• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Sith ghosts are fine by me.

I remember the Tales of the Jedi comics (I think) where Exar Kun ran into Freedon Nadd's spirit who turned him to the dark side. Thought that was cool back in the day.

mjc

If Abrams and Co. really do bring a Ghost Palpatine to the film, then I imagine this sequel trilogy will suffer the same problems as the new Trek series: awkward, unnecessary tie-ins to the past which can turn off new viewers.

To be fair, I don't think Abrams would shit on SW the same way he shit on Trek in some aspects. He openly admitted he wasn't a big Trek fan when he took the job, while he's a bigger SW fan in contrast. He'd want to do it justice.

To be fair, I don't think Abrams would shit on SW the same way he shit on Trek in some aspects. He openly admitted he wasn't a big Trek fan when he took the job, while he's a bigger SW fan in contrast. He'd want to do it justice.

Its almost as if he were auditioning to direct Star Wars.

VII is the most important movie of our lifetime. It must be good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Might be an economic motivation to do it that way.

You make a big dumb formulaic movie that plays better overseas than the original style ever would. Put in lots of references to the original, to legimitimize how much you are changing it, to attempt to pander to old fans (which backfires) and for the general audience to go "ha. I get that from pop culture".

Grows the audience, and all the old fans are built in... Even if they come to hate it.

If I'm being cynical, It's probably an easier way to make bank than attempt the legitimate Star Wars film we all want.

If Abrams and Co. really do bring a Ghost Palpatine to the film, then I imagine this sequel trilogy will suffer the same problems as the new Trek series: awkward, unnecessary tie-ins to the past which can turn off new viewers.

The past references don't turn off new viewers - they don't recognize that they're references, or at least, don't understand why they matter, until Abrams gives them a different in-movie context.

The people upset by references in the Star Trek movies are Star Trek fans. pre-existing ones.

Most everyone else either liked how they were remixed, or never caught it in the first place.

Looking at what he did with Star Trek is absolutely a decent idea if you want a sense of how he's going to handle the legacy aspects of this movie. Completely fair game.

edit: To be fair, audiences are likely to be more familiar with Star Wars references, and these movies aren't blatantly trying to garner completely new audiences, considering Star Wars' audience is already fucking massive, where Star Trek's has plateaued and declined by the time Abrams got it.

But considering the unending popularity of Family Guy, the idea that thoughtless references will actually hinder the popularity of the film seems naive.

(I don't think any references to past movies will be "thoughtless" at least not in any way that references to Star Wars made in Empire & Jedi were "thoughtless")

lol. Sometimes I love your posts.

i5tImEr69QAXc.gif

It really is important though. I can not think of another film with so much riding on it.

It really is important though. I can not think of another film with so much riding on it.

Not really.

As long as it doesn't have a completely shit script/direction, Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd or Hayden, it'll be considered an upgrade/success.

I don't think this movie needs to knock it out the park, because of how unwatchable the prequels were.

If these were the first movies since ROTJ, I'd agree with you.

I wouldn't.

If this movie does poorly (which it won't) Disney wouldn't be in trouble. Lucasfilm wouldn't be in trouble. Star Wars as a brand that moves all manner of merchandise wouldn't be in trouble.

It's why I think it's crazy that people namecheck "Star Wars" when they want to tick off their nerd credentials. There's absolutely nothing nerdy about Star Wars. It's maybe the most money-making single piece of popular culture for over three solid decades.

There is almost nothing riding on the success of Star Wars except more success.

I mean, Sir Alec is dead, so I don't have a problem with Ewan being there so long as he's properly aged and is trying to mimick Alecs presence instead of being young Obi-Wan.

It stands to reason that shit will be going down and Luke will find reason to consult his old master.

But yeah if they just dress him up as Ep3 Obi-Wan and throw the Ghost filter on him ala Anakin then that'll be some shit.

I mean, Sir Alec is dead, so I don't have a problem with Ewan being there so long as he's properly aged and is trying to mimick Alecs presence instead of being young Obi-Wan.

It stands to reason that shit will be going down and Luke will find reason to consult his old master.

Rather they used some tech and a voice actor capable of impersonating Alec

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They didn't even make him the Force Ghost in the retconned ending of Return of the Jedi, so it doesn't even make sense within the context of George Lucas's new vision.

It doesn't make sense to use the only living actor who played the character to play the character again?

Hex

Banned
McGregor is fantastic, I can find no fault in it as long as they find some way to explain it.
See, IF they had to have fucking Hayden in the Return of the Jedi update, they should have old Anakin regress slowly into young Anakin and then they could have had some grounds or something.

