• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

antonz

New picture of Mark Hamill in London. Looks like he has lost a lot of weight and growing out that beard
BmP-DpJIgAA9t3f.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bearded Master Luke will be a nice parallel to Bearded Knight/Master Obi-wan.

I hope that's as far as the connections go, though. The rumor about Obi-wan's
daughter
better not be true. Same with
Tatooine. There's so many locations in Star Wars - why revisit a place that was already in a good portion of the movies?

Cheebo

Banned

daughter
Tatooine. There's so many locations in Star Wars - why revisit a place that was already in a good portion of the movies?
Tatooine is not a rumor really. We know they have been filming on location in a desert for second unit material. It would be very odd if they decided to create a new desert location, that would be very odd.

Blader

daughter

Because it's an important place for the Skywalkers who are the centerpiece of the whole saga.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Problem is she looks nothing like Leia anymore due to plastic surgery. I'm almost betting she'll be in a sick/frail role.

30 years after the original, I kind of doubt the Obi Wan daughter angle, cause if they went with anyone's kid they'd probably go for a younger role. She would be at least in her 40/50s. Han and Leia though, maybe, but this means they would be playing younger roles than both really are.

I'd think if Luke is on Tatooine it's because they'll play this location as being an ever better location to hide in, being even more of a dangerous/far-west kind of place than when the empire had troops on it, so Luke might be there hiding since he knows the place well. I doubt it would be significantly featured in the movie beyond being the location where we first meet Luke.

Problem is she looks nothing like Leia anymore due to plastic surgery. I'm almost betting she'll be in a sick/frail role.

30 years after the original, I kind of doubt the Obi Wan daughter angle, cause if they went with anyone's kid they'd probably go for a younger role. She would be at least in her 40/50s. Anyone's kids would be too old really.

I'd think if Luke is on Tatooine it's because they'll play this location as being an ever better location to hide in, being even more of a dangerous/far-west kind of place than when the empire had troops on it, so Luke might be there hiding since he knows the place well. I doubt it would be significantly featured in the movie beyond being the location where we first meet Luke.

Maybe after the war, Luke decided to take it easy and be a moisture farmer like Owen and Beru.

Pictured here:
v2DrR2o.jpg

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's kind of sad that after all these years nothing comes close to Tatooine as far as being a robust, general purpose location. Every other location is either highly specific to a particular scene or event, or is a CG ridden mess few care about besides hard core fans. The exception being the Death Star and its various capital ships, which obviously don't count here.

But I guess its just a result of everything else that was wrong after Empire, just like we don't really have any more interesting characters to pool from other than those introduced in the original first two films.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

This photo made my inner child do a cartwheel. And Carrie looks great, but she's eternally cute.

I just hope they give Peter an actual role here instead of voice stuff, he'd be great.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oscar Issac and Adam Driver, that sounds like a good cast.

thefro

Here's the original source on the Han Solo news which also has a lot of other casting rumors.

Apparently there's a table read scheduled for tomorrow so we should hear a lot of news shortly.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/star-wars-cast-rumors-oscar-isaac-adam-driver-john-boyega/

I’m hearing that Inside Llewyn Davis star Oscar Isaac is in line for a major role, as is Adam Driver and Attack the Block’s John Boyega, both of whom have been rumored. There is also a young girl, and that might be Maisie Richardson-Sellers, an Oxford-trained actress whose casting has been rumored in recent weeks. The new cast members will join returning Star Wars alums Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. The big surprise, I’m told, is that Ford has a gigantic role in the first of the next three films. Disney hasn’t been commenting on any of this, and today’s no different. Stay tuned.

Cheebo

Banned
FYI I been hearing over and over and over that Maisie Richardson-Sellers is playing
The grand-daughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

antonz

Man if they follow through with that Obi Wan Granddaughter bullshit that is going to be so damn lame.

Obi Wan is like Anakin without all the insecurities etc. Obi Wan in Canon had a love of his life who he was willing to give up the order for but she knew how much he wanted to be a Jedi so she never asked and they went on with their lives while never forgetting each other.

