• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You dont need to be force sensitive to use lightsabers correct? Also probably saving other designs for ep.8

Had a fun idea for this one

What if for any other enemy, they're using their usual weapons and combat specialities.

But once they go against a Jedi, they drop everything and suddenly draw up their lightsabers in unison like the fucking Nazgul?

0R9pZL.gif

It wouldn't make logical sense and will be almost Old EU ridiculous, but that would be a badass shot.

prag16

Banned
Ah, around we go again to the irrational prequel hate train.

Christensen is perfectly adequate in plenty of other stuff. He doesn't just objectively categorically suck. If they bring back Vader/Anakin in ghost form it has to be him. Nothing else would really make much sense. If they execute it well, I'm all for it.

ezekial45

Banned
You dont need to be force sensitive to use lightsabers correct? Also probably saving other designs for ep.8

Yep. I for one rather liked that non-force users could wield them rather effectively. So I'm definitely down to see more. Obviously, force users are the best ones to use them, but it's cool to see other use them as well.

Surfinn

Ah, around we go again to the irrational prequel hate train.

Christensen is perfectly adequate in plenty of other stuff. He doesn't just objectively categorically suck. If they bring back Vader/Anakin in ghost form it has to be him. Nothing else would really make much sense. If they execute it well, I'm all for it.

He's not NEARLY as bad as people think he is, but I've seen him in other stuff like Shattered Glass and he's mediocre at best. Guy's just not a great actor, and I don't think he should come back primarily because of that.

I'd only want above average actors in the films moving forward, so I don't want him in the new film, unless he's shown some unknown acting talent no one has see thus far.

Surfinn

Hm, I dont know, I expect him to be more in the background, Emporer style, Not as offensiv and aggressiv like I want those Force Warriors to be.

Emperor was pretty in your face, to me. They slowly built his mythology until he unleashed all of his power in the end of the trilogy.

I knew about Del Toro's role in episode viii, but I'm really intrigued with the casting of Laura Dern. I really hope that her role won't be similar to Max Von Sydow, who I think was wasted in his role.

I'm familiar with several of Laura Dern's roles from David Lynch, but my favorite roles were as Ruth Stoops in Citizen Ruth and Amy from Enlightened.

I'm curious the role that she'd be given. She's so good at playing characters that have been beaten down in life. It's a far cry from the conventional leading women types that actresses from her generation are typically play.

She could end up playing another Ellie Satler type, but I really hope that it's different than that, and that she's not going to end up being wasted like Max Von Sydow, Terrence Stamp, and Christopher Lee.

It would be interesting if they cast her mom, Diane Ladd in this film too, as they've done work with each other in the past. Also, the announcement got me thinking about her father, Bruce Dern, who was in the eco sci-fi film, Silent Running. That film came out before Star Wars, and used similar props to what Star Wars would later use. The robots Huey, Dewey, and Louie have a passing resemblance to the gonk droids in the sandcrawler.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
From set, Pandas confirmed

Gary-e1455904680141.jpg

CbkvaS1UAAAkCSV.jpg

And from Boyegas insta

12748307_737079939761736_157636369_n.jpg

Also from Kasdan

Star Wars screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, who returned for The Force Awakens, is highly excited for the new direction he expects Johnson to take.

“These movies will all be so different,” he told The LA Timesearlier this month, ["Episode VIII" director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he's going to make some weird thing."

“If you've seen Rian's work, you know it's not going be like anything that's ever been in Star Wars. “You couldn't have three more different people than J.J., Rian and Colin [Trevorrow, Episode IX director].”

Quick

Banned
Dat Panda Rey logo. Gonna need a higher-res of it.

At least, I think it's supposed to be Rey in Panda form.

shira

Yep. I for one rather liked that non-force users could wield them rather effectively. So I'm definitely down to see more. Obviously, force users are the best ones to use them, but it's cool to see other use them as well.

I thought Finn was a force user.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I assume that he is one, too. I mean it has to mean something that Kylo felt the Force awakening while looking at him.