"Ben?"
"I see you're troubled, Luke."
"I'm confused."
"Search your feelings"
"I feel like you uh... You look different."
"Felt like switching it up today!"
"Oh, so you're going flipmode on 'em."
"Yeah. Flipmode. Flipmode is the squad."

mattp

lol so ewan mcgreggor ghost and palpatine ghost?
this movie is going to be so fucking bad
i'm so glad i've come to terms with everything star wars being horrible besides the original trilogy

lol so Darth Vader is going to be Luke Skywalker's fucking DAD? And his teacher is a fucking PUPPET?

Whatever man, they should have never made a sequel. :)

I heard a suggestion awhile ago that said thematically, lots of shit would have been cleaned up if Naboo wasn't Naboo but was just Alderaan.

Dunno if it woulda helped much, really. That's kinda like making sure the bed is made while the house is burning down, but still.

thefro

I heard a suggestion awhile ago that said thematically, lots of shit would have been cleaned up if Naboo wasn't Naboo but was just Alderaan.

Dunno if it woulda helped much, really. That's kinda like making sure the bed is made while the house is burning down, but still.

Well, the Phantom Menace should have been about Obi-Wan primarily and Darth Maul shouldn't have died. Those are the two big issues.

I see the guy has finally made a video for Episode 2... so I'm excited to watch that.

Now it's being reported that Ewan McGregor will be Force Ghost Obi-Wan in Episode VII.

http://latino-review.com/2013/08/obi-wan-kenobi-set-to-return-star-wars-episode-vii/

EDIT: According to article, McGregor also wants to do a standalone SW film.

Just age him a pinch, or at the very least grey out his hair and it should work fine.

I just hope they don't have these returning ghost characters in the film too much- let the new cast have some breathing room.. they will already be 'competing' against returning characters that are still alive in the films.

Canonically no.

They already broke Canon when they inserted Hayden Christensen into Jedi (because obviously Luke is supposed to know Anakin by his youthful visage)

At least with Ewan, it may have looked a bit better because the makeup work and beard work was good enough to overlook...

Mariolee

They already broke Canon when they inserted Hayden Christensen into Jedi (because obviously Luke is supposed to know Anakin by his youthful visage)

At least with Ewan, it may have looked a bit better because the makeup work and beard work was good enough to overlook...

I believe George described the change as logical canonically because the Force Ghost is supposed to represent the Jedi at his best or something.

I believe George described the change as logical canonically because the Force Ghost is supposed to represent the Jedi at his best or something.

Then that doesn't make sense. The Anakin we saw at the end of RotJ looked like Ep 3 Anakin who was already venturing down the path of the Dark Side. Old Anakin was the way to go, he overcame the Dark Side and sacrificed himself. Something I don't think Anakin as a young man would have done.

Lucas was simply retconning so he could have Hayden appear in RotJ because if kids saw an old guy they wouldn't know it was Anakin.

antonz

So its been apparently confirmed that Episode 7 will be shot on traditional 35mm film and not digital.

JJ hasn't been big on the idea of digital so it makes sense but its so wild as we are getting a new trilogy shunning digital and planning to use far more practical effects and real world locations versus what we got in the last trilogy.

Certainly going to be interesting to see. 1,2,3 being super cgi then 4,5,6,7,8,9 going the more practical route

well that does not make a lot of sense... Wouldn't his best moment have been his redemption at the end of Jedi? I mean, consider that it was his anger at the loss of his mother that spiraled him towards the darkside so the form they showed was never the best... If anything it should have been Phantom Menace anakin in that regard. I mean whats better than the Yippee kid.

Loxley

If the rumors about McGregor are true, than consider me very surprised. The guy seems to be grateful and relieved that he managed to have a successful career after the prequel trilogy ended, and has never really seemed to have been proud of any one of those films (who could blame him?).

The fact that he's - apparently - willing to come back to Star Wars after avoiding doing major blockbusters like the plague for nearly a decade (with the exception of his random role in Jack the Giant Slayer) is great. He was and still is the only thing about those movies that I genuinely liked, so I'm all for seeing him return as Obi-Wan in some capacity.

So its been apparently confirmed that Episode 7 will be shot on traditional 35mm film and not digital.

JJ hasn't been big on the idea of digital so it makes sense but its so wild as we are getting a new trilogy shunning digital and planning to use far more practical effects and real world locations versus what we got in the last trilogy.

Certainly going to be interesting to see. 1,2,3 being super cgi then 4,5,6,7,8,9 going the more practical route

It's okay. They'll just release Special Editions that replace CG assets with puppets and models.

Top Bottom