• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Completed one of my pre-1.2 goals! Feels good.

screenshot_2012-03-183geke.jpg

Now I have 5000 credits.

HBroward

You send in those ptr requests yet trevin?

I had one pm so far on Torgaf, which brought us up to 4 people. But the more the better, so here we go again:

For each participating member of your Guild, please list their:
Account name (the name that shows up when you post on the SWTOR forums)
Account e-mail address
Character name of the level 50 they wish to have copied to the Public Test Server.

If you would like a level 50 copied over to the test server, just pm me with those details. I'll mention it in guild chat tonight as well, and send the email in then.

Heysoos

Is the resolve/massive amounts of CC getting fixed at all in 1.2? The shitastic resolve system actually is making me want to quit playing. It's that bad for me.

CzarTim

Stun is pretty easy to deal with if you know when to use your break. Every once in a while, I have a bad match where I am CC'd a lot, but it's not as bad as it use to be.

Heysoos

Idk. I find it bad enough to want to quit. And if they honestly don't do something bout it quick, then I probably am done.

Even if you try to save your CC break for the right moment/full resolve bar, snares can still fuck you over. Also, playing with pugs, most times than not, by the time your CC bar is actually full, you have usually taken a big amount of damage.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Is the resolve/massive amounts of CC getting fixed at all in 1.2? The shitastic resolve system actually is making me want to quit playing. It's that bad for me.

Out of all the MMOs I've played, especially comparing to WoW, the CC in SWTOR is mild. The WoW diminishing returns system is way worse than resolve, nearly EVERY class in WoW now has a stun, root, slow, etc... In swtor most classes have 1 or 2 of these. Resolve allows you some form of control, to use your trinket efficiently, waiting to pop all your crap during resolve. You gotta take advantage of it. Diminishing returns, especially in battlegrounds, is uncontrollable. It's very frustrating. If I'm an operative and I see a player is nearly at full resolve, I'll pin down then save my stun. In WoW, you'll walk up to stun someone in a BG and find it lasts 1 second, congrats you wasted your stun.

I used to be a resolve/CC SWTOR hater, but playing WoW with a scroll of rez made me appreciate the system lol. The only problem I have is with the annoyance of pulls/knockbacks which WoW has very little of (but again, it has 2x the roots, stuns, and slows). Roots need to contribute just a tad to resolve, maybe 1/5 of the bar.

Out of all the MMOs I've played, especially comparing to WoW, the CC in SWTOR is mild. The WoW diminishing returns system is way worse than resolve, nearly EVERY class in WoW now has a stun, root, slow, etc... In swtor most classes have 1 or 2 of these. Resolve allows you some form of control, to use your trinket efficiently, waiting to pop all your crap during resolve. You gotta take advantage of it. Diminishing returns, especially in battlegrounds, is uncontrollable. It's very frustrating. If I'm an operative and I see a player is nearly at full resolve, I'll pin down then save my stun. In WoW, you'll walk up to stun someone in a BG and find it lasts 1 second, congrats you wasted your stun.

I used to be a resolve/CC SWTOR hater, but playing WoW with a scroll of rez made me appreciate the system lol. The only problem I have is with the annoyance of pulls/knockbacks which WoW has very little of (but again, it has 2x the roots, stuns, and slows). Roots need to contribute just a tad to resolve, maybe 1/5 of the bar.

Agreed, I never got into PvP in WoW. With SWTOR I feel like I putting a few games in everyday.

Worst CC MMO was RIFT for months until they put in their own resolve like system. Though I think TOR is not as bad, it is annoying at times and really they should tweak the resolve system.

What bugs me is out of so many issues, resolve problems seem to be completely ignored and not really a major concern of the community who care more about their individual class nerfs/buff whines. Tweaking the resolve system would go a long way.

Milly79

I've had a wonderful experience leveling a Sniper so far. DPS is great, and leveling seems much quicker compared to an Assassin or Bounty Hunter. Definitely will be getting it to 50. I just got my ship, and shit. It's awesome. The story is also great so far.

And, dat cover mechanic!

f8BGsl.jpg

So good.

Draxal

I've had a wonderful experience leveling a Sniper so far. DPS is great, and leveling seems much quicker compared to an Assassin or Bounty Hunter. Definitely will be getting it to 50. I just got my ship, and shit. It's awesome. The story is also great so far.

And, dat cover mechanic!

So good.

Did you level up your bh as a healer? Ars/Gunnery commando/bh are probably the fastest classes to level.

Milly79

Did you level up your bh as a healer? Ars/Gunnery commando/bh are probably the fastest classes to level.

Ars. at that time I was learning mechanics, so it could be faster. Kaylio or however you spell it seems to make things quicker. Mako would just heal and cc sometimes, never had her in blaster stance.

