• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Avixph

Can't wait for the knights of Ren to be cast

TFA-Knights-of-REN-GIF.gif

Let's gooooo
Wow I never noticed that Kylo is the only Ren with a light saber. Could he be the only one of the Knights of Ren that can use the force?

Awesome teaser but based on Hamill's "#still no dialogue" "Rian has more lines than me" tweet it's likely Luke will yet again not see any action on Ep. 8? :( Because you'd think Hamill would have the full script some time ago and wouldn't say that unless he knew he had lines at some point?

Regarding Luke's involvement in TFA, I tweeted this last month at Hamill and was thrilled when he liked it:

https://twitter.com/crowtgamer/status/693250978846478336

Cptkrush

Awesome teaser but based on Hamill's "#still no dialogue" "Rian has more lines than me" tweet it's likely Luke will yet again not see any action on Ep. 8? :( Because you'd think Hamill would have the full script some time ago and wouldn't say that unless he knew he had lines at some point?

Regarding Luke's involvement in TFA, I tweeted this last month at Hamill and was thrilled when he liked it:

He's probably just having a bit of fun. I'm sure he has a script

Wow I never noticed that Kylo is the only Ren with a light saber. Could he be the only one of the Knights of Ren that can use the force?

Never thought about it because it never crossed my mind. That makes sense though. That would be too crazy if all of them were force sensitive.

Which brings me to the conclusion that the rest of the knights are just hype men.

Avixph

Never thought about it because it never crossed my mind. That makes sense though. That would be too crazy if all of them were force sensitive.

Which brings me to the conclusion that the rest of the knights are just hype men.
Also probably why they might be dead and Snokes being a complete fraud.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Thank goodness Gareth Edward's Rogue One is out later this year to make the wait until 2017 easier. Speaking of Edwards, Godzilla 2 will be out about five months after Episode VIII, yesssss.

Edit: Just realized how funny is it that Edwards and Trevorrow are indie directors who both got their big breaks working on dinosaur blockbusters before they each got signed on to work on their own Star Wars movies?

He's probably just having a bit of fun. I'm sure he has a script

I hope so, ha.

Edit: Just realized how funny is it that Edwards and Trevorrow are indie directors who both got their big breaks working on dinosaur blockbusters

Whooooaaaaaa whoa whoa whoa whoawhoa WHOA.

Whoa.

Now I know what you were trying to do there, I understand the comparison, but hey:

GODZILLA IS NOT A DINOSAUR.

-griffy-

Banned

He's clearly joking about the start of production video, since Rian Johnson actually speaks in it and they just show a shot of Luke with no dialog.

Yeah. Kennedy confirmed she was returning before the film was even released.

So stupid. The hype over Phasma is ridiculously artificial, I have ZERO interest in her character, she was as shallow and throwaway as Hux. So is there a deleted scene where Han changes his mind after telling Finn to kill Phasma by shoving her into a trash compactor? JJ obviously didn't find her interesting enough to let her have an expanded role, but no, let's contrive a reason to make a new Boba Fett just because people like Gwendolyn Christie in GoT and her silver trooper suit looked cool in the trailers or something.

denx

So stupid. The hype over Phasma is ridiculously artificial, I have ZERO interest in her character, she was as shallow and throwaway as Hux. So is there a deleted scene where Han changes his mind after telling Finn to kill Phasma by shoving her into a trash compactor? JJ obviously didn't find her interesting enough to let her have an expanded role, but no, let's contrive a reason to make a new Boba Fett just because people like Gwendolyn Christie in GoT and her silver trooper suit looked cool in the trailers or something.

yo I want to see more of Phasma don't kill me

Think it will be a bit bad if they have some random actor pop up and somehow try and convince us it is Anakin, by getting them to somewhat look like Hayden without actually being him, if Hayden is still alive and willing.

I severely hope they keep Christensen away from Star Wars. Ahmed Best is on record as saying that "he's done his damage" in regards to whether he would do any future Star Wars projects. Hopefully Christensen will be as equally gracious. Force Awakens helped cleanse the bad taste left from the prequels. Bringing back the prequels will only agitate the people that Disney was trying to bring back into the fold. If this current trilogy, along with the spinoff films, maintain competent writing, directing, and acting, the prequels are only going to become more marginalized by comparison.

