• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes |OT| The best chance to unlock Kylo-Ren

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just encountered my first level 70 7 star leia
completely decimated me

z4chc3na

yup, he was my first 7 star, all my others are 4 max
squad arena tokens are the easiest ones to get I think
I feel like that's slow seeing as I only get 300 daily for my reward plus the 100 for the daily challenge of completing three arena battles

Blank!

yup, he was my first 7 star, all my others are 4 max
squad arena tokens are the easiest ones to get I think

this depends on your server too.

I would say early on (assuming you spend 100 on one cantina refresh):

Cantina (not shipments) > Arena > GW > cantina shipments > hard mode farm

switches to:

GW > Cantina >= Arena > cantina shipments >= hardmode farm (depending on who you're farming, a couple characters have 3 hard mode fights on the cheap)

Once you can start clearing GW on the regular. It certainly helps that the main "stars" of Galactic War (Lum, Poggle, IG-86) have a couple hard mode fights to also speed up on sharding them. IG-86 even has a cantina battle... he's easily the fastest character to get to 7 since he's available nearly everywhere.

(EDIT) I should mention that 7th star is highly overrated considering the investment put into it. You're almost always better off stopping at 5 or 6 star and working on getting another character up to par than finishing just one character off. This obviously changes as you get closer to maxing shit out but as a new player, I can't emphasize how much more important it is to have a diverse roster (for completing all the challenges, getting through galactic war fully, and making progress through LS/DS missions for gear) .

z4chc3na

this depends on your server too.

I would say early on (assuming you spend 100 on one cantina refresh):

Cantina (not shipments) > Arena > GW > cantina shipments > hard mode farm

switches to:

GW > Cantina > Arena > cantina shipments >= hardmode farm (depending on who you're farming, a couple characters have 3 hard mode fights on the cheap)

Once you can start clearing GW on the regular. It certainly helps that the main "stars" of Galactic War (Lum, Poggle, IG-86) have a couple hard mode fights to also speed up on sharding them. IG-86 even has a cantina battle... he's easily the fastest character to get to 7 since he's available nearly everywhere.

Im at the point where I can't beat galactic war cause around the third row I hit a road block of all level 65 and above characters. Not sure if there's a way to make GW easier

Blank!

Im at the point where I can't beat galactic war cause around the third row I hit a road block of all level 65 and above characters. Not sure if there's a way to make GW easier

Depends on your level, the 2 key milestones (IMO) are:

Level 58 - JC rank 5 healing gets a 2nd cooldown reduction. That + saber basic means keeping your team topped off through the vast majority of fights.

Level 60 - Lum rank 6 healing, a 2nd DoT heal.

Prior to those levels, I ran a 3 healer team with Barris (Talia would do in a pinch if she's leveled too) and had pretty good success. The prevalence of Sidious certainly makes this much tougher these days.

You shouldn't lose anyone in the first 6 fights and everything should be off cooldown (or nearly) when you enter the 3rd tier. If you lose anyone due to bad luck or whatever, retreat, mix up the order or whatever, and do it again. The ideal fight involves heavy burst (kill their big damage dealers) and healing turn 1 followed by basic attacks/light damage in order for cooldowns to come back.

Before I had such a large stable of heroes, I would reset if I lost anyone until the last 2-3 fights. Now I can stand losing a character (as long as it isn't Lum/JC, I find them too important early on).

Other key characters:

Dooku - you'll face lots of jedi (especially Lum) he's an auto-lockdown on jedi.
Geo Soldier - damage dealer, fast assist.
Sidious - Fast, self-sustaining, heal immunity can be abused to "waste' enemy AI's turns on heals that don't do anything.

Farming up dooku is probably the hardest where you're at. He'd be a game changer but you're unlikely to have the stars/investment to really make him shine in later GW levels (he'll be one/two shot).

If you have some completely unleveled guys, feel free to send in some fodder just to draw out non-basic attacks so that your A team doesn't have to deal with it. Whenever you see a poe, you can just burn his taunt with a bunch of lowbies. Poggle giving you grief? Send in the randoms to burn his buff.

z4chc3na

Depends on your level, the 2 key milestones (IMO) are:

Level 58 - JC rank 5 healing gets a 2nd cooldown reduction. That + saber basic means keeping your team topped off through the vast majority of fights.

