• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Then don't complain when you go to PVP and no one is healing. Healing is the most boring job in MMO as is, and if they constantly getting gank in PVP and kill instantly then no healer will go into PVP.

If healing is so boring to you, then why bother playing it? People obviously play it if they enjoy it, otherwise they got some issues. The point of a support class is to be that, support. The balance is supposed to come in the support boosting it's team members to be able to survive longer and in turn protect their vital healers.

CzarTim

It takes 3-4 people to kill me (2 if they are good about interrupt or catch me on cool down). A nerf was inevitable, but I expected it to be more along the lines of taking away my shield or lower self-healing somehow. Not taking away the one thing that mandos had going for it. Now we have no Rez, poor mobility, poor AOE, and average survivebility.

markatisu

Wow been playing for a while today in 1.2 on the test, its better performance (higher frame rate compared to standard) and looks a lot better. Though its hard to judge much now since performance usually did not take a hit till after Level 10 and you get to the fleet and the other worlds

Wallach

Wow been playing for a while today in 1.2 on the test, its better performance (higher frame rate compared to standard) and looks a lot better. Though its hard to judge much now since performance usually did not take a hit till after Level 10 and you get to the fleet and the other worlds

I noticed it too. Shadow performance seemed better too.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Logged back in on live, I can't deal with the UI now that I've been using the one on test :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I decided to play this game on the free weekend pass thing they have this weekend.

It's decent. Not bad so far.

As far as the actual MMO mechanics go, it's not that great. Standard stuff for the most part, but it seems like they made some dumb decisions that make things annoying. Run speed is slow and it feels like NPCs are spread out to an unnecessary degree. (That may just be because I'm coming straight from Star Trek Online, where picking up/turning in quests just requires hitting the "Hail Starfleet" icon, for the most part.)

I'm playing as a Republic smuggler, so there's a cover system. It's... okay I guess. More interesting in theory than in practice, but it's alright. The game needs to be slightly smarter about letting you get into cover, I've found. I did appreciate the attack where you toss an explosive onto a guy and then shoot it to blow it up. Really satisfying.

I do appreciate that it appears everything in the game is voiced. I do wish you got more dynamic scenes than "Guy talks, then you talk, guy talks, you talk while somebody walks up in the background, guy talks, new guy talks, you talk, scene ends." Shot. Reverse shot. That said it's still much better than most MMOs in that regard, just not quite as good as other non-MMO games.

All in all, I'm enjoying it, but I don't think I'd bother with paying a monthly fee.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I decided to play this game on the free weekend pass thing they have this weekend.

As far as the actual MMO mechanics go, it's not that great. Standard stuff for the most part, but it seems like they made some dumb decisions that make things annoying. Run speed is slow and it feels like NPCs are spread out to an unnecessary degree. (That may just be because I'm coming straight from Star Trek Online, where picking up/turning in quests just requires hitting the "Hail Starfleet" icon, for the most part.)

I'm playing as a Republic smuggler, so there's a cover system. It's... okay I guess. More interesting in theory than in practice, but it's alright. The game needs to be slightly smarter about letting you get into cover, I've found. I did appreciate the attack where you toss an explosive onto a guy and then shoot it to blow it up. Really satisfying.

I do appreciate that it appears everything in the game is voiced. I do wish you got more dynamic scenes than "Guy talks, then you talk, guy talks, you talk while somebody walks up in the background, guy talks, new guy talks, you talk, scene ends." Shot. Reverse shot. That said it's still much better than most MMOs in that regard, just not quite as good as other non-MMO games.

All in all, I'm enjoying it, but I don't think I'd bother with paying a monthly fee.

- You get sprint at level 14 then mounts at 25. Starting with the next update you'll get sprint at level 1
- I play a Gunslinger and I enjoy the cover mechanic, you get a lot of skills as you go and it can be fun to play at higher levels
- The quality of the cutscenes and the amount of control you have over the outcome varies depending on whether it's your class quest, a world arc quest or a side quest. Choices you make can affect event later

StudioTan

Already mentioned but just to confirm about that item supposedly needed for doing the new Op is in fact NOT needed for that:

Hey guys - saw this and wanted to clarify. The patch note isn't QUITE precise - sorry for the confusion. Part of the patch note process for PTS is to ensure we're not confusing anyone, so we'll amend.

