• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

So I've been reading the 25-issue Darth Vader run and just finished Vol. 2. At the end, it says "Continued in VADER DOWN." I'm confused continuity-wise, so two quick questions:

- If I buy the collected version, do I literally just read that prior to starting Vol. 3 of Darth Vader, then pick Vol. 3 up right at the end?

- I know Vader Down is a crossover run with a few issues of SW: Darth Vader and a few issues of just the "Star Wars" graphic novel series. Is the Star Wars ongoing series worth reading? I've really been enjoying the Darth Vader run but know nothing of the quality of the other half of this crossover.

1. Yeah, the Vader Down volume slots in between Volumes 2 and 3.
2. Star Wars has had its ups and downs but it's been good overall. You can read Vader Down without having to read it though. It's tied with Vader more than Star Wars anyway.

Seigyoku

The Star Wars show (still on hiatus), decided to put out a Rogue One Secrets episode with Andi, Leland Chee, Matt Martin, and Pablo. A few secrets I didn't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7AuVg8OL3A

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I am for more excited about possibly meeting any of the people in that video at Celebration than any celebrity.

Lots of cool BtS info here - it feels like they were able to do more with Rogue One than TFA.

Some recent tweets from Pablo basically confirm that and seem to point to part of that being because TFA was a co-production, whereas the films from here on out go back to being LFL only.

I also missed weeks of this thread so, I've seen R1 three times now, IMAX 3D 70mm Laser, ye normal 2D digital and IMAX 70mm 2D in a doooommmmmeeeeee. Have managed to spot most of easter eggs, but have not spotted any decraniated and I AM OKAY WITH THAT.

The Star Wars show (still on hiatus), decided to put out a Rogue One Secrets episode with Andi, Leland Chee, Matt Martin, and Pablo. A few secrets I didn't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7AuVg8OL3A

Really enjoyed this. Especially some of the more obscure references that I didn't get.

The synopsis for Thrawn has been released.

One of the most cunning and ruthless warriors in the history of the Galactic Empire, Grand Admiral Thrawn is also one of the most captivating characters in the Star Wars universe. From his introduction in bestselling author Timothy Zahn's classic Heir to the Empire, through his continuing adventures in Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, and beyond, Grand Admiral Thrawn has earned an iconic status among Star Wars' greatest villains. But Thrawn's origins and the story of his rise in the Imperial ranks have remained mysterious. Now, in Star Wars: Thrawn, Timothy Zahn chronicles the fateful events that launched the blue-skinned, red-eyed master of military strategy and lethal warfare into the highest realms of power—and infamy.

After Thrawn is rescued from exile by Imperial soldiers, his deadly ingenuity and keen tactical abilities swiftly capture the attention of Emperor Palpatine. And just as quickly, Thrawn proves to be as indispensable to the Empire as he is ambitious; as devoted as its most loyal servant, Darth Vader; and a brilliant warrior never to be underestimated. On missions to rout smugglers, snare spies, and defeat pirates, he triumphs time and again—even as his renegade methods infuriate superiors while inspiring ever greater admiration from the Empire. As one promotion follows another in his rapid ascension to greater power, he schools his trusted aide, Ensign Eli Vanto, in the arts of combat and leadership, and the secrets of claiming victory. But even though Thrawn dominates the battlefield, he has much to learn in the arena of politics where ruthless administrator Arihnda Pryce holds the power to be a potent ally or a brutal enemy.

All these lessons will be put to the ultimate test when Thrawn rises to admiral—and must pit all the knowledge, instincts, and battle forces at his command against an insurgent uprising that threatens not only innocent lives but also the Empire's grip on the galaxy—and his own carefully laid plans for future ascendancy.

Vashetti

Banned
Fake?