Level 60 - Lum rank 6 healing, a 2nd DoT heal.

Prior to those levels, I ran a 3 healer team with Barris (Talia would do in a pinch if she's leveled too) and had pretty good success. The prevalence of Sidious certainly makes this much tougher these days.

You shouldn't lose anyone in the first 6 fights and everything should be off cooldown (or nearly) when you enter the 3rd tier. If you lose anyone due to bad luck or whatever, retreat, mix up the order or whatever, and do it again. The ideal fight involves heavy burst (kill their big damage dealers) and healing turn 1 followed by basic attacks/light damage in order for cooldowns to come back.

Before I had such a large stable of heroes, I would reset if I lost anyone until the last 2-3 fights. Now I can stand losing a character (as long as it isn't Lum/JC, I find them too important early on).

Other key characters:

Dooku - you'll face lots of jedi (especially Lum) he's an auto-lockdown on jedi.
Geo Soldier - damage dealer, fast assist.
Sidious - Fast, self-sustaining, heal immunity can be abused to "waste' enemy AI's turns on heals that don't do anything.

Farming up dooku is probably the hardest where you're at. He'd be a game changer but you're unlikely to have the stars/investment to really make him shine in later GW levels (he'll be one/two shot).

If you have some completely unleveled guys, feel free to send in some fodder just to draw out non-basic attacks so that your A team doesn't have to deal with it. Whenever you see a poe, you can just burn his taunt with a bunch of lowbies. Poggle giving you grief? Send in the randoms to burn his buff.
thanks for the tips! Besides Dooku everything else seems pretty do-able short term

This game is awesome. I picked this up back in December and haven't stopped playing.

I know there are teams you'll encounter on a daily basis (droid, Poe/dps team, etc) but I like to go against the fold. I've been running a team with one purpose - manipulate the turn meter. I have Phasma as my lead, ST Han, Old Ben, Lumi, and Kylo Ren. I am always outclassed in power but I seem to hold my own pretty well.

I also want to star farming for Teboo and Nute to do a stealth team. I want to throw in Leia as well but I don't have her.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This game is awesome. I picked this up back in December and haven't stopped playing.

I know there are teams you'll encounter on a daily basis (droid, Poe/dps team, etc) but I like to go against the fold. I've been running a team with one purpose - manipulate the turn meter. I have Phasma as my lead, ST Han, Old Ben, Lumi, and Kylo Ren. I am always outclassed in power but I seem to hold my own pretty well.

I also want to star farming for Teboo and Nute to do a stealth team. I want to throw in Leia as well but I don't have her.

I wish farming characters was faster. Once you decide on a character to farm, you can look forward to months of farming before that character can be used. :\

Blank!

I wish farming characters was faster. Once you decide on a character to farm, you can look forward to months of farming before that character can be used. :\

Depends on where they're located and how many stars the need to be "usable". Poggle is easy to use at 4 stars since his buff is 95% of why you use him. Ditto Phasma and a few others. A lot of the big DPS characters are usable at 4-5 stars too, but the lack of stars can make them more burstable on defense (or unlucky on offense)... you'll be able to climb ranks but have a harder time keeping them. Faster characters tend to have less of an issue.

Unless their gear requirements are bonkers, I can usually devote the majority of my energy to gear farming and get him to epic in a day. Day 2 will get me 2nd/3rd tier epic unless there's one of those 50+ gear slot stumbling blocks. I don't bother with them unless they halt gear progression (currently doing Rey's -_-).

I really wish there was a place to use the other characters on your roster. Even just a free play mode with no rewards. At this point I wait until I get a new character somewhat decent then try to do a challenge with them. Works great given there's no penalty for failure with challenges.

DSN2K

been playing on Bluestack last week or so occasionally when I didn't want to look at my phone. It runs pretty well for the most part. SOme graphical issues with shadows on certain stages but besides that it looks fine.

p9Ib.jpg

z4chc3na

For the life of me can't get past 5-F dark side battle on hard. The Jawas all attacking at once on the second battle is cheap as hell

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
So hard to buy characters in the cantina. Those cantina tokens are hard to come by. Currently have Poe at 4 star. Should I star him up again or get Qui Gon?

