• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, hit a wall. Got to level 22 and the MMO fatigue/grind set in. Cancelled my subscription.

Not that it's a bad game at all! Just...not feeling it. Really excited for GW2 because it's free and I don't need to commit. If I don't feel like playing for a month, I don't have to, and can come back and play around for a few hours for free. My backlog is:

Bastion
Rayman Origins
Batman: AC
Battlefield 3
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
L.A. Noire
+ a few other smaller games from Steam sales

And soon to be Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Good luck to Empire GAF! And for those who are wondering, Empire questlines are WAYYY better than the Republic ones.

Holy shit. That is exactly what happened to me, right down to the level and location. I got to Nar Shaddaa and just lost all desire to continue. I continued a week later and went to Tatooine and got level 25, but the fatigue set in again. The game is just not that fun, in my opinion, and I love Star Wars and MMORPGs. I think the lack of UI responsiveness issues are a big part of it, though.

Choc

Banned
depends on the class you play but Nar is pretty shit in general yes

also bioware are massive trolls. I was leaving Nar Shaddaa and then told i had to go back and beat 1 more boss

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im on what im guessing is the latter part of Belsavis. im leaving some quests behind because my class quest has taken top priority. i dont know about the stories for the other classes but even if the world ended tomorrow i would be satisfied with what ive played. The IA story is better than the original KotOR and is up there with KotOR 2 in the concepts it brings to play. This is not stuff you see often in Star Wars.

All of the IA companions are interesting. The ideas behind these characters almost seem like Avellone creations. They might not be as well written as MCAs stuff but i think thats the nature of the dialogue wheel. Regardless, my crew is hands down the most interesting that Bioware has made. The least interesting and most straight-forward of the bunch is the first one you get (she seems similar to that ME2 character Jack if her trailer was any indication). The most interesting would be a toss-up between the second, third, and fifth companion you get (not posting names so as to not spoil).

Finishing my class story is something im not looking forward to. Did i spoil myself on this game by picking IA first? The entire ride has been a blast from the start. i know the comparisons to James Bond have been made numerous times but i think its more accurate to say that each planet has played out a bit like an episode of Burn Notice, Leverage, Mission: Impossible, or the A-Team, depending on my choices and what the overall goal was.

In short, the Imperial Agent is Knights of the Old Republic 3 as far as i am concerned. i can think of no higher praise. And to think its an MMO.

Xiaoki

Should be possible, but thing is at no point in the games development has those high textures seen in cutscenes been used
You could play the game with high res textures during beta.

Anti aliasing was also disabled during beta.

BioWare's mishandling of this game will probably become legendary.

Morn

Banned
im on what im guessing is the latter part of Belsavis. im leaving some quests behind because my class quest has taken top priority. i dont know about the stories for the other classes but even if the world ended tomorrow i would be satisfied with what ive played. The IA story is better than the original KotOR and is up there with KotOR 2 in the concepts it brings to play. This is not stuff you see often in Star Wars.

All of the IA companions are interesting. The ideas behind these characters almost seem like Avellone creations. They might not be as well written as MCAs stuff but i think thats the nature of the dialogue wheel. Regardless, my crew is hands down the most interesting that Bioware has made. The least interesting and most straight-forward of the bunch is the first one you get (she seems similar to that ME2 character Jack if her trailer was any indication). The most interesting would be a toss-up between the second, third, and fifth companion you get (not posting names so as to not spoil).

Finishing my class story is something im not looking forward to. Did i spoil myself on this game by picking IA first? The entire ride has been a blast from the start. i know the comparisons to James Bond have been made numerous times but i think its more accurate to say that each planet has played out a bit like an episode of Burn Notice, Leverage, Mission: Impossible, or the A-Team, depending on my choices and what the overall goal was.

In short, the Imperial Agent is Knights of the Old Republic 3 as far as i am concerned. i can think of no higher praise. And to think its an MMO.

Sith Warrior's first chapter is good and ends awesome. Chapter 2 is basically a cheap Vader rip-off. Chapter 3 can be seen from the Prologue.

Choc

Banned

from what i played of jedi before i rolled IA, yes

played a JK to 28

the first 10 levels of IA have a better story than JK let alone the first 30

You could play the game with high res textures during beta.

Anti aliasing was also disabled during beta.

BioWare's mishandling of this game will probably become legendary.

Some graphic options are not going to matter much, people like to keep acting like every little thing is somehow going to be the games downfall. People whine, it gets fixed or changed, and people forget all about it.

Read forums

Reading the WoW forums, that game should have been dead years ago with the amount of whining and people claiming they were quitting the game over every single little whiny thing. Any time something changed or a new patch, you had brigade of players quitting... supposedly. Ironically see it on these forums with people "quitting" games yet they will be with the game for months to come and never pull through.

