• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What's wrong with that?

It leads to dead feeling guilds. I took my time leveling up and I just reached end level and most of the week we have less than 5 people on (as opposed to 20-30 after launch) because they've done all this stuff and they only log in on Fridays and Saturdays. At least if they log in a couple of extra days I might have a chance to try some of the Flashpoints since I haven't done any of the end game ones yet, plus it's hard to get new people to join when your guild is so sparse most of the week. I realize I could schedule stuff on our forums but my playtime is hard to schedule, I just log in when I can.

HBroward

I've been trying out the test server, best change? Persistent sound when switching monitors as an option. No more missing queues due to reading reddit on the second screen. Hurray!

Izayoi

Banned
It leads to dead feeling guilds. I took my time leveling up and I just reached end level and most of the week we have less than 5 people on (as opposed to 20-30 after launch) because they've done all this stuff and they only log in on Fridays and Saturdays. At least if they log in a couple of extra days I might have a chance to try some of the Flashpoints since I haven't done any of the end game ones yet, plus it's hard to get new people to join when your guild is so sparse most of the week. I realize I could schedule stuff on our forums but my playtime is hard to schedule, I just log in when I can.
Artificially forcing people into a silly grind is better? They shouldn't be forcing people to log on. If there was anything really worth doing other than raids people would find other reasons to log on. Definitely won't be resubbing if this is the path they're going to go down.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Artificially forcing people into a silly grind is better? They shouldn't be forcing people to log on. If there was anything really worth doing other than raids people would find other reasons to log on. Definitely won't be resubbing if this is the path they're going to go down.

Isn't everything an artificial reason to log in? Why are they even logging in to raid? If they're not going to log in the rest of the week then why do they need the gear? They like the game enough to repeat the same raid every week but don't like it enough to do 2 hours of repeatable quests? If you had to do those quests during the course of the raid would you still complain?

This is an MMO, it's all about the treadmill. We don't have a lot of details but this only applies to one raid and possibly only the hard mode and nightmare. We don't know.

Having said that you didn't nothing but complain about the game anyway so I don't see why this one issue would be the reason you don't resub.

StudioTan

See the patchnotes refer to new races available through Legacy system - anyone got a list showing which these are?

They're not new races, you can unlock the ability to play classes with races that previously weren't available to be picked, like making a Chiss character with the Republic classes.

Wallach

They're craftable, and by more than one profession.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just purchased and installing soon - will then have something meaningful to say re: the game.

Sorry, this post was semi-meaningless.

Carry on. :)

I swear, agents get the ugliest headgear. All of our new gear looks horrible.

All the headgear is pretty bad outside of troopers which are just another trooper helm variant as tradition. Lot of the gear sets look fine except for the helms. Course in Star Wars you also don't see smugglers and Jedi wearing helms generally, so lot of these designs have nothing to go off of... so they are just making up random helmets for the sake of having a head gear slot.

StudioTan

Ah cool, so those that want to grind and get them for free can, for others they can buy it.

All the headgear is pretty bad outside of troopers which are just another trooper helm variant as tradition. Lot of the gear sets look fine except for the helms. Course in Star Wars you also don't see smugglers and Jedi wearing helms generally, so lot of these designs have nothing to go off of... so they are just making up random helmets for the sake of having a head gear slot.

Yeah, I prefer see my characters face anyway, I always turn off helmets in every MMO. Although I admit I like my wide brimmed smuggler hat so I've left that on for the last while, the only downside being that every smuggler wears it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
WOW I really hate the grind 30 daily comms a week just to get a shot at the final boss. I can see if you pay 30 daily comms and you have the item forever, but that's just flat out stupid. So I'm not allowed to raid 3 times a week and spend the rest of my time PvPing 1-2 hours a day? Nope, I have to slug through boring dailies day after day to kill a boss?

As for the operative change, looking back it looks really brutal (and probably is), but it depends on the 2 new talents they added/altered, which is the boost to lacerate and the boost to backstab. Gotta see the numbers on those before passing judgement.

