• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Sotha_Sil

I finally got around to watching Rogue One. Came away feeling mixed on it. The plot more interesting than I thought it would be, considering I knew where it would end and what would happen to all the characters (who were for the most part just a bunch of empty shells). There's some great cinematography and I thought they did a fine job with the CGI characters. They were noticeable, sure, but not absurdly so and I prefer what they did to recasting the characters.

As always, another putrid showing by the Stormtroopers. They haven't had a lot of highlights throughout the franchise, but I thought we might see them do a little better here.

It almost feels like a cop-out to say the final three minutes of the movie were my favorite, but that was fan-service done right. The effortlessness of it all was great
though how does he not force-pull that arm back through the jammed doorway? It was also a good merging of Prequel Anakin style fighting with the clunky suit from the original trilogy.

(not sure if we spoiler these kind of things in the OT thread)

I finally got around to watching Rogue One. Came away feeling mixed on it. The plot more interesting than I thought it would be, considering I knew where it would end and what would happen to all the characters (who were for the most part just a bunch of empty shells). There's some great cinematography and I thought they did a fine job with the CGI characters. They were noticeable, sure, but not absurdly so and I prefer what they did to recasting the characters.

As always, another putrid showing by the Stormtroopers. They haven't had a lot of highlights throughout the franchise, but I thought we might see them do a little better here.

It almost feels like a cop-out to say the final three minutes of the movie were my favorite, but that was fan-service done right. The effortlessness of it all was great
though how does he not force-pull that arm back through the jammed doorway? It was also a good merging of Prequel Anakin style fighting with the clunky suit from the original trilogy.

(not sure if we spoiler these kind of things in the OT thread)

We usually spoiler tag film spoilers for the first couple of weeks after release, but after that you don't need to.

--

Screaming Citadel starts today!

detail.jpg

So I recently started watching The Expanse on SyFy and honestly it gives me hope a Star Wars tv series could actually work on a lower scale than I previously thought necessary(Game of Thrones or Netflix level).
You could have a pretty cool bounty hunter show around that level.

My thoughts on Screaming Citadel from the Comics OT:

Luke and Aphra didn't share a huge amount of time together during Vader Down, but I'm really glad Gillen decided to get them together again. Luke's so innocent and Aphra's so manipulative - they're the perfect team-up. This issue benefited from being a bit slower-paced and more character-focused than Vader Down, where it was constantly swapping between a large cast of characters and it always felt like they had to force an action scene every couple of pages. Hopefully Han and co. continue to have more of a background role in this as the Luke and Aphra parts are so entertaining.

As for the art, Ktath'atn is really atmospheric and creepy. Checchetto's done a great job of designing several new planets in the comics and it's no different here.

I preferred this to any of the Vader Down issues. It's off to a good start.

Ezalc

I have no idea of any context from that comic, but just from the cover. Any reason why Luke doesn't have his green saber and is using Anakin's old one?

sphagnum

Banned
Hmm why does this villain's power seem so familiar...

Yupe Tashu in Aftermath said:
‘Did you know that Sith Lords could sometimes drain the Force energy from their captives? Siphoning life from them and using it to strengthen their connection to the dark side? Extending their own lives, as well, so that they could live for centuries beyond their intended expiration?'

Aha!

Screaming Citadel was pretty fun but it's weird how Luke just dropped the search for R2 and 3P0. Also I wish the artist could draw Asians more accurately. I felt like there were only a couple panels where he got Aphra correct.

This may be a stupid thing to consider but I still couldn't help thinking about it.

So, Palpatine becomes Emperor. He is pretty much the absolute ruler after abolishing the senate. As with all monarchs, he is politically the embodiment of his "country's" sovereignty.

In general, monarchies are very dependent on having a stable succession policy, most often (but not exclusively) by way of blood succession within a dinasty. In other words, heirs.

The point of creating an empire (I assume) was not only to create an absolute hereditary rule but also to create a long lasting ruling system not dependent on democratic whim (or to be more precise, establish a long lasting, unopposed Sith rule in the galaxy).

So, how exactly did Palpatine plan his succession policy? As far as we know, the man had no offsprings or siblings (don't know about the EU) so there is nothing pointing to him wanting to establish a dinasty in the traditional sense. Perhaps appointing Vader as a successor would be a logical thing to do in such a case but that couldn't have been a long term solution at first. Luke was an unknown so he couldn't have been in the picture as the "next in line" for years. Who succeeds Vader if he has no apprentice?

I'm not seeing Sheev's long term plan here. I would think it to be one of the, if not THE most important thing to consider in an absolute monarchy. I don't see a scenario where it wouldn't lead to instability.

Maybe I'm just missing EU lore?

This may be a stupid thing to consider but I still couldn't help thinking about it.

So, Palpatine becomes Emperor. He is pretty much the absolute ruler after abolishing the senate. As with all monarchs, he is politically the embodiment of his "country's" sovereignty.