I thought he just sensed his indecision, his mind was clouded with doubt

Phasma sensed it too

wetwired

Awesome teaser but based on Hamill's "#still no dialogue" "Rian has more lines than me" tweet it's likely Luke will yet again not see any action on Ep. 8? :( Because you'd think Hamill would have the full script some time ago and wouldn't say that unless he knew he had lines at some point?

Regarding Luke's involvement in TFA, I tweeted this last month at Hamill and was thrilled when he liked it:

https://twitter.com/crowtgamer/status/693250978846478336

It could have just been that day on the set he didn't have any lines

Boke1879

It could have just been that day on the set he didn't have any lines

I thought he was just poking fun at that particular teaser. Luke still didn't say shit and even Rian got to say "cut". That's all I think it is.

Also can i give some speculation? I'm going to go with Rey being a Kenobi theory. I couldn't find the exact image from TFA but this scene in the movie almost mirrored the fight between obi wan and Anakin.

Other parallels are loose but I kinda hope she is.

I thought he was just poking fun at that particular teaser. Luke still didn't say shit and even Rian got to say "cut". That's all I think it is.
Also can i give some speculation? I'm going to go with Rey being a Kenobi theory. I couldn't find the exact image from TFA but this scene in the movie almost mirrored the fight between obi wan and Anakin.
Other parallels are loose but I kinda hope she is.
I think it's more of a visual nod to the Sith duel than a hint to Rey's lineage. I still like the Kenobi theory though.

Boke1879

I think it's more of a visual nod to the Sith duel than a hint to Rey's lineage. I still like the Kenobi theory though.

True, but upon thinking back it would be awesome. In the PT wasn't there a couple of instances where Obi Wan had to return the saber back to Anakin because he kept losing it? Fast foward to ANH. Kenobi gives the saber to Luke. TFA..Rey giving the saber back to Luke.

Of course I'm probably looking too much into it but I think it would be cool to have Vader's grandson and Kenobi's Granddaughter dueling it out in an attempt to restore order.

Grandpa Obi-Wan makes literally no sense.

At the core of Anakin's fall was Anakin falling in love, abandoning a major teaching of the Order, and a shit-ton of stuff that was directly caused by all that.

So, what, immediately after almost killing someone he considers to be his brother, after he directly contributed to the death of almost every Jedi and the subjugation of the galaxy, a stickler for the rules and a traditionalist says "awww, fuck it", and commits the exact same "sin" that started it all? What?

Plus, ok, his kid is just chillin' in space somewhere and is never mentioned... just cuz? Like never a "hey Luke, there's this force sensitive spawn of mine out there all alone" or some shit like that? And what, Luke just stumbles into them/their daughter years later? Or did Ghost Obi-Wan pop and be all like "You know how we told you that you and your sister were the lost hopes? Well, LOL I LIED. I had this chick on da side and we got a whole 'nother lineage up in this shit, who could have helped you out, but lul, dat shit dangerous yo! Thanks for making things all safe 'n shit."

The entire idea shits on Obi-Wan as a character and creates super stupid plot holes. BUT THEY'RE BOTH BRITISH AND USE JEDI MIND-TRICKS

MMarston

At the core of Anakin's fall was Anakin falling in love, abandoning a major teaching of the Order, and a shit-ton of stuff that was directly caused by all that.

So, what, immediately after almost killing someone he considers to be his brother, after he directly contributed to the death of almost every Jedi and the subjugation of the galaxy, a stickler for the rules and a traditionalist says "awww, fuck it", and commits the exact same "sin" that started it all? What?

Plus, ok, his kid is just chillin' in space somewhere and is never mentioned... just cuz? Like never a "hey Luke, there's this force sensitive spawn of mine out there all alone" or some shit like that? And what, Luke just stumbles into them/their daughter years later? Or did Ghost Obi-Wan pop and be all like "You know how we told you that you and your sister were the lost hopes? Well, LOL I LIED. I had this chick on da side and we got a whole 'nother lineage up in this shit, who could have helped you out, but lul, dat shit dangerous yo! Thanks for making things all safe 'n shit."

The entire idea shits on Obi-Wan as a character and creates super stupid plot holes. BUT THEY'RE BOTH BRITISH AND USE JEDI MIND-TRICKS
Well sure but

What if Obi Wan had siblings?