As for the merc healing nerf, it does indeed look like sorcs got hit hard with that bug fix as well, and their 1 nerf. I think they were just trying to reduce healing efficiency across the board for both pvp and pve; I mean, when our Ops group had 4 solid healers we rarely took any damage--never felt like you were in danger. Sure, we had that horrible nightmare attempt, but we were just flat out doing that boss wrong--had nothing to do with healing.

And this is the first patch that will be on the ptr for probably a good month (or at least 3 weeks); so I can see them tweaking a lot of stuff before it goes live (the last patches had 3-5 changes and were up for 1-2 weeks max). A lot of the class changes seem like they were set in stone over a month ago.

WOW I really hate the grind 30 daily comms a week just to get a shot at the final boss. I can see if you pay 30 daily comms and you have the item forever, but that's just flat out stupid. So I'm not allowed to raid 3 times a week and spend the rest of my time PvPing 1-2 hours a day? Nope, I have to slug through boring dailies day after day to kill a boss?

As mentioned above, the stim needed for the raid fight is craftable apparently

Izayoi

Banned
Everyone's new gear looks horrible.
FTFY. Those sets are atrocious.

Having said that you didn't nothing but complain about the game anyway so I don't see why this one issue would be the reason you don't resub.
I was hoping to resub after 1.2, if they expanded endgame and un-broke PvP. They're expanding endgame a bit, it seems, but I'm really not a fan of the forced consumables (and the continued Biochem nerfs - continued everyone nerfs - the nerf everything buff nothing mentality is really fucking annoying). I think I'll wait it out and see what impressions are about the new raid.

That's better than being forced into running dailies for them, I suppose.

Draxal

FTFY. Those sets are atrocious.

I was hoping to resub after 1.2, if they expanded endgame and un-broke PvP. They're expanding endgame a bit, it seems, but I'm really not a fan of the forced consumables (and the continued Biochem nerfs). I think I'll wait it out and see what impressions are about the new raid.

That's better than being forced into running dailies for them, I suppose.

Biochem was unbelievably broken, after all the nerfs it is was still by far the best profession.

StudioTan

As mentioned above, the stim needed for the raid fight is craftable apparently

The actually addresses one of the other issues the game had which is interaction between players, in this case requiring a crafted item to do a raid. Again some might argue it's an artificial interaction but I think having some reliance on other people is healthy and necessary for an MMO.

So crafters win because there is a guaranteed market for some of the their items yet if you want you can still do the dailies an buy the item. I'm doing dailies for cash anyway so the commendations will be there be default.

I found an interesting interview with James Ohlen that I didn't see posted, he has a few interesting comments - http://swtorhub.com/dash-everything-swtor-12-interview-james-ohlen

Some highlights:

This is interesting because there is nothing about this in the patch notes, looks like it'll be something that happens when it goes live.
There’s another thing we’re adding to game update 2. We’re adding dynamic events to the universe. I don’t want to go more into it as it’s a surprise. People will learn more about it when it gets released, but we have a whole team basically devoted to building that stuff out. It’s really good.

Eventually, we do have plans to have animal mounts, but not for game update 2.

game update 3 is already well on its way, because game update 2 is in testing right now. With game update 4, we already have a lot of the content already being worked on…well, all the content being worked on now and we’re closing in on a final state. Game update 5 has a full team working on that. We’re looking at trucking along with all the future content. We want to blow our fans away with how quickly we’re coming out with game updates and supporting the game.

We’re aiming for a shorter turnaround time for 1.3 than the time between 1.1 and 1.2.

StudioTan

I was hoping to resub after 1.2, if they expanded endgame and un-broke PvP. They're expanding endgame a bit, it seems, but I'm really not a fan of the forced consumables (and the continued Biochem nerfs - continued everyone nerfs - the nerf everything buff nothing mentality is really fucking annoying). I think I'll wait it out and see what impressions are about the new raid.

Yeah, sorry, I realized later my comment probably came across more aggressively than I intended, I woke up cranky this morning.