The item is required to do the new Heroic World Boss "The Nightmare Pilgrim" on Voss. It is NOT required for any of the 1.2 Operation content, nor is he the last boss of that content. The Operation is entirely seperate and does not require any of the items listed to complete on any difficulty level.

To be clear: we do not expect players to run daily quests in order to participate in Operations.

-Cameron

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ok, if anyone in GAF Empire would like to have a level 50 copied over to the PTS, please PM me with with the following information:

As long as we can get at least 4 people we should be good to go.

send that shizz in i got my test client ready to go.

I swear the people in my guild have mental issues. Wiped to Soa like 20 times because no one can fucking eat a ball. Derp derp, let's just stand in the middle while the ball ticks away at everyone.

I tell them to read the chat log, listen for their name, PAY FUCKJNG ATTENTION. If you hear your name get the fuck away from the group, christ.

And done with the rant, might be time for a new guild.

If healing is so boring to you, then why bother playing it? People obviously play it if they enjoy it, otherwise they got some issues. The point of a support class is to be that, support. The balance is supposed to come in the support boosting it's team members to be able to survive longer and in turn protect their vital healers.

So basically you are saying too bad you pick "support" class enjoy your sucky built and let us faceroll rooms have all the fun why you guys follow us around. You must play a warrior toon..

I am sorry to me raid healing is fun, pvp healing is not, especially not if we are going to be have shitty built that get kill in two hits. This how WoW pvp was in the beginning before they buff up healer class to be pvp viable.

CzarTim

So basically you are saying too bad you pick "support" class enjoy your sucky built and let us faceroll rooms have all the fun why you guys follow us around. You must play a warrior toon..

I am sorry to me raid healing is fun, pvp healing is not, especially not if we are going to be have shitty built that get kill in two hits. This how WoW pvp was in the beginning before they buff up healer class to be pvp viable.

I feel the exact opposite. I can sleep through an op as long as the rest of the group knows what they're doing. PVP is a new challenge every match.

CzarTim

Healing Mercs: Mandos have an ability to heal players by targeting them and "shooting" them with our basic attack. This produces a green beam. What does the merc equivalent look like?

edit: nevermind, found it on Youtube. It's basically shooting green darts. THIS needs to be fixed on the mando side for the nerfs to make sense. I never use that ability since it produces a giant green beam from my gun to the target, basically saying "HAY GUYS, I HEAL. PLEASE KILL ME."

gatti-man

And here we see your bias. You sound like someone that hasn't even pvp'd in swtor.

And here we see your bias. You sound like someone that hasn't even pvp'd in swtor.

I do PVP in swtor, but it's not the only thing I do since I also like to do instances (PVE). I am almost rank 60 valor on my Operatives. May be because I am coming from solo PVPer perspective versus group PVP when it come to healing in PVP. I also dislike the notion of support class should just be sucky mentality in MMO. I don't disagree that class like Sage/Sor are just too OP but it's not the healing that make them impossible to kill, it's the ability to stunt / slow / shield themselves and then speed run that make them hard to take down. Also I don't see the problem why you should not burn all your cool down to take down a healer, I mean we are healer class we essentially have 3 health bars...

I am sorry if I sound pissy but triple nerf to operatives because everyone doesn't like dealing with stealth class (I do agree it need to be tone down especially with the boosts, but to do even more nerf just seems like they just want to neuter the class entirely). Now with people crying healer is too strong and need more nerfing I just about give up playing this game. They don't seem to know how to do proper balance and just react to what people crying about and went with the nerf.

- You get sprint at level 14 then mounts at 25. Starting with the next update you'll get sprint at level 1
- I play a Gunslinger and I enjoy the cover mechanic, you get a lot of skills as you go and it can be fun to play at higher levels
- The quality of the cutscenes and the amount of control you have over the outcome varies depending on whether it's your class quest, a world arc quest or a side quest. Choices you make can affect event later

I don't understand why they give sprint at level 1 ... I can see may be level 10 or when you get off starting planet. If not then just do away with it altogether.

I swear the people in my guild have mental issues. Wiped to Soa like 20 times because no one can fucking eat a ball. Derp derp, let's just stand in the middle while the ball ticks away at everyone.

I tell them to read the chat log, listen for their name, PAY FUCKJNG ATTENTION. If you hear your name get the fuck away from the group, christ.