They should just keep Vader as Vader, and should do so only sparingly. And as much as I like Ewan McGregor, I don't want to see him cropping up in these films either.

Toothless

Sweet that Laura Dern is in it. I've always liked her.

I'm not sure the video confirms no time skip, since it's likely they shot that around the same time they were shooting the end of TFA. Didn't they do pickups at the same time of the VIII Skellig scenes?

And if we really need to see Rey and Luke's first meeting, I'd be up for up a prologue scene and then the opening crawl, jumping ahead a couple years. I just really want a time skip in some manner :(

Whooooaaaaaa whoa whoa whoa whoawhoa WHOA.

Whoa.

Now I know what you were trying to do there, I understand the comparison, but hey:

GODZILLA IS NOT A DINOSAUR.

uppity scoffing noise Well of course he's not really a dinosaur now, he's the result of an irradiated Godzillasaurus:

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzillasaurus

But seriously, even Takashi Shimura's character says in Gojira '54 that Godzilla is literally a dinosaur which fed on radiation.

Lore expert! :p

No, he's technically not exactly a dinosaur in Edward's movie since he has gills and in the Legendary universe kaiju aren't mutations created by radiation, they're simply pre-existing super species which are adapted to it. Ultra nerd mode off.

Thanks for the follow, btw! Have always enjoyed your movie posts.

He's clearly joking about the start of production video, since Rian Johnson actually speaks in it and they just show a shot of Luke with no dialog.

Ok, I figured but the nervous cynic in me still has to be sated.

He already did tho

I mean anything significant, like an involve exchange with one of the characters. I love Ewan as an actor, and I'm not blaming him entirely for the prequels, but he brings alot of unnecessary baggage with him.

I think explicitly using anything prequel related is stirring up a hornet's nest that doesn't need to be disturbed in the first place.

MMarston

uppity scoffing noise Well of course he's not really a dinosaur now, he's the result of an irradiated Godzillasaurus:

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzillasaurus

But seriously, even Takashi Shimura's character says in Gojira '54 that Godzilla is literally a dinosaur which fed on radiation.

Lore expert! :p

No, he's technically not exactly a dinosaur in Edward's movie since he has gills and in the Legendary universe kaiju aren't mutations created by radiation, they're simply pre-existing super species which are adapted to it. Ultra nerd mode off.

THE DEEPEST LORE.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

He's just trolling as we are still waiting for him to speak. This time around Hamill will probably have a major role like Ford in TFA.

They should just keep Vader as Vader, and should do so only sparingly. And as much as I like Ewan McGregor, I don't want to see him cropping up in these films either.

He already has. I don't want Christensen to return either but I think both Lucasfilm and the general public know that McGregor's Obi-Wan was the only portrayal worth retaining for the future. I wouldn't expect any other prequel actors (aside from McDiarmid and other OT cast) to make any more SW appearances.

They will have to do something with Anakin and Obi-Wan, it depends on whether they change the appearance of the Force ghosts. In the art book they designed a Vader ghost that was a human face half-covered in machine parts that would phase in and out of the Vader mask. If they did something that obscured the face they wouldn't need Christensen, who sadly can't act.

Peru

Who kicked you in the nuts wearing a Phasma mask? Who knows what she'll become. She's one of several characters spread around the universe of episode 7 that will return, so what? She could become an interesting character or remain a background villain, nothing happened in the first to ruin or shape her character definitively.

PsychBat!

Banned
Who kicked you in the nuts wearing a Phasma mask? Who knows what she'll become. She's one of several characters spread around the universe of episode 7 that will return, so what? She could become an interesting character or remain a background villain, nothing happened in the first to ruin or shape her character definitively.

OR

She could go the same route as Boba Fett. She's currently in that area right now, so she might have a larger role in VIII or die off in a pathetic manner (like Boba Fett).

