• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Third Day

I'm starting to lose hope of ever getting back to Korriban. I got bored of waiting for the shuttle door to work, so I wondered off into town. I ran into a place people call Nemro's. It wasn't exactly a family establishment...
medSg.jpg

but it wasn't all bad. They had drinks, a dance floor, live band,
yg7E1.jpg

and dancing Twilek girls.
LKwbf.jpg

Surfheart

I like this game but one thing that bugs me is how lifeless and contrived the world seems.

NPCs stand around in little groups occasionally waving their arms about. Invisible walls are everywhere and Mobs are just cluttered about in their little groups waiting to be killed.

The heavy instancing also contributes to the lifeless feel.

I wish they could have included some movement and event to the world.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Third Day

I'm starting to lose hope of ever getting back to Korriban. I got bored of waiting for the shuttle door to work, so I wondered off into town. I ran into a place people call Nemro's. It wasn't exactly a family establishment...
medSg.jpg

but it wasn't all bad. They had drinks, a dance floor, live band,
yg7E1.jpg

and dancing Twilek girls.
LKwbf.jpg
Do you get the Fleet travel ability once you hit level 10? You can always group with others on heroics until you hit the level to go back.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I like this game but one thing that bugs me is how lifeless and contrived the world seems.

NPCs stand around in little groups occasionally waving their arms about. Invisible walls are everywhere and Mobs are just cluttered about in their little groups waiting to be killed.

The heavy instancing also contributes to the lifeless feel.

I wish they could have included some movement and event to the world.

Agreed. Heck, I don't think I've even seen any NPCs that walk around, have I? The world is just oh so very empty and lifeless. I don't expect "Skyrim" levels of interactivity; but it would be nice if at least some NPCs were wandering around taking care of errands, or even if you occasionally saw some animals fighting with other animals.

While on Tatooine today, I was on the 1st of two instances... and my instance had 45 people :-/ Freaking stupid. There should be AT LEAST a couple hundred people on each planet. If I had it my way, I'd much prefer to have a thousand people running around rather than 45.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Agreed. Heck, I don't think I've even seen any NPCs that walk around, have I? The world is just oh so very empty and lifeless. I don't expect "Skyrim" levels of interactivity; but it would be nice if at least some NPCs were wandering around taking care of errands, or even if you occasionally saw some animals fighting with other animals.
Stuff like this happens all over the place. What game are you playing?

While on Tatooine today, I was on the 1st of two instances... and my instance had 45 people :-/ Freaking stupid. There should be AT LEAST a couple hundred people on each planet. If I had it my way, I'd much prefer to have a thousand people running around rather than 45.
No thanks. i already have to fight for quest mobs and item spawns as it is. Dealing with another 1000 people trying to loot spice crates isnt my idea of fun.

Moaradin

I see NPCs walking around all the time. A lot of the interacting NPCs are client side and scale depending on your PC. Low end PCs won't see as many of the client sided NPCs.

The biggest amount of world interaction I remember is a ship that invades an imperial town on taris. Drops troops off that attack the guards and there are rocket turrets that shoot at the ship.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just picked up all the 25 gear in 2 runs which was nice. Enjoying healing the instances with my friends.

Screenshot_2012-01-08_20_27_54_132000.jpg

Feels funny having so much damn HP though.

Ceebs

And Tatooine has just killed any remaining interest in this game I had. Went ahead and canceled as well. The layout of the zone is just terrible. I have no interest in slogging through it anymore.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
And Tatooine has just killed any remaining interest in this game I had. Went ahead and canceled as well. The layout of the zone is just terrible. I have no interest in slogging through it anymore.

Tattooine is when the planets started getting really good!

I loved tatooine. Cruised through it. The quests are laid out very well. Its an easy zone

Choc

Banned
just read a pro tip for those who dont want to wait 18 hours for a fleet pass

open pvp, dont participate wait for deserter to countdwon

get kicked, wallah, fleet.

i wonder if bioware considers that an exploit

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Stuff like this happens all over the place. What game are you playing?

Hmm.... maybe I just haven't noticed? I have all settings maxed out. When I'm in a cantina, everyone stays in one place. In Anchorhead on Tatooine, everyone is in one place. I mean, yeah, I see the occasional group of NPCs in a firefight... but they still stay in the relatively same location. I can't recall me once seeing an NPC just go about his/her business in a town. I'll keep an eye out for it, though.