She gets killed in front of him by the Sith attempting to destroy his Jedi resolve but unlike Anakin he doesn't break and this is during the Clone Wars. His whole reason for going to Tatooine was more or less penance and to keep Luke safe. Not much Penance if he just went on with his life and had a wife and kids etc. while sunning on tatooine

Rookje

Hollywood can make it work. Trust me. She just had to lose weight, which she did. She looks acceptable. Lightning, makeup, wigs/hair extensions, costumes, CGI etc. She'll look great.

Oscar-Isaac-008.jpg

Oscar Issac is a great actor. Great pick up, if true. I hope he won't be a villian though.

Man if they follow through with that Obi Wan Granddaughter bullshit that is going to be so damn lame.

Obi Wan is like Anakin without all the insecurities etc. Obi Wan in Canon had a love of his life who he was willing to give up the order for but she knew how much he wanted to be a Jedi so she never asked and they went on with their lives while never forgetting each other.

She gets killed in front of him by the Sith attempting to destroy his Jedi resolve but unlike Anakin he doesn't break and this is during the Clone Wars. His whole reason for going to Tatooine was more or less penance and to keep Luke safe. Not much Penance if he just went on with his life and had a wife and kids etc. while sunning on tatooine

Yeah exactly. It seems sacrilegious that Obi-Wan or even Luke would have a family. The fate of the Jedi has rested on both of them.

Cheebo

Banned

All the rumors seem to agree that Kenobi had his family in the years he was hiding on Tatooine. It makes a bit more sense at least, since the Jedi Order was long gone at that point.

I mean even The Hollywood Reporter has stated this is what they hear, when news agencies like that say their sources say it....I think it's safe to say its happening.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yeah exactly. It seems sacrilegious that Obi-Wan or even Luke would have a family. The fate of the Jedi has rested on both of them.
It's pretty consistent if you subscribe to the whole notion of love being what the force was missing in order to be in balance, which is a logical interpretation of the films plus what Lucas has said about the whole balance thing.

Rookje

Random source, but:

The insider claims that

- The full title of the film is ‘ Star Wars: Episode VII – The Order of the Jedi. The film was rumoured to be called ‘A New Dawn’ but that has recently been revealed to be an ‘in-canon’ novel to be released soon.

- Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong’o is also in the cast. She will be playing a character called ‘Asajj Ventress’. Nyong’o was not officially announced in yesterdays report but was one of the first names to have signed up after Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford.

- Daisy Ridley will be playing a member of the Solo Family.

- Max Von Sydow will be providing his voice only to a character that will run right through the new Trilogy.

- Luke Skywalker will be the ‘Obi Wan’ type character of the new trilogy.

- Han Solo is the High Commander of the New Republic

- Leia is now the ‘Queen Regent of the Republic’

- The Big bad is not a Sith Lord

Its expected that the Title and Story details will be announced in a press release on Sunday May 4th.

That seems remarkably fanfic-ish. I don't believe it. The movie title itself is horrible, and is phrased poorly. "Order of the Jedi" would be better, but it's still bad. It would be like it episode ii was "The Attack of the Clones."

"High Commander" and "Queen Regent"

Yeah, this is almost undoubtedly nonsense. That rumor surfaced a while ago and I remember laughing at the Game of Thrones titles... can't believe the guy who started the rumor thought reasonable people would buy this bs.

DodgerSan

Regarding the possibility of characters such as Ventress or Ahsoka. Putting aside for one moment the aging process of Togrutas or magical Dathomir Nightsisters, consider the following:

Star Wars can be considered a fairy tale
Sleeping Beauty is a fairy tale
Poison apple enchanted sleep = carbonite

It's not like they've done something like that before after all, with a kiss from a princess.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Regarding the possibility of characters such as Ventress or Ahsoka. Putting aside for one moment the aging process of Togrutas or magical Dathomir Nightsisters, consider the following:

Star Wars can be considered a fairy tale
Sleeping Beauty is a fairy tale
Poison apple enchanted sleep = carbonite

It's not like they've done something like that before after all, with a kiss from a princess.

