies and OT, maybe Rebels and the PT as well.

Ozorov

Yeah, just covering the new movies would be another monumental mistake, considering there will only be two to draw from. If they want to address the major content concerns that the first one had, they'll need to use the new movies and OT, maybe Rebels and the PT as well.

Considering it probably will release in november it should be only TFA at launch if they would only do the new movies.
They won't

5taquitos

So if I have the choice, which version should I go for? PC or PS4?

PS4. You can find full games for any modes at any time. I would only go PC if you have a monster rig and want to get the best looking game possible. You just won't find many full modes.

Edit: Also hacking is a very real issue on PC, don't really run into those problems on PS4.

Top Bottom