Lain

Was looking at the 1.2 patch notes with the changes for Operative and Sith Inquisitors on the healing trees and frankly, I don't like them, especially the Sith Inquisitor ones.

arimanius

Was looking at the 1.2 patch notes with the changes for Operative and Sith Inquisitors on the healing trees and frankly, I don't like them, especially the Sith Inquisitor ones.

Why would you not like the OP healer changes? They got a much needed buff.

Lain

Why would you not like the OP healer changes? They got a much needed buff.

You're right, most of the healing changes for Operatives are nice, though I liked Recuperative Nanotech lasting longer than it's CD, and I don't like the change to lethality to 1% crit per point instead of 2%.
I guess it's the whole change I don't like for Operatives, given that it makes soloing and duoing even more annoying for me specced as a healer.

StudioTan

I don't know if they did some other optimizations but I seem to be getting much better framerates on the test server, getting a steady 70fps on Tython with an i5 2400 and a 560ti.

arimanius

You're right, most of the healing changes for Operatives are nice, though I liked Recuperative Nanotech lasting longer than it's CD, and I don't like the change to lethality to 1% crit per point instead of 2%.
I guess it's the whole change I don't like for Operatives, given that it makes soloing and duoing even more annoying for me specced as a healer.

The entire OP changes are horrible. My OP spec is concealment which got hit with another huge nerf without addressing and of the issues with it. Healing seems to be the only way to go come 1.2.

My Jugg got hit with a nerf as well. Vigilance, which I like, has been apparently gutted, and Rage got a DPS decrease in the form of one talent and longer cooldown on smash.

My assassin is the only one that came out fine and he's my least favorite guy. :(

Zafir

Was just reading through the healing nerfs to Merc/Sorc. I can't help but think they went way too far with both. I didn't think Merc healing was that overpowered anyway, bar possibly their survivability in PvP. Was slightly more needed for Sorc's, but I still don't think they needed a nerf, just buffs to the other two classes.

gatti-man

Was just reading through the healing nerfs to Merc/Sorc. I can't help but think they went way too far with both. I didn't think Merc healing was that overpowered anyway, bar possibly their survivability in PvP. Was slightly more needed for Sorc's, but I still don't think they needed a nerf, just buffs to the other two classes.

I like it. I shouldn't have to pop every thing I've got to down a geared healer 1v1.

Zafir

I like it. I shouldn't have to pop every thing I've got to down a geared healer 1v1.
If an healer wasn't reletively difficult to kill then they'd be practically useless in PvP, because they'd be focused down every time they ressed and tried to heal people again. The game isn't balanced around 1v1, and so it shouldn't be, healers are a support class, they shouldn't be 1v1ing anyway.

Honestly, the problem of killing them only becomes an issue if there's another healer around, or there's a tank guarding them(God forbid if they have both).

gatti-man

If an healer wasn't reletively difficult to kill then they'd be practically useless in PvP, because they'd be focused down every time they ressed and tried to heal people again. The game isn't balanced around 1v1, and so it shouldn't be, healers are a support class, they shouldn't be 1v1ing anyway.

Honestly, the problem of killing them only becomes an issue if there's another healer around, or there's a tank guarding them(God forbid if they have both).

So everyone else should be more killable but healers? Makes zero sense. Healers are a support class and if the aren't guarded they should die easy as that.

Zafir

So everyone else should be more killable but healers? Makes zero sense. Healers are a support class and if the aren't guarded they should die easy as that.
No, tanks should be the least killable ideally, but at the moment that isn't the case due to abundant Force/Tech damage bypassing defences. They should be able to out heal DPS to a certain extent though, yes, because if they can't out heal DPS to a certain extent, how are they going to heal multiple people getting DPS'd down?

I think the bigger issue is interrupt doesn't do much to them, and if you're a merc, you don't even have an interrupt at all. I know healing mercs have a shield which blocks interrupts completely, and Sorcs can just use the lesser efficient heal instead, since both don't have a CD.

