• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Cheebo

Banned
Well it isn't much of a rumor when we know it will be in the film. There is literally 0% chance the Falcon won't be in the movie with Harrison Ford reprising his role as Han Solo.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Use it for the movie....then move it to Disneyworld, and proceed to make bank from giving tours through it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Will we have an old Chewbacca? Can't have Solo without him.

Measley

Just the fact that they're actually building sets for this movie gives me hope.

All that green screen shit killed any sense of immersion in the prequel trilogy.

What are the chances that Abrams or someone else could do a complete do-over of the prequel trilogy, with better scripts and acting that stays within the framework of the classic trilogy? Think an adult Anakin instead of Jake Lloyd/Hayden Mannequin Skywalker. Think of a prequel outline without Jar Jar Binks. Would Disney give some serious thought? And do you think fans would buy into it if it were done right?

Jarmel

Banned
What are the chances that Abrams or someone else could do a complete do-over of the prequel trilogy, with better scripts and acting that stays within the framework of the classic trilogy? Think an adult Anakin instead of Jake Lloyd/Hayden Mannequin Skywalker. Think of a prequel outline without Jar Jar Binks. Would Disney give some serious thought? And do you think fans would buy into it if it were done right?

You would have to wait till Lucas is dead for that to possibly happen.

You think anyone at Disney would be game at the idea? Would it be a hard sell? I'm just being hypothetical. I know it wouldn't ever happen. But it kinda makes you wonder. The prequels actually killed my interest in these sequels. But alot of people want this to succeed. So much good will going into the prequels, I remember. Who would have thought that Lucas would later flush that down the toilet.

bengraven

Jesus, is the kid who played young Boba a clone of Temuera Morrison or what?

FO46PgB.jpg

240278667_1353113717.jpg

Say what you will about Episode 2, that's pretty spot on casting there.

apparently there is a rumor that
obi wan has a daughter or grand-daughter
. Also Arndt was apparently let go because his script was focusing too much on the younger characters and Han, Luke and Leia.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

I heard about that. At this point, it's whatever. Obi-Wan never had a daughter or grandchild, even if Disney thinks they can retcon that little factoid. The Disney films are simply more Expanded Universe content.

DodgerSan

Lucasfilm has already said they are not following the EU. The post-Return of the Jedi EU is erased from canon pretty much. The EU was only read by a very tiny niche of Star Wars fans anyhow.

This is assumed, but do you have a source where this was actually said?

apparently there is a rumor that
obi wan has a daughter or grand-daughter
. Also Arndt was apparently let go because his script was focusing too much on the younger characters and Han, Luke and Leia.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

I think you mean focusing too much on the younger characters INSTEAD of Han, Luke and Leia. The rumor was that JJ wanted the latter.

I read a more recent rumor that says that Arndt wasn't fired-- he just has been moved on to write Episode 8. And it's backed up by the fact that Arndt isn't connected to any projects in the future right now. Makes sense too... I think they crunched way too much with Episode 7 and this gives them more breathing room for the next one. And if Arndt wanted to make a story about the kids, he'll get his chance with Episode 8.

Rehynn

I think you mean focusing too much on the younger characters INSTEAD of Han, Luke and Leia. The rumor was that JJ wanted the latter.

I read a more recent rumor that says that Arndt wasn't fired-- he just has been moved on to write Episode 8. And it's backed up by the fact that Arndt isn't connected to any projects in the future right now. Makes sense too... I think they crunched way too much with Episode 7 and this gives them more breathing room for the next one. And if Arndt wanted to make a story about the kids, he'll get his chance with Episode 8.

That would be pretty cool, I was really sad to see Arndt taken off the project. Here's hoping he gets a shot at Ep. 8.

kW2j8UZ.jpg

Lucasfilm launched their new website yesterday and posted this very interesting picture.

If you look closely, it includes what appears to be new concept art of the Falcon and some canyon-y terrain.

Far Far Away Radio has a breakdown of the participants.

Now, who do we have sitting in the room? Thanks to Lucasfilm.com’s new team page, it is easy to pick out most of the meeting’s participants. On the far left, in the white shirt, is Jason McGatlin, SVP, Physical Production. McGatlin is also serving as an executive producer on Episode VII. Behind him, in red, is Kim Libreri, SVP, Technology.

The gentleman in black in the center of the picture is the one who, to me, confirms this as an Episode VII meeting. He is Rick Carter, the Academy Award Winner who will serve as a Production Designer for the seventh Star Wars film. Carter was not involved in the Star Wars Saga prior to being brought on for Episode VII. Carter’s appearance should probably serve as a red flag for identifying any photo as “sequel-related”.

Next, of course, is Kathleen Kennedy, President. And it appears that John Knoll, Chief Creative Officer/Senior Visual Effects Supervisor, Industrial Light & Magic, is seated next to Kennedy.

That could be JJ's head on the foreground, but it's impossible to confirm.

He's a stunt and action coordinator and actor. He did work on The Old Republic and a bunch of high profile movies previously. So maybe he is the stunt coordinator for the new trilogy?

But... why put it on Youtube? Perhaps he put it together as a piece in an attempt to get the job? I figured it was worth some discussion considering he is a professional in the industry.

I hope that the new trilogy does something new instead of relying on Han, Luke and Leia. I'm keeping an open mind. This might turn out good, might turn out bad. I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It might sound stupid, but I have always wondered whether they would show a character who can control his lightsaber with his mind, not that you have one person fighting a lightsaber while another controls it 30 yards away, but having a 1 on 1 duel where someone uses the force to block attacks with the saber. They did this in a few star wars games way back when and it was awesome,

PzWv8wk.png

Given that Mayhew doesn't do much outside of being Chewbacca, Episode VII begins filming in May and this event is held May 23 - 26, then, it's probably safe to assume Chewie is in this movie.

adg1034

PzWv8wk.png

Given that Mayhew doesn't do much outside of being Chewbacca, Episode VII begins filming in May and this event is held May 23 - 26, then, it's probably safe to assume Chewie is in this movie.

My money's on R2-D2. He is the only confirmed returning character at this point...

B.K.

PzWv8wk.png

I'm surprised he's able to. The last time I saw him on TV, he barely could move.

Top Bottom