The wait is going to be excruciating. This is going to sound like hyperbole but it's really the truth. It's little things like this that I live for. Like, I sit here and hope I don't die so I get to experience this. I'm excited for life because this in one of the many things I look forward to.

I still think Rey would be best a Kenobi.

Imagine it. One Kenobi lost a Skywalker which lead to SHIT.

Another Kenobi pulls a Skywalker(/Solo) back. Poetry!

The idea behind Obi having children (a theory that I don't personally subscribe to btw) is that Kenobi didn't know he actually had the child. Much like Vader didn't know Luke existed for twenty years or that Leia was his daughter for another 3.

btw, we've already seen Kenobi have a love interest in a canon story. It's not THAT far-fetched for him to not be celibate.

Well sure but

What if Obi Wan had siblings?

Which would be completely out of left field with literally no prior establishment.

The idea behind Obi having children (a theory that I don't personally subscribe to btw) is that Kenobi didn't know he actually had the child. Much like Vader didn't know Luke existed for twenty years or that Leia was his daughter for another 3.

btw, we've already seen Kenobi have a love interest in a canon story. It's not THAT far-fetched for him to not be celibate.

Building such a massively substantial plot element off of a thread in a TV series most people watching the movies have never seen would be a really, really bad idea though. Also, the only reason Vader thought he didn't have children was because he (and almost everyone else) thought they died during childbirth. He didn't just forget he impregnated someone. Doing the same thing again would be silly, and the whole thing still really doesn't make any sense.

The only reason for this would be for some sort of bizarro wish fulfilment. There's really no good reason for any of this to happen, and it would just be repeating one of the biggest mistakes of the prequels all over again (everyone is connected for uh... some reason... but no one remembers/realizes they're connected for uh... some reason). It creates a whole host of logical issues and character/plot inconsistencies for the sole purpose of doing something "cool" or uh... something.

The only things that would make sense with what we've observed so far, is either Luke's daughter, or a character with a lineage not previously established.

Wait Rey is about Ben's age in TFA. Obiwan dies in Episode 4, much before Leia and Han have Ben. So how can Rey be his daughter? Maybe his grand-daughter?

MMarston

Wait Rey is about Ben's age in TFA. Obiwan dies in Episode 4, much before Leia and Han have Ben. So how can Rey be his daughter? Maybe his grand-daughter?

That's what I'm saying.

The likeliest scenario for me in terms of Obi Wan is that Obiwan had a brother/sister/any other relative who was totally clueless about his/her force capability or those damn midichlorians skipped a generation.

Hence, Rey could be a niece?

Otherwise, Rey better come from a new person is what I prefer.

EDIT: Oh and Ben and Rey are 10 years apart actually

munchie64

Having a kid ain't got nothing to do with love.

He's not so much a "stickler for the rules" as he is a fuckin' liar.

The rule Anakin broke was a fucking stupid rule that he didn't see fit to mention (nor Yoda) at any point during Luke's training, too.

I'm betting the man in self-exile on a desert planet who has already fallen in love once might consider indulging in a romantic fling especially considering he's got nothing to do but watch Anakin's whiny kid get taller and reflect on what idiots their entire order was.

MMarston

I'm totally in the minority and this is pretty much impossible considering the iconography, but I just want the Jedi to be done by the end of this trilogy.

Just pull a "Jedi is an idea" thing.

My only problem with Rey having all new characters as parents is why go through the all trouble of hiding her lineage if her parents have no significance to us as the viewers?

If they're going to invent a new bloodline for her, they have to make that bloodline really important (like she's the great great great great great great great great great great great great great granddaughter of the first Jedi or something) or it feels like a waste.

I'm totally in the minority and this is pretty much impossible considering the iconography, but I just want the Jedi to be done by the end of this trilogy.

Just pull a "Jedi is an idea" thing.

Nah, I'm with you.

I'm going further in that I don't want there to be any Skywalkers after this. The line should end with Luke. Rey can be adopted by him or something maybe. She can have his name. But their line should end with Episode 9.

They've just kinda sorta fucked everything up pretty consistently for the last 100 years. Maybe it's time to take a seat on the bench for the rest of eternity.

Top Bottom