• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Brand new Darth Vader ongoing by Charles Soule and Giuseppe Camuncoli announced by Marvel today.

It's set immediately after ROTS.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/10/origin-of-darth-vaders-lightsaber-to-be-revealed-in-new-comic

HYPE

Lucasfilm has been knocking it out of the park with all the new canon Vader stuff. His comic, Rebels, Rogue One, Lords of the Sith... they've really recaptured what makes him such a cool character. Dark, sassy sense of humour included.

sphagnum

Banned
Brand new Darth Vader ongoing by Charles Soule and Giuseppe Camuncoli announced by Marvel today.

It's set immediately after ROTS.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/10/origin-of-darth-vaders-lightsaber-to-be-revealed-in-new-comic

I figured there would be a new Vader comic eventually. He's too popular to let go.

Good time period choice. No we just need something between ESB and RotJ. I expect to see him training Inquisitors since we know they were already roaming about 1 year after RotS due to the Ahsoka novel.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So if Soule is writing the new Darth Vader series ... what happens to the Poe Dameron series? Can he write both?

sphagnum

Banned
I would bet Poe will end within a couple issues. There's not much more they can do with it since the can't intrude too much on the Sequel Trilogy.

-griffy-

Banned
I was going to pop in here and ask what happened to Star Wars Oxygen, if it is just done and/or David Collins distanced himself from RFR, but I see that was kind of covered on the last page. I've been working through all the episodes (sometimes painfully), and periodically checking for new Rogue One stuff so was curious if anything has actually been said anywhere.

Y3OQLsg.jpg

itshappening.gif

Lucky bastard.

Will you at least describe in detail how amazing it was to see The Last Jedi in person when you return?

I'll definitely detail my adventures there. I'm sure some other GAF folk will be in attendance as well.

This will be my first Celebration. Having it only two hours away made it a no brainer for me.

Surfinn

I'll definitely detail my adventures there. I'm sure some other GAF folk will be in attendance as well.

This will be my first Celebration. Having it only two hours away made it a no brainer for me.
Nice. If it were on my side in California I'd definitely go.

You'll have a blast.

To the surprise of no one, Gillen and Larroca's run on Vader is getting an omnibus. It's out in September. I've held off buying the OHCs so I'll be picking this up.

There's a bit more from Soule on Vader as well. The Inquisitor stuff should be interesting.

StarWars.com: We’re going to see the beginnings of the Inquisitor program. What can you say about its origins?

Charles Soule: It’s super-cool and thought-out to a high degree, which is fun to write. It’s such a big part of the Star Wars canon now, especially in [Star Wars] Rebels, and being able to explain and give more depth to it is a dream. This whole series is like that — answering huge questions about the construction of Palpatine’s Empire and his tools. Not just Vader, but the Inquisitors, the military, Imperial society, etc. I am a lucky writer.

StarWars.com: Did you confer with Lucasfilm about incorporating it, since it originated in Star Wars Rebels?

Charles Soule: Oh, absolutely. The Lucasfilm Story Group had a ton of it worked out, and were able to download those foundations to me to build on. Lots of cool stuff to come with the Inquisitors.

As well as the cover for #2.

darth-vader-2-cover-666x1024.jpg

Malyse

The Rogue One novel was brutal. Good lord, watching all those characters die again was awful, especially when you've been hanging out with them for 10 hours. Also, a lot of the trailer scenes that weren't in the movie were back in the book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Rogue One novel was brutal. Good lord, watching all those characters die again was awful, especially when you've been hanging out with them for 10 hours. Also, a lot of the trailer scenes that weren't in the movie were back in the book.
Even the Tie-Fighter scene? How was it resolved?

Surfinn

The TIE fighter scene was test footage (like the Jyn-in-hallway shot) inserted into the trailers because it looked cool. Wouldn't make sense if it showed up anywhere else.
Is there a link to this info somewhere? I thought that scene was cut because the film itself changed during reshoots.

curb

Banned
Is there a link to this info somewhere? I thought that scene was cut because the film itself changed during reshoots.

I think that's just the common assumption/internet narrative. I don't remember specifically about the tie scene but I remember reading something about the hallway being test footage.

Surfinn

I think that's just the common assumption/internet narrative. I don't remember specifically about the tie scene but I remember reading something about the hallway being test footage.
Yeah I remember reading about the corridor scene being test footage but not the tie fighter one.

And I definitely remember reading about the TIE Fighter bit being referred to as test footage but then there's this Gareth Edwards interview where he refers to it as something that got cut while they were reshuffling the third act around, so I'm probably just misremembering.

Surfinn

And I definitely remember reading about the TIE Fighter bit being referred to as test footage but then there's this Gareth Edwards interview where he refers to it as something that got cut while they were reshuffling the third act around, so yeah, I might be misremembering.
Yeah it seemed to me that the ending act was changed a lot and the tie scene was a part of that. Like Jyn/Cassian running around on ground in the middle of the battle with the plans.

Malyse

Man, Empire's End is so quotable.

"I'm a professional. I'm not drunk, I'm pickled."
"I am enjoying this hug. A hug is like violence made of love."

Also, holy shit this gets dark. Like, I think this is the most violent Star Wars has been in current canon.
An old man gets sacrificed to the Dark Side of the Force, a imperial asshole gets dismembered and turns to a pile of meat, and a group of side characters get Final Destinationed (impaled, mauled, dropped off a cliff, eaten, starved to death via cave in)
. And I'm not even finished with the book. Lots of references to Rogue One too.

PLUG!

Last year I sat down and did an interview for Scott Ryfun's "My Star Wars Story," podcast, where he basically just tries to grab a bunch of different voices from the Star Wars community—fans, writers, creators, etc—and shares their histories with the saga. He's gotten Anthony Breznican, Steve Sansweet, Justin Bolger, Mark Newbold, and now my story gets to go on the shelf.

If you wanna listen to me speak on about 35 years of Star Wars community history in just under 2 hours, it's here. It's a lot of bootlegs, and bookmobiles, and usenet fights and messageboard madness, laserdisc flipping and projection booth shenanigans going on.

Metalmarc

PLUG!

Last year I sat down and did an interview for Scott Ryfun's "My Star Wars Story," podcast, where he basically just tries to grab a bunch of different voices from the Star Wars community—fans, writers, creators, etc—and shares their histories with the saga. He's gotten Anthony Breznican, Steve Sansweet, Justin Bolger, Mark Newbold, and now my story gets to go on the shelf.

If you wanna listen to me speak on about 35 years of Star Wars community history in just under 2 hours, it's here. It's a lot of bootlegs, and bookmobiles, and usenet fights and messageboard madness, laserdisc flipping and projection booth shenanigans going on.

neat, now do i wanna hear about you first bobby? or mr collins first?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Thank the lord I don't have to subject myself anymore to that tracing crap going on in the previous Vader comic.

Top Bottom