• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

I actually don't have problems finding groups. I just group myself with like minded people (who now have all quit because we've done everything worth doing)

Yet other people are still enjoying the game. Who's doing it wrong again?

Keep in mind I'm working off the assumption that the point of playing games is to enjoy them. If you disagree with this assumption, feel free to say so.

Wallach

Just a heads up, a new VidDoc was released today:

Developer Dispatch: The Legacy System

The top YT quote is actually pretty funny for this clip:

heh, I think I'm going to re-subscribe to TOR now, just so I can get a Jedi to level 50 and create a Trooper WITH NO EYES.
Then I could run around spamming the chat with stuff like:
"Where did he go?"
"Did I hit them?"
"Are they gone?
"I can hear you breathing, I know you're there!"
"Who turned out the lights?"
"Oh crap, I lost my seeing eye droid!"
"lol, so much easier when I don't have to aim down sights."

Scirrocco

The top YT quote is actually pretty funny for this clip:

heh, I think I'm going to re-subscribe to TOR now, just so I can get a Jedi to level 50 and create a Trooper WITH NO EYES.
Then I could run around spamming the chat with stuff like:
"Where did he go?"
"Did I hit them?"
"Are they gone?
"I can hear you breathing, I know you're there!"
"Who turned out the lights?"
"Oh crap, I lost my seeing eye droid!"
"lol, so much easier when I don't have to aim down sights."

So they basically want to make a Imperial storm trooper....

Enosh

damn, had an amazing raid night, killed soa nightmare (third try, second one the platforms bugged, but we went back in without reseting and they were fine), got both nightmare titles (first time for the guild in both cases, did everything except soa on nightmare before, but shit always bugged so we didn't get the titles), main hand, feet and mount :D

only need the pants now ^^

Blu10

Downloading it now for the free weekend, which I assume will take 4-6hrs.... Any suggestions on classes to give a shot, or additional thoughts?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Downloading it now for the free weekend, which I assume will take 4-6hrs.... Any suggestions on classes to give a shot, or additional thoughts?

I think all the classes can be fun and there are multiple healer and dps classes to play so it can depend on what type of story you want. I love my smuggler because the story can be pretty funny and he has great lines. It suits my personality because like me he's a smart ass. The Jedi stories can be more serious. The Imperial agent story is all about being a spy. I haven't seen much of the 2 sith stories but from what I've seen it's all about backstabbing and schemes. Trooper is about being a war hero etc

Since I think the cap is level 15 for the free weekend just take your time and don't skip through the dialogue.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yet other people are still enjoying the game. Who's doing it wrong again?

Keep in mind I'm working off the assumption that the point of playing games is to enjoy them. If you disagree with this assumption, feel free to say so.
The point of games is either to relax, or to be competitive, at least for me it is.

Yes doing so many Op runs with guild mates and it's pathetic that you get pretty much no social points for playing with people in these, but you got to basically spam the same few instances to get the points.

Depends how you play..... Quick players get to max in about 100 hours, while those taking their time or doing other things like group activities more around 150-175 hours. I did a good mix of activities with guildies and straight playing, never any grinding and it was 160 hours for me to get to 50.

okay. Because, i'm used to making .5-1% an hour in another MMO. I didn't want to do that crap again.

gatti-man

The point of games is either to relax, or to be competitive, at least for me it is.

You don't even pvp. To summarize you in this thread....

Spacebar through story, rip through hardmodes then complain about nightmare don't pvp don't alt I'm so elite/unsub.

You represent like .0000001% of mmo players.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
okay. Because, i'm used to making .5-1% an hour in another MMO. I didn't want to do that crap again.

There was a great slide the developers showed at their recent guild summit on how long people spent at each level:

levelingcurve.jpg

As you can see it's a perfect example of what you want, you never end up feeling like you're stuck at any level for an inordinate amount of time.

Tess3ract said:
I don't care what other's think is the best way either, because I know my way is the best way.

Do you see why people think you're a tool now? You are somehow unable to draw a distinction between personal preference and universal fact.

Not to mention the fact that the people you're talking about are actually doing exactly that - relaxing - and yet somehow you say that relaxing is inappropriate for this game?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've been playing since early access. Still only level 41, I believe.