And done with the rant, might be time for a new guild.

Hi Korby~

GAF had the same problem today, but to be fair it was our first time trying hard mode Soa and I think only one of us had even done it before.

StudioTan

I don't understand why they give sprint at level 1 ... I can see may be level 10 or when you get off starting planet. If not then just do away with it altogether.

I think originally they wanted it to feel like a progression, slow run > sprint > speeder 1 > speeder 2 > speeder 3, but really the slow run just made doing alts excruciating for the first 11 levels. As Yanger said there are times I shut it off, like some jump puzzles, so I'm glad the toggle is still there. If you hit backspace you can walk which is good for RP.

accx

So what crew skills are recommended as a new player?
What's recommended at end game?
Anything i should think about now that i've just started?
Are there any EU gaf guilds and if so, which server?

Can you do character transfers atm?

What are considered the most mobile dps (with lots of skills with zero cd)?

Which class would be similar to a Warlock in WoW (dots, debuffing mainly)?

Thanks!

My questions seem to have been lost so i'm reposting this.

Also which dps classes seem to be most and least popular?

My questions seem to have been lost so i'm reposting this.

Also which dps classes seem to be most and least popular?

Biochem, Bionalaysis and Diplomacy for skills

End game do hard FP's and operations, dailies etc.

No character transfers yet, think they said early april.

Mobile DPS I guess would be arsenal Merc seeing as they only really use one skill most of the time, dots and debuff would probably be Sniper class.

markatisu

As someone who just has played the 1.2 update on the test server Sprint at Lvl 1 makes the starting plant go by much quicker.

Considering all the running around you have to do to get core missions and side missions done to get experience its a welcome change vs having to pay to use the speeders

Why would you want to do away with it? If you don't like it then just don't use because its not like they default Sprint to be on

accx

I can see why you think it's odd to gain it already at level 1 but it's a welcomed change. As a new player most of the time at the beginning is spent running around or watching cutscenes.

Biochem, Bionalaysis and Diplomacy for skills

End game do hard FP's and operations, dailies etc.

No character transfers yet, think they said early april.

Mobile DPS I guess would be arsenal Merc seeing as they only really use one skill most of the time, dots and debuff would probably be Sniper class.

Would you mind explaining why i should go with those crew skills? What are the pros/cons?

Crap, i hated playing like an IA. The cover system is shit.
I've started as an Sorc for my main character and after 15 it's begun to shine. I also enjoyed Powertech quite a lot.

Ripclawe

Banned

you summed up my feelings so far. Its nice but nothing has blown me away so far.

As someone who just has played the 1.2 update on the test server Sprint at Lvl 1 makes the starting plant go by much quicker.

Considering all the running around you have to do to get core missions and side missions done to get experience its a welcome change vs having to pay to use the speeders

Why would you want to do away with it? If you don't like it then just don't use because its not like they default Sprint to be on

I think you misunderstood, I welcome the faster speed but it just seems silly to keep it as ability when you get it at level 1. I mean it is a new slowest speed essentially. If they want to keep it as progression milestone then level 10 would be nice point to get it. But now that someone mention datacron jump I can see why it would be good that you can toggle to slower run speed.

Alur

I don't think you understand just how much more dpsing a healer takes than any other class. Its borderline ridiculous.

First I'm gonna preface this by saying I don't care about any of the nerfs. It's the name of the game in an MMO. I'm commenting exclusively on the strange idea that healers should be easy to kill even though they...you know, heal themselves.

How would it not take longer Gatti? We heal damage. I have like 15.8k HP. I get hit constantly for 1.5-3k HP. My biggest heal is a 1.4 second heal in PVP combat that does 2.8k to 4.5k or so. This is only sustainable for so long. 1v1 with any competency and equal gear you will win every time assuming you bother to continue killing me.

I mean, it sounds like you are saying: healers should be easy to kill, because I do big pew pew. Meanwhile, what is the healing advantage in PVP then? You guys do understand that if I'm healing me I'm not healing someone else right? That's kind of the point. Pressure the heals.

Your advantage is you do about three or four times the dps I do. My disadvantage is it would take me a good 30 seconds to kill you in full heal spec if you just stood there. Why should it not take you longer to kill me when I can regain HP?

