• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Why are people acting surprised Lucas is involved? Almost 5 months old interview: http://www.businessweek.com/article...-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Lucas announced in January that he was engaged to Mellody Hobson, a Chicago money manager, and he has been spending much of his time in her hometown. Even so, he’s attended story meetings for the new film, adjudicating the physical laws and attributes of the Star Wars universe. “I mostly say, ‘You can’t do this. You can do that,’ ” Lucas says. “You know, ‘The cars don’t have wheels. They fly with antigravity.’ There’s a million little pieces. Or I can say, ‘He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.’ I know all that stuff.”

Hell, I've been saying it since the announcement back when I was still employed over there. He never was going to be hugely involved in things, but he wasn't going to be completely removed either.

Anyone who thought otherwise was just being silly. It's too valuable a property to not consider the creator's input, especially in a transitional period like this. They're not obligated to listen to him, so it couldn't hurt to take his input.

Moff

Ian McDiarmid was the best thing about the prequels, I would definitely love to see him as Palpatines ghost in episode VII

Lucas announced in January that he was engaged to Mellody Hobson, a Chicago money manager, and he has been spending much of his time in her hometown. Even so, he’s attended story meetings for the new film, adjudicating the physical laws and attributes of the Star Wars universe. “I mostly say, ‘You can’t do this. You can do that,’ ” Lucas says. “You know, ‘The cars don’t have wheels. They fly with antigravity.’ There’s a million little pieces. Or I can say, ‘He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.’ I know all that stuff.”

WUT

sandcrawler_arrives.jpg

285445-clones_11.jpg

Ian McDiarmid was the best thing about the prequels, I would definitely love to see him as Palpatines ghost in episode VII

I hope whoever plays the new Darth, is in all three movies. I remember thinking before Episode One came out how Darth Maul would be the Vader of the prequel trilogy, but that didn't happen. I get the theme of the prequels is that Palatine has to replace his apprentices before he get's the most powerful one, but it would have been more satisfying to see someone like Maul get killed by Anakin after three movies of causing shit.

WOW that shits all over the canon. Force Ghosts are supposed to be a Jedi exclusive trick. Sith have gotten around it via emotional attachments to objects(I believe) but not like Obi-Wan type ghosts.

As it should.

Nothing in the movies ever denies the possibility.

Pro-tip: the less you go by EU, the better your predictions/expectations will be.

Let the Emperor die!

What is he gonna do, corrupt mini Luke?

According to the Dookkake prophecies: yes.

Jarmel

Banned
As it should.

Pro-tip: the less you go by EU, the better your predictions/expectations will be.

Even in the movies, it's heavily implied to be a light-side only trick. That was the whole point of Obi-Wan taunting Vader in that Vader, as he was, couldn't become a Force Ghost.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
WOW that shits all over the canon. Force Ghosts are supposed to be a Jedi exclusive trick. Sith have gotten around it via emotional attachments to objects(I believe) but not like Obi-Wan type ghosts.
Sounds like it only shits on the EU, which is what they have implied they are fine with doing.

I saw nothing on-screen in those films that implies the nature of Force ghosts, and that they are only for Jedi.

The most I can say is that Vader didn't know about it in ANH (toes Obi-Wan's empty cloak)

Even in the movies, it's heavily implied to be a light-side only trick. That was the whole point of Obi-Wan taunting Vader in that Vader, as he was, couldn't become a Force Ghost.

That's all in your head, not on screen.

There is a vast gulf between what you may infer and what is explicitly defined.

Sounds like it only shits on the EU, which is what they have implied they are fine with doing.

I saw nothing on-screen in those films that implies the nature of Force ghosts, and that they are only for Jedi.

The most I can say is that Vader didn't know about it in ANH (toes Obi-Wan's empty cloak)

This guy gets it.

As it should.

While it's a shitty story idea, it's not clear Play Play Tine didn't figure out the trick.

I want to know why he waited 30+ years to reveal himself.

I would have been on that shit ASAP like Obi Wan Kenobi.

jett

D-Member
It's sad they can't make up a new a villain. I wonder if this new trilogy will be even more referential to the OT. More C3P0 and R2D2 shenanigans for everybody!

Moff

It's sad they can't make up a new a villain. I wonder if this new trilogy will be even more referential to the OT. More C3P0 and R2D2 shenanigans for everybody!

the article says that palpatine will train the new villain, his role may be minor, which I hope, just like with luke, han and leia.

Jarmel

Banned
So the Force Ghost thing may actually fit inside the EU depending on how it's done. According to the SW wiki stuff, Sidious did somehow learn how to do it and was the one who taught Vader. If they attach Sidious's ghost to his holocron or something then it wouldn't be breaking any lore I guess.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I thought the slimy, naked clone Emperor in Dark Empire was indulgent... But nonetheless kind of cool. That was a much darker, comic vision of the series. It really surprised me when Episode I came among and it brought into clear view that Star Wars was a Disney-esque "family" adventure all along.

Snake

They should have the new sith find holographic recordings(Holocrons?) instead of interacting with a ghost.

This is what I was hoping for.

I don't care if they take strong liberties with the EU or even vague areas of the film canon, but I don't like the idea of the Emperor still being around in any real way. A hologram gets you the best of both worlds.

Triforks

Banned
Well, Palpatines's master Darth Plageus was attempting to cheat death, who's to say Palpatine wouldn't look into the practice as well? It looks like the sequel trilogy will tie everything together if true.

RE: The inability of Sith to come back as Force ghosts is not actually EU, as it came directly from Lucas even if it wasn't explicitly stated in the movies. In fact, there were plenty of Sith spirits all over the EU prior to the release of ROTS.

However, as a few of you have stated, Episode VII is a whole new ballgame. The only "canon" it needs to adhere to is the prior films.

Hex

Banned
This is true.

Although, the prequel Palpatine should have been an unwitting clone of Sidious. Would have tied up a lot of loose details that are otherwise superfluous or head-scratching.

There were alot of rumors of that going around at the time. It would not be a far fetched idea.

I'm ok with sith ghosts, much better than potential fucking clones. Besides, the sith use every dirty trick the force would allow, so why wouldn't/couldn't they return as ghosts?

Cutebrute

If Abrams and Co. really do bring a Ghost Palpatine to the film, then I imagine this sequel trilogy will suffer the same problems as the new Trek series: awkward, unnecessary tie-ins to the past which can turn off new viewers.

Who said ghost Kenobi can't show up? Ewan McGregor has already said he would be up for it.

Dude...Alec Guinness is old Kenobi...are we just retconning everything?

If that's the case, why bother casting Mark, Carrie and Harrison?

These are easy.

Jedi don't do it because they are enlightened. Only stick around to help others and then they move on or something.

Sith are power hungry.

There are no rules yet established, but they are easy to write.

But you know they will milk Luke talking to Yoda in counsel (for fan service) in a scene or two.

Because Alec can't play him and I don't know if Ewan plans on coming back :p

I'm not the one to answer those questions anyways, I'm not the one bringing him back. Like I said earlier, I would have preferred new villains.

All I'm saying is I prefer ghosts to clones (more sneaky too).

Edit: What Dookkake said seems reasonable.

Top Bottom