The WoW forums told me Warhammer online was going to kill WoW.

Same with Age of Conan.

Haha i remember this too, good for lolz now that so much time has passed.
As is always the case, the myth of representation is in full effect here. People see a couple dozen complainers threaten to cancel and they think the game is losing subs by the thousands. Even if you literally saw 1000 people threaten to quit (most of whom wont quit), that would make up but a fraction of the overall player base. It seems like most people are enjoying the game for what it is, and i wish it continued success.

Man, hit a wall. Got to level 22 and the MMO fatigue/grind set in. Cancelled my subscription.

Not that it's a bad game at all! Just...not feeling it. Really excited for GW2 because it's free and I don't need to commit. If I don't feel like playing for a month, I don't have to, and can come back and play around for a few hours for free. My backlog is:

Bastion
Rayman Origins
Batman: AC
Battlefield 3
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
L.A. Noire
+ a few other smaller games from Steam sales

And soon to be Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Good luck to Empire GAF! And for those who are wondering, Empire questlines are WAYYY better than the Republic ones.

That's exactly how I am. Played many different characters to around level 15, highest I got was a 21 or 22 Bounty Hunter and I just stopped caring. And as you said, it's not a bad game at all. Just no longer "feeling it." I've still got a couple of weeks left of subscription time left so maybe it'll grab me again.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ugh; I know I'm beating a dead horse, so I apologize. Feel free to completely ignore my whining if you find it annoying. I just... I just need to rant, damnit! ;)

So, I beat Act I with my JK Sentinel a few days ago. As some of you might remember, I bitched about that final boss quite a bit. The fight took me at least 10 or so tries; and each attempt cost me more than $2K in credits and stims. And between each attempt, I had to wait 20 minutes for my "call on the force" healing to cooldown, so I was quite literally just running around aimlessly with nothing to do. After all my repairs and cooldowns and whatnot were said and done, the final Act I boss took me a few hours and about 60,000 credits.

I was level 33.

So, after finally beating it, I decide I need to take a break. I didn't touch the game for almost two days, as I just wanted to "clear my mind" and not get sick of it. I come back, and decide to spend some time trying out PvP. I've spent about three days just getting on for a few hours to PvP, and have since leveled up to 36. In addition to that, I drop about 50,000 credits at the GTM on top-tier armor for Kira, top-tier armor for myself, and some of the best mods I can get my hands on for my weapons/armor. Do I have absolutely the best, most perfect setup? Probably not; but I'm definitely pretty well decked out.

I figure with a bonus 3 levels, and some great new gear, I was ready to tackle Act II.

Holy shit was I wrong. The VERY.FIRST.QUEST. has me approaching a crashed ship on Tatooine, where I encounter three Sith fighters. Each one has about 15,000HP. Luckily I can just take on one at a time.. but it doesn't matter, they're still way to strong for me. Whether I stick with my typical rotation, whether I try something new, whether I experiment with something ridiculous, whether I send in Kira first, whether I try to control Kira's attacks myself, whether I try to run away, whether I use different forms, etc, etc... no matter what I do... I just CANNOT(!) defeat one of these guys.

I mean, yeah, sure, it's possible. I could try ten times, and eventually get lucky with a couple crits (how I eventually beat the Act I boss); but in between I'd have to wait 20min for my "call on the force" to cooldown. Without that, I don't have a chance.

And on top of that, every failed attempt means I've wasted and have to use another few thousand credits on a medpack, a stim, and repairs.

Thankfully, someone on the guild came over and helped me out. To that person - thank you. I really appreciate it.

But I gotta say, I'm just dreading continuing on at this point. I don't want to stop now, nor do I want to start another character. I just... I just want to be not so damn fucking squishy in combat.

I know, I know... plenty of people have made it through these parts just fine. I suck, and I'm a terrible player, right? Heck, that might be the case. But the point is, like I said earlier, I play a shit-ton of video games, a variety of genres, and am more than comfortable with kb/mouse, RPGs, and micromanaging. I may be far from a great MMO-er, but I'm most certainly a better player than the typical "joe schmoes" that Bioware will be trying to attract with this game. If I'm struggling... well then, may the game have mercy on those other players' souls.

/rant

Jrmint

So I have a quick question about Jedi Shadow.

I am level 12 and have been attempting to use the Stealth feature when questing in Coruscant. It seems you almost have to be far away from the mob as if you weren't stealthed to not get detected in stealth (hope that makes sense).

Sorry for the comparison to WoW, but I know a Rogue can come up literally right behind a freaking boss stealthed and not get detected, but if I get within 10 feet while stealthed a normal mob sees me.