Zafir

I think the biggest issue with the resolve issue is it just needs fixing a bit. For example, roots NEED to build resolve. A root is effectively a stun for a melee character. It baffles me why it just bypasses it completely when you consider that. Then again, a lot of the game seems Anti-Melee, so it isn't quite that surprising. Also I wish the bar would show the full 1000 points of resolve, and not just the first 800 or whatever like it currently does.

I think the biggest issue with the resolve issue is it just needs fixing a bit. For example, roots NEED to build resolve. A root is effectively a stun for a melee character. It baffles me why it just bypasses it completely when you consider that. Then again, a lot of the game seems Anti-Melee, so it isn't quite that surprising. Also I wish the bar would show the full 1000 points of resolve, and not just the first 800 or whatever like it currently does.

Yes roots should count, also snares should add to resolve bar in some form, even if it's just a little bit. On voidstar I always feel cheap as a warrior hitting my aoe snare over and over in the hallways to do nothing but to slow the opposing team while my team runs freely to cap the objective points. Resolve should affect snares as well.

Just those little changes would go a long way. Part of me wants any cc to break immediatly when the resolve bar fills, but I think that it might be too much of a nerf to cc.

Course I think CC is really only an issue in Huttball, I don't rage at the screen due to cc in the other WZ's

arimanius

And, dat cover mechanic!

f8BGsl.jpg

So good.

I'm kinda regretting making my IA a Operative instead of a sniper. Don't get me wrong I liked leveling up the OP, but with the constant damage nerfs and not big into healing I'm not logging into him anymore.

Plus I kinda enjoyed the cover mechanic when he was 1-10.

Klorox33

Neo Member
Ars. at that time I was learning mechanics, so it could be faster. Kaylio or however you spell it seems to make things quicker. Mako would just heal and cc sometimes, never had her in blaster stance.

My Merc is level 30 and she is an absolute AoE machine. Whole packs of mobs die when my cool downs are up.

Klorox33

Neo Member
I'm kinda regretting making my IA a Operative instead of a sniper. Don't get me wrong I liked leveling up the OP, but with the constant damage nerfs and not big into healing I'm not logging into him anymore.

Operative healing is awesome and looking at the patch notes its going to get even better. I have just recently started dropping into cover and kill stealing in battlegrounds its alot of fun.

Corrosive-dart/Explo-probe/Snipe/ fun stuff.

I do that now. Grys said everyone goes marks and recommended me try engi. I'm liking it so far.
Engi is alright, right now it's more of a novelty than anything, but with the nerf to dots in the last patch and come 1.2 it will be the best spec for objective control of any class.

Until then I really feel MM is the best spec for a premade group, and lethality shines in pugs. They're all viable though so it really just comes down to which you enjoy playing the most.

Wallach

I definitely regret rolling Scoundrel, and I'm a healer (which isn't getting fed a steady stream of small nerfs). Since coming back to the game a couple weeks ago and rolling a BH and Warrior, I've had a much better time with SWTOR. To be honest my Scoundrel is lucky that he has stealth and it makes grinding dailies so easy or I'd be tempted to delete him to get the name back.

HBroward

Predeesh, PM me with your account name(it'll be in the top right when logged in on the SWTOR site) and SWTOR email address. You are the last one I need details from to try and get us copied over to the PTS.

Milly79

Ok, got it that time. Sent in the email with 9 people in it, hopefully we can make it on.

You think it'll matter if I'm not subbed? I only say that if they do it tonight or early tomorrow morning. My sub ran out today and I'm not going to re-up right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How long does it take to get to cap if you just play the game as a single player game? I'm damn interested in the class stories (which I really enjoyed during the free weekend), but I have no real interest in playing the game as a regular MMO.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How long does it take to get to cap if you just play the game as a single player game? I'm damn interested in the class stories (which I really enjoyed during the free weekend), but I have no real interest in playing the game as a regular MMO.

Speed run is 3-4 days (72-100 hours). First time/casual will take 6-7 days playtime, maybe? So over 150 hours. The game's fun as a single player game (play an agent on empire if you really like story--that one is epic), but eventually I feel like you'll get sucked into the MMO aspect willingly or unwillingly. Hopefully the former as I feel the game is really fun with a group. I jumped in expecting to play a few class stories and unsub like a single player game, and ended up getting to know some of the awesome GAF Empire guys and we started up PvP groups and 16 man operation runs. Think we're up there with Prime Defense on best overall KV guilds, as we consistently down 16 man hard mode (soon 8 man nightmare--we haven't done this in awhile), while stomping other pub premades in PvP.