Blank!

So hard to buy characters in the cantina. Those cantina tokens are hard to come by. Currently have Poe at 4 star. Should I star him up again or get Qui Gon?

Tough call. Qui Gon is currently a lot more useful but starts at 3 stars and it's a LONG way to 7. He's one of those characters that, unfortunately, needs all the stars because he tends to be a focus-fire target.

Then again... so is Poe. I personally find 5 stars about the cutoff between useful and unusable in arena. Poe can certainly do his thing at 5 stars but I find since getting him to 6 + passive, he's more likely to survive one additional attack than normal which always helps.

I'd take a hard look at your arena team/etc. and make the call for yourself. You certainly don't NEED to run Qui Gon, but he's pretty splashable in most comps.

For the life of me can't get past 5-F dark side battle on hard. The Jawas all attacking at once on the second battle is cheap as hell

Level up more. You're going to need crazy high damage and/or stuns (dooku/daka). Don't bring a healer, they're pointless. Get a high level ally to help too (Maul or someone with a good AoE is great. Ventress is great). But yeah, stuns and burst damage are the way to go. If you stun a jawa, move onto the next target to kill. Speed down is also really good in regular fights.

Just as a thought experiment, how does this sound for a crit team?

Sidious (Leader)
Stormtrooper Han
Greedo
Lando
Jedi Guardian / Lum

Han is basically a sacrifice to the alter of turn meter while Greedo and Lando wreck shit while benefitting from Sid's crit chance bonus. Jedi Guardian is the admittedly weird one who I want to try to see if her ability lock can be useful and because she's pretty. Replace with Lum if she just isn't carrying her weight.

Here are the updates for today.

New Characters
  • General Grievous has been added to the Shard Shop. This is the only place that this character can be obtained.
  • The daily login character for March will be an all new unit that recovers quickly from debuffs and deals potent AoE damage.

General Updates
  • Lando Calrissian is no longer Chromium Pack exclusive and has Shards available from Cantina Battles 1-E and 5-F.
  • Changed description on Barriss Offee’s Force Healer ability to say that the health equalization portion of the ability will still affect characters who have heal block on them.
  • Added player XP awards to the Credit and Training Droid Events.

Character Balance Changes
IG-100 MagnaGuard
  • Abilities Reworked
  • Basic: Electrostaff Assault
  • Base: Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 30% chance to inflict Offense Down for 2 turns.
  • Special 1: Disruption
  • Base: Deal Physical damage to all enemies with a 50% chance to remove 30% Turn Meter. MagnaGuard gains 5% Turn Meter for each Jedi enemy, plus an additional 25% for each enemy that Evades this attack.
  • Unique: Relentless Assault
  • Base: MagnaGuard has +20% Counter Chance. In addition, at the start of each of its turns, if MagnaGuard has not been damaged since the end of its last turn, it gains Speed Up until the start of its next turn.

Royal Guard
  • Abilities Reworked
  • Basic: Force Pike
  • Base: Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 50% chance to inflict Speed Down for 2 turns. If Royal Guard has more than 50% Health, this attack has a 50% chance to also Stun the target for 1 turn.
  • Special 1: Imperial Phalanx
  • Base: All allies gain Defense Up for 2 turns and Empire allies gain Health Up for 2 turns. Royal Guard has a 25% chance to gain 25% Turn Meter. (Cooldown 5)
  • Unique: Unyielding Defender
  • Base: At the end of each turn, if any other ally took damage that turn, Royal Guard gains 5% Turn Meter. In addition, Royal Guard Taunts for 1 turn whenever another ally falls below 50% Health.

Asajj Ventress
  • Fixed a bug where the Offense Up buff would expire immediately if Asajj scored the killing blow that granted the buff.
  • Changed her Unique ability's third upgrade to grant Critical Chance Up instead of Defense Penetration Up (which was being incorrectly labeled as Advantage in combat).

Kettch

I've picked up both at 4*, but I'm going to be focusing on Qui-Gon until he's done. The speed bonus is just so huge for me, as getting the first kill or two decides matches. Poe seems less useful now that others can consistently go before him.