I really appreciated the advice I got several weeks back, when I said I felt I was going too slow and was missing out. A few of you pointed out that I should not concern myself with what other people are doing, and should just play at my own pace. No reason to play a game unless you're having a great time, right? So, after that I played from ~38 to ~41, had a lot of fun, but then ME3 came out and my interest was diverted.

Unlike a lot(!) of people, I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect 3. Thought it was an absolute blast. And so I might replay through the trilogy, and I'm also grabbing Kid Icarus this weekend.

My account expired on the 20th. But I have another 60 Day Time Card sitting right here on my desk. I think I'm gonna wait for the 1.2 patch, and then use up that 60 Days. Should mean there are more people on the planets doing Legacy stuff, and hopefully my Jedi Knight Sent will see a small/medium boost in power. And I'll probably ding 50 and play a bit of endgame stuff.

TL;DR: I appreciate those who told me to not concern myself with other peoples' progress - that there will always be LOTS of people with significantly better gear and exp than you. But there will also always be new players coming in trying it for the first time. Just enjoy the game at your own pace. And I'm just passing that advice along.

bjb

Banned
Had a few random thoughts this morning regarding ToR. In order to preserve or save this game - I really think BioWare needs to do the following:

- Close 1/3 of the servers. There are just way too many servers. Especially for new players to choose from. I doubt they have the technology to merge any of them, but closing dead ones and giving players free transfers to wherever they want will go a long way. Yes some players will be upset about their legacy name being taken (or changed), but it's essential for the long term health and growth of existing servers that aren't dead (yet).

- Immediately put 1.3 on the PTR after 1.2's release. James Ohlen claims to already have people working on content for 1.5 - Therefore, they need to show players that (hopefully) re-sub they're committed to faster content. Personally I think 1.2 is a lot of fluff. Mostly UI changes and basic features that should of been available at launch. As a Raider & PvPer, the Legacy System doesn't really interest me at all.

- Make a big splash. Recent news regarding MMO's centers around Mists and Diablo 3. You could even throw Guild Wars 2 & Secret World in the mix. BioWare needs to advertise something to get the masses excited again. Seems they're really pushing Legacy. Which is fine - and I'm sure some are genuinely excited about it. However, many people simply don't care about leveling (or alts). And would rather have other features or content to look forward too.

As an example; they keep hinting about Guild Capitol ships. Show me a video of piloting my own ship to dock into a capitol one. Hinting at user-controlled space travel. That would be awesome, and certainly create a lot of buzz in my opinion.

Had a few random thoughts this morning regarding ToR. In order to preserve or save this game - I really think BioWare needs to do the following:

- Close 1/3 of the servers. There are just way too many servers. Especially for new players to choose from. I doubt they have the technology to merge any of them, but closing dead ones and giving players free transfers to wherever they want will go a long way. Yes some players will be upset about their legacy name being taken (or changed), but it's essential for the long term health and growth of existing servers that aren't dead (yet).

- Immediately put 1.3 on the PTR after 1.2's release. James Ohlen claims to already have people working on content for 1.5 - Therefore, they need to show players that (hopefully) re-sub they're committed to faster content. Personally I think 1.2 is a lot of fluff. Mostly UI changes and basic features that should of been available at launch. As a Raider & PvPer, the Legacy System doesn't really interest me at all.

- Make a big splash. Recent news regarding MMO's centers around Mists and Diablo 3. You could even throw Guild Wars 2 & Secret World in the mix. BioWare needs to advertise something to get the masses excited again. Seems they're really pushing Legacy. Which is fine - and I'm sure some are genuinely excited about it. However, many people simply don't care about leveling (or alts). And would rather have other features or content to look forward too.

As an example; they keep hinting about Guild Capitol ships. Show me a video of piloting my own ship to dock into a capitol one. Hinting at user-controlled space travel. That would be awesome, and certainly create a lot of buzz in my opinion.

Server merging tech or whatever should be a priority for them.

At guild summit they did state that 1.3 will be out much quicker than it took for 1.2 to come out, Legacy specifically took up alot of time to implement and as it was being done they kept tossing in more and more features into the update that kept making it more bloated. They hope to get out the content updates out on a more regular basis after 1.2

Dunlop

I agree server merges should be the top priority, even when the game launched the instancing made the environments very stale, now as I level my sorc I am constantly on planets where there is 2 or 3 other people.

There is absolutely no way they could get people to give up their legacy names, my wife's cousin is the worl's biggest Star Wars geek, I hit 50 pretty fast and it took dozens of names before one was accepted.

