• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I had one of those like 2 months ago and had enough money the last time I logged in to buy another one. Get on my level.

That's cause I'm one of those sloths ;) Only hit 50 a couple of week ago.

Tess3ract

Banned
What's it derived from? Pretend you were trying to convince someone normal that the implication makes sense, because it sounds hilarious.
By taking forever, you miss out on the interaction with other people who don't play mmos for the journey, but play mmos to be competitive with others. That's the only thing in mmos I'm interested in, no matter if it's wow or star wars or whatever.

By taking forever, you miss out on the interaction with other people who don't play mmos for the journey, but play mmos to be competitive with others. That's the only thing in mmos I'm interested in, no matter if it's wow or star wars or whatever.

Is by interaction you mean we all can bitch about endgame (or lack thereof) because we speed through the game then I agree.

I still think the game hand out way too much experience points and it's shock me (well not really given their level of how clueless they are sometimes) that at guild summit they were saying they didn't think people could level up that fast. I mean seriously, wow have been out for how long and they can not see how fast people level up?

CzarTim

That fuckin' Tattooine balloon despawned on me like no more than 60 seconds away from the datacron. Piece of shit! I'm mad about video games!

I'm not going back for that until 1.2. Fuckin' shit.

That happened to me. I payed a Maurader to push me up.

markatisu

There's a difference between taking it slow, and being a sloth. You're the latter.

Yeah, I am slow so I don't get to hang and complain with all the cool kids

Judging by the bitching here and on the cesspool that is SWTOR's message boards I am keeping myself from the end of the world lol

gatti-man

Another excellent post. Grouping up in this game actually slows your progression. It's much faster to solo rip through. Let people play the game the way they want, no one cares what you think is the best way.

Is by interaction you mean we all can bitch about endgame (or lack thereof) because we speed through the game then I agree.

I still think the game hand out way too much experience points and it's shock me (well not really given their level of how clueless they are sometimes) that at guild summit they were saying they didn't think people could level up that fast. I mean seriously, wow have been out for how long and they can not see how fast people level up?

Leveling was slower during the beta periods as well but they continually upped experience gains because people constantly complained that leveling was too slow or having to grind.

Tess3ract

Banned
Another excellent post. Grouping up in this game actually slows your progression. It's much faster to solo rip through. Let people play the game the way they want, no one cares what you think is the best way.
I don't care what other's think is the best way either, because I know my way is the best way. Not that great with new MMOs though because of the lack of content though.

CzarTim

I don't care what other's think is the best way either, because I know my way is the best way. Not that great with new MMOs though because of the lack of content though.

I'm not surprised you are able to find groups. You seem like a lovely person to be around.

Cystm

I actually don't have problems finding groups. I just group myself with like minded people (who now have all quit because we've done everything worth doing)

6A8eI.gif

Draxal

Just getting into this game - what level will I get a mount? Do any races or classes get one for free?

Three ranks of mounts, which you can train at 25/40/50. If you get the digital deluxe version, there's a free level 25 mount (but not the training for it). None of the classes/races get a free mount.

Three ranks of mounts, which you can train at 25/40/50. If you get the digital deluxe version, there's a free level 25 mount (but not the training for it). None of the classes/races get a free mount.

Thanks dude. I am lvl 13 now, have two lightsabers and about to get my own ship, so getting a mount is the obvious next milestone.

I really dig this game because it's Star Wars, but I'm constantly bothered that it's not real Star Wars. Too bad they didn't just make this in the original trilogy time frame. It gets pretty goofy when you have the exact same sound effects and very similar droids/ships but this tech is supposedly 3,000 years older than what we saw in the movies? Just silly.

Thanks dude. I am lvl 13 now, have two lightsabers and about to get my own ship, so getting a mount is the obvious next milestone.

I really dig this game because it's Star Wars, but I'm constantly bothered that it's not real Star Wars. Too bad they didn't just make this in the original trilogy time frame. It gets pretty goofy when you have the exact same sound effects and very similar droids/ships but this tech is supposedly 3,000 years older than what we saw in the movies? Just silly.

The Old Republic era has been around for a while. Bioware has taken lot of visual identity from the moves and put them in the era, but at the same time with TOR they also put in more of a fantasy aesthetic to lot of the design which helps it to me fit better with the original Old Republic era created by Dark Horse's authors/artists. Tech has changed in many respecs and improved, but much of it has been around forever according to the lore, as much of it is based off tech from ancient civilizations.

The era also opens up lot more story telling possibilities along with continuing from the popular KOTOR games, as original trilogy is highly constrained in what they can do, plus they would have the same issue with force users like SWG had.... *shudder*

I think I prefer it this way rather than being shackle to the original trilogy or prequel lore.

Draxal

Back to the whole leveling debate.

I think by far the best way to do this is in a group of 2, so much easier to grind rep with companions/social (by far the worst rep in the game to grind atm).

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

The Star Wars Universe doesn't really advance much in technology. For every progression there's a regression.

I think by far the best way to do this is in a group of 2, so much easier to grind rep with companions/social (by far the worst rep in the game to grind atm).