Aselith

General Updates

• [*]Lando Calrissian is no longer Chromium Pack exclusive and has Shards available from Cantina Battles 1-E and 5-F.

It is so fucking lame that they keep putting double shard points in the Cantina. You only need one put someone else on the second one.

It is so fucking lame that they keep putting double shard points in the Cantina. You only need one put someone else on the second one.
There's a huge difference between the two though. Both have the same shard drop rate, 1-E is good for new players since it's unlocked early and costs less energy per run, but 5-F is better for late game players as it drops much more credits per energy as well as better training droids and a much higher chance at tier 3 ability mats.

Now that said, if you want Lando and have 5-F unlocked absolutely farm that one.

Blank!

Lando worth farming or keep upping Geo Solider?

There is a Scoundrel's event coming up, so there may be some worth in farming it up. I have a hard time believing it'll be scoundrels only though, since there's only like 6 farmable scoundrel's atm? Seems kind of stupid... but maybe it won't require a full team.

Stealth greedo nerf/buff as well. Seems really stupid to me but whatever.

Grevious exchange rate is lol worthy. The shard shop makes absolutely no sense. The whales who have shards to spare don't NEED character shards and will be able to 7 star Grevious like that. Everyone else? Fucked. I'm guessing they'll end up cycling Grevious out of shard shop at some point and make him available elsewhere, then put another whale-exclusive character there in his place. Shitty practice though.

Aselith

There's a huge difference between the two though. Both have the same shard drop rate, 1-E is good for new players since it's unlocked early and costs less energy per run, but 5-F is better for late game players as it drops much more credits per energy as well as better training droids and a much higher chance at tier 3 ability mats.

Now that said, if you want Lando and have 5-F unlocked absolutely farm that one.

It would be better to farm the lower one because you get more shards and thus you'll get the character faster. Unless you're really hurting for training droids, the money works out to like 45k in total which is meh. Even 1 extra shard isd worth 45k imo

It would be better to farm the lower one because you get more shards and thus you'll get the character faster. Unless you're really hurting for training droids, the money works out to like 45k in total which is meh. Even 1 extra shard isd worth 45k imo

You will save somewhere between 2 to 3 weeks so I guess. With 1 refresh a day (240 energy) you'd be forfeiting 60k credits a day and about 11k worth of training droid credits. Also 30 tokens a day which is only 5 extra shards for every 13 days or so. It adds up, but not a huge loss.

The real loss in my opinion is the extra tier 3 ability mats. Those are fairly hard to come by outside the challenges 3 days a week. But depending on your roster depth may not be necessary.

Galactic War really irks me.

In what universe is a final mission of full 7 stars with purple gear and level 68 across the board appropriate for a blue gear'd party of 4-5 stars and level 58?

I've heard it's based on Arena, but that enemy is far harder than anything I've ever seen in Arena. I basically can't even hit them, and even without a speed leader they are going 2-3 times per time I can.

Today is the 3rd day in a row that I've been presented with that as the final battle.

In what universe is a final mission of full 7 stars with purple gear and level 68 across the board appropriate for a blue gear'd party of 4-5 stars and level 58?

I've heard it's based on Arena, but that enemy is far harder than anything I've ever seen in Arena. I basically can't even hit them, and even without a speed leader they are going 2-3 times per time I can.

Today is the 3rd day in a row that I've been presented with that as the final battle.

Only Level 68s? The one I had 2 days ago was a team of all 70s. My highest is a 62. It didn't go well, even after burning 2 teams of scrubs before sending in my A Team.

evangd007

Consider yourself lucky; I usually get the impossible fight at the eighth.

edit: Haha, today, like clockwork, 7* 64 Lumi and Sid on the eighth fight. I'm 53.

Seigyoku

I have never managed to win Galactic War and at this point despair that I ever will. Probably doesn't help that I'm 70 but my highest level character is a 4* 59 Sidious, and my "most powerful" character is a 5* 56 Luminara, but C'MON!

Pejo

I agree, Galactic War is pretty much unwinnable. Anymore, I'm lucky if I can make it through the midpoint every day to collect my 400 war bucks.