While I might not agree or understand his hatred of Phasma, Phasma is still classified as a character who is insanely popular for no reason for doing absolutely nothing. Like Boba Fett.

And people hate him for no reason other than he's popular.

Xun

And if we really need to see Rey and Luke's first meeting, I'd be up for up a prologue scene and then the opening crawl, jumping ahead a couple years. I just really want a time skip in some manner :(
I'm actually expecting something like this to happen.

Luke: "Let's begin"

*opening crawl*

cdyhybrid

He's just trolling as we are still waiting for him to speak. This time around Hamill will probably have a major role like Ford in TFA.

He already has. I don't want Christensen to return either but I think both Lucasfilm and the general public know that McGregor's Obi-Wan was the only portrayal worth retaining for the future. I wouldn't expect any other prequel actors (aside from McDiarmid and other OT cast) to make any more SW appearances.

They will have to do something with Anakin and Obi-Wan, it depends on whether they change the appearance of the Force ghosts. In the art book they designed a Vader ghost that was a human face half-covered in machine parts that would phase in and out of the Vader mask. If they did something that obscured the face they wouldn't need Christensen, who sadly can't act.

I thought Liam Neeson did a fine job, but he's pretty far removed from the current events - would be a bit of a stretch to bring him back.

Xun

If Anakin returns as a force ghost, I really hope he's older as he was originally in the OT.

Anything to help me forget about the PT is good with me.

FeD.nL

Edit: Just realized how funny is it that Edwards and Trevorrow are indie directors who both got their big breaks working on dinosaur blockbusters before they each got signed on to work on their own Star Wars movies?

Or that Abrams (Star Trek), Johnson (Looper) and Treverrow (Saftety not Guaranteed) all made time travel films. Guess time travel confirmed for Star Wars.

Poona

I thought Liam Neeson did a fine job, but he's pretty far removed from the current events - would be a bit of a stretch to bring him back.

Being the first known force ghost and close to Obi Wan and Yoda could be reason to have Liam involved again. He has said he's interested in returning to Qui Gon should the occasion arise too.

Peru

OR

She could go the same route as Boba Fett. She's currently in that area right now, so she might have a larger role in VIII or die off in a pathetic manner (like Boba Fett).

While I might not agree or understand his hatred of Phasma, Phasma is still classified as a character who is insanely popular for no reason for doing absolutely nothing. Like Boba Fett.

And people hate him for no reason other than he's popular.

Blame the fans, then, don't throw a fit because she's not being killed off on screen.

Or that Abrams (Star Trek), Johnson (Looper) and Treverrow (Saftety not Guaranteed) all made time travel films. Guess time travel confirmed for Star Wars.

"Rey you have a sister... and a brother. Triplets. The force sent you forward In time, from the womb, to save the galaxy."

Being the first known force ghost and close to Obi Wan and Yoda could be reason to have Liam involved again. He has said he's interested in returning to Qui Gon should the occasion arise too.
It wouldn't be impossible to work him back into the Saga films again, but honestly I just don't see it working particularly well, or not feeling completely forced, unless the sequel trilogy goes into some really, really unexpected places (which I suppose is possible). I don't think it's very likely, regardless.

That said, I still really, really hope they go through with an Obi-Wan anthology film with Ewan set between the PT and OT. If THAT happens, not only do I think Liam coming back would be likely, I'd say it's outright necessary.

Poona

It wouldn't be impossible to work him back into the Saga films again, but honestly I just don't see it working particularly well, or not feeling completely forced, unless the sequel trilogy goes into some really, really unexpected places (which I suppose is possible). I don't think it's very likely, regardless.

That said, I still really, really hope they go through with an Obi-Wan anthology film with Ewan set between the PT and OT. If THAT happens, not only do I think Liam coming back would be likely, I'd say it's outright necessary.

Yeah, I'd settle for that. I just want to see Liam back and doing more Star Wars stuff. Really hope the anthology film with Ewan comes true and they bring him on board for that at least for some decent amount of force ghost material.