In general, monarchies are very dependent on having a stable succession policy, most often (but not exclusively) by way of blood succession within a dinasty. In other words, heirs.

The point of creating an empire (I assume) was not only to create an absolute hereditary rule but also to create a long lasting ruling system not dependent on democratic whim (or to be more precise, establish a long lasting, unopposed Sith rule in the galaxy).

So, how exactly did Palpatine plan his succession policy? As far as we know, the man had no offsprings or siblings (don't know about the EU) so there is nothing pointing to him wanting to establish a dinasty in the traditional sense. Perhaps appointing Vader as a successor would be a logical thing to do in such a case but that couldn't have been a long term solution at first. Luke was an unknown so he couldn't have been in the picture as the "next in line" for years. Who succeeds Vader if he has no apprentice?

I'm not seeing Sheev's long term plan here. I would think it to be one of the, if not THE most important thing to consider in an absolute monarchy. I don't see a scenario where it wouldn't lead to instability.

Maybe I'm just missing EU lore?
The Aftermath series explores this a bit. In Empire's End, it's revealed that
Palpatine didn't believe in an Empire without him at the helm. If the Empire outlived him, it had failed and deserved to be destroyed. He devised a plan called the Contingency that ended with the destruction of most of the Imperial forces at the Battle of Jakku. If he wasn't in charge, no one could be.

sphagnum

Banned
Palpatine had no succession policy. He intended to unlock the full power of the dark side and live/rule forever. In case he died,
he had given Gallius Rax and the Sentinel droids instructions for the Contingency to wreck the galaxy and destroy the Empire as punishment for letting him die.

edit: beaten! Guess I should've refreshed since I opened this page a while ago

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah Sheev intended to live forever.

I'm assuming in his hoped unopposed position as Emperor, he would spend his time trying to crack what Plagueis was trying to do.

Teggy

So question: I'm playing some SWTOR right now and as it's explained the goal of the Sith is to spread hate and fear throughout the galaxy. If that is the case wouldn't everyone be in perpetual war against each other? How would a society last like that? Is this how the OR Sith have been portrayed in the other EU sources?

sphagnum

Banned
So question: I'm playing some SWTOR right now and as it's explained the goal of the Sith is to spread hate and fear throughout the galaxy. If that is the case wouldn't everyone be in perpetual war against each other? How would a society last like that? Is this how the OR Sith have been portrayed in the other EU sources?

This is actually part of the reason that George didn't like the idea of a Sith society, because it couldnt possibly hold together. I think in his mind the Sith were always just a sect/religious order and a Sith Empire just meant that Sith ruled it, not that you had like entire populations calling themselves Sith.

Vashetti

Banned

Don't believe Rebel scum propaganda.

Sayers

The answer is that:

giphy.gif

Meowster

This final Ahsoka arc in The Clone Wars was so good.. and upsetting and frustrating. Kinda how I felt when I read The Crucible. I was hoping that it wasn't Barriss but yeah, she had a convincing argument but it doesn't excuse her becoming a terrorist and framing Ahsoka. I think Ahsoka did the right thing but damn was that hard to watch.
Imagine how much simpler this all would have been if Anakin just renounced the Jedi Order with her then and there..

Meowster

I do kinda like how TCW makes the Force this mystical and quasi-religious thing again with figures and beings. I can see and understand why others do not but I love it.

Mace Windu getting his own solo comic.

"Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Mace Windu"

StarWars.com is excited to announce Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic — Mace Windu, a new five-issue miniseries coming in August from Marvel, penned by Matt Owens and illustrated by Denys Cowan. Starring the fan-favorite Mace Windu, a Master on the Jedi Council who tangled with Jango Fett and Darth Sidious, it picks up after the start of the Clone Wars as the Jedi Order faces possibly its greatest challenge yet. You can get a first look at Jesus Saiz's dynamic cover below, featuring Mace delivering some battle droids a Force push to remember.

7653lAY.jpg

In addition to Saiz's stunner, fans can look forward to a special Star Wars 40th anniversary variant cover by Russell Dauterman, along with variants by Rahzzah and Javier Rodriguez. While few details have been revealed about the story, Marvel's official description offers more of a glimpse into what readers can expect:

For over a thousand generations, the Jedi have been the peacekeepers of the galaxy...but now, at the dawn of the Clone Wars, they find themselves in a new role: generals in the Army of the Republic. As Mace Windu, one of the Jedi's greatest warriors, leads a small unit of Jedi into battle shortly after the war begins, the Jedi must make peace with their new role, or be lost to the violence around them!

Sounds like a dangerous time for the galaxy and the Jedi. For Mace Windu fans, however, it sounds like an essential read.

http://www.starwars.com/news/mace-windu-goes-solo-in-new-marvel-comic

That's one clunky ass title. They should have just called it Star Wars: Mace Windu as they did with Leia, Chewie, Han etc.

I could see 'Jedi of the Republic' becoming a series though.

Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Agen Kolar
Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Yaddle

Top Bottom