Also, it took me forever to figure out how Grievous was unlocked. I didn't even know there was a "shard shop". That's basically ultra endgame stuff where you convert extra shards to other shards (I think at random?) I think it doesn't even unlock until you have a 7* character.

What a crock of shit! Grievous was one of my favorite characters that came out of the prequels. Looks like I can give up on getting him or wait for the "Pay 99.99 to unlock Grievous and Greedo at 3* and get 20 exp droids!"

I don't like that some things in this game are locked behind the obtuse mechanics. I think Marvel Future Fight generally does a better job of the same thing by at least seeming more fair at the surface.

Iceman829

The thing I posted awhile back was just something I saw a dev comment about how GW should work. They also mentioned how it's currently broken and they are still trying to fix it. It's terrible that GW is randomly preventing certain players from advancing. Magically my GW has gone from super sweaty to more of a breeze lately. I have maybe 1 or 2 matches that I sometimes need to toss canon fodder out or sub in some players.

Some cool things I've been able to accomplish recently have been:

Finally reach lvl 70
3* all cantina battles
Due to the above 5* Dooku

Grinding materials in the game is dreadful, hopefully the new challenges (whenever the release) make the 20/50 gear items that never drop easier to come by. I'm just working on expanding my cast of characters right now and gear them up to 7/8 and leveling up to 70.

Working on Stormtrooper Han, QGJ and trying to finish IG-86. Decided to pass on Lando at the time being. I'm rotating starring cantina characters between Kylo (6*), Mace (5*) and Dooku (5*). Kylo and Mace seemed to get shards quite easy for me. Dooku is a very slow grind. Decided to leave him at 5* until I finish Mace's next upgrade. It's fun experimenting with different teams in the daily challenges. It's the only mode that lets you play around and not waste precious energy.

GG getting added to the shard store and at those exchange rates sucks, but all I can do is hope they add him via other means at a later date. Being f2p means you have to skimp out on some things to keep your squad competitive. Ever since I took some advice here and stopped buying shard packs with my crystals my team has taken an upturn with all the bonus cantina shards I get.

Always enjoy the tips everyone posts. Hopefully the folks struggling will get lucky and get over the hump soon. I wish I had some good tips, but I mainly just kept upgrading my main team to the max level and geared them the best that I could. I got lucky getting a free Phasma back when I first started so I had a free GW character. I used Chewy for a long while to keep the heat off my DD and used dual healers to keep people alive. When I unlocked Sidious he was a huge game changer for me. Until I started unlocking better characters my squad was something like Phasma, Chewy, Sidious, JC, Talia. My current GW squad is Phasma, Fives, Sidious, Dooku/Kylo and Lumi. It seems to sustain itself for the most part. I spread out my stuns and ability blocks on the enemy teams. If I stun 1 character I try to use Lumi to ability block someone else's healing, revive or high damage attack. If I can prevent the worst damage from hitting my team in the early rounds I know I can survive the fight without issue. Depending on the enemy teams I have to play around with who I stun with Dooku if it's not applying to anyone. Idk if that helps anyone, but it's what works for me. Happy shard hunting to everyone.

Toa TAK

Banned
Probably the best purchase you can make in the game. It ends up being a lot more crystals per dollar and helps you resist the urge of buying garbage Chromium packs, focusing your crystals on refreshes.
I second this. It's the only purchase I've made in the game, and it's great as I get more crystals since I don't spend them much to begin with.

z4chc3na

Probably the best purchase you can make in the game. It ends up being a lot more crystals per dollar and helps you resist the urge of buying garbage Chromium packs, focusing your crystals on refreshes.
Anyway you can explain the correct way to use the crystals? I was thinking on using them for a pack once I got enough

Anyway you can explain the correct way to use the crystals? I was thinking on using them for a pack once I got enough

The problem with packs are that there are so many characters that they generally aren't worth it. Once you get to level 70 and start hitting end game it becomes pretty important that you have high star characters. Like at least 5 star but preferrably 6 or 7, ultimately depending on what your goals are. With a Chromium Pack, you are mostly going to get shards for characters that you cannot otherwise collect the shards for, which makes them worthless. If you do get a Chromium exclusive character, that character will be stuck at 4 stars until you decide to buy more Chromium and hope you get the shards. Unless you want to spend a crazy amount of money on the game, it's not worth it.