Shocked at the massive drop in population. I resubbed yesterday, and saw only 2 european servers at heavy in prime time. everything else was standard.

the republic fleet had 60 players on mine. it used to be over 200. wat.

bjb

Banned
Shocked at the massive drop in population. I resubbed yesterday, and saw only 2 european servers at heavy in prime time. everything else was standard.

Most servers have been dying for quite some time. It's -REALLY- bad on lower population servers.

gatti-man

People aren't playing every day all day anymore. Its pretty typical mmo stuff.

The entire OP changes are horrible. My OP spec is concealment which got hit with another huge nerf without addressing and of the issues with it. Healing seems to be the only way to go come 1.2.

My Jugg got hit with a nerf as well. Vigilance, which I like, has been apparently gutted, and Rage got a DPS decrease in the form of one talent and longer cooldown on smash.

My assassin is the only one that came out fine and he's my least favorite guy. :(

Juggs got a bunch of buffs that should be adding in more sustainable dps along with some nerfs in other areas. This of course applies to most classes which got buffs and nerfs, but most are just focusing on the nerf elements and not the positive ramifications of their buffs in other areas. According to the official forum everyone is crap except for Sentinels/Mauraders now, course this is all from people who have not played. Everyone is looking at their class only but ignoring that everyone got changes done to them, not a build was spared really so as a whole the entire game is going to be playing differently. Folks are thinking in terms of the patch notes in the current game but everyone is going to be tweaked once this patch comes out and we see how it all turns out.

Not a MMO out there that doesn't go through constant buffs/nerfs/rebalances... nothing is ever final in MMOs. Can imagine people afterwards will be crying for Maurader/Sentinel nerfs after this, and the cycle will continue.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

In WoW you can make an argument that classes shouldn't be able to 1v1 a healer. SWTOR is very very different with the introduction of spammable taunts, guard, and a plethora of knockbacks. I don't think you should be able to easily 1v1 healers, but if the healers messes up, doesn't bait interrupts, has poor positioning, blows his trinket at the wrong time, etc... he should die. If played PERFECTLY which rarely happens over the course of a 1 min+ fight or duel, he should survive, but eventually he's going to mess up and die. I think marauders are one of the few classes (along with ops maybe) that can 1v1 a healer effectively, but that's because most healers don't purge marauder dots. An annihilation marauder will never 1v1 a healer the purges his DoTs, never.

The misconception with marauders is that people that don't know the class look at current annihilation marauders (who are strong because most people don't bother to purge DoTs) and look at the ptr 1.2 patch notes and see buffs, assume current annihilation + many buffs = OP. The fact is, annihilation (along with carnage and rage) got a few quality of life buffs and an overall survivability nerf with the change to force camo. Carnage and Rage marauders, who were ass before 1.2 got buffed. Yes, I guess it sucks that marauders will now have 3 viable specs whereas some classes have 0 or 1, but that doesn't mean you should screw up balance by making sure every class has only 1 viable spec lol. You should try to slowly bring every class to that point.

Zafir

In WoW you can make an argument that classes shouldn't be able to 1v1 a healer. SWTOR is very very different with the introduction of spammable taunts, guard, and a plethora of knockbacks. I don't think you should be able to easily 1v1 healers, but if the healers messes up, doesn't bait interrupts, has poor positioning, blows his trinket at the wrong time, etc... he should die. If played PERFECTLY which rarely happens over the course of a 1 min+ fight or duel, he should survive, but eventually he's going to mess up and die. I think marauders are one of the few classes (along with ops maybe) that can 1v1 a healer effectively, but that's because most healers don't purge marauder dots. An annihilation marauder will never 1v1 a healer the purges his DoTs, never.
That's what I was saying though when I said reletively hard to kill. I never meant they should be unstoppable.

A healer should never be able to go one on one with another build, it's a support class. Healers right now sadly can take quite a beating and heal themselves while still being able to heal others in their team. Healers should be fragile and required to work as a team with others to be optimal. I can see them nerfing the merc and commando healing (though don't like it) because of their increased survivability as well as them having much more flexibility in being able to pump out damage if need be. But then this also becomes an issue that they are nerfing based on pvp, while it hurts the pve portion of the game.

