• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Nicktendo86

The one and only thing that has me excited for this movie is special effects supervisor Chris Corbould which, hopefully, means we aer getting practical special effects rather than cgi nonsense for everything.

thefro

In-universe, someone claiming to be Darth Vader might work well. Aside from the good guys knowing it's just faking, though large percentage of civilian population might be scared enough to join the faction that fakes Darth Vader...

EDIT no comment on the credibility of the rumor. Just wondering how it'd work in-universe.

A fake Vader might be feared amongst the Imperial ranks, but I doubt it would inspire much loyalty beyond that. Vader's record as far as military operations we see on screen isn't very good. Heck, I think Hoth's the only battle he actually wins and he botches that pretty badly and lets most of the rebels escape. Robert E. Lee he isn't.

Keep in mind some of the imperial generals in Episode IV basically act like he's a joke until he starts force-choking people, so claiming some sort of stellar EU battle record for him that only happens off camera doesn't make sense either. And nobody knows he's Anakin Skywalker (sans the Emperor) so any Clone Wars stuff won't count either.

Not sure why the civilian population would even care. A fake emperor they might fear.

The one and only thing that has me excited for this movie is special effects supervisor Chris Corbould which, hopefully, means we aer getting practical special effects rather than cgi nonsense for everything.

Well, Abrams' track record with practical effects and set constructions is pretty fucking good. Go watch some of the making-of doco's for Star Trek Into Darkness. A lot of effort put into sets which are very impressive indeed.

Then we had this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kennedy-announces-return-practical-effects-594929
"The conversation we're having all the time now about Episode VII is, 'How much CGI?'" Kennedy told the audience at this weekend's Star Wars Celebration Europe event in Essen, Germany. "We're looking at what the early Star Wars films did; they used real locations with special effects. So [for Episode VII] we're going to find some very cool locations, we're going to end up using every single tool in the toolbox."

Kennedy continued, "I was amazed yesterday and looking at what the fans are doing," referring to some of the presentations and displays at Celebration Europe. "Using model makers, using real droids, taking advantage of the artwork that you can touch and feel -- we want to do that in combination with CG effects."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-J-Abrams-Wants-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Feel-Real-39498.html
"I would say we are working really hard to make a movie that feels as emotional and authentic and exciting as possible."

“It’s been nice see that how important it is and to be reminded how important it is to so many people. We all know that [creator George Lucas'] dream has become almost a religion to some people. I remember reading a thing somewhere, someone wrote about just wanting [the new film] to feel real; to feel authentic. I remember I felt that way when I was 11 years old when I saw the first one. As much of a fairy tale as it was, it felt real. And to me, that is exactly right.”

A fake Vader might be feared amongst the Imperial ranks, but I doubt it would inspire much loyalty beyond that. Vader's record as far as military operations we see on screen isn't very good. Heck, I think Hoth's the only battle he actually wins and he botches that pretty badly and lets most of the rebels escape. Robert E. Lee he isn't.

Keep in mind some of the imperial generals in Episode IV basically act like he's a joke until he starts force-choking people, so claiming some sort of stellar EU battle record for him that only happens off camera doesn't make sense either. And nobody knows he's Anakin Skywalker (sans the Emperor) so any Clone Wars stuff won't count either.

Not sure why the civilian population would even care. A fake emperor they might fear.

Loyalty would be to the Empire as a whole, not to just Vader. Would they be using Vader as a new Emperor or will he just be a figurehead as he was previously?

Nicktendo86

Plot twist: At the end of Episode VII "Darth Vader takes off his mask just to reveal himself as......Obi-Wan! He faked his death together with the original Darth Vader and took his place after Episode 6 (we never saw Obi Wans body, remember he just vanished!)

I hope all of the above is wrong and the movie just starts a new type of story with some throwback to the OT...

thefro

Plot twist: At the end of Episode VII "Darth Vader takes off his mask just to reveal himself as......Obi-Wan! He faked his death together with the original Darth Vader and took his place after Episode 6 (we never saw Obi Wans body, remember he just vanished!)

