• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Alex

Sith are dedicated to being predictable aggressive buttmunchers)

Can't speak for Warrior past the intro but Inquis actually can bend really well to whatever you want to play it as from what I saw. It might be oddball with anything else but considering the origins of the character I guess it's easier for it to go either way.

I wish I could transfer my character to the GAF server, but it's taken me weeks just to get to level 26 (my wife and I have a one-year-old, so I mostly stay up late and lose sleep so I can play TOR). My server is pretty barren most of the time and it would be nice to be part of a guild of friendly people. I want to make my next character on the GAF server, but then I apparently wouldn't get my legacy bonuses... whatever those are.

Oh I'm sure you can soon for a ridiculous amount of money! With the way the game is and it's instancing I wish the whole thing was just built onto (essentially) one world per region. Would take some extra work to make management systems for chat channels and the such but it'd be interesting and eliminate the problems these faction/server based games grow over time.

I can't think of a single upside to this game being an MMO, only downsides

Decent class stories get padded out with excessive filler garbage, in a single player game there would be no need for this. Group content apart from one or two instances is mediocre to actively terrible (see PvP). On top of this rather important fact comes all the technical suckiness (bug loads, unfinished stuff, muddy combat) from having to be an MMO from a team of multiplayer amateurs. Also its fairly chuggy on my machine despite having graphics that are nowhere near cutting edge.

As far as I can tell the "MMO" part of this RPG is greatly weakening what could have been a fantastic single player RPG... yet it costs MORE money.

Zafir

I didn't find the Sith Warrior story particularly amazing if only because it drags on sooo much when you could see what the outcome would be right at the start.. It was better than what I played of the Consular story though.

Alex

Decent class stories get padded out with excessive filler garbage, in a single player game there would be no need for this. Group content apart from one or two instances is mediocre to actively terrible (see PvP). On top of this rather important fact comes all the technical suckiness (bug loads, unfinished stuff, muddy combat) from having to be an MMO from a team of multiplayer amateurs. Also its fairly chuggy on my machine despite having graphics that are nowhere near cutting edge.

I like most of the filler content, I also like most of the dungeons and love the elite areas and I haven't had too many technical issues.

My only real wish is for the world to be a bit more condensed and the end game not to focus on raiding to the extent WoW does it. I, do however think they would've been better off selling the game and pricey expansions in a Guild Wars like setup though.

But, I do see what you're saying in general and agree with some of it even if I do like the content. I think it's a genre fault, as these games become less sandboxy and worldly they don't differ enough from standard multiplayer games.

MMOs in the future are probably going to need to DEvolve back to the Ultima Online era heyday or just drop the fees in general. Heck, one of my thoughts when quitting WoW last was that Diablo III would probably provide a better multiplayer experience than most of it currently is, for my tastes.

TheYanger

I think all of the stories are interesting in their own way, if it's someone's first character the level of attachment they're going to feel is going to be driven by the choices they get to make, regardless of the overall scope of them. the class mechanics are probably far more integral to which character is best to play, since you will be PLAYING a lot more than anything else.

I mean for example I love my trooper, I felt the story was pure action film (well, 3 action films put together, for the 3 acts) but the actual decisions you make feel totally meaningful still because of how you've grown with the characters and stuff. I felt the same about basically all of the stories in beta that I tried, regardless of anything else. It helps a LOT to not think about 'light' or 'dark' and just play a character as a role (scary thought in an rpg) and enjoy the conversations. Light and Dark are totally trivial to fix however you want them later on.

Thoraxes

As far as I can tell the "MMO" part of this RPG is greatly weakening what could have been a fantastic single player RPG... yet it costs MORE money.

I kind of disagree, but in both directions. I wish it was more focused in one of the things it set out to do, and not split between the two.

Zafir

I think all of the stories are interesting in their own way, if it's someone's first character the level of attachment they're going to feel is going to be driven by the choices they get to make, regardless of the overall scope of them. the class mechanics are probably far more integral to which character is best to play, since you will be PLAYING a lot more than anything else.

I mean for example I love my trooper, I felt the story was pure action film (well, 3 action films put together, for the 3 acts) but the actual decisions you make feel totally meaningful still because of how you've grown with the characters and stuff. I felt the same about basically all of the stories in beta that I tried, regardless of anything else. It helps a LOT to not think about 'light' or 'dark' and just play a character as a role (scary thought in an rpg) and enjoy the conversations. Light and Dark are totally trivial to fix however you want them later on.
Not if you're neutral, it isn't a trivial task, unless you like grinding BT. It's one thing that annoys me at the moment, that staying neutral just isn't viable. You need a certain amount of Dark or Light to use some of the better crystals and also relics. I actually did amount quite a bit of light side points by the end of it, since I still did choose some of those choices. However, this issue definitely did put me off from choosing some choices. Because it meant I couldn't use a lightsaber I just got, or whatever.