No thanks. i already have to fight for quest mobs and item spawns as it is. Dealing with another 1000 people trying to loot spice crates isnt my idea of fun.

Oh, no, I totally agree it wouldn't work AT ALL with the system they have in place. That's fine; they chose a style that works, and it works pretty well. I'm just saying, personally, I would have preferred a system that could support a few hundred people running around rather than just crossing paths with maybe 20 people on each planet once you leave the starting area.

XiaNaphryz

I see NPCs walking around all the time. A lot of the interacting NPCs are client side and scale depending on your PC. Low end PCs won't see as man of the client sided NPCs.

The biggest amount of world interaction I remember is a ship that invades an imperial town on taris. Drops troops off that attack the guards and there are rocket turrets that shoot at the ship.
There's a bunch of random NPC conversations I've heard as well just cruising around.

Skel1ingt0n

I really enjoyed Tatooine; but I'm glad I paid attention to the warnings to save up for a speeder. I had *JUST* earned enough for it once I was heading there. That planet would suck without one - which I imagine happens to quite a few players.

Scarecrow

So, is it possible/enjoyable to play the game with a controller? This might as well be my first modern mmo, and I'm not digging moving around/attacking.

Varna

Tattooine is fucken great. I have absolutely no problems going after the bonus missions on this one. Exploration feels damn good on this planet and the threat of PVP is making even more interesting.

So, is it possible/enjoyable to play the game with a controller? This might as well be my first modern mmo, and I'm not digging moving around/attacking.

If this game had some built in controller support... a FF11/14 type system could work... maybe... not really well... but you could play.

But this game does not feature suck an option. I can only see disaster for someone attempting to play it this way.

Surfheart

I see NPCs walking around all the time. A lot of the interacting NPCs are client side and scale depending on your PC. Low end PCs won't see as many of the client sided NPCs.

Hmmm, are you sure about that? I've got a i7 2600K @3.9Ghz, 16Gb of ram and an AMD 6990 and all I see are a bunch of NPCs standing around doing nothing much at all.

Granted I've only seen Ord Mantell, Coruscant and Taris so maybe there are other planets with more stuff going on that I haven't seen yet.

The only real NPC activity I've seen are defenders at the gate shooting at Mobs under cover. Amusingly if I kill all the critters they are firing at the defenders just keep on firing.

Choc

Banned
I really enjoyed Tatooine; but I'm glad I paid attention to the warnings to save up for a speeder. I had *JUST* earned enough for it once I was heading there. That planet would suck without one - which I imagine happens to quite a few players.

really?

i had 70k

edit: tatooine without a speeder would be impossible, seriously

vilmer_

Don't mean to be a debbie downer but a controller would be nothing but a massive handicap in the game :/

Zafir

Yeah, as much as I prefer playing with a controller, it just wouldn't be possible in this due to the sheer amount of skills you get. I pretty much have 3 bars and a bit full up with stuff on my level 50 immortal jugg.

Skel1ingt0n

really?

i had 70k

edit: tatooine without a speeder would be impossible, seriously

I didn't quite grasp crew skills until 15 or 16; and I didn't jump on the Slicing bandwagon until 20. ;p

mjc

I'd have to agree about the JK being weird. I've run into a couple walls and I'm up to lvl 23. I'm still in Act 1 and the story is pretty shit too.

Skel1ingt0n

I'd have to agree about the JK being weird. I've run into a couple walls and I'm up to lvl 23. I'm still in Act 1 and the story is pretty shit too.

I'm enjoying the story... but HA(!), you're in for some nasty surprises over at least the next 10 levels. Shit sucks, man. I have a few people telling me to bail out now - at level 36. I don't think I can do it. But man, listen to me, if you have the patience for it, and since you aren't like the story, you outta consider starting from scratch with a different class.

Zafir

If the JK quest line is anything like the SW one, once you get the healer it becomes a bit easier, until you get to 40+ and then the class quests start becoming a bit tedious again.

Skel1ingt0n

If the JK quest line is anything like the SW one, once you get the healer it becomes a bit easier, until you get to 40+ and then the class quests start becoming a bit tedious again.

Well I'm 36 and still don't have a healer. So assuming I get one in the next couple levels... whoop whoop(!), two levels that are easy. lol

Or, shit... if I don't get the healer until after 40, I'm gonna be a double fucked oreo.