Yeah, I'd settle for that. I just want to see Liam back and doing more Star Wars stuff. Really hope the anthology film with Ewan comes true and they bring him on board for that at least for some decent amount of force ghost material.
Definitely. Qui-Gon/Liam was kind of wasted on TPM, so I'd love to see more of him in general, and his position as the first Jedi to return leaves a lot of potential to work with. I think a good writer/director could have a lot of fun riffing on Obi-Wan's relationship with Yoda in Empire, while doing something really different and unique with Force ghosts.

Considering that toying around with Force ghosts was a big thing during TFA's development (with stuff like the Anakin/Vader hybrid ghost), I could totally see an expansion to/exploration of the Force ghost part of the mythos playing a big part of future films. This could be a great place to start, by laying a much stronger foundation on what exactly it means to come back, and how it all started.

Nicktendo86

What is Episode VIII is the first SW film to have the opening crawl -after- a prologue scene? :eek:

My bet would be the opening craw about some stuff the first order are up to, camera pans down to the usual ship or shuttle shot, Kylo Ren goes to meet Snoke and they have a quick convo. I THEN cuts to the Luke/Rey scene.

Farsi

I really want to see the Knights in action in the next movie. And then I want to face Luke's wrath for what they did to his academy.

Well we don't know for sure if the Knights were responsible for that. During the academy slaughter vision Rey was about to get attacked and Kylo saved her.

Symbolic sign confirmed, baby Rey is a mass murderer.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My thoughts on the Knights of Ren and that rain scene, to us we know they are most likely the knights of Ren, we hear it once in the film that they exist but to general audiences that was just a cool unexplained rain storm. It would seem to me baffling if they didnt expand on who those characters are because otherwise your general audience goer would be like "Ok...so what the fuck was that about then?" Its a completely isolated incident in the film with no explanation as to who they are or whats happening, you can semi infer if you pay very close attention to the story but star wars is seldom ever that subtle.

We will get more on them in episode 8, I see absolutely no reason we wouldnt.

I already went over my issues with Phasma, but if they can make her a more relevant and interesting character in Ep. 8, great. It would just be easier to lead in to the next movie if she'd actually been treated by Abrams as a character that really mattered in TFA. The trash compactor line felt pretty final and to keep her alive now requires either a clever deleted scene or an "escape from the Sarlaac pit" type side story.

I see you. I'm nodding.

tumblr_nzqeahO4Br1rj8mcho1_500.jpg

latest

Yes, clearly the intent of my post was to seriously theorize time travel for Epidodes VIII and IX and not simply stating a fun similarity which amuses me personally.

FeD.nL

Yes, clearly the intent of my post was to seriously theorize time travel for Epidodes VIII and IX and not simply stating a fun similarity which amuses me personally.

Sorry, my bad. That was my intent too and something that amused me personally. Just gave it the fanboy twist.

Sorry, my bad. That was my intent too and something that amused me personally. Just gave it the fanboy twist.

Ah, my bad as well, I thought you were being snarky.

Honestly there are few things that make me feel more like a kid again than Star Wars and dinosaurs, this is a very fun time for me movie wise.

MMarston

Rey is Shmi Skywalker confirmed.

Someone actually non-jokingly pushed for that idea so hard in the spoiler threads btw.

fr0st

Banned
You dont need to be force sensitive to use lightsabers correct? Also probably saving other designs for ep.8

Cth

I don't see what all the fuss over the trash compactor line is.

I mean, a farmboy, a princess and a space pirate escaped one. Hard to imagine that a trained trooper, with communications equipment couldn't get someone to shut down all the trash compactors on level blahblahblah as well.

EDIT: People get locked in freezers all the time now too. Presumably there's escape levers/hatches as well. What I'm getting at it's not a stretch by any means to figure out a way for Phasma to escape, especially since we didn't see her actually being put in one. Finn's full of hot air throughout the film. Who's to say they had the time to toss her in one anyways? They probably just tied her up and threw her in a closet.

Anyways, similarly, the hate Phasma gets, but the Knights get a pass on baffles me as well.

I'm hyped for all their stories, and yes, I love Fett too. I'm part of the problem :D

Top Bottom