A few random shots

Everything maxed + 2x2 SSAA + Environmental Lighting enabled via ini. Downsized out of generosity since this isn't the screenshot thread =P

Temple...I <3 her
i0BboW6hlRXw9.png

My Sith Jugg - Monday (currently level 20)
iTVXbaBVBBc0j.png

My Imperial Agent - Thursday aka Lucy Liu
ibhE3Q12kGuDIC.png

My Sith Inquisitor - Tee'hee (Currently level 24)
iAG97648tWpht.png

Thought this one looked really nice for some reason (nasty compression artifacts on that seat, not from me but from Bioware....it annoys me greatly.)
ibtwZjn0BWTCAC.png

CzarTim

I just don't get space. I have spent soooo much money upgrading my ship, but I can never complete a mission that isn't grey. I either don't survive or don't complete the mission. This is with purple equipment too.

I know about recharging my shields and using missiles, but it doesn't help.

CAW

Jumped back on my 25 IA after messing around with some alts. Is there anywhere I can read about the IA story missions that I've completed, to get caught up on the story?I mean I remember most of it, but it would be nice if I'm able to just sum up everything I've done to this point and then get back into it.

AppleMIX

Jumped back on my 25 IA after messing around with some alts. Is there anywhere I can read about the IA story missions that I've completed, to get caught up on the story?I mean I remember most of it, but it would be nice if I'm able to just sum up everything I've done to this point and then get back into it.

The loading screen?

CzarTim

The loading screen does that.

Tacitus_

I just don't get space. I have spent soooo much money upgrading my ship, but I can never complete a mission that isn't grey. I either don't survive or don't complete the mission. This is with purple equipment too.

I know about recharging my shields and using missiles, but it doesn't help.

You're doing it wrong™

What exactly are you having trouble with? I've completed all of the missions using nothing but the vendor sold items and at 50, the commendation items.

CAW

Yes, true, the loading screen. But I was hoping for a recap on everything that I've done. The loading screen only seems to update you on your current mission.

CzarTim

You're doing it wrong&#8482;

What exactly are you having trouble with? I've completed all of the missions using nothing but the vendor sold items and at 50, the commendation items.

Yeah, I wish I knew. I know it must be me since more people don't complain, just don't understand why I have so much trouble.

Tacitus_

Yeah, I wish I knew. I know it must be me since more people don't complain, just don't understand why I have so much trouble.

There's only two missions I've ever had trouble with, the lvl50 capital ship assault one and the one in an asteroid field where you suddenly get ambushed by a shitton of fighters.

If you're not meeting your objectives, use more missiles. If you're dying too fast, use more missiles and juggle your shield regen and cooldowns. If neither works, use even more missiles.

TheYanger

Not if you're neutral, it isn't a trivial task, unless you like grinding BT. It's one thing that annoys me at the moment, that staying neutral just isn't viable. You need a certain amount of Dark or Light to use some of the better crystals and also relics. I actually did amount quite a bit of light side points by the end of it, since I still did choose some of those choices. However, this issue definitely did put me off from choosing some choices. Because it meant I couldn't use a lightsaber I just got, or whatever.

I was neutral 1-50. actually, I ended up almost being light 2 near the end because I couldn't help myself with my decisions. I'd RATHER remain grey, but you're right it's just not viable atm. I got to dark 5 within 2 days of fairly casual play (no questing, just diplo, with quests you could fix this WAY faster). It's not hard.

Zafir

I was neutral 1-50. actually, I ended up almost being light 2 near the end because I couldn't help myself with my decisions. I'd RATHER remain grey, but you're right it's just not viable atm. I got to dark 5 within 2 days of fairly casual play (no questing, just diplo, with quests you could fix this WAY faster). It's not hard.
Well no, I never said it was hard. It's just it adds tedium which some people might not want to have to bother with.

Fortunately I do have diplomacy, so I've managed to wipe my light points off to get to Dark V. However for any other skill, you're stuck with redoing BT over and over.

For me, I'm not getting IA. I think I'm at the end of Chapter 1, and so far it's been a rather uneventful ride, far from epic. The first 30 levels are spent you flying around the galaxy,
chasing different terrorist cells
, it's just not very interesting.

Plus, I don't like the way Operative DPS works, I know most of you disagree with me. Going to try Trooper Commando and his BFG.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For me, I'm not getting IA. I think I'm at the end of Chapter 1, and so far it's been a rather uneventful ride, far from epic. The first 30 levels are spent you flying around the galaxy,
chasing different terrorist cells
, it's just not very interesting.
It's about to get more interesting. ;P

gatti-man

I wish I could transfer my character to the GAF server, but it's taken me weeks just to get to level 26 (my wife and I have a one-year-old, so I mostly stay up late and lose sleep so I can play TOR). My server is pretty barren most of the time and it would be nice to be part of a guild of friendly people. I want to make my next character on the GAF server, but then I apparently wouldn't get my legacy bonuses... whatever those are.