The best thing you can spend Crystals on are energy recharges. These will help you progress a lot faster and you can precisely earn shards and gear for the characters you want. I personally recommend getting a Cantina energy refresh everyday for 100 Crystals, and depending how many Crystals you have left get two normal energy refreshes for 50 Crystals each. You get a bit over 50 Crystals from daily activities and then at least another 50 from Arena and Galactic War, depending on your rank/how far you make it.

Seigyoku

And of course, just now I WON A GALACTIC WAR! With very few substitutions. WHAT?

And now they want me to do this nine more times? PFFT!

Blank!

the packs are generally not worth it. Your guaranteed one character, but it can be a hero you already have and a one-star hero on top of that (you'll cry when you pull an Ewok Scout who then converts down to 7 shards).

IMO, the 2 "must do" spends are:

1 cantina refresh (100 energy) - so you're unlocking 5 shards from the cantina pretty much every day.

2 energy restores (50 energy each) - for gear farming.

This is generally do-able for free to play players though, you may need to just do the cantina refresh and skip the energy refreshes at first. People who buy the 21 day crystal pack or something have a bit more freedom to spend.

I generally wouldn't recommend doing any more cantina refreshes past the first, and I would stop doing energy refreshes when it hits 200 crystals (if you're buying crystals).

The only way I would recommend buying packs is if you plan on investing money into the game (either on a weekly/monthly budget).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

That said, it's still 2 to 3 times more expensive than what other games charge for similar premium currency subscriptions. So while it is the best value out of the offered options, I still think it's pretty pricey for what you get. I subscribed the first time it was offered but haven't since.

Blank!

Daka on defense today = near 100% chance to revive both with passive/ability. I thought they were going to get rid of her self revive. such bullshit.

Aselith

Daka on defense today = near 100% chance to revive both with passive/ability. I thought they were going to get rid of her self revive. such bullshit.

I would vastly prefer it if they just changed it so revives had to restart their turn meter. Killing someone and then having them revive and immediately blast you is pretty messed up.

Blank!

Rex pack is available to people who've spent $200 min...

It's actually not a horrible deal (considering current pricing structure that is) but the characters offered aren't great. 2 extra purple mats though, I'm sure the whales are going crazy on it.

Rex pack is available to people who've spent $200 min...

It's actually not a horrible deal (considering current pricing structure that is) but the characters offered aren't great. 2 extra purple mats though, I'm sure the whales are going crazy on it.

That's a disgusting requirement. Wtf...

Aselith

It's not something explicit (I assume as I didn't get it.) You wouldn't see the offer at all unless you met the requirement I think?

Checked reddit and:

Took 30 opens to get him to 7*. Got a few purple mats too. I think I hit full character 5 times.

Well there's another $200 spent on the game lmao. The whales tho

I think what happened is they added Rex to Chromiums but the big spenders already had all the characters and didn't want to go through that again just for 1 more character. So they add this pack, but put a $200 prerequisite to keep him fairly exclusive since that's what the big spenders care about.

I woudn't sweat it if you don't want to spend that much. I doubt Rex will be a staple in most top teams, and he'll get moved to a farming node eventually.

It's the principle of it that bugs me. The fact that there's something locked behind an over $200 paywall in a game is something else.

Eh, I can understand the dislike, but on balance, I love how fair the game generally is to free players and see this a the price we pay for continued support.

Kettch

I don't mind that stuff being in the game, I'm not a fan of how they're hiding it though. If I hadn't read these posts, I would have no idea it existed.

It doesn't really make much sense to me either. If you're putting something behind a 200 dollar paywall, it's better to let people know so they can spend the 200 dollars.

Blank!

My understanding as a lot of these FTP games have this "VIP" system in place (Marvel Future Fight I guess?) where spending X dollars gives other bonuses. I think this is basically the start of that.

Honestly, I don't think non-whales would even invest in it. Only a CHANCE for a character unlock otherwise it's 5 worthless shards to a chromium exclusive character only? It doesn't make sense for low spenders to buy in the first place.

Top Bottom