Everyone of you QQing about healer survivability in PVP should give it a go and tell me how badass you think you are. My typical game consists of 2 guys constantly force leaping/spiking me all game while another two players dog pile on me as soon as they see the first two beeline. It's just SO fun let me tell you. Granted, my experience is not typical of most healers...everyone knows who I am and that I am a healer because I PVP so much - so other heals aren't marked as quickly or focused....then again, they probably aren't putting out as much heals either.

The comment about the healers are marked that's why people think they mistakenly die fast...I mean, really, WTF kind of observation is that? That is how PVP works in every game.

If your team isn't marking and focusing healers, that's not BioWare's (or the healer's) fault.

Now that the survival of healers has been nerfed, and damage of everyone else is increased based simply on the upgraded gear, I am interested to see how many healers we have in PVP after this. There's already very few of us on the Empire side.

gatti-man

First I'm gonna preface this by saying I don't care about any of the nerfs. It's the name of the game in an MMO. I'm commenting exclusively on the strange idea that healers should be easy to kill even though they...you know, heal themselves.

How would it not take longer Gatti? We heal damage. I have like 15.8k HP. I get hit constantly for 1.5-3k HP. My biggest heal is a 1.4 second heal in PVP combat that does 2.8k to 4.5k or so. This is only sustainable for so long. 1v1 with any competency and equal gear you will win every time assuming you bother to continue killing me.

I mean, it sounds like you are saying: healers should be easy to kill, because I do big pew pew. Meanwhile, what is the healing advantage in PVP then? You guys do understand that if I'm healing me I'm not healing someone else right? That's kind of the point. Pressure the heals.

Your advantage is you do about three or four times the dps I do. My disadvantage is it would take me a good 30 seconds to kill you in full heal spec if you just stood there. Why should it not take you longer to kill me when I can regain HP?

Everyone of you QQing about healer survivability in PVP should give it a go and tell me how badass you think you are. My typical game consists of 2 guys constantly force leaping/spiking me all game while another two players dog pile on me as soon as they see the first two beeline. It's just SO fun let me tell you. Granted, my experience is not typical of most healers...everyone knows who I am and that I am a healer because I PVP so much - so other heals aren't marked as quickly or focused....then again, they probably aren't putting out as much heals either.

The comment about the healers are marked that's why people think they mistakenly die fast...I mean, really, WTF kind of observation is that? That is how PVP works in every game.

If your team isn't marking and focusing healers, that's not BioWare's (or the healer's) fault.

Now that the survival of healers has been nerfed, and damage of everyone else is increased based simply on the upgraded gear, I am interested to see how many healers we have in PVP after this. There's already very few of us on the Empire side.
Tanks tank dps dps's and healers heal. I never said they should be easy to kill just that they shouldn't outlast tanks. Obviously bioware agrees.

In this very thread a healer stated it usually takes 4v1 to kill him. That's ridiculous.

Edit:enough of the complaining about getting piled on. You think its any different for me in voidstar or civil war? I get ripped apart when i play people who know me. You kill players that can change the game. Its common sense. Healers are this by default. That's why everyone knows lyte's name.

CzarTim

It's funny that they nerf our healing output when the actual thing that makes us OP went untouched (Mando shield, when up, allows 20% more self-heals and bypasses interrupts).

Tanks tank dps dps's and healers heal. I never said they should be easy to kill just that they shouldn't outlast tanks. Obviously bioware agrees.

In this very thread a healer stated it usually takes 4v1 to kill him. That's ridiculous.

4v1 only if no one knows what they are doing. Typically I turtle until they get bored and move on.

Healers shouldn't be easy to kill, they just should be easier than they are currently. It's harder to kill a healer than a tank right now, they can take beatings from multiple opponents and survive. They have to be able to defend themselves, the issue simply is that they are too strong currently in survivability. In PVE its not even a concern since healers almost never draw aggro as dps is the one that usually is stealing aggro off tanks. Most healers can handle themselves just fine in PVE, so a little toning down is not going to hurt them.