Gaf empire. Im always on late and there is usually 20-30 on late.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Been duoing the entire game with my girlfriend. On top of that we've done a lot of flashpoints with others and full guild events. Seems like a damn fine MMO experience to me.

Tacitus_

looks like a shadow/assassin item. still, kind of weird.

It looks like a crafted item that procced random stats from reverse engineering. I spent three days crafting to get good procs on my implants. Yay for getting surge on my defense implants and defense on my crit implants -_-

daedalius

Been duoing the entire game with my girlfriend. On top of that we've done a lot of flashpoints with others and full guild events. Seems like a damn fine MMO experience to me.

Same experience I am having with my wife. We are enjoying the game quite a bit.

Its still an mmo ass mmo.

lvl 16 and my Merc (going full bodyguard/healer tree atm) is starting to be a decent healer now that I have the support shot to spread out the use of my rapid scan. One huge upside of being a dedicated healer is that it's waaaaay easier to go pugging.

Milly79

Good job Empire downing Tat world boss. And :lol at that random clicking the skull by himself. I guess he thought we would help him. xD

Tworak

It looks like a crafted item that procced random stats from reverse engineering. I spent three days crafting to get good procs on my implants. Yay for getting surge on my defense implants and defense on my crit implants -_-
ooh right. fucking RNG

Does someone have Armortech or Cybertech? I plan to have one on my Trooper, I will NOT be going Biochem. Which one would be more appealing? From armor I only want "Clone Wars" look, I assume I can get it as a quest reward or buy them off GTN? I can learn Cybertech for droid parts (Trooper droid companion seems fun!) and unique mount (I've done worse things in WoW).

Ken

Does someone have Armortech or Cybertech? I plan to have one on my Trooper, I will NOT be going Biochem. Which one would be more appealing? From armor I only want "Clone Wars" look, I assume I can get it as a quest reward or buy them off GTN? I can learn Cybertech for droid parts (Trooper droid companion seems fun!) and unique mount (I've done worse things in WoW).
You can get the Clone Wars look but not exactly. None of the helmets I've seen have the simple upside-down V mouth.

You can get the Clone Wars look but not exactly. None of the helmets I've seen have the simple upside-down V mouth.

Do you get parts of the armor (orange one) as part of quest rewards, or are they crafted? I noticed a lot of things like that in Armortech, but Torhead doesn't have any pictures yet.

Ken

Do you get parts of the armor (orange one) as part of quest rewards, or are they crafted? I noticed a lot of things like that in Armortech, but Torhead doesn't have any pictures yet.
You can get orange armor as quest rewards. I haven't done much crafting so I don't know if you can craft those pieces.

Tacitus_

If memory serves, the level 40 pvp gear looked a bit like that. You should check it out at the pvp vendor.

Ken

If memory serves, the level 40 pvp gear looked a bit like that. You should check it out at the pvp vendor.
Speaking of PvP gear, could someone explain how getting PvP gear works? Do I just queue up for PvP, play some games, and turn in whatever I get for items from the PvP vendors? Do I get PvP currency win or lose? Should I bother with PvP gear under 50? I just hit 40 so I'm now curious about this trooper armor.

Wallach

Speaking of PvP gear, could someone explain how getting PvP gear works? Do I just queue up for PvP, play some games, and turn in whatever I get for items from the PvP vendors? Do I get PvP currency win or lose? Should I bother with PvP gear under 50? I just hit 40 so I'm now curious about this trooper armor.

Yeah, you get Warzone Commendations at the conclusion of each Warzone (the amount of which depends on victory/defeat, the number of medals you get in the WZ, and I think your MVP votes). You turn those in to the PvP vendor for gear. It's definitely worth doing; at level 40 I did a few hours of WZs and got almost a full set of gear that were better than what I had upon hitting 40. It might be a little harder to get Commendations now, I haven't done PvP in a while.

Ken

Yeah, you get Warzone Commendations at the conclusion of each Warzone (the amount of which depends on victory/defeat, the number of medals you get in the WZ, and I think your MVP votes). You turn those in to the PvP vendor for gear. It's definitely worth doing; at level 40 I did a few hours of WZs and got almost a full set of gear that were better than what I had upon hitting 40. It might be a little harder to get Commendations now, I haven't done PvP in a while.
Okay, cool. I usually stay away from PvP in MMOs but I'll try out TOR's.

