• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
From watching a few JJ Abrams films this past week, I have deducted that his take on Star Wars will most likely feature the following:

1. A lot of running.
2. Tight shirts.
3. Exactly one black person.

From watching a few JJ Abrams films this past week, I have deducted that his take on Star Wars will most likely feature the following:

1. A lot of running.
2. Tight shirts.
3. Exactly one black person.

He said that when doing Star Wars he's going to do Star Wars, and not film it like Star Trek or make it too similar. Whether he goes through with that we'll see. Then again the new ST movies had some similarities to Star Wars... whatever. I guess time will tell!

He said that when doing Star Wars he's going to do Star Wars, and not film it like Star Trek or make it too similar. Whether he goes through with that we'll see. Then again the new ST movies had some similarities to Star Wars... whatever. I guess time will tell!

That actually worries me. Directors should be hired for their own style, not to emulate or imitate others. You wouldn't hire Picasso to do a Rembrandt, so why would I want Abrams to emulate Lucas?

They should have chosen someone they liked the unique style of, not someone who agreed to imitate the previous style. I'm not bashing Abrams or his style, just the fact that he is trying to specifically deviate from his previous style to appease fans or the studio. That's artistically bankrupt of him.

Derr.

Because these are the final chapters of Lucas's story. JJ was hired to do the master's bidding.

The superfluous spin-off films will be for directors chosen for their individual quirks.

Interesting.

Title would be nice.

Abrams is really good at remixing/appropriating things. He's not as BLATANT about it as Tarantino, who makes that part of the appeal - "Look at what I'm remixing. I'm fucking GREAT at it, aren't I?" but he definitely looks at why the property works, goes into that properties past, and mines moments/visual cues/filmmaking styles, and updates them for his own storytelling purposes.

So if you want someone to do a Lucas impersonation - get the guy who is pretty good at doing a Spielberg impersonation already, and have him shift the couple steps sideways.

The spinoffs will be stylistically riskier, yes. In fact, I'm betting the Zack Snyder doing a Seven Samurai remake set in the Star Wars universe is still happening, and will be the movie he directs after Man of Steel 2 - leaving Man of Steel 3/Justice League to Affleck.

That actually worries me. Directors should be hired for their own style, not to emulate or imitate others. You wouldn't hire Picasso to do a Rembrandt, so why would I want Abrams to emulate Lucas?

They should have chosen someone they liked the unique style of, not someone who agreed to imitate the previous style. I'm not bashing Abrams or his style, just the fact that he is trying to specifically deviate from his previous style to appease fans or the studio. That's artistically bankrupt of him.
As far as the type of coverage a director gets and the kind of editing used, I think Star Wars does it's own specific thing. You wouldn't want to veer to differently in another direction otherwise it would be jarring.

Anyway, I don't think the way Lucas uses the camera, his blocking or the editing has even been the problem with his Star Wars movies. It's always been the writing. Beside, Lucas and Abrams are similar with what they do with the camera and in the editing room, so I don't think there would be any kind of stylistic clash anyway.

Lucas is by far one of the worst mainstream directors in terms of filming conversations. He just films over the shoulder and flips back and forth.

Hopefully Abrams brings some fresh ideas as to how to compose/film scenes.

And I hope the rumours about the force ghosts thing is untrue (young Obi-Wan returning, along with the emperor's force ghost).

Lucas is by far one of the worst mainstream directors in terms of filming conversations. He just films over the shoulder and flips back and forth.

Hopefully Abrams brings some fresh ideas as to how to compose/film scenes.

And I hope rumorsours about the force ghosts thing is untrue (young Obi-Wan returning, along with the emperor's force ghost).
Abrams likes to edit in camera a bit (like Spielberg) and my guess is that he'll do more of that. Kershner did it some in Empire and it looked realy good.

Lucas isn't that bad in terms of filming conversations. He does what every esle does in terms of the coverage he gets. It's the words coming out characters mouths that are the issue.

bengraven

But he filmed Star Trek like Star wars...

I thought Into Darkness' dialogue was cringe worthy and awful the second time I saw it. I hope they don't continue the Lucas trademark of terrible dialogue by trying to remain too faithful.

Triforks

Banned
I am hearing something pretty solid might be coming down the newswires later today. A whole lot of something, potentially.

About time, if true. We need casting announcements. I say we're about a year off from the title. The titles for the prequels were announced about 6-7 months out if I recall.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I thought Into Darkness' dialogue was cringe worthy and awful the second time I saw it. I hope they don't continue the Lucas trademark of terrible dialogue by trying to remain too faithful.
Yet again, he did a great job with a bad script. That Spock/Kirk reactor scene though....ugh. I admit the whole time I was watching stid, I was thinking of what he'd do with SW.

One last note, I’m hearing there is a major casting news (not what I reported above) dropping very soon via Lucasfilm. It could even be officially announced today… but I promised that I wouldn’t say a word on it.

They have heard what I heard, then :)

Hamill/Fisher/Ford would have to be confirmed at the MINIMUM for anyone to really pay attention, as almost the entirety of the entertainment press already takes it for granted that it's happened. It's just baaaarely this side of "not news."

Personally? I'd like if Josh Holloway was cast as a bastard kid of Solo's that nobody knew existed.

(it's not going to happen)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Judah Friedlander as the abominable result of that time Han got drunk and hooked up with Chewie's sister.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'd be happy with both those choices.
That guy was great in Magic Mike. He seemed like Lawrence Oliver compared to Channing Tatum's acting, pretty much.

I prefer a not so famous actor. Gosling would be kind of distracting, and he's not so young either (not that he looks old though).

Plus that Pettyfer guy is freaking hot.

is there a dearth of young blonde actors?

armie hammer for skywalker jr. (yeah armie hammer for everything). if somebody suggested this to disney though they'd have a heart attack. lone bomba :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Robbler

Banned
what is Star Wars Rebels?

New animated series set between EpIII and IV done by most of the Clone Wars team with a look based on the Ralph McQuarrie concept art. Starts next fall on the Disney Channel before moving to weekly episodes on Disney XD.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
New animated series set between EpIII and IV done by most of the Clone Wars team with a look based on the Ralph McQuarrie concept art. Starts next fall on the Disney Channel before moving to weekly episodes on Disney XD.
Oooo cool

Kard8p3

Just now catching up on all the news and rumors that are surrounding this movie so far. So Palpatine force ghost is pretty much a given at this point right? Ian Mcdiarmid is certainly up there in years but I'd still love to see him portray the character again and with a decent director this time.

Using Palpatine in the new trilogy is as stupid as using Magneto as the villain in every original X-Men movie or re-using Lex Luthor all the time for Superman. They need to move on (imo).

Is there going to be a 3rd Death Star as well?

Top Bottom