1485013134344.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Last Jedi may be a more fan fiction-tier name as The Divided Force, but the red coloration of the Star Wars Logo is fucking amazeballs

Surfinn

The Last Jedi may be a more fan fiction-tier name as The Divided Force, but the red coloration of the Star Wars Logo is fucking amazeballs
Lol. You know nothing of what happens in the next film. You're gunna call it fan fic before you even know what it means in the context of the story..? I don't think you're using the term correctly..

Anth0ny

I love "The Force Awakens" title because, as you look back at the film, you realize just how many different times that title applies to the story and its characters. It's a great title.

The Last Jedi can mean really one of two things. There's a few Jedi left (Jedi as a plural) or there's one Jedi left (Jedi in the singular). Obviously the latter is the whole tease (Who's gonna die? Who's gonna be the LAST JEDI?) but eh.

eh.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Lol. You know nothing of what happens in the next film. You're gunna call it fan fic before you even know what it means in the context of the story..? I don't think you're using the term correctly..

I can still judge based on how it sounds :) And I dont have to put the title in the context of the movie solely for that purpose.

Gurrry

I like the title, and as its been pointed out before, Jedi is singular and plural. So this doesnt necessarily mean that there is only one jedi left.

I love "The Force Awakens" title because, as you look back at the film, you realize just how many different times that title applies to the story and its characters. It's a great title.

The Last Jedi can mean really one of two things. There's a few Jedi left (Jedi as a plural) or there's one Jedi left (Jedi in the singular). Obviously the latter is the whole tease (Who's gonna die? Who's gonna be the LAST JEDI?) but eh.

eh.

Well, The Empire Strikes Back really can only mean one thing, so...

I dig it.

Surfinn

I can still judge based on how it sounds :) And I dont have to put the title in the context of the movie solely for that purpose.
You sure can, but I seriously don't understand how someone gets "fan fic" out of such a simplistic title. But to each their own of course.

At this stage no matter what name is announced people will nitpick it to death. And that's from someone who actually likes The Phantom Menace as a title

A new Hope, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are no good titles either, IMO.

The GOAT Title is Return of the Jedi.

The only two names I dislike are Attack of the Clones cause I feel it's weirdly misleading and A New Hope for being a weird retcon. The Force Awakens grew on me, my only problem with the new title is that it uses Jedi again. Aside from that I'm cool as a cucumber

Nodnol

Like the new title. Kinda improves TFA's title too; isn't the black sheep of the herd anymore.

Personal opinion is we will see the death of the Jedi by IX. That is to say, the teachings of the old Jedi Order will be gone, replaced by a fair more "modern" understanding of the Force. A purer understanding, not saddled with the distinction of Light and Dark. I think Bendu was introduced in Rebels to introduce the idea.

Speaking of Rebels, I'm all caught up. Love it.

I particularly like Lars Mikkelsen; very distinctive voice and gives Thrawn a great edge. I want to see what they do with Thrawn; I understand a lot of old EU fans are pissed? I never delved all that deeply into the old EU, so Rebels Thrawn was my first real introduction of the character. What am I missing?

sdijoseph

Quick question for people who have read the Marvel Star Wars comics; should the "Star Wars" and "Vader" series be read together, as seen in the timeline here, or does it not matter?

From Rian Johnson's Instagram:

C29H9LZXcAExZXz.jpg

It's too early to be getting this hyped dammit.

Quick question for people who have read the Marvel Star Wars comics; should the "Star Wars" and "Vader" series be read together, as seen in the timeline here, or does it not matter?

Completely up to you. I'd suggest buying the first volume of each and seeing what you think. I read both as they released but you don't have to. Vader has a crossover with Star Wars called Vader Down but you could still just read Vader.

sdijoseph

It's too early to be getting this hyped dammit.

Completely up to you. I'd suggest buying the first volume of each and seeing what you think.

Oh I'm watching via Marvel Unlimited. I suppose I'll try out the chronological order and see if I get lost. I only ask this because in Vader #1 there is (spoilers):
A flashback to Vader meeting Luke and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to know if that had happened already.

Top Bottom