Tacitus_

After finishing a match, you get some pvp commendations. You can trade 30 of them for 10 of the higher grade commendations. Both of these are used to buy gear (check the vendors for prices). At level 50 the daily will reward you with an epic pvp bag that (currently) contains an epic gear piece. I haven't exactly done a lot of pvp, so I might've missed something.

I'd suggest getting the pvp gear, since blue gear is always good and it doesn't take too many matches to get. I got most of the level 20 gear for my BH in maybe 10 matches (and I lost most of them). Just doing the daily and maybe a couple of matches extra a day will net you the gear easily.

Ken

After finishing a match, you get some pvp commendations. You can trade 30 of them for 10 of the higher grade commendations. Both of these are used to buy gear (check the vendors for prices). At level 50 the daily will reward you with an epic pvp bag that (currently) contains an epic gear piece. I haven't exactly done a lot of pvp, so I might've missed something.

I'd suggest getting the pvp gear, since blue gear is always good and it doesn't take too many matches to get. I got most of the level 20 gear for my BH in maybe 10 matches (and I lost most of them). Just doing the daily and maybe a couple of matches extra a day will net you the gear easily.
What's the daily?

Dina

I have Cybertech, it's the profession I would recommend after Biochem. The purple re-usable grenade is the main draw here, but it's on a 5 minute cooldown which means once every Warzone. Apart from that, it's a fair money maker and reverse engineering your mods and armoring to get purple ones can be good in the endgame.

Tacitus_

What's the daily?

Win a pvp match or at max, win 3 matches. I don't know if there's one that requires you to win two matches in the interim.

I have Cybertech, it's the profession I would recommend after Biochem. The purple re-usable grenade is the main draw here, but it's on a 5 minute cooldown which means once every Warzone. Apart from that, it's a fair money maker and reverse engineering your mods and armoring to get purple ones can be good in the endgame.

I'm not really keen on the mods aspect of it, since the daily quests reward epic level mods either directly or through daily commendations. I've almost kitted out all of my orange gear with ilvl 126 mods through daily quests.

Dina

That's true, but isn't it the same for almost every crafting profession? The artifice enhancements can also come from heroic dailies while the hilts and barrels are bought with daily commendations. Armortech and Armstech seem even more useless in that regard.

I'm not really keen on the mods aspect of it, since the daily quests reward epic level mods either directly or through daily commendations. I've almost kitted out all of my orange gear with ilvl 126 mods through daily quests.

I really hope Bioware will put big fucking banner somewhere, that crew skills are supposed to help you level and have fun, not be OP at lvl 50. The amount of complains on Official Forums about this-or-that not being useful at 50 is incredible.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Win a pvp match or at max, win 3 matches. I don't know if there's one that requires you to win two matches in the interim.

Do these epic level mods offer Augment slots? If not, then this is something these crafts have over those. Augments can be pretty fucking nice too.

Wallach

Do these epic level mods offer Augment slots? If not, then this is something these crafts have over those. Augments can be pretty fucking nice too.

Can individual mods have augment slots? I've never seen one on an armoring/mod/enhancement.

Edit - Just saw that Zoeller confirmed that the Smuggler v IA imbalances would get fixed before 1.2. Sweet.

Dina

ecPOI.jpg

Sorc-whining besides, the sad state is that most Republic players are downright terrible at this game. A total of eight Consulars entered this game yet only one could break the 50k dmg. Sure it was a short game, but me in my tank-gear and spec broke 150k in that time. A lot of Sorcs I see do fine in PvP, but Consulars never seem to get there. Only a handful.

Tacitus_

I really hope Bioware will put big fucking banner somewhere, that crew skills are supposed to help you level and have fun, not be OP at lvl 50. The amount of complains on Official Forums about this-or-that not being useful at 50 is incredible.

I know, shame on people for wanting their crafting profession of choice being useful at max level. I just crafted my endless medpack (heals for 6k + 2k HoT) and my infinite willpower fla-- I mean stim. Feels good man.

Can individual mods have augment slots? I've never seen one on an armoring/mod/enhancement.

I think only crit crafted gear gets augment slots. That's what I've seen on the web and I've seen augment slots on my crit crafts. I don't think that mods can crit augment slots, since an aug slot is basically just an extra mod slot on the item.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Weren't you still on Chapter 2 just a little while ago? Hell, I'm still in Chapter 2 and I could've sworn I was ahead of you level-wise and planet-wise...I'm 2/3rds of the way to 45 now. You must've played a lot the past few days if you overshot me.
i was. i think in the earlier posts i got confused and thought i was in a later chapter than i was.. i forgot the first part was Prelude.

Anyways..
Keyword: Onomatophobia.
Enjoy the rest of Chapter 2. The ending is fantastic.

Top Bottom