This, while it maybe a pain to solo a healer, know that for the majority of pvp matches, healers just turtle, rarely do we ever get kills. Every second a healer is not healing the team and is forced to keep themselves alive, the other team is winning. Healers are only effective when they are taking care of others. With the nerfs to heals, I think when I resub, I'll be coming back as arsenal spec at least for pvp, and depending on our pve healer situation I'll do heals for raids. What burned me out on this game was healing in pvp and 1.2 won't be making it any better, might as well go deeps. I agree that if they wanted to nerfed survivability, they should have nerfed our bubbles shields (when spec'd you increase healing by 20% while shielded and cannot be interrupted) not overall healing output (unless they wanted to artificially increase the time it takes to finish content, sounds like we'll be needing 5 healers instead of 4 for 16 mans after 1.2).

Alur

Can't say that I've ever outlasted a tank unless I purposely let him die via guarding me while trying to save someone else, usually another healer. Mercs and commandos mileage varies there, as they have the shield, but it's still not a regular occurrence that I've seen.

In games where Camlost and I run together, he outlives everyone. Sometimes I die two or three times before he bites it, and often he never dies. If we have another tank with us, such as Rexos or Homicidium it's pretty much guaranteed no deaths for the two of them as long as they stay together and manage their CD's properly. Are you telling me you see Kaouthakis dying before everyone else? Cause I sure as hell don't.

Now, if they are guarding me and taking any other damage, obviously they are gonna drop quicker than I am - again, I think you aren't seeing the forest for the trees here. That's a completely different scenario.

Again, if you think we are too hard to kill - and you know how useful we are in PVP regardless of that argument when it comes to just straight up wins...you play the most survivable PVP healing class in the game for the time being. Give it a shot for a week or two. Once they know you are healing tell me how easy it is to do your job against anyone of competence.

Would you mind explaining why i should go with those crew skills? What are the pros/cons?

Crap, i hated playing like an IA. The cover system is shit.
I've started as an Sorc for my main character and after 15 it's begun to shine. I also enjoyed Powertech quite a lot.

Biochem is the best skill endgame at the moment end of story, so thats the pro, all I ever spend money on is buying Stims and Medpacks and Biochem pretty much has unlimited use versions of both, plus you can also use adrenals.

The con is once 1.2 hits the reusable stims and medpacks wont be as good as the top end stuff plus all the other crafts will be able to make high end augments so they will be making money too.

Cystm

UuBqC.jpg

So... Does this mean I can unlock the Sith species and level as a Jedi Knight?

aett

Holy shit, I want those 1.3 legacy features ASAP. Increased chance of crafting criticals? Speeder at level 10? Yes please!

StudioTan

UuBqC.jpg

So... Does this mean I can unlock the Sith species and level as a Jedi Knight?

Yes and the other cool thing is if you unlock, say, a Cyborg or a Twilek you open up all the customization options that that race has. Like a Sith Warrior Twilek has different colour options that aren't normally available Jedi Twileks.

Wallach

Something random I noticed on the 1.2 PTR - almost all of the eye graphics have changed, including the colors. On the PTR, my Scoundrel's eyes are half green and half brown - not like hazel, but more literally half and half style. Pureblood Sith eyes are most noticeably different and all of them glow quite a lot compared to live servers.

On my server we get smash by Repbublic because there usually no healers in the (pug) group. Everyone just want to pew-pew. Remember, we are "support" class we should just suck it up and let the tank and other cool people play while we "support".

Something random I noticed on the 1.2 PTR - almost all of the eye graphics have changed, including the colors. On the PTR, my Scoundrel's eyes are half green and half brown - not like hazel, but more literally half and half style. Pureblood Sith eyes are most noticeably different and all of them glow quite a lot compared to live servers.
I noticed this too. While I was creating a Cyborg Sith Warrior all of his eye colors had brownish color at the top.

Zafir

On my server we get smash by Repbublic because there usually no healers in the (pug) group. Everyone just want to pew-pew. Remember, we are "support" class we should just suck it up and let the tank and other cool people play while we "support".
My server is the same, which kind of sucks as a tank(Which is also a support role, btw). We aren't an whole lot of use without an healer since we end up dying due to the damage transferred via guard(The only exception being Huttball where we make great ball carriers). However with an healer we can be pretty godly.

Just because your server make up for pvp sucks, it shouldn't be balanced for other balanced servers?

My server is the same, which kind of sucks as a tank(Which is also a support role, btw). We aren't an whole lot of use without an healer since we end up dying due to the damage transferred via guard(The only exception being Huttball where we make great ball carriers). However with an healer we can be pretty godly.

Anyone with the support of a healer is godly in the current game.

Top Bottom