• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

arimanius

PerfectDuke: Are you really removing the giggle/laugh for scoundrels when Upper Hand procs in Game Update 1.2? As a healer, having the audio cue is great for focusing on... well, healing. Especially if the proc comes off of my hot, slow-release medpac.

Austin: The change was intended to prevent sound fatigue when lots of these procs were going off in a small area (especially in operations). We are looking into ways of making this proc more visible going forward.

There goes any hope I had that they would keep the giggle.

antonz

Ohlen slipped and said next week in a PAX East panel. My guess is late next week.

Yeah this upcoming week seems likely. They say its not coming tuesday but that makes sense because they have specifically stated Tuesdays Maint will be website only. So sometime in the week they have server maint

Kyari

I want 1.2 to be here already so they can get on with adding stuff I'd care about. Legacy system has little interest for me. :(

HBroward

The last time there was a three day weekend the patch day was on Wednesday the next week. So that would be a decent guess. Also, here is something that is rather important from the Pax East panel today:

Q: I know in 1.2 the endgame mats (i.e. alien data cubes, rakata energy nodes) are going to change to BoE from BoP, will things that we already have that are bound to us – will they change to BoE? (i.e. alien data cube will still be bound to us or will they change to BoE)
A: They will still be bound to you.

So much for making a killing off all these stored up mats.

Jomjom

Banned
Wow this is total crap...

So I'm a Jedi Knight and I'm on the World Mission "The Trials" on Voss. I was on the part where there's a giant monster being held by 4 shields. I died while killing the 2nd shield and got kicked out of that weird yellow spirit world. Now when I go back in to the spirit world, all the doors are closed and I can't get back in the room to finish those 2 shields.

I cannot abandon nor can I reset the mission. What the heck am I supposed to do to proceed? I can't believe that there are game ending bugs like this in this game.

Giolon

So I'm a Jedi Knight and I'm on the World Mission "The Trials" on Voss. I was on the part where there's a giant monster being held by 4 shields. I died while killing the 2nd shield and got kicked out of that weird yellow spirit world. Now when I go back in to the spirit world, all the doors are closed and I can't get back in the room to finish those 2 shields.

I cannot abandon nor can I reset the mission. What the heck am I supposed to do to proceed? I can't believe that there are game ending bugs like this in this game.

First of all - if it's a bug, it's not a game ending bug. You can continue on your class quest and progress. Finishing the Voss planetary quest line isn't critical to progressing on your character. Only your class quest is.

As for the situation you're in, I've died on that step of the quest many times both in beta and live. IIRC, you talk to one of the Voss or something near the alter in the first room of the trial to return to the Spirit World.

If it turns out there's nothing that works, be sure to file a /bug on it. Bioware can't fix the problem if it isn't reported. And yes, games have bugs. Sometimes serious ones.

markatisu

Reminds me of the Trooper's Stay Frosty bug

I always think it's funny how a lot of the people that shit on wow, claim this game is great, are all wow refugees. IF you don't like WoW because you've played it since 2004, then just say that. Don't act like WoW is just some horrible game and SWTOR is the most amazing shit ever, because that's fucking retarded. If ANYTHING, ToR should have taken more from the WoW playbook and ran with it. There are parts of this game that are shamingly unpolished. I'm of the opinion that 1.2 is what the game should have been on launch.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I always think it's funny how a lot of the people that shit on wow, claim this game is great, are all wow refugees. IF you don't like WoW because you've played it since 2004, then just say that. Don't act like WoW is just some horrible game and SWTOR is the most amazing shit ever, because that's fucking retarded. If ANYTHING, ToR should have taken more from the WoW playbook and ran with it. There are parts of this game that are shamingly unpolished. I'm of the opinion that 1.2 is what the game should have been on launch.