Obi-Wan in Episode 4 was really Obi-Wan's clone Ben, the real Obi-Wan froze himself in carbonite after Episode III.

andycapps

Well, Abrams' track record with practical effects and set constructions is pretty fucking good. Go watch some of the making-of doco's for Star Trek Into Darkness. A lot of effort put into sets which are very impressive indeed.

Then we had this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kennedy-announces-return-practical-effects-594929

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-J-Abrams-Wants-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Feel-Real-39498.html

They're saying all of the right things. I am a big Abrams fan, so I hope that they can nail a few things... A good amount of shooting in locations instead of in front of green screens, practical effects mixed with CGI, decent acting, and competent scripts.

Macmanus

the idea of a vader imposter might be interesting for a comic or a videogame, but I dont see it in a main saga movie

Isn't this a similar concept to the Timothy Zahn trilogy? Or actually the subsequent Hand of Thrawn sequels? Why don't they just bring in Grand Admiral Thrawn in general?

Vader was just some old wizard with breathing problems. No big deal.

Rumor's garbage. There's a reason nobody ran with it from a couple months ago.

Same reason Deadspin didn't update with the report from reddit about the NFL's massive point shaving program in place at EVERY team.

Because sometimes reddit bullshit is just bullshit.

The hope has been that the 1 year anniversary of the sale would be the day they dump what official info they choose to dump, including a title-teaser or something.

Lord knows if that's actually happening.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
if Cumberhatch is revelead at the end of VII as the imposter wearing the Vader suit...

somone holds my hands please...I'm feeling nauseous.
Cucumberpatch is Vader from an alternate universe. His first line to Luke will be "shall we begin?"

Musolf815

If someone is in the Vader suit, I want him to be like Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass. Just some kind of crazy revolutionary figure (maybe it's because I just finished the series and the character is on my mind).

Snake

Did anyone ever post this rumor from a few months ago?
http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/1gnyq3/episode_vii_unconfirmed_spoiler_from_a_guy_who/
The source of the rumor is Steven Greenstreet, a documentary filmmaker, who was apparently working on the set of Boardwalk Empire when he claims to have been given this information:

Could be total bullshit, but I just thought it was sort of interesting.

I'll have Supershadow forward this rumor to Lucas ASAP.

Branduil

If someone is in the Vader suit, I want him to be like Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass. Just some kind of crazy revolutionary figure (maybe it's because I just finished the series and the character is on my mind).

LOL if Star Wars starts taking writing cues from Code Geass. Well, at least it would be hilarious instead of boring.

Harrison Ford needs to let Indiana Jones go the way Indy let the cup go and grabbed his father's hand in Last Crusade. I tried to find an animated GIF, to no avail.

Interestingly, Ford also is said to have wanted to see how Han would develop over “more than just” Episode VII, indicating that the character will indeed be around for most of the new trilogy and will not be killed off in the new film as some fans have speculated.
Wat. Han should have died in Episode VI. Since it didn't happen, he should die in Episode VII >_<

bengraven

I think the villain will end up being a secret apprentice to Vader or Palpatine.

And I'm OKAY with that, as long as it's not a clone of either.

Guy.brush

They're saying all of the right things. I am a big Abrams fan, so I hope that they can nail a few things... A good amount of shooting in locations instead of in front of green screens, practical effects mixed with CGI, decent acting, and competent scripts.

They said the same about INDY4 though. Lots of practical effects, we will keep the CG in check, blabla.
Back then it was Marshall, Spielberg and Kennedy trying to reassure the oldschool fans. And look how Indy IV turned out: CG ape vine swinging, CG nuke fridge, CG cliffs, CG waterfalls, CG ufos, CG temples.
Hell even the very first shot was a CG chipmunk.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Indy IV is one of those movies that I cannot believe a guy like Spielberg would let out into the world. I couldn't believe he was in control of that thing at all. But, with that in mind and a good script and practical effects, I'm up for V.

Loxley

Because this needs to be posted in every Star Wars thread at at least once.

neogafsto3r.gif

Top Bottom