• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Off the top of my head: Ahsoka, Leia, Hera, Sabine, Rey, Maz, Jyn, and, yes, Padme.

If the trailer's any indication, certain characters (and pairs of characters) will feature in multiple shorts - we're most definitely getting another Rey short, for one.

ghostmind

Personally, I think a fair amount of time needs to pass before a "Making of" book is attempted. Yes, that does lead to some inaccuracies, and rose-colored glasses, but it also gives the time needed for members of the production team to be far enough away from the production (or its sequels which they may be currently involved in), to be more candid about their experiences.

That's one of the reasons that the OT Making Of books are so great.

That, and they need to find a new Rinzler.

This strangely felt like a scene that would totally fit in TFA itself.

Simultaneously, also would likely be cut from TFA lol.

The next Rey short (supposedly a fight between her and some scavengers) may very well be cribbing from a scene that was cut from TFA. A couple of early production-based leaks mentioned such a thing (which then filtered out into a few LEGO playsets plus this shot from the teaser).

This.

By the way, for those unaware, Rinzler is doing a great blog series about his experiences working at Lucasfilm. The current entry is about meeting Rick McCallum for the first time about, ironically given today's news, a making-of book on Episode II.

It was in this sorry condition that I made a discovery: As the newly hired nonfiction editor, I was in charge of behind-the-scenes books—and my first “mission” was to discuss a recently submitted manuscript with Prequel Trilogy Producer Rick McCallum, which was the equivalent of drawing the short straw. McCallum was widely feared, for he was volatile. In some quarters, he was ... not liked. Former assistants had hidden beneath their desks when he was on one of his rampages.

Rick was behind a massive desk on another call. I sat down opposite. That day and on many subsequent occasions, he was not shy about letting it all hang out, no matter who might be on the other end, no matter what business was being discussed, no matter how angry or beseeching he might be. “Honey, I know…,” he was saying (anyone could be “Honey”). “Just help us out… yeah, I know.”
He hung up, looked at me, and said, “The book’s pretty boring, isn’t it.”
“Yes, it is.”
“What can we do about it?”
“Nothing,” I said. “It’s too late. But for Episode III, we could tell the story of production, talk about the real drama of making a movie, follow it from day one up to the release of the film. Preproduction, on the sets, editing—everything.”
“Okay,” Rick smiled. “Let’s do it.”

You can read the blogs over at http://www.jwrinzler.com/blog

Fou-Lu

Is any of the new Star Wars content worth watching/reading? I have only watched the Force Awakens and Rogue One of the new stuff. What about Rebels? Books? Comics?

Personally, I think a fair amount of time needs to pass before a "Making of" book is attempted. Yes, that does lead to some inaccuracies, and rose-colored glasses, but it also gives the time needed for members of the production team to be far enough away from the production (or its sequels which they may be currently involved in), to be more candid about their experiences.

That's one of the reasons that the OT Making Of books are so great.

Rinzler was set to co-write the Making of TFA book with Mark Cotta Vaz, though I agree it likely wouldn't have been as honest or revealing as his old Making Of books with such a short space of time between release of the film and its planned release date.

I have my doubts whether we'll ever get another Making Of Star Wars book as good as the old ones.

Is any of the new Star Wars content worth watching/reading? I have only watched the Force Awakens and Rogue One of the new stuff. What about Rebels? Books? Comics?

The Clone Wars and Rebels are both worth giving a go.

The best of the canon books I've read are Lost Stars and Bloodline - both from Claudia Gray.

As for comics, I'd say the first Vader run from Kieron Gillen and the Lando mini-series by Charles Soule are my favourites. Gillen moved on to writing a book about one of the new characters introduced in Vader called Dr Aphra, which is the best Star Wars ongoing book at the moment.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

If you can tolerate the crappy art job, the 2015 Darth Vader comic run is pretty dope.

sphagnum

Banned

Oh boy

Watch both TCW and Rebels. TCW is better but Rebels is worthwhile as well.

For comics, I'd recommend both Darth Maul miniseries (though Son of Dathomir takes place after TCW so you have to watch that first), Kanan (ties in with Rebels), Lando, the first Vader series (the second one is shaping up to be pretty good but it's only two issues so far), Doctor Aphra (after Vader), Shattered Empire, and the Korean webtoon retelling of the original trilogy which you can read for free on the Line webtoon site.

For books, Dark Disciple if you like TCW since it is based on the scripts of unproduced episodes, Ahsoka (if you like her after TCW), Catalyst (prequel to Rogue One), Tarkin, A New Dawn (prequel to Rebels), the Servants of the Empire young adult series (ties in with Rebels), Thrawn (ties in with Rebels), Guardians of the Whills (prequel to Rogue One), Rebel Rising (prequel to Rogue One), Battlefront: Twilight Company, the Aftermath trilogy (takes place up to one year after Endor, but the writing style might be tough to get through), Lost Stars, Bloodline, and Before the Awakening (prequel to TFA).

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So in a span of maybe about 10 hours, Rey had to
- Wrangle a sand creature
- Get into a deadly chase with bandits
- Get into a potentially deadly fight with more bandits
- Get into a deadly chase with Stormtroopers
- Get into a deadly flight chase with TIEs

Man, Jakku sucks.

sphagnum

Banned

Man, Jakku sucks.

Tbf it was probably the most eventful day on Jakku since the battle.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Man, Jakku sucks.
Wait, these aren't canon, right? 'Cus they don't really make sense with the timeline we saw in TFA.

sphagnum

Banned
Wait, these aren't canon, right? 'Cus they don't really make sense with the timeline we saw in TFA.

They are. The first one takes place right after Rey saves BB8 from Teedo and the second one takes place before they go to Niima Outpost where they meet Finn for the first time.

Einchy

They are. The first one takes place right after Rey saves BB8 from Teedo and the second one takes place before they go to Niima Outpost where they meet Finn for the first time.
Well, that's a bit silly. Rey had some awesome adventure each time the camera moved away from her.

At the very least, Teedo going after Rey and BB-8 makes sense in the context of the film.

The nightcrawler, less so, but it's still pretty inoffensive and internally consistent.

Man, Jakku sucks.

Plus in the lead up to the film she finds a decent ship, priorities fixing it over eating and it's stolen in front of her eyes by people she had grown to trust.

It's a hard life.

sphagnum

Banned
The SW issue that came out today wasn't actually that bad. Larocca's art was back to its DV level despite the otherwise weird face tracing. Pretty cool scene with
an AT-AT and Shoretroopers too

Teggy

Shame they couldn't get whoever VA'd Leia in Battlefront for this one. She's incredibly close to emulating Fisher.

That said, this actress sounds familiar but I can't exactly put my finger on where she's from. .

The one in Rebels was good too.

Einchy

The like to dislike ratio is really good on those compared to the trailer. Seems like most people are actually liking them.

Top Bottom