;p

just read a pro tip for those who dont want to wait 18 hours for a fleet pass

open pvp, dont participate wait for deserter to countdwon

get kicked, wallah, fleet.

i wonder if bioware considers that an exploit

Possibly. You could do a similar thing in WoW using Wintergrasp, at least for a time. But the functionality was limited since that only happened roughly every 2.5 hours, and your hearthstone would be up in 1 hour or a half hour after they reduced the cooldown.

This definitely seems more abusable since you can queue for PvP all the time and from anywhere.

aett

It's a shame that there's so much wrong with the Jedi Knight. Fortunately, that was probably the last class I was interested in playing, so hopefully it'll get fixed by the time I feel like playing as one.

How is the Jedi Consular? I haven't heard any comments, positive or negative, about that class or its story.

Zafir

I'd heard it you got the JK healer at the end of Balmorra, which is apparently mid to late 30s depending on how over or under levelled you are. Which as I mentioned before is incidentally the same place where you get the SW healer, however we go to Balmorra when you go to Taris, so it's much earlier.

It's a shame that there's so much wrong with the Jedi Knight. Fortunately, that was probably the last class I was interested in playing, so hopefully it'll get fixed by the time I feel like playing as one.

How is the Jedi Consular? I haven't heard any comments, positive or negative, about that class or its story.
The story isn't anything special, but the class itself is pretty enjoyable to play. I enjoyed what I played of my Jedi Shadow. Oh, and the class quests certainly seemed easier than the warrior(so I presume knight as well) ones.

XiaNaphryz

i thought i was done with Chapter 3.. turns out what i fought wasnt the end boss battle. i look forward to wrecking this fools shit. Only blood can sate me now.
Weren't you still on Chapter 2 just a little while ago? Hell, I'm still in Chapter 2 and I could've sworn I was ahead of you level-wise and planet-wise...I'm 2/3rds of the way to 45 now. You must've played a lot the past few days if you overshot me.

Choc

Banned

smacks it like crazy at pvp and you get some serious powers early on.

mjc

Maybe I'll shelve my JK until things get ironed out. I only went with one because my friends wanted one for the endgame pvp.

Choc

Banned
I'm DPS....so this is all making sense now. Yeesh.

respec

if you are going to continue, respec tank. You aer about to hit some serious, serious boss characters

max kiras armor as much as you can, buy medpacks and cross fingers because you are going to need help

else get a guildie to just faceroll the bosses with you

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So what class has a good story besides the IA?

Well, I don't know about the overarching story but I'm enjoying Smuggler a lot. The conversations can be pretty funny since I'm usually either sarcastic, flirty or humorously arrogant. It's pretty lighthearted, I think they got the Han Solo vibe right. Just started Act 2.

Alex

Consular is great in terms of class design and strength but from what I've seen it's narrative and superficial trappings are iffy compared to the Inquisitor for my tastes.

However, I need to mention that I never actually liked Star Wars prior to this and some of the exposure to the greater bits of it. The films never did anything for me growing up and now as I'm getting older, and as an avid reader, the overly heroic, stoic trappings do even less for me

For lots of folks I'm sure it's their primary focus for the game but to me there's a decent gap where they tried to meet those expectations and where they had a lot more creative freedom to dip into expanded lore and freedom and come out with more interesting characters and setups.

At first I was just down on the force users in general but even the literal Sith seem to have more interesting beginnings with better characters. Inquis, with it's rise to power from slavery and depending how you want to grow it in such an oppressive society makes for some pretty interesting choices in the same way that Agent's narrative bends well to it's aesthetic and setup as well.

Or you could play Inquis like my wife and just be a complete loon as well, only picking the very worst options and then laughing at the results when her character demands robes of solid gold and shakes down peasants for their remaining credits.

So what class has a good story besides the IA?

The non-Jedi/Sith classes. There's so little to work with in the fiction for those groups (the Jedi are dedicated to being boring, emotionless plonks/the Sith are dedicated to being predictable aggressive buttmunchers), whereas the Agent/Bounty Hunter/Trooper/Smuggler are at least allowed moral conflicts that aren't "will I or won't I break the ~honored code~?"

aett

I wish I could transfer my character to the GAF server, but it's taken me weeks just to get to level 26 (my wife and I have a one-year-old, so I mostly stay up late and lose sleep so I can play TOR). My server is pretty barren most of the time and it would be nice to be part of a guild of friendly people. I want to make my next character on the GAF server, but then I apparently wouldn't get my legacy bonuses... whatever those are.

Top Bottom