What does that even mean? Should have been? Some of these features would have been welcome but the nothing that is in 1.2 is so crucial that they should have delayed the launch for 4 months for it. Even if all this stuff had been there at launch people would STILL have burned through all the content and complained that they needed more and people would STILL be asking for more features because there are always features you could add that someone out there deems vital for them to play. Then when they added that content and those features people would STILL say "yeah, well they should have had all this stuff at launch".

This kinda came out of nowhere. TOR fan pissed on your corn flakes today?

gatti-man

I haven't played wow in 2 years. No one is saying swtor is the greatest ever.

Zafir

I don't think I ever insulted WoW. Most people, and myself, are just trying to point out it's absolutely absurd to compare WoW to SWTOR in terms of content and polish. I'd be damn disappointed if WoW wasn't polished, or had an insane amount of content considering they've spent 11 years on the game. Compare that to SWTOR which has been in development for 3/4 years, it just isn't going to compare.

SWTOR is far from perfect at this stage, there's a lot of issues that need addressing. However, that's to be expected for an mmorpg which is still relatively new.

Heysoos

Sentinel/Mar question:

As a Watchman spec Sentinel, what enhancement should I be focusing on? Crit+Surge or Power+Surge. Can't find a good answer online.

markatisu

So you can't do that one because it's glitched?...I tried figuring it out and couldn't so I just did the rest in there...or did I miss the switches or whatever?

No you can do it, if you mess it up (like most of us do because its a shitty mission) it won't let you restart it, abandon it, or do anything else with it.

Most of us just want to be able to abandon it, but its pretty much locked out if you fail and you are not allowed to remove it

Holy shit this came out of nowhere lol

With that said I think a lot of people realize that certain aspects of 1.2 was what the game should have launched with but they rushed it for Christmas sales/hype so we are just getting some of the things now.

Enosh

Sentinel/Mar question:

As a Watchman spec Sentinel, what enhancement should I be focusing on? Crit+Surge or Power+Surge. Can't find a good answer online.
surge to about 70tish %, after that the diminishing returns get way too high
crit, idk, I think I have it at 27% now in full rakata, 25-30% somewhere between that should be o.k., 25 itself is probably fine given that berserk gives 100% dot crits and juyo mastery gives you 3% crit per juyo stack (15% in total) for your dots
rest power, oh and accuracy to about 8% or 10%, people aren't sure on that one

http://shrani.si/f/1b/yW/aCq5dxr/screenshot2012-04-080110.jpg
these are my current stats, trying to drop 2 hit for some more surge, but christ the +power and +surge enchantment doesn't drop and when it does someone else usually rolls higher -.- did get one through
mind you this is me being a lazy fuck and not getting any datacrons other than the +10 one ^^
oh and self buff +rakata stim

Ripclawe

Banned
playing another free weekend and so far the sith storylines are much more interesting to me than alliance.. The Jedi starting bit was horribly boring.

and the fact they didn't have sprint before as a a normal skill is a crime.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sentinel/Mar question:

Yeah you want to max out on surge, i think 73-75% is a good range, make sure you have at least 25% buffed crit, and then stack power like a boss. In full PvE gear and warrior buff + biochem stim I'm resting at 970+ mh damage, 550 power, 26.5% crit, and 75% surge.

playing another free weekend and so far the sith storylines are much more interesting to me than alliance.. The Jedi starting bit was horribly boring.

and the fact they didn't have sprint before as a a normal skill is a crime.

Sith story lines are more interesting from the get go. Jedi stuff starts boring but gets much better and quite interesting as it progresses.

Tarazet

Honestly, self healing on a merc isn't as good as you seem to think it is due to how the resource system works. Even healing spec you can overheat if you don't watch out or if everyone's taking a lot of damage(Merc AoE is shit).

I'd agree Damage wise they're definitely easier to play than a lot of classes. I don't think survivability is as great as you say though. If you're being focused on, you wont have time to get one of the heals off, and even then they only heal for around 2500 unspecced, plus they take up a lot of heat. Tracer missile is easily interrupted, too.