They try to balance on pvp and your going to have folks in pve situations not wanting to group with a healer just because he has more survivability.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That's what I was saying though when I said reletively hard to kill. I never meant they should be unstoppable.

But on live they are VERY hard to kill. The reason you might think they are easy is because of marking--there are always 2+ people on a healer that's marked or healers that don't purge DoTs are ez too.

Zafir

But on live they are VERY hard to kill. The reason you might think they are easy is because of marking--there are always 2+ people on a healer that's marked or healers that don't purge DoTs.
Not really. You're lucky to get people marking on my server. I always do it if I'm leader, but even then they don't attack them, despite the big marker. As I said before though, I still think the bigger issue is that interrupts aren't doing enough.

A healer should never be able to go one on one with another build, it's a support class. Healers right now sadly can take quite a beating and heal themselves while still being able to heal others in their team. Healers should be fragile and required to work as a team with others to be optimal. I can see them nerfing the merc and commando healing (though don't like it) because of their increased survivability as well as them having much more flexibility in being able to pump out damage if need be. But then this also becomes an issue that they are nerfing based on pvp, while it hurts the pve portion of the game.

They try to balance on pvp and your going to have folks in pve situations not wanting to group with a healer just because he has more survivability.

Then don't complain when you go to PVP and no one is healing. Healing is the most boring job in MMO as is, and if they constantly getting gank in PVP and kill instantly then no healer will go into PVP. Good pvp team will focus fire on healer, when I am in good pug PVP group we will usually tag all the healer.

I remember this was how WoW was in the early PVP stage no healer ever go into PVP, I remember it was suck playing healer spec and you don't get the glory of smashing face.

The problem with healer being strong is not because of their healing, in the case of Sor / Sage it's that they have all these other utilities that let them survive. As Operatives healer in PVP, I survive mostly because nobody was paying attention that I was healing on not stabbing people. Once they target me I usually died quickly.

I can see people complaining about this but I think it's a good change. I think they're trying to avoid the situation where people just log in once a week to raid.

As a casual player, I think it's suck but I agree that it's a great idea. In WoW I remember you require to do a lot more to go into instance (I know they have make it easier now also) but there was long quest chain to get key etc. It's what keep high level people logging in and go do quest and farming so the world isn't dead. My guild now have may be 1 or 2 level 50 log in (and I am usually the only lvl 50). They should have make it harder to get to 50 but once you have a toon at 50 on a server legacy system should kick in and give you bonus exp, this would keep people leveling an alt. But according to them most people stick tend to stick to just 1 or 2 toons anyway.

I am thinking a lot of nerf have to do with the game is easy but I think the problem was because they gave out way too much exp. and people just get to 50 so fast.

I have biochem as my profession and while I dislike the nerf I perfectly understand why. All my char have biochem because there is no reason currently to do any other profession. Even with the last few nerf, it still is the best profession, you are essentially get extra buff all the time. However that said, I think limit the use of medpac is stupid. They should instead make those reusable medpac need to be refill. May be no longer need to get the blue boss drop to make but that you have to farm other mats to refill the medpac.

gatti-man

Not really. You're lucky to get people marking on my server. I always do it if I'm leader, but even then they don't attack them, despite the big marker. As I said before though, I still think the bigger issue is that interrupts aren't doing enough.

I don't think you understand just how much more dpsing a healer takes than any other class. Its borderline ridiculous.

Zafir

I don't think you understand just how much more dpsing a healer takes than any other class. Its borderline ridiculous.
And thats only the case because you can't easily interrupt them. By making interrupts more effective, you could make it so healers are more easily countered in PvP, but not screwing them over in PvE.

Everyone seems to forget that PvP is only half the game.

HBroward

Ok, if anyone in GAF Empire would like to have a level 50 copied over to the PTS, please PM me with with the following information:
For each participating member of your Guild, please list their:
Account name (the name that shows up when you post on the SWTOR forums)
Account e-mail address
Character name of the level 50 they wish to have copied to the Public Test Server.

As long as we can get at least 4 people we should be good to go.

Top Bottom