If they had freezed Ventress or Ahsoka in Clone Wars, it would be a possiblity. So its quite unlikely.

mattiewheels

It seems like there's an awful lot of major characters in this one, and then you have the original three to devote a good amount of time to, apparently. I guess the setting has everything to do with it, training Jedi or whatever, but I hope they didn't cram too many characters in at the risk of underdevelopment.

maharg

idspispopd
Or they could just ignore Clone Wars since 99.5% of the movie audience will never have seen a single episode.

I would guess there will be no crossovers anyway, though.

I think there's probably some reason they kept it part of canon, I can see them bringing back one or two characters from the era. Ahsoka is the most obvious candidate, imo, more so than Ventress.

Just because they bring them back doesn't mean they have to require you to have seen Clone Wars. That's not really a barrier.

And neither is their age. Chewbacca was an adult already in the PT era and he's still going to be around in the new trilogy. We know nothing of how alien species age in this universe. Hell, we barely have a good idea of how humans age.

Experien

It seems like there's an awful lot of major characters in this one, and then you have the original three to devote a good amount of time to, apparently. I guess the setting has everything to do with it, training Jedi or whatever, but I hope they didn't cram too many characters in at the risk of underdevelopment.

The original three are the main characters :/ All the new people are background stuff in Episode VII.

DodgerSan

If they had freezed Ventress or Ahsoka in Clone Wars, it would be a possiblity. So its quite unlikely.

Not at all. The fates of those two are unknown right now and anything could happen.

Lucasfilm have been criticised for being TOO OT flavoured in their current marketing and direction. A favourite or too from TCW would keep the new generation engaged as well.

Not at all. The fates of those two are unknown right now and anything could happen.

Lucasfilm have been criticised for being TOO OT flavoured in their current marketing and direction. A favourite or too from TCW would keep the new generation engaged as well.

Actually those two characters are two of my favorite from the Prequel era. I wouldn't mind if those two were in this movie. Either way, I'm just excited for a new Star Wars movie. :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I rather think that booth will show up in Rebels.

Or they could just ignore Clone Wars since 99.5% of the movie audience will never have seen a single episode.

I would guess there will be no crossovers anyway, though.

Clone Wars is part of the official Canon.

maharg

idspispopd
I rather think that booth will show up in Rebels.

I feel like the way they left off Ahsoka's story left her, explicitly, in a pretty good position to survive the events of the OT, so I think there's a non-trivial chance they actually aimed to have her fit in the new trilogy.

Spoilery details:
Renouncing the Jedi and getting as far away as she can leaves her probably safe from the purge, and she is an obvious connection to Anakin Skywalker pre-Vader that doesn't really exist otherwise. There's a lot they can do with that.

Which would be A-OK fine with me. I think she's easily one of the very best things to come out of the PT era. I'm glad I watched Clone Wars because of her.

Into

I hated how in the prequels many Jedi would wear the "sand robes" of New Hope

I always thought they wore that type of clothes in the desert because of the weather conditions, rather than it being "official Jedi attire"

I always thought they wore that type of clothes in the desert because of the weather conditions, rather than it being "official Jedi attire"

You thought right. In the OT, the official Jedi attire was actually Luke's black outfit from ROTJ:

Mark Hamill in "The Making of Return of the Jedi" book said:
During Star Wars, I was in a white floppy rag-doll-type outfit. In Empire, I was in a militaristic-looking khaki costume. Now I wear the black uniform of a trained Jedi Knight.

I hated how in the prequels many Jedi would wear the "sand robes" of New Hope

Yes, but George Lucas decided it was now the uniform of the Jedi, or something. It was a dumb idea of course, since why would they wear a loose-fitting thick robe if they need to fight with a melee weapon? But I don't think Lucas really paid attention to his own previous stories, he just kind of made stuff up as he went along.

Top Bottom