They would need to have a system where you could not have the same Character AND Legacy name for any hope in hell of this to fly

CzarTim

Total noob here, but how do I make a custom UI? Are there addons in this game like in WoW?

Also, can someone please post the recent patch notes here? I heard there was a patch today but all the swtor sites are blocked at my work.

Custom UI will come with 1.2. And it's not add-on based, just window moving and such. Today's patch was for server stability and to fix an exploit in Voidstar.

markatisu

Total noob here, but how do I make a custom UI? Are there addons in this game like in WoW?

Also, can someone please post the recent patch notes here? I heard there was a patch today but all the swtor sites are blocked at my work.

Custom UI is a 1.2 thing, so unless you are on the test server you can't do it till that rolls out

Here are the patch notes for 3/23

1.1.5d Patch Notes
3/23/2012
General

*Implemented changes to improve overall server stability.

PvP

Voidstar
*Players will no longer be able to exit the starting area earlier than intended.

Kem0sabe

Been almost 2 months since i quit, and i can honestly say that i haven´t missed the game, looking back i can see how the time i spent playing amounted to little more than a glorified single player RPG campaign.

With the amazing footage i´ve been seeing from the secret world, guild wars 2 and diablo 3, i can´t see how this game will maintain any significant hold on the mmorpg market (enough to keep justifying the massive investments in new content).

Tess3ract

Banned
You don't even pvp. To summarize you in this thread....

Spacebar through story, rip through hardmodes then complain about nightmare don't pvp don't alt I'm so elite/unsub.

You represent like .0000001% of mmo players.

I got to 40+ valor uhhhhh

That is quite a lot of pvp to me.

Do you see why people think you're a tool now? You are somehow unable to draw a distinction between personal preference and universal fact.

Not to mention the fact that the people you're talking about are actually doing exactly that - relaxing - and yet somehow you say that relaxing is inappropriate for this game?
Regardless that I'm doing this on purpose to elicit a specific response, I can't see why people would play this casually unless they were too busy with other things in order to do anything else. Otherwise, the point of mmos is to play competitively. If you want to play something casual, play PvZ or something.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Unlike a lot(!) of people, I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect 3. Thought it was an absolute blast.
Don't let the ending controversy fool you - there are actually a lot of people who actually enjoyed ME3, even think the game is a GOTY contender, but still think the ending was very poor. But I can see why that would ruin the game for them despite the rest of the experience.

Tess3ract

Banned
It ruins the experience because you know how the game ends, and how poorly it ends. Suddenly you realize that nothing you do previously or on a replay makes any difference.

It kills the will to replay, especially when the game was advertised differently.

Nightz

If I cancel my subscription now but still have days of playtime left, will I be able to play those remaining days out? Or will my sub end the moment I cancel?

Isaccard

It's amazing that people who aren't playing the game anymore/unsubbed/ can still enter the thread to said game and assume any opinions they have are relevant or that anyone particularly cares.

If you're unsubbed from the game, why not unsub from the thread too?

Tess3ract

Banned
It's amazing that people who aren't playing the game anymore/unsubbed/ can still enter the thread to said game and assume any opinions they have are relevant or that anyone particularly cares.

I find it more offensive that people who aren't subbed aren't allowed to converse or express opinions, as if not playing makes anything they say invalid regardless if they went over the same content as everyone else and there has been no major changes just yet.

markatisu

If I cancel my subscription now but still have days of playtime left, will I be able to play those remaining days out? Or will my sub end the moment I cancel?

You can play till the time runs out

That does not really amaze me or bother me, I mean people unsubbed and want different things then what the game provides. They have legit complaints "for their playstyle", most I don't agree with but we obviously play the game one way, so different strokes for different folks.

What I cannot understand is everytime the game gets a change we have to hear about how that is not good enough to resub and then what they want to make them resub. Not naming names (and its nobody I think in the last few pages) but it does get redundant to harp on something and tell us what should be done again and again.

Though you want to see amazing things go to the SWTOR boards lol

Cystm

Imagine you're happy on your low pop server, you've got your legacy name and characters all plotted out, and then they force you into a new server where you no longer have your name available.

Now consider low pop servers slowly dying as people either reroll on a different server or quit entirely.