Milly79

4-5 days? seems generous. leveling is a breeze.

ok maybe not so generous compared to priapus.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It took me about 175 hours. Can I ask why you don't want "play it like an MMO"? The grouping and being in a guild is half the fun.

Wallach

Like others said, roughly 150 hours or so your first time.

I will say that while you can definitely solo your way to the level cap (though you won't be able to solo 100% of the quests you receive), you can't just do the class quests all the way to cap. You never actually have to do grinding or anything like that, but you will need to do non-class story side quests and stuff along the way.

Cystm

Blizzard: Drop in WoW subs 'attributable' to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Gamasutra said:
World of Warcraft developer Blizzard has admitted that the behemoth MMO's recent drop in monthly player subscriptions is, in part, down to the launch of rival MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic late last year.

Electronic Arts launched The Old Republic in December last year, and the game quickly brought in 1 million players within three days. EA said last month that the game now has over 1.7 million subscribers, and has sold more than 2 million units worldwide.

Meanwhile, Blizzard's World of Warcraft has been losing subscribers steadily -- at last count in November, the game had 10.3 million players, down from 11.1 million just three months prior to that.

In an interview with Eurogamer, senior World of Warcraft producer John Lagrave said that the game's recent drop in subscriber numbers "has to at least be attributable" to the release of The Old Republic, although he did not divulge updated subscriber numbers.

"We certainly do look at [where WoW players go], and we have a very smart bunch of guys who do our analytics for us," he explained.

"Of course people are trying Star Wars -- our development team are trying Star Wars! I'm one of the few people who's still playing it actually, but yeah we've seen a dip in subs."

He continued, "It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic," but added that "it's also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria [WoW expansion pack due for release later this year], so it's not surprising."

Gamasutra has contacted Blizzard to clarify whether World of Warcraft subscription numbers have dropped since the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Nice jab.

My main to get to 50 was about 160 hrs. People do it in less, but also could take longer if you don't do MP activities which give you lot of xp a well. With the 30 days free you should be able to get at least one character story line done if you play on a regular basis... you would have to play pretty hardcore to play through more than one in 30 days.

WoW killer confirmed.

Milly79

Trevin, I re-upped, but I know for a fact I won't be able to participate in the PTR. I have to have it downloaded and have logged into the PTR already. If it were a sure thing, I would download it, but it would take a few hours (not so good connection) and we have no idea if we will get selected. I hope this doesn't hamper the guild in terms of getting onto the PTR.

HBroward

It shouldn't, I sent in 9 people, so we would still have 8. I never saw the requirement to have downloaded and signed in to the PTS, that may be the instructions we get after we are selected to get copied. They say they will contact you with further information, that sounds like what it will be then.

markatisu

I don't know, I been playing since Early Access and I just got to Lvl 38 with my Commando

I play about 2-3hrs a night, but I do a lot of side missions/story machines/flashpoints

For the most part I play it like a single player game, only time I play it like an MMO is once a night my brother will come on line and we do FP's and other things

I am addicted to gathering materials and crafting, that is where the majority of my time is spent

bjb

Banned
It shouldn't, I sent in 9 people, so we would still have 8. I never saw the requirement to have downloaded and signed in to the PTS, that may be the instructions we get after we are selected to get copied. They say they will contact you with further information, that sounds like what it will be then.

Pretty sure they've closed the guild applications for the PTR anyway, as they've mentioned today their "inbox" is full.

I don't know, I been playing since Early Access and I just got to Lvl 38 with my Commando

I play about 2-3hrs a night, but I do a lot of side missions/story machines/flashpoints

For the most part I play it like a single player game, only time I play it like an MMO is once a night my brother will come on line and we do FP's and other things

I am addicted to gathering materials and crafting, that is where the majority of my time is spent

Playing since early access and only level 38? What in the ...

Wallach

That fuckin' Tattooine balloon despawned on me like no more than 60 seconds away from the datacron. Piece of shit! I'm mad about video games!

I'm not going back for that until 1.2. Fuckin' shit.

bjb

Banned
Yeah I know I am awful, I actually enjoy playing my games rather that just rush through it and moan and bitch for months about how broke it is ;) (not meant as a slam at you btw)

In hindsight I wish I had taken this approach.

Current end-game is where this game absolutely turns to shit.

Looking back the leveling was quite fun (minus the static planets).

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah I know I am awful, I actually enjoy playing my games rather that just rush through it and moan and bitch for months about how broke it is ;) (not meant as a slam at you btw)
There's a difference between taking it slow, and being a sloth. You're the latter.

Completed one of my pre-1.2 goals! Feels good.

Now I have 5000 credits.

I had one of those like 2 months ago and had enough money the last time I logged in to buy another one. Get on my level.

Top Bottom