I have seen people on here talking about how you can solo this, that and the other with steallth in this game, so am I missing something? Does it get better while I level up? Or is the stealth in this game just not very effective?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So I have a quick question about Jedi Shadow.

I am level 12 and have been attempting to use the Stealth feature when questing in Coruscant. It seems you almost have to be far away from the mob as if you weren't stealthed to not get detected in stealth (hope that makes sense).

Sorry for the comparison to WoW, but I know a Rogue can come up literally right behind a freaking boss stealthed and not get detected, but if I get within 10 feet while stealthed a normal mob sees me.

I have seen people on here talking about how you can solo this, that and the other with steallth in this game, so am I missing something? Does it get better while I level up? Or is the stealth in this game just not very effective?
Stay out of their line of sight. Higher level enemies have a greater chance to see you. Its about the same as Wow Rogues.

It'll be interesting to see how the phased/instanced worlds pan out a few months down the line. Already seeing some people complain that some planets are 'ghost towns'.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ugh; I know I'm beating a dead horse, so I apologize. Feel free to completely ignore my whining if you find it annoying. I just... I just need to rant, damnit! ;)

So, I beat Act I with my JK Sentinel a few days ago. As some of you might remember, I bitched about that final boss quite a bit. The fight took me at least 10 or so tries; and each attempt cost me more than $2K in credits and stims. And between each attempt, I had to wait 20 minutes for my "call on the force" healing to cooldown, so I was quite literally just running around aimlessly with nothing to do. After all my repairs and cooldowns and whatnot were said and done, the final Act I boss took me a few hours and about 60,000 credits.

I was level 33.

So, after finally beating it, I decide I need to take a break. I didn't touch the game for almost two days, as I just wanted to "clear my mind" and not get sick of it. I come back, and decide to spend some time trying out PvP. I've spent about three days just getting on for a few hours to PvP, and have since leveled up to 36. In addition to that, I drop about 50,000 credits at the GTM on top-tier armor for Kira, top-tier armor for myself, and some of the best mods I can get my hands on for my weapons/armor. Do I have absolutely the best, most perfect setup? Probably not; but I'm definitely pretty well decked out.

I figure with a bonus 3 levels, and some great new gear, I was ready to tackle Act II.

Holy shit was I wrong. The VERY.FIRST.QUEST. has me approaching a crashed ship on Tatooine, where I encounter three Sith fighters. Each one has about 15,000HP. Luckily I can just take on one at a time.. but it doesn't matter, they're still way to strong for me. Whether I stick with my typical rotation, whether I try something new, whether I experiment with something ridiculous, whether I send in Kira first, whether I try to control Kira's attacks myself, whether I try to run away, whether I use different forms, etc, etc... no matter what I do... I just CANNOT(!) defeat one of these guys.

I mean, yeah, sure, it's possible. I could try ten times, and eventually get lucky with a couple crits (how I eventually beat the Act I boss); but in between I'd have to wait 20min for my "call on the force" to cooldown. Without that, I don't have a chance.

And on top of that, every failed attempt means I've wasted and have to use another few thousand credits on a medpack, a stim, and repairs.

Thankfully, someone on the guild came over and helped me out. To that person - thank you. I really appreciate it.

But I gotta say, I'm just dreading continuing on at this point. I don't want to stop now, nor do I want to start another character. I just... I just want to be not so damn fucking squishy in combat.

I know, I know... plenty of people have made it through these parts just fine. I suck, and I'm a terrible player, right? Heck, that might be the case. But the point is, like I said earlier, I play a shit-ton of video games, a variety of genres, and am more than comfortable with kb/mouse, RPGs, and micromanaging. I may be far from a great MMO-er, but I'm most certainly a better player than the typical "joe schmoes" that Bioware will be trying to attract with this game. If I'm struggling... well then, may the game have mercy on those other players' souls.

/rant
Holy hell. What mobs are on Tatooine that you are fighting that have 15,000 hit points? im 45 and regular mobs on Belsavis have 2-3k, silver elites have about 9k, and gold elites 20k.

Were you trying to do a Heroic 4 quest by yourself?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Holy hell. What mobs are on Tatooine that you are fighting that have 15,000 hit points? im 45 and regular mobs on Belsavis have 2-3k, silver elites have about 9k, and gold elites 20k.

Were you trying to do a Heroic 4 quest by yourself?

Are you serious? Mobs running around at the level I've been (end of Act 1) typically consist of 3-5 guys with 2.5K each, or like 2 guys with 2.5K but with an extra at 6-7K.

In that story I was sharing that you quoted, those were mandatory elites (forget the color) that I had to defeat to continue my story missions. Like I said, luckily I could just attack each one separately; but yeah, each one had just shy of 15K HP. And, like I said, with good armor and being "overleveled", my companion and I have a pool of about 13K HP.