They ultimately need to pull the trigger on this one. People are never going to be completely happy and find something to complain about no matter how much fun they are actually having playing the game. How do they mitigate fan disappointment as much as possible without watching server/subs slowly decay without taking an inevitable action?

I think what they are trying to do (obviously)is bring in more players to populate the servers by adding more to the game. Hopefully, it works.

Imagine you're happy on your low pop server, you've got your legacy name and characters all plotted out, and then they force you into a new server where you no longer have your name available.

Now consider low pop servers slowly dying as people either reroll on a different server or quit entirely.

They ultimately need to pull the trigger on this one. People are never going to be completely happy and find something to complain about no matter how much fun they are actually having playing the game. How do they mitigate fan disappointment as much as possible without watching server/subs slowly decay without taking an inevitable action?

I think what they are trying to do (obviously)is bring in more player to populate the servers.

They should just let players have the same Legacy name if you want. Don't see why it's that big of deal outside there going to be tons of Skywalkers suddenly, but names are not unique.

At launch everyone was saying how opening so many servers was gonna bit them on the ass, it always does, and look what happened.

markatisu

At launch everyone was saying how opening so many servers was gonna bit them on the ass, it always does, and look what happened.

Yup they should have just stayed strong on the queue and told people to stfu as it would have worked out eventually, but apparently from the ME3 and DA2 debacle's Bioware cannot stand when their fans are upset and cave to their whining

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Don't let the ending controversy fool you - there are actually a lot of people who actually enjoyed ME3, even think the game is a GOTY contender, but still think the ending was very poor. But I can see why that would ruin the game for them despite the rest of the experience.

I'm one of those people. I think the rest of the game is brilliant. I just think the last 1% of the game is utterly awful.

Sounds like they are going to be adding also to the tool tips the % chance to research a new schematic.

Be nice if they can do that also to factor in and determine the % cance of crit crafting something which is going to be high in demand especially for the crit crafted orange gear

StudioTan

Regardless that I'm doing this on purpose to elicit a specific response, I can't see why people would play this casually unless they were too busy with other things in order to do anything else. Otherwise, the point of mmos is to play competitively. If you want to play something casual, play PvZ or something.

Maybe for you, but that's not a general fact or anything. I don't play MMOs to play competitively at all. I play for a sense of immersion that I can share with others.

Might want to read up on the Bartle test.

Great so you admit you're trolling. Discussion over

Tess3ract

Banned
Great so you admit you're trolling. Discussion over
Not really. It's how I truly feel, I'm not taking back my statements though I understand my opinions don't apply to everyone.

Maybe for you, but that's not a general fact or anything. I don't play MMOs to play competitively at all. I play for a sense of immersion that I can share with others.

Might want to read up on the Bartle test.

This seems interesting.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN: A.E.S.K.
Achiever: 73%, Explorer: 60%, Socializer: 47%, Killer: 20%

Jomjom

Banned
Are they adding in more armor choices to 1.2? What about lowering your hood? I absolutely hate the equipment choices for Jedi Sentinel. I haven't seen my character's hair in so long that I no longer remember what she looks like - she's just bald to me now. Even the orange moddable stuff is all horrible.

Also how long can I stay unsubbed before Bioware will delete my character?

Are they adding in more armor choices to 1.2? What about lowering your hood? I absolutely hate the equipment choices for Jedi Sentinel. I haven't seen my character's hair in so long that I no longer remember what she looks like - she's just bald to me now. Even the orange moddable stuff is all horrible.

Also how long can I stay unsubbed before Bioware will delete my character?

They don't delete characters, hardly any MMO out there deletes a persons characters, you generally can skip years and come back and most of the time your character is fine.

They are adding new pve and pvp armor sets in 1.2, along with new schematics for various other things. Theres also the legacy armor sets (armor you can loot that is meant to be given to your alts). New social sets are also on the way but not sure if much is in 1.2

Jomjom

Banned
They don't delete characters, hardly any MMO out there deletes a persons characters, you generally can skip years and come back and most of the time your character is fine.

They are adding new pve and pvp armor sets in 1.2, along with new schematics for various other things. Theres also the legacy armor sets (armor you can loot that is meant to be given to your alts). New social sets are also on the way but not sure if much is in 1.2

Awesome to hear! Thanks!

gatti-man

Lvl40 is is hardly anything. Its the equivalent of beating most of the base flashpoints.

Feel the anger of gatti-man.

You should pvp with me lol

Top Bottom