If I'm on my Assassin tank defending a turret and a Commando comes by, we fight for a while and both get close to gone, I've worked hard to get my three stacks of Harnessed Darkness with Recklessness plus all of my defensive cooldowns to survive long enough to get the guy close to dead, and then he stuns me to heal and resets the fight - sans all of my cooldowns - yes, I fucking rage. And interrupts.. wow, you can't use the ability for 4 more seconds, and the interrupt is on a long cooldown. Whatever else can a Commando do if he's not using Grav Round? And let's not forget about their ridiculous spammable shield that lasts forever and absorbs more damage than my cooldowns as a tank, and the uninterruptible healing they can do!

Melee seems to be where the survivability issues fall in my opinion. I went Rage spec on my Jugg last night. Does great damage, but if you haven't got an healer, you just die far too much since people focus on you as you're in their face. At least with ranged you can hide back a bit while dps'ing.

As a melee DPS the natural inclination is to get into the thick of things, but if you do that, you're essentially trying to DPS and tank at the same time. A good DPS will learn how to fight on their terms, and not showboat and get themselves killed.

Cystm

If I'm on my Assassin tank defending a turret and a Commando comes by, we fight for a while and both get close to gone, I've worked hard to get my three stacks of Harnessed Darkness with Recklessness plus all of my defensive cooldowns to survive long enough to get the guy close to dead, and then he stuns me to heal and resets the fight - sans all of my cooldowns - yes, I fucking rage. And interrupts.. wow, you can't use the ability for 4 more seconds, and the interrupt is on a long cooldown. Whatever else can a Commando do if he's not using Grav Round? And let's not forget about their ridiculous spammable shield that lasts forever and absorbs more damage than my cooldowns as a tank, and the uninterruptible healing they can do!

As a melee DPS the natural inclination is to get into the thick of things, but if you do that, you're essentially trying to DPS and tank at the same time. A good DPS will learn how to fight on their terms, and not showboat and get themselves killed.

Interrupts:
  1. Spike
  2. Electrocute
  3. Overload
  4. Whirlwind
    And
  5. Low Slash or Force Pull Depending on what an assassin's spec is.

You are over dramatizing the match up, or are just not properly utilizing your abilities at the right time.

When he shields - Whirlwind. CD? Force Cloak. CD? Electrocute. CD? Overload -> Wither or Force Slow -> Force Speed -> LoS. Resolve bar not full? Force Shroud. etc, etc.

You are not supposed to be invincible (You can be by outplaying bad players, but 1 v 1 against an opponent at the same skill level - it should be about 50 - 50.)

vilmer_

I can't say I have any problem at all with taking down a target now, regardless of class. Gonna suck eating a nerf in 1.2, but I have so much fun with the Focus Guardian 'one trick pony' :p

Dunlop

I never really did the space missions on my main, but am enjoying them on my alt...but

I seem to be stuck with missions I cannot complete (3 now). It is always the same there is some gunship (bigger than a fighter, not a frigate) that tears the living shit out of me.

I've tried to make sure all my missles are ready and unload, I've tried to just dodge keeping my shields up and by the time the ship is gone (I can never tell if it was me that killed it or it just went away) I will have maybe 10% life left.

My ship is grade 5 in everything...any have any insight?

I never really did the space missions on my main, but am enjoying them on my alt...but

I seem to be stuck with missions I cannot complete (3 now). It is always the same there is some gunship (bigger than a fighter, not a frigate) that tears the living shit out of me.

I've tried to make sure all my missles are ready and unload, I've tried to just dodge keeping my shields up and by the time the ship is gone (I can never tell if it was me that killed it or it just went away) I will have maybe 10% life left.

Remember in case you don't know (many actually don't), but you can control your ships movement using the normal arrow keys while using the mouse cursor to aim. It really helps you avoid alot of damage and do frequent barrel rolls when the fire concentration gets hot.