On Balmorra (where I just landed; sorry, spelling), just regular bonus quest stuff (non-heroic) has me going up against bugs that regularly have 10K HP. I've died twice and have used four medpacks within 30 minutes of landing on the planet.

Lol yeah. Nothing is going to kill WoW until the next Blizzard MMO.

And I define "kill" as a higher number of *paid* peak subs.

Even blizzards next is not going to reach the phenom that WoW became. The market is completely different now and jaded as heck. I doubt we will see another pay to play game that will reach what WoW ever did.

TheYanger

Are you serious? Mobs running around at the level I've been (end of Act 1) typically consist of 3-5 guys with 2.5K each, or like 2 guys with 2.5K but with an extra at 6-7K.

In that story I was sharing that you quoted, those were mandatory elites (forget the color) that I had to defeat to continue my story missions. Like I said, luckily I could just attack each one separately; but yeah, each one had just shy of 15K HP. And, like I said, with good armor and being "overleveled", my companion and I have a pool of about 13K HP.

On Balmorra (where I just landed; sorry, spelling), just regular bonus quest stuff (non-heroic) has me going up against bugs that regularly have 10K HP. I've died twice and have used four medpacks within 30 minutes of landing on the planet.

I had the same reaction as he did...15k hp sounds fucking ridiculous for level 30ish. On Corellia at the end of my questing time, strong mobs had 20k or so, elites 40k, and regulars like 10. 3x 15k at your level sounds absurd, like 3x strong mobs for you.

Choc

Banned

I was level 33.

/rant

the jedi knight is fucking broken. Roll an alt and get on with your life. I realised this @ 28, don't wait to long.

I am a 26 IA now and its been so far a much better experience than all of JK. the JK is broken and the story is broken

Apparently they rooted the JK in the beta and never fixed it. Nerfed it to much

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

i just got to Tatooine. Level 25 normals have 1.5-2k health. Level 25 silver elites have 4.5-5k health. Level 25 gold elites have 10k health. i dont know what you were fighting but something seems off.

Something seems off with the JK and Sith Marauder. Some people have huge issues.. others no problem. Something is wrong somewhere. It will probably be the next class i play.

Choc

Banned
the thing ive noticed about the JK is

1. they need a healer companion BEFORE the end of Act 1

2. they have a lot more boss fights and a lot more combat in general

3. Melee only sucks

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
the thing ive noticed about the JK is

1. they need a healer companion BEFORE the end of Act 1

2. they have a lot more boss fights and a lot more combat in general

3. Melee only sucks
The thing that concerns me the most about tackling the Sentinel or Marauder is that the stories supposedly wont live up. i can live with that though because ill be documenting things as i go on my alts (screenshots of enemies, descriptions of quests, etc for Torhead).

Lain

Hit 33 on my Operative on Tatooine, finished the general quests and started on the bonus quests.
Managed to kill a level 28 named Elite Jedi with 78k HPs right after I hit 33, and the bastage dropped a blue STR shield. Why wasn't it a sweet AIM shield for my Kaliyo?!

Also, while exploring Tatooine, I saw a monster skull on the ground, clicked on it, and a big bad beast popped out and proceeded to hit me. Poor Kaliyo bit the dust on the second hit, while I saved my ass with the cloak skill. Middle finger to the dude that laughed at me as I popped the monster.

KePoW

Banned
Even blizzards next is not going to reach the phenom that WoW became. The market is completely different now and jaded as heck. I doubt we will see another pay to play game that will reach what WoW ever did.

Maybe, but I think it will be close. I think World of Starcraft or World of Diablo would be very popular.

Varna

The thing that concerns me the most about tackling the Sentinel or Marauder is that the stories supposedly wont live up. i can live with that though because ill be documenting things as i go on my alts (screenshots of enemies, descriptions of quests, etc for Torhead).

SW (Marauder) story is pretty good. I'd be surprised if I enjoyed another more.

I tend to savor these kind of games and I'm not rushing through class missions (but I'm also not stopping to do every single little thing... Balmorra *shivers*) and I'm not having any issues doing anything solo. I've also been working hard on crafting the the best lightsaber hilts so I'm always taking stuff down without much effort... in general I roll with the best gear I can find. I don't count on the mission rewards to get geared (that shit is for my OP companions).

One sort of wall I've hit... and it's a bit silly... in planning my gear is that EVERY SINGLE medium armor after level 25 (which is a damn nice looking set) looks like absolute shit and I refuse to wear it. Right now I'm building a set of different orange pieces that I can mod to my liking. So I've found a new quest. :)

Top Bottom