Social points don't have much worth to most players currently so people don't group and end up doing SP grinds at the end. With them adding more social rewards though players are going to really want to get their scores up... but I think the Social points level up at incredibly slow rates.

Draxal

Social points don't have much worth to most players currently so people don't group and end up doing SP grinds at the end. With them adding more social rewards though players are going to really want to get their scores up... but I think the Social points level up at incredibly slow rates.

They need to do a pass on social on points (making end game instances give more). The most efficient way to gain social points right now is running Esseles/Black Talon with 4 people at cap, which in all honesty it shouldn't work like that.

However, if you level in a group (such as my friend and gf) you'll end up with Social 5 when hitting 50, which is much more natural way of gaining those points.

They need to do a pass on social on points (making end game instances give more). The most efficient way to gain social points right now is running Esseles/Black Talon with 4 people at cap, which in all honesty it shouldn't work like that.

However, if you level in a group (such as my friend and gf) you'll end up with Social 5 when hitting 50, which is much more natural way of gaining those points.

Yes doing so many Op runs with guild mates and it's pathetic that you get pretty much no social points for playing with people in these, but you got to basically spam the same few instances to get the points.

how bad is the leveling? like how long would it take me to hit the level cap?

Depends how you play..... Quick players get to max in about 100 hours, while those taking their time or doing other things like group activities more around 150-175 hours. I did a good mix of activities with guildies and straight playing, never any grinding and it was 160 hours for me to get to 50.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Yeah, I agree. I duoed my first character to cap with my girlfriend and it was a lot of fun.

Depends on what you mean by "bad". Leveling is the best part of game, IMO. This isn't one of those "game doesn't really begin until cap" type MMOs. I would say it takes anywhere from 100-200 hours to get to the cap depending on how you play. I like to take my time. The only planet I couldn't wait to leave was Taris (Republic side).

TheYanger

I dick around plenty while levelling in MMOs and my played time at 50 wa sjust over 3 days. It's super short.
Anyone taking longer is actively doing nothing for huge stretches of time, cause I spent plenty of time just sitting on the fleet or doing professions. I even left it open while raiding in wow.

StudioTan

I dick around plenty while levelling in MMOs and my played time at 50 wa sjust over 3 days. It's super short.
Anyone taking longer is actively doing nothing for huge stretches of time, cause I spent plenty of time just sitting on the fleet or doing professions. I even left it open while raiding in wow.

That's a load of crap, there are plenty of reasons it takes some people longer that have nothing to do with just doing nothing.

markatisu

That's a load of crap, there are plenty of reasons it takes some people longer that have nothing to do with just doing nothing.

Yup work, job, family, working on helping others, playing Flashpoints, and working on crafting/selling on the GTN

But yeah doing nothing is exactly what people who don't rush are doing

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It took me about 175 hours. Can I ask why you don't want "play it like an MMO"? The grouping and being in a guild is half the fun.

I'd prefer not to play the game with other people. I've had enough of having to schedule my life around a video game, and I want to play whenever i feel like it. Being beholden to a raid group or a guild was the whole reason I quit WoW in the first place.

At most, I might play the game with my roommate if he gets it, but I have no real desire to play TOR as an MMO. I just want more KOTOR.

Also, I find doing quests with other people to be the opposite of fun. People are usually in a rush, and want to do things as fast as possible, and I just want to enjoy the conversation and play at my own pace.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd prefer not to play the game with other people. I've had enough of having to schedule my life around a video game, and I want to play whenever i feel like it. Being beholden to a raid group or a guild was the whole reason I quit WoW in the first place.

At most, I might play the game with my roommate if he gets it, but I have no real desire to play TOR as an MMO. I just want more KOTOR.

Also, I find doing quests with other people to be the opposite of fun. People are usually in a rush, and want to do things as fast as possible, and I just want to enjoy the conversation and play at my own pace.

The key is finding likeminded people who are also playing for the story - that's what my friends and I ended up doing when we were leveling up. We did sidequests together if we happened to be on at the same time, otherwise we focused on our class quests.

Also, there are some key story bits that occur during flashpoints, which you'll need other players for. Especially if you're interested in KOTOR related plot stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The key is finding likeminded people who are also playing for the story - that's what my friends and I ended up doing when we were leveling up. We did sidequests together if we happened to be on at the same time, otherwise we focused on our class quests.

Also, there are some key story bits that occur during flashpoints, which you'll need other players for. Especially if you're interested in KOTOR related plot stuff.

That's what my IRL friends are for. Don't need a guild for that.

That's the nice thing about living where I do. All of my friends are gamers. :)

(as an aside, my roommmate might be signing up for the TOR free weekend trial right now mwahahaha)

HBroward

New patch notes up for the PTS, a couple of nice tweaks in there. Reducing the pvp medpack cooldown from 3m to 1.5m is a relief, although it doesn't mention a similar reduction for the expertise, which I believe is at a 5m cool down on the test server. And for you pubs, looks like Ironfist is finally being fixed.

They're really pulling me back in with this Legacy System. (Working as intended)

Hate that I have to have a pub toon on the same server as my imps.

If you got to 50 in 72 hours, you rushed through it.

Top Bottom