And of course lots of quick missile spam while holding down the fire button can bring down those gun ships down. You just gotta constantly be moving while keeping your fire directed onto the gun ships

HBroward

Have you used fleet coms to buy the extra gear for your ship? The power converter is crucial, you can divert energy from the shields to the guns or vice versa, doubling the damage or recharge rate of each while halving the other. So shooting things, you switch it to the lasers, in between encounters you charge the shield up super fast.

Matchew

Just got the game and a 60 day subscription...This is my first MMO any tips? What class has the best story or gameplay?

antonz

Just got the game and a 60 day subscription...This is my first MMO any tips? What class has the best story or gameplay?

Depends what you like really.

Agents are very Jame Bondish for instance and live a very grey life in a black and white world.

Inquisitors dont really live upto the potential the class could have story wise but are still fun.

Bounty Hunters are pretty decent but the overall story is very repetative as the whole story centers around bounty hunting from start to end with some revenge here and there.

Warriors are decent.

Jedi are kinda bland to start and very jedi like so dont expect awesomeness right away but as the stories progress they get better.

I was looking to play as a Sith Marauder. Any impressions for those guys....

Thanks for the reply

Supposedly a very hard class to play, getting a buff next patch tho.

My graphics card decided to blow up on me so I havent been on for like 3 days, need 2 more valor levels on Azura to hit 65 so hopefully i'll get my laptop running tomorrow and hammer them out.

Matchew

Oh that's too bad. Which class is good for beginner? I really just want to roll with a bad ass lightsaber guy, what is the best class to do that and the easiest for a newbie. Also, this is my first MMO and I don't really want to fight other people. I just want to do some quest and story missions by myself for a little while, what type of server do I play on?

Thanks for the reply guys

Heysoos

Oh that's too bad. Which class is good for beginner? I really just want to roll with a bad ass lightsaber guy, what is the best class to do that and the easiest for a newbie. Also, this is my first MMO and I don't really want to fight other people. I just want to do some quest and story missions by myself for a little while, what type of server do I play on?

Thanks for the reply guys

I would say either Shadow/Assassin (Consular/Inquisitor). I'm currently playing a (Jedi Knight) Sentinel (Marauder is the Sith mirror) but I don't think it's the most user friendly. That said, if you care to put the time into learning it and doing some light research on the forums and stuff, it's great fun to run around with 2 lightsabers wrecking havoc.

That said, the most user friendly class is probably the Trooper/Bounty Hunter

bjb

Banned
Supposedly a very hard class to play, getting a buff next patch tho.

Negative. Sith Marauder is by far one of (if not the) easiest classes to play in the game.

In addition to doing top damage throughout all Warzones and Operations, we also have the second best mobility in PvP. Marauder is simply OP. Period. Definitely a solid choice for anyone picking up the game.

In regards to next patch. The buff to ravage is completely unnecessary, but I'm fairly sure Georg Zoeller knows what he's doing
lol

Dunlop

Negative. Sith Marauder is by far one of (if not the) easiest classes to play in the game.

In addition to doing top damage throughout all Warzones and Operations, we also have the second best mobility in PvP. Marauder is simply OP. Period. Definitely a solid choice for anyone picking up the game.

In regards to next patch. The buff to ravage is completely unnecessary, but I'm fairly sure Georg Zoeller knows what he's doing
lol

But they have a learning curve to play, they are powerful from someone who knows how.

I have to say Sorc fits the bill of epic lightsaber story line and EZmode to play, they have the utility to do pretty much everything

I'll hit 49 or 50 tonight and spent most of the process fighting mobs that were 3 levels higher than me

lol

For Guardians/Juggernaughts it most definitely is needed and welcome. For 1.2 it's also just the recent entry in the long list of buffs that also will apply to the Sentinel/Mauraders who are going to be the next class everyone is screaming over.

They were always good but people whined as if they were shit for so long. Such nonsense.

Top Bottom